PA voter ID enjoined until after the election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:07:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  PA voter ID enjoined until after the election
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: PA voter ID enjoined until after the election  (Read 1235 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 02, 2012, 08:55:00 AM »

Judge issued an injunction blocking it until after the election.  Fox.
LiberalJunkie
LiberalJunkie99
Canada

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 09:12:47 AM »

More info: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/02/pennsylvania-voter-id-ruling_n_1919187.html
This is great news Smiley
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 11:04:11 AM »

Wonderful news. Now we can have a more truly democratic election here in the keystone this year.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 11:49:05 AM »

Wonderful news. Now we can have a more truly democratic election here in the keystone this year.

SOS, how many times have you showed your drivers license to someone in the past year or two?
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 01:30:18 PM »

SOS, how many times have you showed your drivers license to someone in the past year or two?
Me? Only whenever I've purchased alcohol. My ability to vote was never in doubt, nor was it at all the point when this thing was passed. I'm much happier for my non-driving grandfather and tens of thousands like him, as well as the other groups negatively affected by this law, like the Amish.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 02:16:08 PM »

Me? Only whenever I've purchased alcohol. My ability to vote was never in doubt, nor was it at all the point when this thing was passed. I'm much happier for my non-driving grandfather and tens of thousands like him, as well as the other groups negatively affected by this law, like the Amish.

If they're free and relatively easy to get, I think that should be the standard.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 02:22:47 PM »

If they're free and relatively easy to get, I think that should be the standard.
But as it would stand they wouldn't be easy enough to educate about and attain. Many elderly, religious, poor, and uneducated Pennsylvanians who deserve to vote would be denied over a made up fear of fraud with the goal of disenfranchising. It's unnecessary and wrong.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 03:09:34 PM »

In principle I have no problem with that standard either, but the reason for the law being enjoined was because the state didn't even meet its own guidelines in terms of making the IDs available:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The law itself was not ruled unconstitutional, so if by next election they have done what the guidelines require then the law can be enforced then.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 03:57:20 PM »

Yay!
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 04:10:19 PM »

Latest polls showing Obama leading by 100% in the Keystone State
Link
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 04:12:15 PM »

For the purposes of proving I am who I say I am?!  Other than to the police... NEVER.  Have you?

Well I take that back some dumb sales clerks ask for it when I've used my credit card but if they bothered to read the credit card contract they are not supposed to ask for additional identification.  I would hope the government would operate a little better than a clueless teenage sales clerk.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 04:52:38 PM »

I like the law, but this was the correct legal decision.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 05:08:23 PM »
« Edited: October 02, 2012, 05:10:07 PM by Dr. Cynic »

Not for me... I don't drive, Grumps. The nearest DMV to me is in either Washington or Belle Vernon and that's just not in walking distance since I'm living in Monongahela again and not in Pittsburgh proper. In fact, getting any form of ID has been extremely difficult for me over the years.

Besides, the people at my polling place have known me for 20 years. One of the workers there is the father of my best friend. Why should I show ID when they know who I am already and they know I'm registered?
Jacobtm

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 05:16:08 PM »
« Edited: October 02, 2012, 05:19:15 PM by Jacobtm »

Great so everyone has to go get a Flu Shot before voting.

Free and easy to get.

If you don't get a flu shot, you can't vote.

What, you didn't have time? No voting for you.

You didn't want one? No voting for you.

You don't live near someplace that offers a free and easy flu shot? No voting for you.

You didn't know that you had to get one to vote? No voting for you.

You meant to but forgot? No voting for you.

You don't have a car, and public transportation is terrible, and so you had no way to get one? No voting for you.

You got a flu shot but left proof at home? No voting for you.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2012, 07:38:30 PM »

Excellent news!
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 09:38:42 AM »

The Lancaster Intelligencer-Journal reports today that "Both opponents of the voter ID law and supporters of the law applaud the judge's ruling..."  Apparently they'll ask for identification on voting day, and if you produce one, you can vote.  If you do not produce one, you can vote.  Everybody wins.

In other news, a local pub draws complaints.  City council plans to meet with owner of Bull's Head Pub about patrons blocking the sidewalk when they gather there on busy nights.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2012, 11:19:03 AM »

The Lancaster Intelligencer-Journal reports today that "Both opponents of the voter ID law and supporters of the law applaud the judge's ruling..."  Apparently they'll ask for identification on voting day, and if you produce one, you can vote.  If you do not produce one, you can vote.  Everybody wins.

In other news, a local pub draws complaints.  City council plans to meet with owner of Bull's Head Pub about patrons blocking the sidewalk when they gather there on busy nights.

The Lancaster Intelligencer-Journal is a land of very scary editorials and opinion sections. Best used for local news and/or bird cage protector.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2012, 02:56:58 PM »

I'm personally supportive of voters having to show ID before they vote for the first time -- I'd make all those currently registered "grandfathered" in -- but never has anything at a DMV been "easy to get."
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2012, 03:34:51 PM »

That's not a win for supporters. We had that in the primary as a test run (as we should have). What does it do now? You can disagree with the requirement but for those that support it, you can't chalk this up as a win when it's essentially meaningless now.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2012, 06:29:11 PM »

That's not a win for supporters. We had that in the primary as a test run (as we should have). What does it do now? You can disagree with the requirement but for those that support it, you can't chalk this up as a win when it's essentially meaningless now.

I agree with what you posted, Phil.  I'm simply relaying the headlines from my local daily newspaper so that folks outside PA can see how it is being spun hereabouts.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2012, 12:02:23 AM »

Great so everyone has to go get a Flu Shot before voting.

Free and easy to get.

If you don't get a flu shot, you can't vote.

What, you didn't have time? No voting for you.

You didn't want one? No voting for you.

You don't live near someplace that offers a free and easy flu shot? No voting for you.

You didn't know that you had to get one to vote? No voting for you.

You meant to but forgot? No voting for you.

You don't have a car, and public transportation is terrible, and so you had no way to get one? No voting for you.

You got a flu shot but left proof at home? No voting for you.

Excellent logical fallacy, sir!
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2012, 12:50:41 AM »

But as it would stand they wouldn't be easy enough to educate about and attain. Many elderly, religious, poor, and uneducated Pennsylvanians who deserve to vote would be denied over a made up fear of fraud with the goal of disenfranchising. It's unnecessary and wrong.

They actually have a substitute non photo ID for the Amish.  My father had to get a non driver's license to board a plane; I don't think it is too bad (though I thought the law was too draconian.)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2012, 03:00:18 AM »

Well I take that back some dumb sales clerks ask for it when I've used my credit card but if they bothered to read the credit card contract they are not supposed to ask for additional identification.  I would hope the government would operate a little better than a clueless teenage sales clerk.

Lolwut.  Try using your credit card for anything over about ten dollars here in Vegas if you don't have your ID.  Don't want to show it to the clerk?  Cool, you can pay cash then.

Yes, I'm one of those people who has "see ID" written on the back of his credit card in the signature strip, and it really does bother me when sales clerks don't ask for it.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2012, 06:00:49 AM »

Good news. This is a flawed law.
Link
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2012, 11:28:08 AM »

Well I take that back some dumb sales clerks ask for it when I've used my credit card but if they bothered to read the credit card contract they are not supposed to ask for additional identification.  I would hope the government would operate a little better than a clueless teenage sales clerk.

Lolwut.  Try using your credit card for anything over about ten dollars here in Vegas if you don't have your ID.  Don't want to show it to the clerk?  Cool, you can pay cash then.

So the Federal elections should be run like Vegas and we should ignore all legal binding contracts?!

Yes, I'm one of those people who has "see ID" written on the back of his credit card in the signature strip, and it really does bother me when sales clerks don't ask for it.

Sorry.  "See ID" is not a part of my credit card contract.  I don't know about yours.  Is it common for right wingers to make up fantasy laws in their head and expect the rest of society to conform to them?  Besides it's fairly easy to get a fake ID.  Just this weekend a friend was showing me how he uses a dead relatives platinum rewards because they have the same initials and last name and people don't follow the procedure and check the signature physically written on the credit card... the way the actual contract dictates they should.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies