Will Drudge finally release the Whitey Tape tonight?!?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:17:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Will Drudge finally release the Whitey Tape tonight?!?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Author Topic: Will Drudge finally release the Whitey Tape tonight?!?  (Read 9025 times)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: October 02, 2012, 06:12:09 PM »

Just watched the video.  Only a racist would think it's controversial.

Exactly why Hannity is showing it.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #101 on: October 02, 2012, 06:12:40 PM »

I literally don't even understand how this could be considered controversial.

That's because you're not desperate and irrational.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #102 on: October 02, 2012, 06:13:06 PM »

Oh man this is brutal. Forget talking about if Obama can win the election now, do you think he'll even finish his term or will he be forced to resign?
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #103 on: October 02, 2012, 06:13:54 PM »

Are there any white voters left who can be scared that the Black president's sole mission is to take their money and hand it out to his minority worshipers? Haven't they mined this vein already with all the other outrages and videos and commercials about welfare, etc?
TrapperHawk
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -4.35

« Reply #104 on: October 02, 2012, 06:15:37 PM »

Another quote from the transcript.

"This journey teaches us that they are going to keep driving that wedge; they are going to keep the distraction going."

As Alanis Morissette would say, "Isn't it ironic..."
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #105 on: October 02, 2012, 06:15:38 PM »

Surely that can't be the video. Is this the one Andrew Breibart spoke so much about before he died? It's sort of like an urban legend now because people talk about it and then it ends up not showing up or being a disappointment.

The content so far doesn't seem too controversial except to show Obama is politically expedient, which anyone with a brain knew already. And that he's shameless in doing so. It also makes you wonder just who he is, but I've been curious abou that for some time now, dedicated myself to reading about him and now I have more of an idea.

But I doubt this changes things unless there is another video or a different part to it we haven't seen yet. But I feel like I said that before in 2008 and it amounted to nothing.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #106 on: October 02, 2012, 06:21:46 PM »

Obama is not the first politician to take on an accent while speaking, it's part of politics. In his case, it probably was just him slipping into urban vernacular because of the environment he was in, black people do that sometimes. I've done it before, it's just a natural change in tone that occurs sometimes.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #107 on: October 02, 2012, 06:24:22 PM »

That's true. I'm merely stating that IF anything is controversial about this video it's that, and his embracing of Rev. Wright. But I already knew he loved the guy and just denounced him to win the election, so it is no revelation to me. Tongue
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #108 on: October 02, 2012, 06:24:55 PM »

The video pre-dates 2008, so it is before Obama disowned Wright.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #109 on: October 02, 2012, 06:25:39 PM »

Is this video an example of Obama having a Negro accent when he wants to have one?
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #110 on: October 02, 2012, 06:25:39 PM »

I'm confused, what is the problem with the accent? Is the argument that the 'real' Obama is an Ebonics speaking angry black man and he needs a teleprompter in order to seem like the nice articulate guy? Or is the outrage that is he putting on a persona when speaking to black audiences in order to dupe the blacks into voting for him?

Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #111 on: October 02, 2012, 06:26:12 PM »

The GOP blogosphere is clearly trying to remind people that there is an election going on. Expect more of this until November when the self-pity fest will begin.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #112 on: October 02, 2012, 06:28:03 PM »

I'm confused, what is the problem with the accent? Is the argument that the 'real' Obama is an Ebonics speaking angry black man and he needs a teleprompter in order to seem like the nice articulate guy? Or is the outrage that is he putting on a persona when speaking to black audiences in order to dupe the blacks into voting for him?

Your question is too logic for this thread.
nhmagic
azmagic
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.62, S: 4.61

« Reply #113 on: October 02, 2012, 06:28:24 PM »

Obama is not the first politician to take on an accent while speaking, it's part of politics. In his case, it probably was just him slipping into urban vernacular because of the environment he was in, black people do that sometimes. I've done it before, it's just a natural change in tone that occurs sometimes.
Of course its part of politics, but his image, part of what allowed him to win in 2008, was to not be a typical politician, not to play those games.  Also, it's one thing to be in a bar with a group of friends 2 feet away from you, and another thing to deliver a prepared speech.  You can tell that he is trying hard to fake the accent with the way he strains - its the same look someone makes when trying to fake a British or Australian accent without the proper training.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #114 on: October 02, 2012, 06:31:03 PM »

What very minor effect this tape will have will be making the right wing noise machine look pathetic. As Omar Little said "You Come At the King,You Best Not Miss".  They came at the King and missed by a mile.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #115 on: October 02, 2012, 06:31:39 PM »

lol... a fake accent?

I've spoken to the man at a private function IN 2006... and his voice was no different than it is in interviews today.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #116 on: October 02, 2012, 06:43:01 PM »

Subtly changing your dialect/accent to match who you're talking to (whether it's in a speech or to just a random person) is a natural thing that all people do. There's nothing political about it. I'm sure someone on this forum who knows more about sociolinguistics can fill us in.
ajb
United States

« Reply #117 on: October 02, 2012, 06:45:49 PM »

Subtly changing your dialect/accent to match who you're talking to (whether it's in a speech or to just a random person) is a natural thing that all people do. There's nothing political about it. I'm sure someone on this forum who knows more about sociolinguistics can fill us in.
Like both George Bushes pretending to sound Texan.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #118 on: October 02, 2012, 06:45:50 PM »

Well, let's look at the bright side. With all this commotion everybody forgot the Obama Phone scandal.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #119 on: October 02, 2012, 06:48:50 PM »

It's actually often an unconscious thing that people do.

Apparently when I'm more 'trashy' parts, my accent is a little-less polished. I certainly don't deliberately do it, lol.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #120 on: October 02, 2012, 06:50:21 PM »

Oh my god guys. I just realized I have an Obama bumper sticker on my car! Do you think I'll be able to drive around town tomorrow without getting my windshield smashed in by roaming bands of middle aged white men?

The coming race war is nigh.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #121 on: October 02, 2012, 06:53:46 PM »

It's actually often an unconscious thing that people do.

Apparently when I'm more 'trashy' parts, my accent is a little-less polished. I certainly don't deliberately do it, lol.

Right, exactly. Over the summer I was on a bus, and I was talking to the black bus driver, and I distinctly remember dropping the g's in my speech, without doing so on purpose. Reflecting the dialect/accent of your audience in your own speech is just a natural and unconscious thing that most people do. There's nothing sinister or political about Obama doing it here.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #122 on: October 02, 2012, 06:55:59 PM »

A lot of working class people here over a certain age have a 'phone voice'.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #123 on: October 02, 2012, 06:57:47 PM »

Oh my god guys. I just realized I have an Obama bumper sticker on my car! Do you think I'll be able to drive around town tomorrow without getting my windshield smashed in by roaming bands of middle aged white men?

I'm a middle aged white guy with an Obama car magnet, do I have to smash my own window?
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #124 on: October 02, 2012, 07:09:07 PM »

I'm a middle aged white guy with an Obama car magnet, do I have to smash my own window?

I'm afraid you do. In order to prove your loyalty.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies