NE2: The Clean Government Act of 2012
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:28:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NE2: The Clean Government Act of 2012
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NE2: The Clean Government Act of 2012  (Read 1943 times)
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 05, 2012, 09:49:19 PM »

The Clean Government Act of 2012

1. Beginning July 1, 2013, all publications and official documents published by the Northeast government shall be done so on at least 80% recycled paper.
2. Beginning January 1, 2014, all buildings and vehicles operated by the Northeast government shall be fully powered by clean and renewable "green" energy sources.
3. The Governor shall assemble a task-force to determine the exact form of alternative energy to be used in specific locations around the region to ensure that the .  The task-form shall be required to find the cheapest, most environmentally friendly, and largest job-producing energy option.
4. The task-force shall be composed of no more than twenty-five independent members who shall represent environmental groups, representatives of the executive departments, local business groups, and local citizens.
5. Begging January 1, 2013, all government buildings shall be required to provide recycling reciprocals in convenient locations for both visitors and workers.
6. The Northeast government shall request an independent agency to conduct an annual review on all government buildings to determine their carbon footprint and environmental impact.   

Sponsor: Barnes

Barnes, you have 24 hours blah blah blah. Debate time will last 72 hours total.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX666XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 10:37:30 PM »

Thank you, Mr. Speaker. I have been made aware that the most recent regional budget appropriated $50 billion toward green energy - and where better a place to be green than our own government?

The task-force might sound like a beaurocrat's dream, but it isn't that in the slightest. Its role is to make certain each green installation is cost effective, truly renewable, beneficial locally, and popular with the workers it would affect. I much prefer this route than letting us abritrarily assign the forms of renewable energy to be used.

Also, I've included a long period between the (hopeful) passage of this bill and its start date, thus giving the region and communities time to prepare for it.

I welcome any questions. Smiley
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 11:59:57 PM »

Could you give us an estimate of the costs behind this bill?
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 11:11:02 AM »

Could you give us an estimate of the costs behind this bill?

I apologize for not being able to answer your question earlier. I don't have concrete numbers in front of me at the moment, but I will be requesting a fiscal review by a few different individuals (the GAB, etc.).

I will say however, that the task-force charged with upgrading these buildings is charged with making the process as cost-effective as possible and to only use regional products and labor.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 02:48:08 PM »

I fully support the first and fifth sections of this bill (the typographical error in the latter excepted).

I am less certain of whether I favor its other provisions. The timetable outlined in section two seems particularly unrealistic to me, although I will defer to the GM's judgement on that. In general, I would prefer to see a greater focus on reducing energy consumption, and I may offer suggestions to that effect at a later time. That said, I am willing to sign this bill if the estimated costs are not excessive.

I thank you for your support, Governor. I intend to frame the legislation I introduce in such a way that at least parts of it may pass through the assembly if others seem unable to. Wink

I completely agree that we must strive to reduce energy consumption - but the crux of the problem is the type of energy we need to conserve.  We must act to reduce our region's carbon footprint and we must do it in an effective and encompassing manner. 

I am willing to compromise where we may to pass this bill, but I must implore the assembly to head my concerns: we must act now in this issue or we will be left in the wind.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 04:55:40 AM »

Retroactively extending debate time by 24 hours.

Extending debate time by 24 hours.

We'll have to vote on this tomorrow.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 11:02:21 AM »

1. Beginning July 1, 2013, all publications and official documents published by the Northeast government shall be done so on at least 80% either recycled or sustainably sourced paper.
2. Beginning January 1, 2014, all buildings and vehicles operated by the Northeast government shall be fully powered by clean and renewable "green" energy sources.
3. The Governor shall assemble a task-force to determine the exact form of alternative energy to be used in specific locations around the region to ensure that the .  The task-form shall be required to find the cheapest, most environmentally friendly, and largest job-producing energy option.
4. The task-force shall be composed of no more than twenty-five independent members who shall represent environmental groups, representatives of the executive departments, local business groups, and local citizens.
5. Begging January 1, 2013, all government buildings shall be required to provide recycling reciprocals in convenient locations for both visitors and workers.
6. The Northeast government shall request an independent agency to conduct a review, once every five years, on all government buildings to determine their carbon footprint and environmental impact.   
7. If a building fails to pass the review the building shall be placed on probation with a follow up review after a year.

Two amendments I've made here, I suggest we have a longer wait as most buildings will not need to be regularly checked, so by having less reviews we should save money, while keeping the same coverage. Also the paper one should be self explanatory, as this gives our agencies more flexibility, while still ensuring it is sustainable.

Sponsor: Barnes

Barnes, you have 24 hours blah blah blah. Debate time will last 72 hours total.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX666XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
[/quote]
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 03:47:06 PM »

I motion for an extension of the debate time.

Amendments to section 1 and 6 accepted as friendly; I'm not sure about section 7.  Bore, can you expand upon this idea?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 10:32:10 PM »

Uh...

We can't. The Assembly is not allowed to debate a bill for more than 120 hours, or five days. This is the fifth day.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 10:46:19 PM »

Uh...

We can't. The Assembly is not allowed to debate a bill for more than 120 hours, or five days. This is the fifth day.

I must have been a day off when I counted earlier! I promise I know the rules! Grin

In that case, I accept bore's section 7 amendment as friendly, and further amend it as follows:
7. If a building fails to pass the review, the building shall be placed on probation a review list with a follow up review after a year.

When we get to the vote on passage, I strongly urge my fellow representatives to consider the challenges we are faced with by this new, 21st century energy crisis, and see that this bill is a step along the way to a cleaner and greener future.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 04:56:42 AM »

Debate time has expired. Voting will last 24 hours or until all Representatives have voted.

1. Beginning July 1, 2013, all publications and official documents published by the Northeast government shall be done so on either recycled or sustainably sourced paper.
6. The Northeast government shall request an independent agency to conduct a review, once every five years, on all government buildings to determine their carbon footprint and environmental impact.   
7. If a building fails to pass the review the building shall be placed on a review list with a follow up review after a year.

Aye.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 03:04:05 PM »

Aye.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 03:57:40 PM »

Aye
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 05:23:22 PM »

AYE
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 09:18:27 PM »

Aye
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2012, 10:08:11 PM »

I'd like to thank the assembly for the great step we've taken today!  The unanimity of this vote shows how united we all really are behind this issue and how far we can go working together!
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 11:32:33 AM »

Has this been tried in any cities? There have been a lot of programs to reduce the use of non-renewable energy, but I don't know of any that get rid of them completely, so any number I give without that would be a wild guess.  I'm guessing though with all the retrofitting and infrastructure this would require it would take a lot longer than a year to complete - but going way behind schedule isn't unusual for these projects.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2012, 12:07:57 PM »

The bill passes unanimously, but I'm keeping it open for further discussion.

I don't know if any cities are doing this, or what they are. Nix?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2012, 04:56:56 AM »

I'm locking this for now, but I'll reopen it if y'all want in the future.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies