Westman, Part II: The Rising
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:35:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Westman, Part II: The Rising
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Author Topic: Westman, Part II: The Rising  (Read 28888 times)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2013, 10:00:33 PM »
« edited: April 20, 2013, 10:05:59 PM by Irish Racism, the Poster »

Mental Images:

Texas Governor Randle Delaney:

Former Secretary of State Robert O'Sullivan:

Senate Majority Leader Tobin MacMahon:

Former House Rep. Thad O'Connor:

Colorado Governor Edward "Eddie" Derry:

Often referred to as "the Democrat who looks like Mark Hatfield".

House Representative Lawrence Coventry:

Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2013, 11:02:56 PM »

January 2nd, 1981
Westman Townhouse
Fairfax, Virginia:

Scott Westman was up in his office working on his latest attempt at Green legislation.  After the fiasco that was 1980 he would need a brilliant piece to base his comeback off of.  Ever the artiste, he took to writing his plans on a large sketch board over the traditional typewriter draft.
Visual images are best at conveying the full weight and intent of the manners of men.
The party had definitely taken a shellacking.  It was the worst defeat in decades, perhaps since 1920.  And admittedly Westman should carry a burden of the blame.  After all, he did run as the VP candidate of a third party that took away a significant amount of Democratic votes.
But so did the Moderate Reform Party and the Constitution Party.
What many in the party just couldn't face is that the party had become unacceptable to many through the term of Reagan.  Reagan's popularity, at an all time low of 18% right before election night, was bound to have a bad effect on the election as he was viewed as one of the most incompetent presidents in history.  His high point in popularity happened before Westman was even sworn in as a Senator in January of 1977, as Reagan was successful (though it was short lived) as portraying "the Taft Republican Party" as an instrument of austerity that resulted in the Democrats briefly regaining the House and Senate as well as Reagan winning with the most minimal of wins.  With the Democratic majorities, however, Reagan got too confident.  As did his allies.
As well as outright discourteous of opposing viewpoints.
Westman's first attempt, the "Green America" bill was shot down by many in the establishment for being "too radical" in regard to the current energy malaise of the country.  Which was outrageous, considering that Westman's bill would simply undo the subsidy favoritism towards Big Oil and lease out money for scientific research into developing new "green energy" technology and fuels.  Well sure, there was also that part of the bill that would've marked up to $35 billion to create a "Green Infrastructure", but that was necessary cost overhead to prepare America for the future free of dependence on fossil fuels.
Funnily enough, the libertarian lobby never noted this last part of the bill in their glowing praise of Westman.  Which reeked of the big government liberalism they've come to have a big disdain for.  Don't even bring up healthcare, which Westman thinks should be a single payer system instead of the messed up private and public setup now in place.
Though debts are important, Westman viewed the mentality that the government should be operated like a business to be a scary one.  Government itself, while it should indeed be for the people and by the people, shouldn't be expected to operate like a private business.  The ability to incur large amounts of debt is the greatest positive of the Government, Westman once said to an associate of his, I for one see no reason why we should deviate from that path to soothe right wing austerity freaks.  However, over the past several weeks Westman had taken a noticeably different take on the matter, stressing it was important that the US, in order to maintain it's good currency status "should avoid extreme debt expansion to avoid certain economic calamity brought on by a weakened dollar through non-stop inflation brought on by unaccountable government debt.  Thus why I voted against efforts to take the US off the Gold Standard."  The flip flop came at the behest of Carl Herschelwitz, who noted that the issues of debt and the economy were high priority in the polls.
What concerned Westman, however, was some of the Budgets he looked at.  For instance, for the like of him he didn't know why the foreign budget for 1981 had about $24 million going to the Republic of Ireland.  Or the several billion the government spent in Pakistan that year and the several billion more they spent in India.  And then he's surprised to find that at the end of the day the US keeps producing sky high deficits.  Year after year.  What was the government doing?  Funding the political campaigns of capitalist West sympathizers?  Subsidizing US corporations in the nations?  Funding death squads to liquidate commie uprisings?
He didn't know.  What he did know, however, was that a foreign budget taking up a fifth of the budget was troublesome.
Somebody had to make a stand.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2013, 11:46:30 PM »
« Edited: April 22, 2013, 11:49:01 PM by Irish Racism, the Poster »

January 3rd, 1981
US Senate:

Senate Majority Leader Mark Hatfield (R-OR) Presiding.
Hatfield: Well, welcome to the new Senate.  I see many new faces here and I won't give some grand speech at the moment.  I believe that in these times we should set an example by getting right to the heart of the matter.  At this moment I am going to ask the senior senator from Montana, Mr. Westman, to take the podium.
Senator Scott Westman, carrying what looks to be a mountain of binders full of papers, walks from behind his desk to the podium.  When he reaches the podium he shakes Hatfield's hand and he takes the podium.
Tepid Response.
Westman: Well, I can see that many of you are a little behind on the sleep quota.  Either that, or my popularity is at an alltime high.
Laughter.  Westman grins.
Westman: Good, at least you guys think I'm funny.  Okay that's good.
Wow, this is surprising.  This sexgod is unusually uncomfortable in front of a large gathering of his peers.  Interesting. Thought an unnamed peer of his.
Westman: LOok, I don't want to take too much of your time on this but there's a topic that needs to be addressed.  So first off, let me ask you this: what do the US states of Minnesota, Oregon, Iowa, and Massachusetts all have in common?  Well, if you answered that the US Government spends less money on them than they do on foreign nations such as India, Pakistan, Persia, Brazil, Columbia, China, and yes even Russia you'd be correct.  Mind you, there are several other states, many more than I care to mention, that also are less funded than several countries on our backrolls.
Some rumbling is heard amongst the assembled Senators.
Westman: Why is that?  Why is it that, in the world's strongest nation, we seem to be spending more out of this nation than into it?  I'll give you a few hints: General Electric, Donnelly Incorporated, Westham Fabrics, Westinghouse, Lookheed, sabres rattling.  This is about corporate affluence in the goings on of nations!  Our businessmen are coming to us, the servants of the general public, and telling us to give them money we have taken from citizens of this Republic, from the citizens of Oklahoma, from the citizens of Texas, from the citizens of Montana, from the citizens of Massachusetts, we are giving those monies to businessmen to buy out large sectors of foreign economies.  To in effect monopolize the way people live through financed public policy, through bought out foreign dictators over those democratically elected.
Loud boos, though there is some applause from both sides of the aisle.
Westman: Boo me all you want.  You can't change what has happened.  But you can change the future.  This went on during Reagan.  This went on during Kennedy.  This went on during Morton and Percy and Kefauver.  However, this administration, though I disagree with it on many fronts I believe can be a force of good in this world.  And so can this Congress.  Many of you have come to us, elected on a campaign of reform and of fiscal solvency.  There is no better way you can accomplish this than by working with me, working with me and others such as the honorable Senate Majority Leader who yielded this podium to me earlier.  For the past several years he has tried to, to the chagrin of some of his fellow partymates and to many in my own party, regrettably, to address these issues head on.  However, his efforts have fallen on deaf ears.  Fallen on deaf ears because of the policies and traditions of American privilige and self-interest to the detriment of others in this great world community.  So for once put aside your hawkishness, put aside your desire for a strong American empire and put the people of this nation first.  For once give America a shot!
Louder applause is heard.
Westman: Now, here in my hands I have the foreign budgets of 1981.  My aides will be going to your offices dropping off your own copies of it with my proposed amendments.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2013, 06:03:48 PM »

October 1st, 1987
Governor's Office
Helena, Montana:

Scott Westman is at his office looking over an education bill when a tall grey haired man enters with two law enforcement officials.
Grey Man: Governor, I am here to serve you a summons to Federal Court.
Westman looks at him blankfaced, shocked at the audacity of the man.
Westman: For what!?
Grey Man: For threatening the safety and security of the United States Government, and the people therein, by issuing Executive Orders to state law enforcement and local authorities to disregard the Defend America Act.  The Government feels that this act of defiance goes well and beyond the powers granted to states via the 10th, and that you being Governor should stand trial in Federal Court for instigating such sentiment.
Westman laughs.
Westman: This is absurd!  I am clearly operating within the boundaries of the 10th Amendment!  The fact that this was even considered by your higher ups speaks to the damages wrought to this government since last year!
Grey Man: These charges are to be treated on the same level as criminal charges such as those relating to the demoralizing of government.
Westman: F***'s sake.
Grey Man: While charges will be determined by a government appointed judge, please be aware that such charges could include a prison sentence of 18 months-
Westman: Bullsh*t man.
Grey Man:-the replacement of state law enforcement leaders with federal agents under direct supervision with Washington-
Westman: And people say I'm building strawmen with you people-
Grey Man:-the resignation of your office due to "Seditious Acts"-
Westman: What is this?  Medieval Europe!?
Grey Man:-or if willing and open defiance and treachery is proven.  .. . . the death penalty.
Westman facepalms.
Grey Man: Do you understand?
Westman looks up with an insane look on his face.
Westman: And so I go, like a man on his way to be lynched.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2013, 08:06:16 PM »
« Edited: April 30, 2013, 08:11:50 PM by Irish Racism, the Poster »

This is CNN News:

Controversy erupts in Helena as Democratic Governor Scott Westman has just been taken into custody by Federal Agents on charges of, and I quote "Seditious Acts going against the United States Government".  The Governor, who was going over a draft of a recent Education Bill by State Representative Thomas L. Hallinan was grabbed by the agents, handcuffed, and then taken out of his office.  Westman, who will be taken to the Federal Court in Denver, Colorado for preliminary hearings on the third, has released a press report in protest of this latest action:

"I have done nothing in my authority as Governor of Montana to warrant such an action.  The powers that I used were within the authority of the Tenth Amendment of the United States of America.  This is nothing more than a continuation of the ongoing witchunt of the paranoid power grabbers in DC carried onto absurd lengths.  I will admit though, I didn't think they had it in them to actually directly charge me with such vicious slander and accusation.  Whether I am found Guilty or Not Guilty, surely this case will show the American People clearly where the Administration's real interests are: shutting people like me up."

Members of the Crane Cabinet, including Secretary of Veterans Affair Christian Mattingly, Secretary of Defense William Buckley, Attorney General Jay Rockefeller, and others have denied the allegations in Westman's release, with Rockefeller noting that he had "no authority" over the recent federal charges against Westman:

(video of Jay Rockefeller)
"Look, I understand the Governor is upset and angry at what has transpired.  I mean, who wouldn't?  However, let me state that this office was kept in the dark about ongoing investigations and such about Westman's Executive Order to disallow the DAA in state law enforcement in Montana.  This is a matter that was brought up to the Assistant AG who believed this to be a cause for concern who authorized agents to contact the Courts about a possible case against Westman.  My office, the AG office, is overflooded with work relating to Taimid acitvities and possible terror suspects to have been actively involved in this matter.  If you want more information, talk to Lloyd Donlon, the Assistant AG."

Given the already heated primary debates in both the Democratic and Republican Primaries over the Defend America Act, this latest event will surely bring to focus to Constitutional issues this upcoming election season.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2013, 09:04:14 PM »

White House
Cabinet Meeting

Crane:
Jay, what the f**k?
Rockefeller, though used to the President swearing, was shocked by his tone.
Rockefeller: Phil, look you have to understand since last September I've had virtually no time to get into persecuting constitutional cases.  That is Lloyd's job-
Crane: I thought that we appointed Donlon to make us look better to independents and Democrats.  And now he's going AWOL on us and charging f***ing state governors?  Again, WHAT THE F***!?
Buckley: Well, given the national security situation and protocol, I can understand some of the reason to bring a court challenge to Westman's use of Executive Order to countermand legislative action.. .. . . but criminal charges?  WHAT THE F***?
Rockefeller: Why am I the bad guy here?  I didn't even see that file!  Lloyd didn't even bring it up until lunch last week and the impression I got was much different!  I thought he was going to drop it-
Secretary of State Edward Madigan: Sh*t Jay. . . . . didn't you think a probable case involving Scott Westman should've gotten at least a look over?  I mean, there is no way this will look good at all.  This makes us look like Nazis!  Has Donlon gone completely insane!?
Mattingly raises his hand.
Mattingly: Well, while I don't think I would've gone as far as filing criminal charges against Westman, I really can't blame Donlon.  I mean, Westman is endangering the lives of millions by sticking stubbornly to his radical anti-war counter cultural commie ideals.  I believe in freedom of speech, but he is in a position of authority.
Secretary of State Robert Finch: Chris, what the hell are you saying?
Mattingly: Look, it doesn't sound so good when our political opponents suddenly turn out being charged on criminal grounds.  Especially when the prosecutors can't seem to decide whether Westman is guilty of "sedition" or "treason".  I say we get them to limit it to "sedition" with 18 months in prison and removal from office.
Rockefeller: Good idea Chris!  It would be much easier for this case against Westman to succeed if he's faced with a low prison sentence and removal from office on grounds of abuse!  And then if he appeals it the case goes to the Supreme Court and the supremacy of DAA is upheld!
Crane looks nervously at the people around him, who seem all too happy to throw a fellow politician in prison to score political points.
Crane: Guys, what if this doesn't work?
Rockefeller: I doubt it.  For one, four of those Justices were those appointed by you yourself.  Second, as much as we bash Reagan and Kennedy, they didn't appoint no bleedingheart hippies to the bench either.  How can it not work?
Crane looks nervously.
Crane: Well. . . . . .
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2013, 05:14:49 AM »

Justices of the Supreme Court of the United States of America:

Chief Justice Hiram Fong of Hawaii (Appointed by the Crane Administration)Sad The first Vice President of the US of Asian descent during the Morton Administration, Hiram Fong was tapped to replace the late Chief Justice John W. McCormack of Massachusetts, who died on January 3rd, 1981 from heart failure.  A well known "Liberal Republican", Fong has earned a reputation for having an Originalist approach with a bit of Constructionism to the Constitution in regards to issues such as "corporate personhood" (which he ruled against, noting that if corporations were to be considered people they would technically be slaves and thus illegal via the 13th Amendment to the US Constitution. Fleece), birth control bans (against, as there is no explicit mention in the Constution dealing with reproductive issues and birth control was a common practice back then), magazine regulations (for, the Founding Fathers intent with the Second Amendment was to both establish a right to firearms as well as the authority of the government to put forward regulations on weapons, such as extended magazine clips), etc, etc.  Overall, Fong tends to be a pretty liberal judge for a Republican, though his voting record indicates that he's sided with court conservatives most of the time.

Associate Justice Martin Luther King Jr of Georgia (appointed by Crane Administration)Sad Continuing on his quest to please moderates and liberals, Phillip Crane appointed Civil Rights hero and lawyer Martin Luther King Jr. to the court (along with Chief Justice nominee Hiram Fong) at the beginning of his first term as President.  Not as liberal as Fong, King has made a mark for himself on issues relating to Civil Rights and discrimination cases, helping vote for landmark cases for handicapped individuals in the workplace and for LGBT workers.  Like Fong King comes from a background of liberal 1960's Republicanism that finds a lot of agreement with the liberal apointees of Kennedy and Reagan.

Associate Justice Justin L. Arash of Wisconsin (Appointed by Crane Administration: Crane's conservative court appointee (after repeat accusations of being a CINO) Arash has become well known for his very strict constructionism in regards to the controversial issues of the time.  In the words of fellow justice King "if we followed Arash's philosophy on the Constitution there would be no Amendments".  One of the more unpopular Justices, there have been multiple calls for Arash to go into retirement.  However, he seems intent to stay along to spite the more liberal activists.

Associate Justice Landon K. Bibels (Appointed by Crane Administration)Sad Crane's second court appointee and the only Independent.  Bibels voting record can't be described on ideological lines.  Some say this is evident of how truly "Independent" he is and that his record if anything should be describe as "reform pragmatism" in regards to the issues.  He tends to side with liberal justices on social matters and with conservatives on the economic matters.  Whatever his views are, he almost always seems to be one of the guys who cast the last vote.

Associate Justice Shirley Chisholm (Appointed by Reagan Administration)Sad THe Court's first African American justice and the second female justice after the appointment of Sarah Jane Connor (under Kennedy), the former liberal Congresswoman faced an uphill battle to get to the Court.  Taking a strong stand for issues relating to social justice, Chisholm can always be expected to take the liberal interpretation on an issue.  Many of her critics consider her appointment "one of many of President Reagan's failures".

Associate Justice Lexington R. Holbrook (Appointed by Reagan Administration)Sad COnsidered by many to be the "union judge", Holbrook's voting record reads like a populist's handbook.  ON matters relating to social justice, union rights, wages, and employment benefits Holbrook has consistently taken the more liberal position.  At the same time though, he has shown a good deal more restraint on ruling in social issues, as his vote against the Fong majority on the Linns v. Adams decision proved (was against majority on birth control issue) as well as being the decisive vote against Johnson v. Texas (for psychiatric treatment of homosexuals).

Associate Justice Sarah Jane Connor (Appointed by Kennedy Administration):   Appointed by Kennedy, Sarah Connor is the first female to have been appointed to the US Supreme Court.  Connor has a bit of a feminist perspective, consistently ruling on issues that she believes would best advance the cause of women in the workplace.  This includes Affirmative Action programs.  On other issues she seems much more moderate, as her vote against windfall taxes on gas and oil profits proved.

Associate Justice Lyndon Bowles (Appointed by Morton Administration)Sad An old school Republican moderate, Bowles record on judicial matters matches almost to the T the man who appointed him.  However, in regards to privacy and constitutional matters Bowles seems to be zealous.  A critic of federalism and state's rights, Bowles has a record of opposing the federalist argument on controversial issues like abortion and gay rights.  His economic record is much more moderate.

Associate Justice Raymond L. Drinan (Appointed by Percy Administration)Sad A former Attorney General of the state of Michigan, Drinan is known as the "Old Guard" judge.  Originally appointed by Percy to appeal to Irish American and Catholic conservatives and moderates in the Democratic Party, Drinan's overall philosophy is similar to that of the infamous Robert Taft.  Despite his Democratic Party label, many in the party have given Drinan "single handed blame" in helping "end the New Deal forever" with his strict support of power limitations on commerce activity and the like.  His record is that of a consistently anti-government expansion ideologue, as he not only opposes economic expansion of government power but measures that give government more authority over individual civil liberties. 

Might modify later.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2013, 11:05:55 AM »

1988 Republican Primary Candidates:

Though long rumored to be combined with the Conservative Party, the Republican Party has decided to hold it's own party primaries.  Despite the heavy loss of 1984 in the Presidential race and the shaming the party got in 1986, party leaders are confident that come 1988 the fortunes of the party will turn around enough to warrant a presidential run without appealing to Conservatives.  Once considered on the verge of immortality in 1980 before the party was split asunder leading to the first third party victory since well who knows when, the GOP is setting forth to make it known as the "Party of Solutions, not problems."
This new branding has gotten the "new" GOP into trouble with critics.  Many, sensing this as just a return to the same old same old Republican Party of the 1930's-1950's, note that the Republican Party failed big time when they didn't define their beliefs.  Worse yet, saying "we're going to do what the Democrats are doing except better" isn't seen as a way to retain the faithful who seemed fed up with the pandering.

The need for the GOP to place itself on a position on politics is essential.  This isn't high school prom, policies actually count here.  It seems that all the GOP is trying to do, yet again, is pine for playing the pretty girl that everyone likes and doesn't get into any arguments.  The Democratic Party, though it's a wide tent party, at least has the decency to use angry prolish rhetoric.  They dont't know exactly what they stand for, and I doubt very many Democrats nowdays agree on anything, but at least they are assertive enough to pick a message that offends enough people on the other side to look effective to it's supporters.  If the GOP doesn't get it's sh*t together, 1980 might just become every year.-Some Guy

Attorney General Jay Rockefeller of West Virginia

One of the politicians who spearheaded the "new GOP" movement, Jay Rockefeller is running off of his creditionals as a reform minded Attorney General in a third party Administration and his efforts in handling the Justice Department post 9/6 as his motivation for running.  Citing the failures of both the Reagan and Crane Administrations Jay is hoping to run as a "logical middle ground", advocating for a renewal in advancing environmental conservation projects, pursuing alternative energy routes, investments in urban renewal projects, implementation of Omnibus Public Safety Bills to address rising crime and failing infrastructure in urban areas, among a list of other reforms.  He's been attacked by many conservatives, both in the Republican Party and Conservative Party members, for not really being that different from a lot of liberal Democrats.  While support amongst traditional moderate and liberal Republicans is expected to increase, enthusiasm amongst the "Old Guard" is at the very best tepid.

US Senator Ronald Paul of Texas:

The incumbent Republican US Senator from Texas, Ron Paul is well know for his "Old Guard" Republicanism while representing a traditionally Democratic Southern state.  His victory over the state's Democratic machine in 1982 has propelled him from little known congressman to one of the leading faces of the libertarian movement in the Republican Party.  He is the only US Senator from the states that make up the former Confederacy to have voted against the Defend America Act, a fact that he is proud of.  Though the "Old Guard" faction have long fallen out of influence Paul is hoping to tap into the minority segment that strong opposed the DAA and have reservations about the foreign policy agenda of the past several decades to and bring their views to the forefront of the election.  He admits his chances of victory are slim but is insistent on pressing on to get the word out.  He also strongly opposes the fiscal policies of the current administration, calling the Crane Administration "the most wasteful administration since FDR".

US Senator Francis Keating of Oklahoma:

The Oklahoma Senator and the Chairman of "Catholics for Law and Order" has jumped into the race for exactly that.  Feeling that authorities like Attorney General Jay Rockefeller have proven incompetent to the task of enabling law enforcement agencies to properly protect and serve the American people, Keating is out to one up the security hawks in the race.  Among his proposals is the idea of a new department, the Department of Port Security, to expliclty deal with the entry ports of the nation.  Running off a generic conservative platform, other key points of is are support for a Balanced Budget Amendment, corporate tax reform, and partial privitization of Social Security.

Former US Vice President George HW Bush of Connecticut:

Famed for being the part of the first split administration since Adams/Jefferson, Bush has come back to throw his hat in the ring to possibly ascend to the position that once eluded him.  Though gaining in age the former VP has received much support from higher ups in the Republican Party to run in order to "streamline" the party towards their new direction.  However, this also clashes with support of the establishment behind Attorney General Jay Rockefeller. . . . though the latest news about the ongoing Federal Court case against Montana Governor Scott Westman just might scare the establishment towards Bush.  Not particularly charismatic, Bush has a warm, soft, grandfatherly quality to him that connects well with the average American.  However, little has been said of just exactly will he offer to the voting public if elected.  For all intents and purposes, Bush is the currently the wildcard in this primary race.

Illinois Governor Robert Percy

The current Governor of Illinois and moderate Republican officeholder, Robert Percy is the nephew of the late Charles Percy, the 36th President of the United States.  The son of Charles older brother Mark Percy, a retired CEO of Bell Illinois, Percy grew up idolizing his politician uncle whose reputation has taken on mythic proportions since his death.  Hitting the grindstone tough on attacking the roots of political corruption in Chicago as well as co-ordinating efforts with state law enforcement to take down criminal elements of the Cook County Democratic Organization, Percy is on par to being remembered as one of the greatest Governor in Illinois history.  In a year of a heavy Democratic wave, Percy retained his office with 58% of the vote, a landslide over his Democratic opponent Richard M. Daley (son of the infamous machine leader).  He hopes to take this highly successful record of reform with him to the White House, where there is a lot of cleaning up to do.

More possible.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2013, 02:32:36 PM »
« Edited: May 04, 2013, 02:45:47 PM by Irish Racism, the Poster »

Republican Canddiates Continued:

Former House Minority Whip Jack Kemp of New York:

Noting the weakness of the Conservative Party post 1986, former House minority leader and de facto conservative Republican leader Jack Kemp is throwing his hat in the ring for the GOP nomination.  Though he was the VP for the GOP in 1980, he believes that was when the Republican Party lost it's way.  Running as a "bleedingheart capitalist" Kemp is hoping to revive the fallen economic laissez faire wing that was surging in the party post New Deal.  Calling Phil Crane "one of our best presidents", Kemp believes that if he runs he can be the pointman in reuniting conservative third partiers back to the GOP to bring the party out of the presidential wilderness and end the vote splitting that occurred last election.

House Minority Whip Newt Gingrich of Georgia:

Kemp's successor as Republican House Whip, Newt Gingrich is using his newfound fame as a technocratic powerbreaker as a base to run his national campaign.  Though widely distrusted and even despised by fellow Republicans (namely Kemp) who see him as nothing less than a greedy usurper, Gingrich is widely touting his electability on his continued success representing a Georgia CD despite his Republican Party affiliation.  Those at the RNC headquarters are mixed on Gingrich, some of them seeing him as a new Jesus figure who can help move the party to where it was supposed to be in 1980, and others who think that Gingrich's lack of empathy, bombastic speaking, and dirty style politics have no place in the party.  Many observers, however, believe that what Gingrich is really aiming for is the Speakership. . . . .something that they say he is prepared to do at all costs.  That might be a little hard though, given the grudge holding of a number of Republican officeholders who would like to see Gingrich go down in flames.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2013, 03:04:45 PM »

In an office in Washington DC:

US Senator Gary Hart of Colorado is at his desk watching the television set.  He just saw the news of Westman being escorted by federal agents towards a plane.
Hart: Christ, this is crazy.
His secretary, Cynthia Lebaum, looks at him with inquiry.
Lebaum: Sir?
Hart: I mean, this whole thing is just insane.  Don't they realize that by arresting Scott they've made him a martyr now?  A new Jesus Christ figure?  But hey, what can we do?
Lebaum, who had worked on the hill for a couple of decades and not a stranger to these situations, spoke up.
Lebaum: Well sir, Westman has endorsed Udall in his race.
Hart looks at her nonplussed.
Hart: And?
Lebaum: Well, we might not get his endorsement but at least we can try to get his goodwill.
Hart laughs, throwing down his papers.
Hart: THE MAN HAS ENOUGH MONEY TO BAIL HIMSELF OUT SEVERAL HUNDRED THOUSAND TIMES!
Lebaum: Sure, but even a man of his means would be honored to have a fellow westerner show the respect of using his own means to get him out?  Hell, maybe even just a public record of gratitude?  Which would be seen as nothing less than a second endorsement.
Hart smiles.
Hart: Yes, yes!  Having Westman's gratitude or even endorsement might just be enough to get an edge over Udall!  That bastard has been clobbering us too long out here!  Those Udalls, thinking they can just own the West because of family name and repute?!  Guess again!
Hart picks up a phone and starts dialing.
Lebaum: You calling Helena?
Hart, suddenly aware he's being watched, comes to a good story.
Hart: Nah, my wife, going to ask her what's for dinner.  Hey baby what's up?
Lebaum: HEY DONNA!  HOW'S THE MONKEY BUSINESS?!
F***in' Hell, I hate smarty secretaries.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2013, 11:42:03 PM »

Earlier in 1987
Helena:

Herschelwitz:
Sir, what about Hart?
Westman: What about Gary?
Herschelwitz: Well, you seem to have a lot riding in on Udall.  I should point out that Hart might be a possible candidate-
Westman: He just got elected back into Congress after a six year absence.  Why would he consider running for the Presidency right after getting back?
Herschelwitz: Well, I imagine he thought that winning the Senate seat back would've been an easier to accomplish stepping stone last year.
Westman pours himself a drink.
Westman: Yeah so?
Herschelwitz: I mean. . . . .  you worked with the man.  You were close friends and allies in Senate.
Westman: Maybe. . . but that was a long time ago.  Back in a time called the Seventies.  They cut him down in 1980, they shot me down in 1982.  Besides that we weren't quite the same man.  Hell, he even voted in favor of gun control legislation.
Herschelwitz: You freaking purist.  Hart, like Udall, doesn't have a vote in favor of the DAA!  And he's younger!
Westman: He doesn't have a pro-DAA voting record because he wasn't in the Senate at the time.  I don't ever remember him making a huge deal of it when it was passed, Mo did.
Herschelwitz: Mo's time has passed man.  Hart has the energy and charisma that the movement needs for the future.  Hell, his economic and infrastructure policies are practically identical to our own!  Except for the whole taxation bit.  But that's a lot better than Udall's "soak the rich at 60%" rhetoric is it not?
Westman ponders
Westman: I promised Udall my support.  I'm a man of my word.  He's like a father to me.
Herschelwitz: All this filal piety bullsh*t.  When are you ever going to pull your head out of your ass and smell the coffee?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2013, 12:10:30 AM »

Office of the Attorney General of the United States:

Jay Rockefeller looks at the 30 something brown haired lawyer across from him.  Assistant Attorney General Lloyd Donlon.  THe man responsible for the gigantic mess he now found the Administration in regarding Scott Westman.
Rockefeller: Seriously, what the hell?
Donlon, with a maddened look on his face, puts his hands on Rockefeller's desk.
Donlon: I'm doing my job Jay.
Rockefeller: Your job is to create witch hunts against our opponents?
Donlon raises his fist and wags his finger at Rockefeller.
Donlon: Don't you get it?  We can implicate Westman in criminal conspiracy charges!
Rockefeller: What the hell will that accomplished?  THe public will think us fascist dicks if we throw a US Governor in jail for using his state powers Unconstitutionally.  No, this should've been given to the Supreme Courts to handle.  This should've been United States vs. Montana, not United States vs. Westman.
Donlon: But. . . . . we wouldn't be able to get Westman if we went the former route.  He would've merely stayed in his state capital playing the libertine dictator he enjoys playing up in Helena while smoking weed and having sex with men in dresses.
Rockefeller snorts. I have to give Lloyd credit, he can get laughs out of people even in the most terse arguments.
Rockefeller: Look, as much as I would like to keep Scott Westman out of elected office this is just too far reaching buddy.
Donlon: Jay, Jay boy, I'm not going to simply call off charges and cancel the case because of second thoughts.  It'll make us look like assholes!
Rockefeller: What the hell do you think you're doing now?  You think we look good to the nation when we got our dicks out in our hands and we're mistaking them for thumbs?  Damn it man!  You made me sound like a f***in hardon the other day defending you!
Donlon gets a grimaced look on his face.
Donlon: I understand that now it seems a bit over reaching and authoritarian.  However, in time the public will be convinced that the course we're taking is the judicious right course.  Westman did more than just defy the federal government, he put millions at risk.  Surely there is precedent for criminal charges for that?  He's a state governor, not a freaking security guard at the freaking movie theater.
Rockefeller: But still though, him being arrested will result in him losing his elected office-
Donlon:-thus, killing multiple birds with one stone.  We are just fortunate enough he was crazy enough to do something that would easily in any other era of American history be considered "treason".  Tell me if Scott Westman instead declared secession in Montana, would you be so caring about his rights to elected office?  I sure wouldn't!
Rockefeller sighs.
Rockefeller: You got a point.  Still though, it would be best for the Supremes to determine this case due to the issues involved.
Donlon: Westman, after he's arrested for sedition, can appeal if he likes.
Rockefeller sighs again.
Rockefeller: If you say so.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2013, 08:14:54 AM »

Hmmm... I'd love to see a Kemp or Paul nomination if that were possible. I find it kind of humorous that the Attorney General is going up against a member of his wife's family for the nomination, Governor Robert Percy.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2013, 06:19:07 PM »
« Edited: May 06, 2013, 11:35:49 PM by Irish Racism, the Poster »

Governors of Montana since 1941:

12. Sam C. Ford (Republican-Helena) January 6th, 1941-January 5th, 1953: A limited government Republican, Sam Ford is given credit for reducing the state bureaucracy and helping decentralize state liquor.  Under Ford regulations on alcohol would be at their lowest levels until the administration of Scott Westman, a liberal Democrat, in the 1980's.  The longest reigning Governor of Montana who managed to get a third term in a close election over Democratic John Bonner in 1948, Ford's reputation is mixed.  Many Republicans look up to him as a symbol of "Old Guard" Republicanism in a state that had drifted hard towards labor minded Democrats during during the 1950's.  Others, however, viewed Ford as a symbol of the evils of capitalism and as a grave enemy of left wing causes.  HIstorians note that despite their different reputations, Sam Ford's administration operated remarkably close to that of Democrat Scott Westman's administration in regards to liberalization and advancing grand statewide energy projects to cheapen electricity for rural folks.

13. Brendan McGuinness (Democratic-Butte) January 5th, 1953-January 2nd, 1961: A former labor union boss in Butte, Montana, McGuinness won his first election with 45% of the vote that included a strong third party progressive ticket and an arch conservative Republican.  Touting his stance as a strong labor advocate and "the candidate of the "others"", McGuinness made great strides for Democrats statewide.  Governing as a hackish left winger who in the words of one critic "operated as a social democrat in all but name", McGuinness made a large amount of enemies on the Montana right wing and among independent voters.  This was balanced out, however, by his record numbers amongst minorities (namely Native Americans) and the large numbers of immigrants from the eastern United States who came over due to the booming industries and cheap cost of living.  McGuinness is known to this day amongst political strategists as a political figure that prospered by turning segments of society against each other, as he turned blue collar union urbanites, Native American tribes, Irish Americans, German Catholics, and various other cultural minorities against Republican businessmen in Billings and their rural rancher allies.  He was also known for greatly expanding the scope of the Montana Government, making one of the most progressive public works program in the nation (the Anaconda-Glasgow Oil and Gas Association) that employed several tens of thousands of Montanans from the western part of the state to the eastern part of the state, and for having one of the earliest forms of state funded healthcare insurance in the states.  Singlehandedly, McGuinness undid the twelve years of Sam Ford.

14. Timothy L. Pickering (Democrat-Great Falls) January 2nd, 1961-January 27th, 1961: One of the shortest Gubernatorial reigns, Pickering was Governor of Montana for 25 days.  Two days after he was elected he was charged with insider trading (an SEC violation).  25 days later he would resign from office after intense public pressure to deal with the allegations.  Two years later on January 23rd, 1963 he would be found guilty of all charges.

15. John L. Smythe (Democrat-Bozeman) January 27th, 1961-January 4th, 1965: A well known party conservative, Smythe enraged the many McGuinness Democrats in the party during his tenure.  Taking over from the disgraced Pickering, Smythe went on a term that was marked by efforts at political and union reforms that ran amok of the labor minded Democrats in Butte.  Remarking that the capital was in Helena, "not in Butte", Smythe would have as hard of a time trying to get Montana Republicans to work with him in regards to environmental and state park legislation.  An unpopular governor who made no allies, he was overthrown at his own party's Gubernatorial primaries by Anaconda union leader Carl W. Dredsner, McGuinness's handpicked favorite.

16. Carl W. Dredsner (Democrat-Anaconda) January 4th, 1965-October 18th, 1967*: A colorful character who represented the left wing of the Democratic Party of Montana, Dresner won election in 1964, a Republican presidential year (a bare victory).  Promising to "bring corrupt railroad and oil corporations to their knees" as Governor, Drednser began his tenure with a bang by bringing an anti-monopoly suit against Suthers Co. for dumping goods to destroy competition in the state.  Later on his rule would become very controversial when he used the Montana State Reserve Guard to force a gathering of oil company CEOs in Kalispell into jail for "soaking the taxpayer on the national level."  This would lead to a motion for impeachment by the Montana House which would be passed with 70% of the votes.  As a result, Dredsner would be removed from office and his Lieutenant Governor, a Ryan A. Loftkey, would take over.

17. Ryan A. Loftkey (Democrat-Billings) October 18th, 1967-January 1st, 1973: Tapped by party leaders to join Dredsner to appeal to more moderate Democrats, Loftkey shortly made up for his years of inactivity during Dredsner's administration.  While upholding strict environmental and labor regulations passed under his predecessor, Loftkey also managed to secure enough moderate Democratic votes in the Legislature to go along with a Republican sponsored bill to reduce corporate taxes in the state.  He also spearheaded efforts to desegregate unions in Butte, which at the time were accused by minorities of delegitamizing their interests by catering almost exclusively to German and Irish Catholic workers and leaving little to none for the non-white groups.  He also would be the first Democratic Governor to apologize to the Japanese American community for internment, noting that it was a "regrettable incident in American history that will surely be judged someday on the same level as the Indian Removal Act."  He is remembered fondly by many on both sides of the aisle for being a principled man who stood by his guns, much like his successor

18. Gerald "Gerry" Schumacher (Democrat-Missoula) January 1st, 1973-January 5th, 1981: A liberal Democrat from Missoula, Schumacher like several other Democrats before him, would become well known for pissing off his own party's hierarchy.  Running off of a platform that strongly stressed political reform, liberal social issues, environmental standards, and other progressive reforms, Schumacher from his first day ran afoot of the Butte establishment that tried to control state politics of the time.  He was the first Jewish American Governor in state history.  An outspoken supporter of weed legalization, on his first day he condemned the federal prohibition on marijuana and promised that by the end of his term it would be legal.  Had there been a few more Republicans in the Legislature he would've accomplished this feat.  However, due to Democratic dominance of the State Houses (a lot of them so-called "labor Democrats") he was held back.  At the end of his term in office, after being demonized by his own party's establishment of "everything that is wrong with our government", he left quietly from the mansion as his successor, Republican Richard Peters, was sworn in.

19. Richard "Richie" Peters (Republican-Circle) January 5th, 1981-January 7th, 1985: The first Republican Governor since the 1950's, Peters was elected after running against the infighting in the Montana Democratic Party at the time.  As well, he ran against what was considered to be at the time "left wing excess" that resulted in Montana having one of the heaviest tax burdens on upper income individuals in the nation.  He also ran against the liberal excesses of the Schumacher regime, which Peters argued went against the culture and traditions of the vast majority of people in the state.  Arguably Peters forgot about that part of his campaign, as he would later go on to push for strict gun legislation (including a ban on lever action rifles) in a state with over 90% gun ownership.  Though he wasn't the reason the Conservative Party was formed, he was a major factor in the growth of the third party by leaps and bounds during his time in office.  He would go onto lose re-election in a landslide, trailing behind the Conservative candidate by ten points and several hundred thousand votes behind Democratic candidate Scott Westman.

20. Scott Westman (Democratic-Missoula) January 7th, 1985-present: The current Governor. . . . already destined to go down in the books as one of the most visionary men in the history of the state.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2013, 03:16:58 AM »
« Edited: May 11, 2013, 03:20:07 AM by Irish Racism, the Poster »

November 29th, 1978
Norfolk Hilton Bar
About 9:30 pm:

Scott Westman is sitting at the bar having his usual drink of Morgans and Coke that has become par the course lately.  Especially after dealing with all the custody mess with Laura and his failed attempts to revive his relationship with Marci Flounders.  His brightest student and his former flame.  The fate of that relationship being pre-determined once he left for DC.  THe Marci he saw last time, the one who lived with him for a month and a half, was a pretty damn bitter one who ultimately put her resentment over Westman's shortly lived relationship with Laura Hennigan right after he left for DC.
Westman takes a drink.
Sure, I'm a heartbreaker.  But that ain't my fault.  Everyone in my life pretty much shaped me to be like that.  Hell, even Catalina didn't have the privilege of 100% fidelity.
He raises a cigarette to his mouth and smokes.  As he is doing so a strikingly pretty tall woman in jeans, a Deep Purple shirt, and a buckskin jacket sits next to him.  She pats him on the shoulder.
Woman: Hey babe, could you offer me a light?
Westman, finding himself at a strange kind of ease with the woman, turns towards her and lights her cigarette for her.  She puffs it intently and lets out the smoke next to his face.  It was then that Westman realized that she was actually much more youthful than his first glimpse.  Surely, this girl was closer to 20 than she was to 26.  Her hair was black as the night and her skin quite white.  And talk about a rockin t-shirt!
She looks at him for a few seconds.
Woman: Hey, haven't I seen youse somewhere before?
And, while the woman was clearly gifted at sounding American, it was apparent that she had a slight lilt.  Westman would have to guess a first generation here.  But what of?  Irish?  Welsh?  Liverpudian?  Really hard to tell at this stage.
Westman simply nods.
Stop being a dork dude.  She's a woman.  An attractive one at that.  Just say "hi" to her already, quit waving her off.
Westman: I'm Scott Westman.  US Senator from Montana.
The woman's dark brown eyes light up with recognition.
Woman: Oh yeah!  You're that one guy who is on the news sometimes!
Westman chuckles.
Westman: Yeah you could say that.  And who are you?
Woman: Mr. Westman, that will cost you a drink.  I'm only a poor starving model after all!
I guess models do know how to unwind in casual wear after all.
Westman lifts his hand in the air to signal Carl, the bartender.
Westman: Bartender!  Get the lady a Kraken on the rocks, double shot, with Ginger Ale!
Carl: You got it Westman.
The woman looks at him, clearly impressed.
Woman: Senator, it's like you can read minds!
Westman: I know the look of someone who needs a hard drink and ale.  My father is a bartender after all.
Woman: Very fascinating.
Westman: But I don't talk about him much, and for good reason.  THe man was unlikable and petty.  He didn't rise a lot of hope and confidence in people about his future.
The woman takes a puff on her cigarette.
Woman: And your mother?
Westman laughs
Westman: Not exactly the best role model.  You could say I got extremes on both ends.
The woman took the hint and backed off the subject as her drink arrived.
Westman: Thanks Carl.
Carl gives him a thumbs up.
The woman chugs the whole drink down, taking time to belch it out.
Westman: Excuse you!
Woman: Oh thanks Senator.  Thanks.
Westman: So you say you're a model. . . . Miss?
The woman looks at him and gives him what could be an Oscar winning smile.
Woman: The name's Calpernia, Calpernia Weils.
Westman: Fascinating name.
Calpernia: I work fulltime at the Ford Agency in LA.  Lately I've had plenty of travel time over here as well as flexible schooling.
Westman's eyebrows raise.
Westman: Oh cool, so you're a student?
Calpernia: This is going to sound really dorky, but I'm pursuing an Archaeology degree at UCLA.
Westman: Fascinating.  How old are ya?
Calpernia smiles again.
Calpernia: Eighteen.
Westman: I noticed that slight lilt of yours, what is it?
Calpernia deashes her cigarette into a nearby ashtray.
Calpernia: I'm from Glasgow, Senator.
Oh right!
Westman: Really?  You're Scottish?
Calpernia: Well, more or less.  It's so hard to keep track.  Anyway, Senator if you're not so busy now, given it's nearly 9:45 now, would you mind playing me in some billiards?
Damn, I actually like this one.  What do I do?
Westman nods before chugging the rest of his drink.
Westman: Alright let's do it.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2013, 02:16:07 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2013, 02:17:55 PM by Irish Racism, the Poster »

October 3rd, 1987
In a Restaurant
Denver, Colorado:

Defense Attorney Charles Manning looks over at the bearded and longhaired man across from him in the scraggy leather jacket.  Scott Westman, incumbent Governor (yes, somebody like him can be elected Governor of a state now days) and recently accused seditionist.  Once the news got out Manning went out from his home office in Duluth and drove down to Denver where Westman was being held.  He got there about two hours ago when he came into the jailhouse he was being held in and had the authorities temporarily release him into his custody so they could talk over a few drinks and food.
Manning, in his professionally dressed attire and his short cropped light brown hair, felt at odds with the counter culture politician.  Sure, Manning was a liberal and got into fist fights over the legality of DAA, but he wasn't this guy.
Manning raises a glass, takes a sip, and begins to speak.
Manning: Mister Westman. . . . . as you can understand tomorrow we'll have to hassle for bail.  I imagine this shouldn't be too much of a hassle, given that federal prosecutors in cases like these general allow low bail amounts, given certain provision.
Westman eyes him strangely.
Westman: Like what?
Manning: Well, things like armed escorts and the like, usually following you in unmarked black vans.
Westman puts his head in his hands.
Westman: Jeez, I don't want these guys outside my doors while I'm laying pipe.
Manning laughs.
Manning: My witch of a mother-in-law sleeps in the same house as I do.  Grow up.
Manning gets out a piece of paper and a pen, motioning for Westman to sign.
Manning: You should feel privilieged Westman.  Donlon himself will be appearing before the court.  Due to the Government's involvement, however, he can't take direct prosecution.
Westman: I'm sure he's very crushed.
Manning: He is actually.  Besides losing the chance to be in the China Star Ballet in 3rd grade this is the most disappointing event in his life.
Westman laughs.
Manning pulls out a large photograph.
Manning: Instead, she will be taking the Prosecution.
Westman looks at the photo of a woman with salt and pepper hair rolled up into a bun.
Manning: Claire Underwood, a Senior DA from Los Angeles.  They believe a woman of her gravitas and independence can establish a strong government case against you.
Westman: Fascinating.
Manning: Don't worry though, Donlon will be there.  Tomorrow we will go over bail and your plea, which I assume will be "not guilty".  All we need to do is show up, make our case, and run through the witness rack.  The Government sounds like it has a weak case for criminal charges and this seems more like a bureaucratic mess.  Donlon is going nowhere and Rockefeller certainly is avoiding association with him, given his recent entrance into the GOP field and trying to deflect all blame onto Donlon.  Rocky wants this over as quickly and out of public consciousness as much as we do, regardless of what anyone else in the Administration thinks.  The longer this trial goes on, it only makes him look worse by association.
Westman: Let us hope so Charlie.  Let us hope so.  Anyway, my daughter will be here later this week with the bail money.  Let's make tomorrow count.
Manning: Good.  You don't mind me asking where is your wife?
Westman: Busy.
Manning: But you're being charged in Federal Court!  What else could be she worried about!?
Westman: She's a Kennedy, she always has something to do.
Manning: Well okay, then, is there anybody you think I should contact?
Westman: Well. . . . . Carl needs to stay at home base to take care of administration issues, Larry needs to stay in the Senate to address matters.  Helen hates me.  I dont' have the courage to call Marci.  Brea is already coming.  Brian. . . . . yes call Brian Schweitzer.  I need his moral support.  Besides, he's hardly in the Senate anyway.
Manning: Alright, Schweitzer.  Anyone else. . . . . . a woman perhaps?
Westman: Yes, actually. . . . there is a woman.. . . . . . .

November 29th, 1978
Norfolk, VA Hilton
Hotel Bar
9:45 pm

It was down to the wire in the game.  Weils had only two left, Westman had four.  Westman, for all his penchant of being a bar dude, sucked at billiard games.
Weils: Senator, you should really stick to bills and not balls.
Westman takes a drink.
Westman: Give me a break Cally, been drinking myself silly since the 10th grade.  Can't expect me to shoot straight.
Calpernia laughs.
Weils: Playing pool is a fine art, Senator.  One cannot simply just play, one must develop form.  And natural luck.
Westman looks at her, shocked.
Westman: You serious?  Luck?
Weils shrugs.
Weils: If you are confident enough. . . .and ballsy enough. . . . you get your own luck.  You can sort of harvest it if you will.
Westman: You seem to know alot about hitting balls into holes Calpernia.  Why are you a model?
Calpernia laughs.
Weils: Well, I seem to be really good at turning heads.  That helps a lot when you are up against competition.  Whether that is in the Billiard Hall, in the bedroom, or on the walkway.
Westman: Or when competiting against heavily armed Middle Eastern excavation teams in ancient Sumaria?
Weils laughs.
Weils: Well more like insecure nerds with pocket protectors who break out their back after two hours with a shovel.  But yes, pretty much.

(to be continued)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2013, 03:08:22 AM »
« Edited: May 13, 2013, 03:57:27 AM by Irish Racism, the Poster »

Hilton Bar Cont.
1:21 AM:

Westman is in the booth having a few more drinks with the lovely and mysterious Calpernia Weils, the Archaeology student who works as a model and spends her downtime apparently smoking and drinking at bars.
Weils: Senator, I got a confession to make.
Westman: Okay, let's hear it.
She leans in close to his ear and whispers:
Weils: I.. . . .left. . . . my. . .  idea in my hotel room.
She has a mischievious smile on her face.  Westman puts his arm around her and gives her a playful hug.
Westman: Sneaky little girl..  . . . .are you trying to get me to buy all of these drinks?
She coddles her head onto his upper arm.
Weils: Maaaaaaaaaayyyyyybeeeeeeee.
Westman laughs.
Westman: Babe, all you needed to do was smile.  Papa Scott always gets drinks for his girls.
A tear falls out of Calpernia's right eye.
Weils: I'm one of your girls?
Westman pets her head with both hands and buries his forehead against her temple.
Westman: Yep.
Calpernia starts wailing really loudly.  The bartender looks pissed.
Carl: Hey Westman!  Tell your ladyfriend to quiet down!  I'm trying to watch some HBO!
Calpernia looks up at him, completely sloshed.
Calpernia: Thank you Scott.  Yoush show schweet.
Westman, who sees blurry images everytime his head moves, chuckles.
Man, this chick is really wasted.  Better stop this now.
Westman: Sh*t, alright let me get this over with and get you up to your room.  Carl!
The bartender comes out and approaches Westman's table.
Carl: Here's your tab, I figured you probably need it by now.  Who is this anyway?
Westman: Oh this is Calpernia Weils, she's a model under the Ford Agency.
Carl looks over the trashed, cigarette smelling girl with a freaking cowboy western jacket and a Deep Purple shirt on, and chuckles.
Carl: What does she model?  Female roadie gear?
Westman grabs him by the shirt and brings him down to eye level.
Westman: I ought to slosh you!
Carl laughs and puts the piece of paper down.
Carl: There's your tab.  Now, when you and your niece are done sharing war stories you can pay up.
Westman looks at the ticket.
5 Blue Moons from the tap  $2.75
1 Kraken Dark Rum 12 Oz with Coke $1.50
10 Captain Morgans 12 oz with Coke  $12.50
14 Tequila Shots $4.20
4 Jameson Irish Whiskey with Seagram's Ginger Ale, pint size $8.00
4 Driecken's German Brunette from tap, $5.00  
2 Packs of Kamel Red cigarettes, $3.86
2 Packs of High Quality Winston Cigars, Cherry flavored, $20
10 Billiard Games $12.50

Liquor taxes $5.21
Sales tax      $6.71

Total: $82.23

Westman looks astonished
Westman: $82.23!  Jeez Carl, are you trying to Jew me down here?
Carl: Well, your lady had a lot to drink, and smoke.  It's a miracle she isn't dead yet.
Westman: $82.23!  That's a fortune!
Carl laughs.
Carl: If currency keeps inflating, it might get you a Pepsi in the future.
Westman laughs.
Westman: You would think.
Carl: Where'd she learn how to guzzle that much booze anyway?  Or smoke like a chimney?
Westman: You got me bud, what I'm wondering is how she can drink that much and still be a model.
Carl: Photo touchups.  They get rid of the binge marks on her face, eliminate the cigarette burns on her wrist, and take out her overnight beer gut.  Simple.
Westman gets out four twenties and a ten.
Westman: Keep the change.
Carl grins.
Carl: I would say you are too kind, but this is under the recommended 25% tip.
Westman: I'm not here to give you hooker money Carl, that's what your mother does.
Carl: Screw you!
Westman finishes his last drink.
Westman: You would, fag.
Carl chuckles and points at the sign.
Carl: Did you see the sign?  The new one.
No Homos Allowed.
Westman: Always in the closet Carl.  Always.
Carl: Rather be in the closet than in prison, Senator McJail.
Westman shakes Carl's hand.
Westman: Nice to see you my friend.  Anyway, I need to take this one to get some beauty sleep.
Westman ruffles through Calpernia's pockets and finds her room key.
Westman laughs.
Westman: This chick likes to be pretty high.
Carl: Literally.
Westman drags Calpernia out of the booth and walk/drags her towards the elevator.  They are welcomed by some weird looks by some concerned senior citizens in upper class crust clothing.  Westman, not recognizable by many in his black leather jacket, black jeans, and White Knight t-shirt, grins at them.
Westman: Good evening my lord.  Will you and the missus be traveling by horse or carriage this evening?
Westman and Calpernia burst out laughing as the snobs look on them with disdain.  Calpernia takes a theatrical bow to the floor of the elevator.
Calpernia: Apologies my lord, the mister is on his way to the gallows to be hung.  Though, he looks pretty hung already, ahahahahahaha!
Calpernia picks a cigar out of her pocket and lights it, taking a big puff in the old man's face.  The old man looks outraged.
Old Man: Such contemptible air!  Hmmph, roadies.
Westman laughs.
Calpernia:  Don't we wish!  May I introduce thee good sir to the incumbent senior citizen of Montana?
Everyone looks at her confused, even Westman.
Westman: The senior. . . . . what?
Calpernia: Oh Senator. . . . mah bad. . . . Scott Westman!
The old folks look even more shocked, probably wondering how such a classless drunk asshole could become US Senator.  Even if he's from Montana.
Bell dings.  Floor 14.
Calpernia: There ore bail!  We'll see you next erection season!
Westman and Calpernia laugh their way out of the elevator and proceed to her room.
Damn, which way is it?  I don't remember the hallway being this being.  Or shiny.  Or spinny.
Westman takes the even drunker Calpernia towards the right hallway and heads down it.  He starts reading the numbers
14*i
*$#@
BEER
DRUMS,  wait that's five!
1405, yes!

Westman inserts Cal's key.  It won't open!
Westman: That's funny.
Voice: Hey asshole!  Get off my door!  I'm trying to sleep!
Calpernia: OFFICERS!  THERE'S A MAN IN THE ROOM!  RAPE!  RAPE!!!!!
The door opens and there is a surly muscled dude, shirtless, looking pissed.
Man: Get the hell out, now!
Westman assumes the Irish boxer pose, to the bemusement of the other guy.
Westman: Try your best laddie!  I am world champion fifteen times over in bare knuckles on the Lower East Side of New York City and Falcon Heights in Chicagy Town!  I'll be your ass flat drunk if I have ta!  And then I'll get with your miss-
WHAM!  AND HE GOES DOWN FOR THE COUNT!
Westman gets back up as the other man is in combat position, ready to pummel him into oblivion.
Westman: Why you so mean?  We only want to get into 1405-
Man: Man you dumb!  Man you so dumb!  This is 1425. . . . dumbsh*t.  Get glasses next time you get sloshed, you blind wino.
Just then out of nowhere, a familiar figure appeared.  A familiar bigass figure.
Calpernia: Look!  It's Larry Watson!
How the hell did she recognize him but not me, huh?
Watson walks up to Westman and gets in between the two, carrying them under his massive shoulders.
Watson: What're you doing here?  Scott, get a hang of this drinking!
Westman: You're really one to talk.
Watson: Haha asshole.  Good thing I ran into you.  Now, what room is this fool staying in this time?
Calpernia: Actually. .  .  it's my womb.  Womb Farteen Au Dour.
Watson: Oh dear, tomorrow's going to be very interesting.  You didn't tell me that you were dating a Deep Purple roadie man.
Westman: My bad man.  Yeah, I was surprised.  Didn't know Deep Purple roadies were pretty hot.
Calpernia laughs.
Calpernia: Cowparnian Hells.  Oi noddle and toody Awkayknowledgy-
Watson: Okay, okay.  Enough.  Here you guys go.
Watson unlocks the door and hands Westman the key.  He gives Westman a hug.
Watson: Alright man, sober up.
Westman flips him off.
The door closes.
Thank goodness for the light.  The light is good.  The light is merciful.
Westman walks Calpernia over to her bed and gently places her down.  She's immediately out.
So peaceful, so beautiful, so friendly.  I want to be friends forever with you!
And then blackness and a thud.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2013, 03:36:40 AM »

The Afternoon After
2ish, I think?

Westman:
Man, what a crazy dream.
Then he realized he had a pounding unbearable headache and lost control of his right arm.  It hurt like hell.
And there's Calpernia.
He could imagine this would be a pretty comical scene in a party animal movie or something, two sloshed out adults lying fully clothed on top of bedsheets literally passed out on top of each other.
This chick really knows how to party.
Westman looked at the clock and saw the time.
2:45PM, you suck
Well, thank goodness I'm in the Senate!  Most bosses would have my head by now! Now, let's see if I can just push this human log off my arm.
Westman pushes Calpernia on her upper arm, hoping to turn her over with her own body's momentum.  However, the more he moves the more it hurts his right arm.
Damn it, wake up already.
YAWRYWAWRGHYARWWARGH!
Was that human?
Westman looks as Calpernia yawns.  He also notices that she's missing her jacket.  So is he.  Did they or housekeeping take them off during the night?
Probably did, it's unbearable sleeping in those.
Calpernia turns towards Westman, crumpling his arm even further.  He winces in pain as she shifts herself over onto him, resting her hand on his chest. . . . freeing his right arm.  She looks at him and smiles with lazy eyes.
Calpernia: Hey. . . . you're good cuddle buddy.
Well good for me yeah hoo.
Westman: Cal, I think you might need to sleep some more of the booze off.
Westman shifts himself off of the bed and falls on the floor of the room.  Cal looks at him funny.
Calpernia:Man, I smell like dogsh*t.
Westman: I was about to say a Cigar shop, but close enough.
Calpernia: Anyway, I got a headache and need to take a shower.  I don't mean to rush you off, but I got a flight at 6:30.
Westman: Well okay.  Here's my Senate Number and my Falls Church Townhouse number, and address.  You call me anytime you want to hang out and I can make it happen.  You great buddy Cal.
Calpernia laughs.
Calpernia: Yeah that was a pretty wild time.
Westman looks at Calpernia and realized how truly beautiful she looks, even as disheveled as she is this time of the morning.
Westman: And if you need a place to stay, I got a guest room.
Calpernia: I'll consider it.  You're pretty cool guy for a Senator.  Thanks for helping up to my room.  Man I need to stop binging.
Westman: Don't we all?
Calpernia: My friends are never going to believe that I got binged out with a US Senator.  Man how just insane is that!
Westman: PRetty insane.  Say, do you have a boyfriend. . . . or girlfriend?
Calpernia looks at him funny.
Calpernia: You're not going to ask me out, are ya?
Westman is suddenly put on defense.
Westman: Oh heavens no.  You're nearly as young as my own daughter!
Calpernia looks at him weird.
Calpernia: You have a daughter who is almost as old as me?
Westman: It's complicated.  She's I think she's 15 now?
Calpernia: How old are you?
Westman: Uhhhhhh . . . . . 33.
Calpernia looks impressed.
Calpernia: Wow, I would've never guessed it.  You look. . . . . 26.  No, I don't have anyone.  It's kind of hard for me to find somebody to have a relationship with.
Westman: I understand, busy life, busy career.
Calpernia looks at him.  HE couldn't tell if she was agreeing with what he said or giving him a look that said he didn't understand.  Man, this chick is just so hard to read.
Westman: Anyway, if you do find somebody, I'd like you and your to go with me and one of my girls to a local DC restaurant and maybe watch a movie premiere at the local film festival.  You down?
Calpernia: Yeah. . . . maybe someday.
Westman comes forward and gives her a hug.  A tight one.
Westman: I'll see you someday soon.  Love ya.
Calpernia laughs.
Calpernia: Love you too, I guess?
At the time, it meant very little, if nothing at all.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2013, 01:13:10 PM »

Advisory: This next entry contains some politically incorrect slurs.  Remember, this is the eighties in a pretty bigoted alternate TL.

October 3rd, 1987
Denver County Processing Center
9:45 PM:

Manning and Westman are in a crowded lobby full of zipperhead, crackheads, freaks, thieves, and other general assorted lowlife that smell accordingly.
Manning: Well Scott, this is where I must leave you.
Westman looks around, shocked.
Westman: What!?  I have to stay here?!
Manning: Sorry bud, but that's how the system operates.  You get arrested you stay arrested until bail is posted.  Unfortunately that is tomorrow.
Westman: Man, I ain't staying here with these meth addicted f****ts.
A tall man in biker gear comes over to where Westman is.
Biker: What was that asshole?
Westman steps closer and sneers.  He pulls out a tic tac.
Westman: Here's a tic-tac.  Your breath smells like cock.
Biker: Oh yeah!  You would know wouldn't ya?
Biker slaps Westman hard.
Biker: Little bitch.
Guards would normally show up by about now, but this is a very crowded processing center with all the officers dealing with the other freaks at the setup desks.  Westman looks into the eyes of the biker and snarls.
Westman: I've beaten men way stronger than you within an inch of their life.  Some of them cops.  Think they were all tough because of their gear and them night sticks, no sir.  This is one hippie whose ass doesn't break for anybody.  You think that this tough guy act scares me?  Well it doesn't.  So, if you want to rest in peace tonight, I would think very carefully about what your next move is.  I'm a Governor, and I'm not afraid of the political consequences of beating your ass.  Question is though: Are you?
Manning comes up between them.
Manning: Whoa!  Whoa!  Hey asshole!  You trying to get yourself killed before the trial?  What the f***s tha mattah with you?  I come down from Duluth, thousands of miles, to defend some egomaniac sh*thead who is itching to beat him some gay biker ass?
Biker guy raises a finger at Manning.
Biker: You watch it!
Manning looks at him with a glare.
Manning: Or else what?  You think you're so big and tough and intimidating?  Well let me tell you something pal: My mother-in-law is Jewish!
Biker's mouth opens in disbelief.  He seems concerned now.
Biker: I'm sorry.
Manning looks at him with a serious look.
Manning: Damn right you better be, cocksucker.
Biker looks offended.
Biker: Hey!
Manning points a finger at him.
Manning: It's been three months since that bitch moved in and everyday since then I've been plotting her inevitable demise.  Everyday, every night it's always the same thing: "Chalie!  Where's the sugar?  Chalie!  Where's the remote control?  Chalie!  When are you going to produce me some grandchildren!?  Chalie, when was the last time you talked to your wife?"  All the time she's in there, she's in my f***ing ass!  Always getting involved in me and Deborah's life, throwing up a stink every night I stay out in the bars with my friends because my wife's f****t art friends come ovah!  I mean I'm for equal rights and sh*t, think there's something f***ed about psychiatric treatment, but good lord speech therapy people!
Biker: If you need any help around here, let me know.
Manning looks at the Biker with disgust.
Manning: For one you can stop looking at my pecker, you f***in fruit.
Biker walks off, muttering under his breath.
Westman looks at him with awe.
Manning: What?
Westman: That was incredible.
Manning: F***ing cocksucker was looking me over like I'm a f***ing vanilla ice cream cone.
Westman: Ya know, I was using "f****t" as more of a general term.
Manning: Yes of course, I know.  However, Biker boy over there looks like he was scanning the seas of freaks for his beak, if you catch my drift.
Westman looks at the biker and then at Charles.
Westman: What?  No way!  That guy ain't. . . . .
Manning laughs.
Manning: And you're a Governor?  Sh*t, no wonder why they pay lawyers more.  I should run for Governor of Minnesota one day.  I'd probably be a smarter guy than half of youse stupid f***s at least.
Westman laughs.
Westman: Hell of a character Chuck, hell of a character.
Manning: Anyway, I got to get going.  This is one of my few nights of freedom away from my wife and her evil overlord mother.  See you.
Westman waves goodbye.  Then an officer comes up to him.
Officer: Governor, this way.
The officer escorts Westman to what appears to be a secluded almost empty part of the building.  They arrive in front of an elevator.  They get in and the officer presses a button marked "B3".  To Westman's shock, the elevator starts going down.
Westman: What?  Is this?
Officer: Basement level three, where rich famous assholes like you are stored.
Thank f***, thought I'd have mouthbreathers trying to molest me all night.
The door opens and Westman observes an entrance lobby with a woman sitting behind a plated glass booth.  The officer steps forward and speaks into the microphone.
Officer: Temporary: Westman, Scott.
The booth lady presses a button and the door to Westman's left opens and he is taken through into a pretty clean, spacious, and luxurious rec room with some exercise equipment, a tv, and even a bar.
Officer: Bar's extra.  This way Westman.
Officer leads him to a door with an electromagnetic tape on it.  The officer waves a scanner over it, there is a clicking sound followed by a green light, and he opens the door.
Officer: There you go.  If you need anything press this intercom button.
Westman: Curfew?
Officer chuckles.
Officer: Not here.  Just keep the sodomy in the cells.  Good luck tomorrow.
The officer leaves as Westman looks at his cell room.  In it was a comfy looking twin size bed, the intercom system, a pretty nice radio (Westinghouse), a mini-refrigerator stocked with soda (soda?  who drinks that?  kids?), a desk with some stationary and several hundred pieces of paper, and a mini-tv.  And apparently he can leave his cell anytime he wants.
I just hope these guys haven't given into sodomy yet.  That would suck.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2013, 03:54:47 PM »
« Edited: May 21, 2013, 08:34:50 AM by Communists For McCain »

February 3rd, 1979
Fairfax, Virginia
Westman Townhouse:

Scott Westman is in his study having a good smoke and a drink while doing. .  . . well nothing.  Well except, writing his thoughts in a journal, which he had no idea why he kept doing that:

February 2nd, 1979

Another miserable day.  No work done at all.  Senate had no ideas either.  Marci still hates me.  Laura is still taking my money and keeping my kid from me.  Nora won't leave me alone, I can see why I didn't take her with me when I left.  I miss my daughter so much, it literally is driving me to drink.  I wish you were here Brea, the nights would be less miserable.  All the grown cosmopolitan women in the world can't fill the void I have in me since you left.

A tear falls on the page, as memories of the last time he saw his daughter flashed in his head.  She had come up to see him, shortly before election season.  She brought Marci up there with her, and for a day or so everything was the way it was.  The way it should've always been.  But then something happened, that something being Marci reminding Westman what an asshole he was.  What a cheating, rotten, low grade asshole who should've been born a eunich.
Brea, to her credit, stood by Westman.  She stood by him and glared at the girl she used to consider her best friend.  Her eyes not having understanding or sympathy for the cheated young woman, but spite.  Pure venomous spite.  It didn't matter that her father was a horrible human being, who used women like toilet paper to satisfy his needs.  Didn't matter that once he was in Washington he threw away his relationship with a lovestruck teenager to get in some reporter's pants.  No, what mattered was that this vile creature, this blond troll of a woman, had dared to insult her father.  Dared to raise her voice against him.
He remembered the scene like it was yesterday:

October 29th, 1978:

Westman, Marci Flounders, and Brea are all walking along a bridge in Fairfax.  Westman reaches down and clutches hands with Marci and Brea, interlocking his fingers with both.  Brea moved closer in and hugged herself against his right arm, making a sigh of contentment.  However, Marci seemed awfully stiff.
And Westman was touched when he saw that his daughter's face was red with tears.
Brea: I missed you father.
Oh great, weepy daughter in the middle of a park with my girlfriend (?).  Talk about awkward.
Marci broke away from Westman and looked out over the nearby creek.  Westman knew then, sensed, what was about to happen.  He let go of Brea and walked over to Marci, wrapping his arms around her midsection and kissing the top of her head.  She sighed.
And then suddenly, she started crying.
Great, estrogen all around.
When she spoke, her sharp tone caught him off guard.
Marci: Damn it Scott!  Why did you have to make me fall in love with you!?
Westman had no answer.  In fact, he was surprised she even came up here to see him.
Finally, he tried his best.
Westman: Look Marci. . . . . sometimes things happen in our lives that changes all of our plans for the future.  I mean, I thought it'd be a really long time before I-
Marci turns around, redfaced.
Marci: What!?  Before you saw me again!?  Do you think I wouldn't be able to manage, to cope, with having a lover in DC?  Because I was only a kid!?  F*** you!
Brea gasps.
Westman: I understand your anger, but remember I wanted you to be here!  I wanted you to be here with me!  And you refused!  You know me Marci, you know I'm a.. . . . a horny devil!  What was I supposed to do?  DIM!?
Marci: Maybe you could've!  Maybe at least show a little bit of respect, show a little bit of love for what we had!  Instead, you invited that slooze of a reported into bed with us.  Without asking if I was okay with it!  YOU WANTED TO QUIT US BEFORE I EVER DID YOU SELFISH SH*T!
Westman was hit hard by that remark.  But, as hard as it hit him, he knew she did something much worse just then.  Looking back behind he saw her face.  Red faced, but no longer sad.
Westman rubbed his face before turning back to her.
Westman: You better stop making a scene!  You are embarrassing me!
Marci slaps him, and then spits in his face.
Marci: LIKE I SHOULD GIVE A DAMN WHAT YOU THINK, YOU LECHEROUS ARSE!  GO TO HELL!
Suddenly, Brea was angrily stomping her way towards them and came a few inches from Marci's face.  Sizzling with rage, she had enough control to utter:
Brea: You stay away from us.  Go on, GO!  GO!  I HATE YOU!  I'M ASHAMED TO HAVE BEEN YOUR FRIEND!
For a second Westman could've sworn to have seen a pang of guilt on Marci's face before it turned into resolute stubbornness.
In a tone barely above a whisper, Marci Flounders composed herself.
Marci: Fine. (sobbily) Fine.  If that's the way it has to be. . . . (rubs her eyes) so be it.  It's a shame really, you're such a good person Brea.  But. . . . . . you're just too much of a Daddy's Girl.
Marci walks off, sadly, as Brea wrapped her arms around her father from behind, crying.  Westman felt beyond horrible, it would've been one thing if him and Marci never saw each other again.  However, because of their malfunction, his daughter had lost a good and close friend.
Over him.
He moved his hands down and grasped hers, grasping them tightly.  There they stood, for what felt like ten hours but was only ten minutes, before walking off towards his apartment.  Back at his apartment, Brea ended up tearing to shreds her plane ticket and announced that she wanted to live with him.  In DC.  Westman politely refused, saying that he wouldn't be able to stand her being with him, seeing how he really was outside of her world.  Brea shed a tear, before saying "ok".  But she stayed a few extra days, as a compromise.
He cried himself into a drunken stupor the night she left.

Back to Feb 3, 1979:

Westman got pulled back into reality.
What else do I have?  Perignon?  Hennessy?  Some good ole Jameson?
Westman gets up to go to his kitchen to get some alcohol when suddenly he hears a knock at his door.
Holy hell.  Who's up at this time of night?
He opens the door and comes face to face with a beautiful college aged girl with jet black hair in a chic tan leather jacket, a purple shirt, and some fancy looking jeans and TENNIS SHOES?
Westman has a good chuckle as he embraces his model friend from California.
Westman: Calpernia!  My pretty friend!  How're ya!
She smiles widely.
Calpernia: Oh great.  Look, I know this is bad timing and it's improper and usually people need some notification. . . . but I really wanted to surprise you.
Westman just shrugged.
Westman: Well okay great!
And then he noticed the taxi cab man carrying some suitcases and other bags to the door.  Westman looked at her, perplexed.
Westman: Uh.. . . . I'm sorry?  What are those?  Surprise presents?
Calpernia looked at him bemusedly.
Calpernia: Silly Senator, I'm moving in.
Westman was a little shocked, and really unprepared to house a guest.  Especially a young woman.
Westman: What!?
Calpernia laughs and then gives Westman doe eyes and for good measure touches his face.
Calpernia: Sweet Scott, didn't you tell me once there was always a room for me here?  Come on, let me stay here and I'll let you. . . . . . . cuddle with me.
Westman gives her an aw shucks look.
Westman: Alright. . . . fine.  Man, why do you guys always do that!?
Calpernia sighs sweetly before hugging Westman.
Calpernia: What darling?
I'm either going to be in heaven or hell after this.
Calpernia: Oh yes, I also need money to pay the cab driver.
Westman: Really?  You show up out of the blue, wanting to move in, and on top of it all I have to pay the cab driver?  Really!?
She gives him a cute girly smile that makes Westman weak.
Calpernia: Please Scott?
Hey man, she said she'll cuddle with you if you let her stay.  G-rated affection is better than none.
Westman sighs before handing the cab driver fifty dollars.  Cab driver smiles.
Driver: Gee thanks mister!
Westman: No problem.  Get yourself a woman. . . . Joe.
Driver: Okay!
Driver goes back to his cab and drives off.  Calpernia follows Westman into the house.  Westman settles down on the couch and she sits down right next to him, putting one of his arms around her and nestling against his chest.  Westman sighs, contently, and lights up a cigarette.
Calpernia: I wasn't lying about the cuddling!  Say, do you have any alcohol?
Here we go again.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2013, 05:09:16 PM »

October 4th, 1987
Denver Court
10:25AM:

Westman:
Damn it Charlie, how many times do you have to go over those notes?
Manning: Sorry, I keep getting distracted.  System is really broke sometimes.  All this electronic equipment crap, deleting my entries if I push the wrong feckin key by accident.  At least when we had typewriters simple screwups could be fixed with some corrector fluid, instead of having to write the same feckin thing all over again.
Westman sighs.
Westman: Tell me about it.
The door in the back of the room opens as some wunderkind with a light complexion in a grey suit makes his way to the front.  He gets to the front of the room and then turns towards Westman and Manning.  Manning nods.
Manning: Oh yes Mr. Donlon.  So nice of you to show up!
Lloyd Donlon shakes his head with enthusiasm.  Somebody has had too much coffee.
Donlon: Oh thanks Charles!  Work going slow?
Manning grins.
Manning: As usual.
Donlon: Kind of weird, considering the amount of tax evaders that are on your client list.  What is it Charlie?  Did a bunch of them retire this year?  Go into hiding in Fiji?
Manning: No Lloyd, they aren't into the whole eating peoples' dicks thing.
Lloyd, shifting eyes to Westman, laughs.
Donlon: Well, looks like you won't have much trouble on that front for long, Charlie.
Westman then notices Claire Underwood, early fifties with a tanned complexion, give him eyes that seemed to say "I'm sorry I'm with this idiot hardon."  Westman just smiles at her.  A customary exchange as that one would give to his executioner.  But at the moment, it was the three of them withstanding the fifth grade insults of an Assistant Attorney General of the United States.
Westman, feeling the time for a cheap shot, spoke up.
Westman: That is such excellent rhetorical skills you have.  Where did you get your law degree?  From Arts and Crafts?
Donlon sneers at Westman.
Donlon: Harvard Law.  You see unlike some other Masters (sneers), mine required hard work.  Unless of course you consider smoking illegal substances as hard work.
Westman: Well of course.  You have to figure out ways to assemble your pot of choice without police intervention.  It's very hard work, asshole.
Donlon: Alrighty then! (shakes head before grabbing hair and pulling it)  You want to play Westman!  You want to go up against Uncle Sam!  Well, step right up and prepare to fall from your short plank in the water tank!
Westman laughs.
Westman: Wow, I literally don't know how to respond to th-
ALL RISE!
Judge William Hallerman enters the room and takes the podium.  Looking quite plastered and really irritated at being summoned here, he banged his gavel.
Hallerman: Alright.. . . . . . . let's talk bail.
Claire Underwood stands.
Underwood: The prosecution wants bail set at $5,000.
Manning looks surprised.
Hallerman: Only $5,000, Mrs. Underwood.
Underwood nods.
Underwood: If that's alright with the Defense.
Manning leans into Westman.
Manning: Well they are being extremely generous today.  They must know that they do not have a case for holding you here.  Hell, they are probably just trying to buy themselves some time to make their case.  Like I said, these people know nothing.
Westman: Dude, I'll pay $5,000 today.
Manning: You have that much money, ON YOU?
Westman: Never hurts to be cautious.  Anyway, I don't care if I am $5,000 poorer.  I want to drink at a real bar tonight and have consensual sexual relations with a woman, not some old fat CPA guy in for stock manipulation.  Did you talk to Brian and Calpernia?
Manning: Yes.  Brian is going to meet us for drinks for lunch.
Westman: Alright, good.  What about her?
Manning: Won't be in until about 9 this evening.
Westman makes a groaning noise.
What so special about this dame anyway?  You go to any dance club in this city the action is pretty easy.
Manning: DIY until then.
Manning stands up.
Manning: $5,000 sounds good your honor.
Hallerman pounds the gavel.
Hallerman: $5,000, sold!  Okay, next case please.
The Defense and Prosecuting Teams get up and start heading towards the doors in the back.  As they are headed out Westman feels this hand on his shoulder and turns to see a man in a flannel shirt and suit jacket.
Schweitzer.  I recognize that awful matching scheme anywhere.
Westman: Aww you made it.  Good.  We need to talk about your future.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2013, 06:41:37 PM »
« Edited: May 21, 2013, 08:32:55 AM by Communists For McCain »

May 27th, 1979
Drunken Dutchman
Fairfax, Virginia:

Schweitzer:
So. . . . . tell me about this girl.
Westman is looking at his bottle of beer, and then takes a sip.
Westman: Well okay man.  Dig this.  She's like a model from California, originally Scottish-
Schweitzer: A Scot?  She doesn't have like the whole accent thing going does she?
Westman: Oh god no, thank goodness.  I wouldn't date any chick that talked like a drunken man.  Freakin' Scots.
The two men raise their beers in an unofficial salute, and then took a drink.
Schweitzer: Okay, a Scot-American model, check.  Is this one older than your daughter?
Westman laughs, hard.
Westman: Seriously Brian?  You think I would let a random 15 year old girl live with me?  You know how bad the press would be?
Schweitzer: Granted.
Westman then realizes something very weird.
Westman: What're you doing here anyway?  Shouldn't you be in college or ranching or something like that?
Schweitzer ponders this for a second.
Schweitzer: Let's just say that I'm a very convenient plot device, put into this segment of the story to serve as your drinking buddy.  Or, I'm here on a longterm internship with Philly Steel.
Westman: Oh is that right?  How's that gal of yours?
Schweitzer: Pretty good.  I'm waiting to pop the question.
Westman waves him off.
Westman: Fool!  Marriage is for losers.  I've been single for nearly a decade now, and I feel freer than ever.
Schweitzer: Which is why you're agonizing over some Ford Agency model who you let live with you?
Thad O'Connor shows up.
O'Connor: Oh hey gentlemen.  Sorry I'm late.
He sits next to Westman, and then signals to the waiter that he wants a Moxie with Jack.
Schweitzer: Oh hey, Brian Schweitzer!  I'm one of Scott's friends from back home.
O'Connor: Oh in Missoula?
Schweitzer: No, White Fish.
O'Connor: Hmm, interesting.  Scott doesn't talk a alot about that place.
Schweitzer: I imagine, he wanted to get out of there as soon as possible.  Working for that asshole "uncle" of his really takes it's toll.
O'Connor: So, what's up with Calpernia now?
Westman: Well I really don't know.  She's lived here for about four months now and I have no idea how to read her.  I don't know what she wants, I don't know how she feels about. . . . .well us.
O'Connor: Oh right, you fancy her don't you?
Westman: Yes damn it.  However, we're in this weird friendship zone and it's like really hard to make a move and sh*t.
Schweitzer: Well, hasn't she shown at least a little interest?  I mean any at all?
Westman: Well, she's very affectionate.  I mean, she likes nestle against me when watching tv, or sit on my lap.  I mean, she knows I get aroused when she does that sh*t, but she acts like nothing is weird or that there is any kind of chemistry between us.
O'Connor: Yeah usually a woman moves in with you and within two days you are in a committed relationship.  For about five hours.
Westman: Thank you Captain Wiseass.
Schweitzer looks intrigued.
Schweitzer: So you say this girl will be affectionate with you and act like nothing is up?
Westman: Yeah.
Schweitzer: And she works at a modeling agency?
Westman: Yes, and in her downtime she likes to dress like a Deep Purple roadie and get really hammered and chain smoke her sh*t.
Schweitzer Let me guess, she also has a lot of lady friends?
Westman: Of course.
Schweitzer: Did she say anything about it being hard to have relationships before?
A spark goes off in Westman's head.
Westman: Yeah, what does that have to do with-oh my god. . . . . you're not seriously saying-
Herschelwitz shows up.
Herschelwitz:-that's she's gay?  Oh my, who could've possibly guessed that!?
Schweitzer: I mean, that's the only possible explanation.  The other would be that she's just some horrible sadist who enjoys torturing grown men by living with them and being denial flirty.  However, she seems to nice for that.
Herschelwitz: Your gal is a lipstick space biker man.  I mean really, how many chicks do you know could smoke and drink that much?
O'Connor laughs.
O'Connor: Hell, maybe she's a man in a dress!
The whole table dies laughing.
Herschelwitz: Oh man, that's a good one Thad.  Really freakin' good one.
Schweitzer: Man in a dress, man in a dress (laughs).  Man, this cat is funny when he has a few drinks in him.
O'Connor: Mostly pre-gaming over here.  I like to be in a sociable mood once in awhile.  Mostly when I'm drunk though.
More laughter.
Westman: And they say I'm the funny one!
Schweitzer raises a drink.
Schweitzer: I'd like to toast my friend Scott Westman.  May he conquer the beautiful space vacuumer's heart he so desires.
The four men click glasses.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2013, 11:26:29 PM »

October 4th, 1987
McGelly's Bar
Denver, Colorado:

Westman takes a drink while looking at the rising star, the State Senator from White Fish Brian Schweitzer.
Schweitzer: Good brews here.
Westman chuckles.
Westman: You sound so surprised.
Schweitzer: With all the polluted air around this city, I thought it'd taste worse.
Westman: Like you friend, I already miss the fine brews of Helena and Missoula.  Hell, even Butte. . . . as run down as that place is.
Schweitzer: Good, I'll them you said it.
Westman: I'm as mick as the rest of them Brian, but the krauts in Helena are kicking their asses when it comes to bottled brews.
Schweitzer snorts.
Schweitzer: Unbelievable, you winning like you did several years back.  You know, everybody started believing that you was dead?
Westman: Wouldn't surprise me, after how I got shamed in the Senate.  Some asshole releasing conspiracy theories, insinuations, and that dumbfock over at the Ford Agency-
Schweitzer: Oh please Scott.  Your third party run was going to fail anyway.  Nobody just had the heart to tell ya.
Westman: No sh*t Sherlock?  I just at least wanted to make some impact-
Schweitzer: Taking second place in Montana, losing to D'Israeli by only five points?  My friend, you not only made some impact you were pretty much the defacto Democratic ticket in Wyoming, Montana, and Alaska!
Westman: Well me and Edward Clark.  Yep, those were the days.  It's just, how the hell did I survive after that one controversy?
Schweitzer: You survived by the fact that most people in this country have short attention spans and don't read the newspaper as often as they should.  Anyway, did you see the new Bond film?
Westman: Oh yes, Goldeneye?  I told you once, I told you twice, Timothy Dalton is the right actor for Bond.
Schweitzer: Meh I guess.  Still kind of miss Roger Moore.
Westman: Roger Moore?  Do you hear yourself man?  Roger Moore had to take his dentures out whenever he made out with the lead chick in "For Your Eyes Only"!  This last movie they released, it was a damn classic.  Seriously, this is like Godfather Part One good.  This is the way that Bond was meant to be portrayed.
Schweitzer: Just seemed a little too dark and that the Bond portrayed by Dalton had too many demons.
Westman: He's the most hardassed Bond ever.  I'd like to see somebody put that much thought and research into their performance as Timothy did.  Best decision they ever made was casting him for "The Living Daylights" in '85!  The man is the most underappreciated man in the film industry.
Schweitzer: Kind of like you in US Poltiics, right?
Westman: Freakin A.
The two click glasses and have a drink.
Westman: I got some real plans for you Paisan.  As you know David Mansfield holds the Senate Seat that Walters once held.  I thought about it, and damn it Brian. . . . . I can't risk you losing a primary election against the man.  Your resources will be better elsewhere.  This is no bad reflection on your abilities, just mere politcal fact.  We need to cozy up to Mansfield and his ilk, make them feel welcome.  We need a wide Democratic coalition, not one that is constantly at war with each other.
Which brings me to Part 2.
Russell is rough around the edges, granted.  However, he is the exact kind of person I envision helping me lead the state into the 1990's.  He has the will, he has the audacity, and he has the character.  Also, he is a guaranteed 20% more of the Native American vote next time around, and we need all the votes we can get.  However, I do not intend for you to remain solely in your position as lowly State Senator.  Honestly Brian, you are the only politician in the state I trust more than myself.  And more than that, I love you like you were my own flesh and blood.
Schweitzer pondered these words, wondering just how sincere Scott Westman was being.  Sure, Westman had watched him when he was a little tyke.  Sure, Westman was the teenage boy who taught him how to read, write, and how to ride a bike.  However, this was the same Scott Westman that ran against his own party in 1980.  This is the same Scott Westman who won't even contact his own wife to come up to support him in this upcoming trial.  A man who while loyal and caring and loving, was a victim too much of his own demons and temperament.  Brian didn't know how much he could trust such unpredictability.
He spoke up.
Schweitzer: What have I done to deserve such words?
Westman: You merely were.  You merely were there.  Were there on your front doorstep, in the cold, freezing.  And I took great pity on you.  I took you into my home, I warmed you up by the fire, and I taught you how to swear profusely.
Westman pauses, his voice shuddering with emotion.
Westman: You are my brother, Brian.
Schweitzer laughs at this.  Since when the hell is anyone your brother?  Especially since you had that girl of yours.  Her and that sister of yours Westman, they rule you.  They control you.  They dominate you.  They are the neck that moves your head.  Pity you don't know that.  And as long as you don't, nobody is your brother.  Nobody is family. . . . except for them.
Schweitzer: Scott, stop drinking.  You're getting sentimental.
Westman gives a tearful laugh.
Westman: I just wanted to have my family here for me you know?  Is that too much to ask for?
Schweitzer: Oh yes, me, Brea. . . . . and her.  Tell me, what the hell are you trying to prove bringing her here?  No way in hell are you keeping that quiet.
Westman is slient for a minute.  And then he turns authoritative.
Westman: That's none of your business Brian.  We're here for you, not me.  And your plans for the future.  You know what that future is?
Schweitzer: Oh let me guess, am I going to be your poster boy in the State Senate?
Westman chuckles.
Westman: Brian my boy, you underestimate yourself too much.  You are by no mean a legislator.  I meant that as a compliment.
Schweitzer: Yeah, you're probably the only person who would say that as a compliment.
Westman: The point is, Schweitzer, you are too big for this position of yours.  You are a Decider, not a mere underling.  Or a henchman.  You need a position more befitting of your strengths.  As I see it you are my number one guy when it comes to Administrative overhead and instituting various parts of the Green Montana agenda.  Therefore, I have determined the best possible place for you, in the offices of the State as arguably the most powerful position in this state: The Secretary of State.  You will run, and you will win.
Schweitzer just nods.
Schweitzer: Oh fun, I'm a running for a Secretary of State. . . . . . yeah that's a real career advancer that one!
Westman: Paisan, after your tenure. . . . it will indeed be a position of envy.  For you will be tasked with instituting some of the largest reforms of Green Montana.  As well as handle everything the Secretary does which is. . . . . well everything.  We need to get that Republican out. . . .  he's a pain in the ass to say the least.
Schweitzer nods, and out of curiousity he asked:
Schweitzer: So. . . . . .what about Attorney General?
Westman: McGarth, while he isn't hostile to our interests, has proven almost useless.  See for instance, why I'm here instead of in Helena right now.  An effective Attorney General would've seen to it that such a scenario, where the Governor can just be arrested in his office, are prevented and would've sued the hell out of the Federal Government.  He has, however, done nothing.  With that said, I intend to return to bipartisanship pretty soon on that front.
Schweitzer couldn't believe his ears.
Schweitzer: You got to be kidding me.  You tried working with D'Israeli and that was an absurd failure.
Westman: He is just one man.  And really Brian, you got to open your mind up.  In recent Montana history the Republicans have actually been surprisingly right on some issues.  Hell, it was Democratic supermajorities that prevented the passage of Schumacher's Hemp Legalization Act.  Republicans voted 70% in favor of it!  And need I remind you that I've often been called a "Ford Democrat"?
Schweitzer: Look, that's different.  Sam Ford was a different Republican than Richard Peters or Randy Coulter.
Westman: Obviously.  However, there is enough discontent in the ranks to allows us to use them as a wedge against themselves.
Schweitzer: You speak as if there was someone who was undeniably loyal to you in the Republican Caucus.
Westman grins.
Westman: Actually. . . . . there is.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2013, 02:32:35 PM »
« Edited: May 20, 2013, 02:41:18 PM by Communists For McCain »

Charles Andrew Watson:

Born on June 9th, 1945 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Charles Andrew Watson came from a long line of military men.  His father, Lawrence "Larry" Watson, Sr., is a distinguished Naval Officer who received numerous awards for bravery and courage during World War II who later went onto command combat fleets in both the Korean and Vietnam Conflicts.  Unlike many leaders in the Armed Services, Larry Watson Sr. was a devout Democrat who instilled the same sense of duty and servitude to the poor to his children.
But enough about Larry Sr.
Charles Watson was born in the last year of the Second World War.  His father (who was a fleet captain by then), who was overseas at the time, wasn't there to witness his birth.  He was the first and eldest child of the Watsons, who had tried for a decade and a half to have children.
Charles was a most gifted child, exhibiting intelligence and maturity beyond his years.  Many of his teachers would claim that he had reading levels that were higher than many college educated adults. . . . when he was twelve.  Math formulas and the like came naturally to him and he was almost always at the top of his class.  However, for all his logic and intelligence, Charlie Watson was first and foremost one thing: loyal.
Having his pick of a free ride to practically any college in the country, many were not so surprised when he chose to go to West Point.  In his time there, like his time in high school AFJROTC and drill training camp, he more than exceeded many of the expectations of his instructors and superior officers.  Many instructors were simply amazed by this young cadet who went the extra mile when others lagged behind or were derelict in duty.  Due to his exceptional training, intelligence, and top marks in the field his superiors at West Point offered him the shot of a lifetime by sending recommendations to every higher up in the Administration to send then Corporal Watson into the warzones of Persia.  Though this would've interfered with his West Point studies, putting graduation off for several years, Watson happily complied.
Once there he would make many friends from various platoons that were all gathered for a secret operation to attack the core of the communist guerrilla forces in the region.  He made particular close association with Sergeant Peter Grimes of Boise, Idaho, who was the son of a potato farmer, Private David Connelly, a disgruntled alcoholic from Westchester, Massachusetts who was drafted, and Thaddeus O'Connor, some wide eyed idealist kid from Bangor, Maine who really liked to write poems and other things.
Out of that group, only O'Connor survived the ambush in the Zagros.
It all happened one day during the Summer campaign in 1966 when the communist forces launched a coordinated ambush with improvised explosives, rocket launchers, and Soviet made rifles that wiped out the entire platoon.  Well, most everybody except the captain and O'Connor, who were taken prisoner and subject to horrendous abuses.
Most accounts of Watson's tenure in Persia is that he was a man of great bravery and courage.  He was credited with saving the lives of 16 fellow servicemen once when he spotted an enemy unit on the other side of a range planning an attack.  He was awarded a Medal of Valor for his actions.  He was also known for his kindness towards non-white service member, even being a part of a mostly black choir group back on base.  He also made strong arguments in favor of universal healthcare for non-military workers (it was nationalized for military families) on the basis that a nation where civilians have the same health benefits as those who fight for it would increase patriotism while saving millions from death.
His funeral was held at St. James Presbyterian Church in Pittsburgh.  His body interned in a graveyard in Allegheny county for Pennsylvania veterans and their families.  He was survived by his mother, Sarah Jane (nee Foster) Watson, his father Lawrence Watson, Sr., his younger sister Jessica Watson, and his youngest brother Larry Watson, Jr.
On July 7th, 1987 Larry Watson Jr's wife Laura (nee Finney) Watson gave birth to a healthy 9lbs boy.  He was named Charlie.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2013, 02:55:40 PM »

I'm kinda glad you picked July 7th... As it happens that's my uncle Brian's birthday and I was very close with him. (It just so happens Laura and I are naming our first son, if it's a boy, Brian). So it kinda works lol.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies