Coke vs. Pepsi Election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:05:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Coke vs. Pepsi Election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Coke vs. Pepsi Election  (Read 28659 times)
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2012, 04:17:32 PM »

This thread reminds me of this map:

What's weird to me is that a good part of southern appalachia (the parts in TN, NC, and south of that) heavily use the term "coke" for soft drinks. Are those parts of the "central appalachia" where Pepsi outsells Coke? I can't imagine using "Coke" as the word for soft drinks but also preferring Pepsi to Coca-Cola. Does that mean you would say "My favorite kind of coke is Pepsi"?
I'm from the Midwest, and we call it "pop", and even up here I hear people genericize "Coke".  I also have relatives living Texas who say that most people there either call it "coke" or "soda."  I've heard some people there call soft drinks "soda coke", though.  Not a surprise, since everybody knows that Coke is immensely more popular than Pepsi in the South.  (For that reason, I would guess that liberals would prefer Pepsi, and ironically, it also means Democrats probably drank more Coke than Republicans for most of our history. Smiley

For that matter, I went to Arby's today and had some Pepsi there.  It tasted really watered down and there seemed to be hardly any sweetness at all.  I don't know if it's just because it was in a paper cup, but it seemed odd.  I like both Coke and Pepsi, but I could only tell you which I prefer from a taste test.  But if this was any sign, then I would probably have to say that I like Coke more.  I've had plenty of Coke in paper cups and it tastes fine, probably because it just seems to have more flavor.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2012, 07:44:49 PM »

Pop: 160 (Blue)
Coke: 152 (Red)
Soda: 226 (Green)

The light colors (30%) mean that I couldn't really tell which one would win a majority, but I went where I think the most population lies.

Missouri - I think the bulk of population would be on the Mississippi River so it goes to soda

Nevada - I think Las Vegas county went for soda, so I made the state go for it.

Oklahoma - Not sure where the population is, but it looks like coke...

New Mexico - I feel more strongly that its coke than Oklahoma

Kentucky - Split between coke and pop. If you think pop won this one then flip it, I have no idea.

North Carolina - Not a damn clue.

Virginia - Think its more soda than anything else.

South Carolina - Leans coke

Wisconsin - If you think the bulk of population is in eastern Wisconsin then flip it to soda.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2012, 10:38:51 PM »

Aha, looks like Springfield is right inside the upper part of the yellow in Illinois, right where my dad, who called it "soda" or "soda pop" came from.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2012, 07:17:31 AM »

How did this go from Coke vs. Pepsi to soda vs. pop vs. Coke?
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2012, 10:33:41 AM »

You posted that map...
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2012, 02:58:11 PM »

You posted that map...

Actually, I posted that map. Sorry for derailing the thread Tongue
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2019, 03:40:16 AM »

I have way too much time on my hands. I can't believe how wrong the nation got it.

I compared search data by state for 'Coca-Cola' versus 'Pepsi' and this is what resulted:

Coca-Cola: 72 EVs
Pepsi: 462 EVs
Tossup: 4 EVs

Disgusting. Although, about 10 Pepsi states came very close to flipping into the Coke column.

I then went back and did 'Coca Cola' and 'Pepsi' and the results were much more even, yet with distinct regional trends.

Coca Cola: 322 EVs
Pepsi: 203 EVs
Tossup: 13 EVs

Six years later...

Data for the past twelve months, using the two above search comparisons, respectively:

Coca-Cola: 479 EVs
Pepsi: 44 EVs
Tossup: 15 EVs

Coca Cola: 513 EVs
Pepsi: 22 EVs
Tossup: 3 EVs
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2019, 09:58:21 AM »

With this map I used Google search trends, and in an attempt to make the results close I limited the trends to only the "Business & Industrial" category of trends.

Coke: 337
Pepsi: 201

In this map, Coke and Pepsi do well in each of their "home" states (GA & NY), with Coke winning an Obama-2012ian victory, and the geography is pretty neat (states at >40% represent 50-50 results in the trend data). Also, this will be the 2048 electoral map.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2019, 10:15:26 AM »

This thread reminds me of this map:

What's weird to me is that a good part of southern appalachia (the parts in TN, NC, and south of that) heavily use the term "coke" for soft drinks. Are those parts of the "central appalachia" where Pepsi outsells Coke? I can't imagine using "Coke" as the word for soft drinks but also preferring Pepsi to Coca-Cola. Does that mean you would say "My favorite kind of coke is Pepsi"?
As a resident of a "solid coke" county, I honestly don't hear it often. I only ever say soda, but my family is from the deep yellow north. Still, I feel like coke isn't as common here as people think. If I ask for coke I get coke, not "what kind?".
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies