PPP -- Ohio Obama 49 Romney 45
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 07:17:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  2012 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  PPP -- Ohio Obama 49 Romney 45
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: PPP -- Ohio Obama 49 Romney 45  (Read 2126 times)
pa2011
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 30, 2012, 06:24:43 PM »

No link yet. PPP's previous Ohio poll had it Obama 50 Romney 45, so essentially stable.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 07:33:12 PM »

In before republicans say these are 'good news' for Romney.
NVGonzalez
antwnzrr
Mexico

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 07:50:57 PM »

It gives a glimmer of hope for Romney, I guess.
LiberalJunkie
LiberalJunkie99
Canada

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 07:57:19 PM »

And this is before the debates where Romney will fail in horribly....poor mittens...
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 07:59:26 PM »

Obama isnt winning it by 10, this is more realistic.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 08:00:32 PM »

Pretty bad news for Romney. I suppose someone who feels like spinning can point out the one-point improvement and the fact that some recent polls have had particularly outlandish, near double-digit margins (though those were always obvious outliers), and PPP having a Democratic tilt. These particular numbers strike me as altogether correct, I'm afraid.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 08:01:00 PM »

Bad days for Romney when a poll that shows him down 4 in a must win state is good news.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 08:02:13 PM »

I wonder how PPP waives its wand to correct into a true random sample. I want a list!

Anyway, this is like a lifeboat baby.  Now some killjoy will start chatting about margin of error. Stop it!  
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 08:06:01 PM »
« Edited: September 30, 2012, 08:08:04 PM by Torie »

Bad days for Romney when a poll that shows him down 4 in a must win state is good news.

Putting aside the issue of whether or not the poll is some evil Dem plot to make Mittens look more viable than he is at the moment (sort of like a counterspy, counterspy spy on the counterspy in an overly complex spy novel), it's the trend baby. But a 4 point lead means Ohio is trending Dem hardly at all, maybe just a tad to dead even PVI. That's lifeboat country baby. That's like what it wouuld be to the Japanese military regime if the USA dropped its entire inventory of two atom bombs on Japan, and both failed to ignite.
Mister Twister

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 08:10:51 PM »

Putting aside the issue of whether or not the poll is some evil Dem plot to make Mittens look more viable than he is at the moment (sort of like a counterspy, counterspy spy on the counterspy in an overly complex spy novel), it's the trend baby. But a 4 point lead means Ohio is trending Dem hardly at all, maybe just a tad to dead even PVI. That's lifeboat country baby. That's like what it wouuld be to the Japanese military regime if the USA dropped its entire inventory of two atom bombs on Japan, and both failed to ignite.

Are you drunk? This post is a load of nonsensical drivel.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 08:16:49 PM »

Obama not at 50%? Safe R.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 08:17:58 PM »

For those who like to play the party id game, the party id on this poll is three points more Republican than 2008.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 08:19:27 PM »
« Edited: September 30, 2012, 08:21:23 PM by Torie »

Do you always pull your punches this way?  Tongue  Moving right along, do we understand what the word "trend" means?  Just asking.
Mister Twister

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2012, 08:26:33 PM »

Do you always pull your punches this way?  Tongue  Moving right along, do we understand what the word "trend" means?  Just asking.

Well, the last PPP poll in OH from 3 weeks ago had Obama up by 5. This one has him up by 4. I wouldn't call that a trend so much as statistical noise but we are all entitled to our own views about the current state of the race, I suppose.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2012, 09:20:02 PM »

For those who like to play the party id game, the party id on this poll is three points more Republican than 2008.

That seems about right. Enthusiasm is not at 2008 levels and never will be. Obama just isn't going to be able to get the unlikely voters out again to the same extent.

Obama's definitely leading in Ohio at this point, so this poll seems reasonable enough.
MorningInAmerica
polijunkie3057
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.55, S: 0.52

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2012, 09:35:49 PM »
« Edited: September 30, 2012, 09:50:23 PM by MorningInAmerica »

From Tom Jensen (PPP):
You must be logged in to read this quote.

So Obama's job rating with Ohio undecideds is 13/65%. You can bet, at that rate, at least 65% of undecideds would break to Romney (if you buy the PPP internals of couse).

Also, if the PPP numbers were reweighted to match 2008 CNN Ohio exit polling on partisan identification, Obama would be ahead 49-43%. http://partisanid.blogspot.com/2012/09/ppp-shows-tightening-in-ohio-race-obama.html

It is not normal for a campaign to cheer being four points behind in a battleground state, but after the week of awful Ohio polls Romney just had, I'm sure they're happy with this one.
pa2011
Rookie
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2012, 09:41:22 PM »
« Edited: September 30, 2012, 09:47:44 PM by pa2011 »

Not sure why everyone assumes that there is going to be this big drop off in Democratic participation while GOP enthusiasm remains high. Frankly, based on what I see in my daily travels, it seems to me the biggest risk of poor turnout is among marginal Republican white,  both blue-collar and middle manager type, middle-aged men. They are the type of voters who overwhelmingly supported Bush in 00 and '04 and likely McCain, because they like a muscular foreign policy, etc.

Anyway, seems this time many  are increasingly disallusioned with Romney and hearing them say things like, they don't like either candidate and may not vote. Just something to consider, based only on my personal conservations.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2012, 09:44:45 PM »

Its been at the core of their electoral calculations for the last 2 years - they need Dem participation down and hope the 2010 anger stays in place...

FTR, I never expected Obama to win OH by 8+ this poll is much closer to the result I expect.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2012, 09:47:09 PM »

Work to be done.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2012, 12:05:05 AM »

A) Still 2008-like.

B) Another good poll for Obama in the mix of other good polls.

C) I'd start to worry if there are 3 polls in a row that show Romney in a tie.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2012, 05:06:31 AM »

Putting aside the issue of whether or not the poll is some evil Dem plot to make Mittens look more viable than he is at the moment (sort of like a counterspy, counterspy spy on the counterspy in an overly complex spy novel), it's the trend baby. But a 4 point lead means Ohio is trending Dem hardly at all, maybe just a tad to dead even PVI. That's lifeboat country baby.

This trend is caused entirely by the racist videa, Torie, and will end in Romney taking Ohio by election day.  Your party can win on racism - it is the proven strategy for the GOP.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2012, 05:08:09 AM »

I'm happy to welcome the return of pessimistic opebo...
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2012, 05:09:33 AM »

I understand how little it takes to re-ignite the latent fires of hatred, Polnut.  I'm from Missouri after all.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2012, 05:13:51 AM »

I understand how little it takes to re-ignite the latent fires of hatred, Polnut.  I'm from Missouri after all.

Don't get me wrong, I don't disagree with the premise, I just disagree with your conclusion.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2012, 05:21:48 AM »

Don't get me wrong, I don't disagree with the premise, I just disagree with your conclusion.

Well, don't get ME wrong either, I admit even in a high-level outburst of racist frenzy, there is still a possible route to victory for Obama - it depends either on either Iowans or Wisconsans being less racist than Ohioans, which I think they are, or on Virginia being more demographically changed than I for one perceive it to yet be:

Obviously this is like threading the needle, because Colorado is also incredibly close.. just not much effectd by anti-black racism.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies