SENATE BILL: Election Do-Over Act (Vetoed, Not Overriden)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:25:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Election Do-Over Act (Vetoed, Not Overriden)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Election Do-Over Act (Vetoed, Not Overriden)  (Read 2011 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 03, 2012, 01:34:41 AM »
« edited: October 22, 2012, 12:24:03 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: HagridoftheDeep
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 01:36:51 AM »

Running out of none Marokai bills, which will leave the Clogging provision dormant. So we may see a situation where all of the bills on the floor or close to is his crap. Tongue

Hagrid, you have 24 hours to explain this.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 01:38:01 AM »

I have some to say on this bill but will yield until Senator Hagrid has an opportunity to advocate on its behalf and make clear his intent.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 01:38:08 AM »

I'm prone to support this bill, but I would like the President to explain why he feels this is unconstitutional.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 01:41:43 AM »

I'm prone to support this bill, but I would like the President to explain why he feels this is unconstitutional.

I already did. Tongue

If you didn't catch it, I can explain it after we hear from Senator Hagrid. Wink
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 02:45:54 AM »

Even leaving aside the potential unconstitutionality here, I think there are more elegant solutions to the problem this is trying to solve.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 01:30:35 AM »

Uh-oh, Hagrid got about 5 mintues or its the principals office for this. Evil
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 04:44:51 PM »

I am so sorry for my little absence here. I'm usually able to post so often because I keep putting off my actual school work... obviously that strategy blows up when the work is due. Tongue

Basically, I'm completely aware that, as it stands, this bill probably wouldn't hold up under a constitutional challenge. However, I'm inclined to believe that we really need a way to make sure mistakes like the one our SoFE made can actually be fixed. This bill proposes one suggestion, but I'm very open to hearing others.

I know the president issued an executive order that would, in theory, prevent situations like this from happening again... but I don't believe it will be totally effective. Maybe he will enforce it under his administration, but there's no way to be sure that other presidents will. Punishment for violating an executive order is at the discretion of the president, and the most that can happen is getting fired. So if the SoFE refused to post an early ballot and made a mistake with the final version in the Voting Booth, there still wouldn't be a way to fix the problem.

That's why I think we need a reactionary response, not a preventative action. And if we do use a preventative action, I want it to be codified in law, not an executive order.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 11:16:29 PM »

Obligatory Motion to Table, to illustrate this means business. Since the perpetrator responded so soon after the violation became effective, no seconds will be necessary. Tongue

Even leaving aside the potential unconstitutionality here, I think there are more elegant solutions to the problem this is trying to solve.

Mind sharing?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 12:15:04 AM »

Why is no one talking here?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 01:34:28 PM »

I didn't really get what you meant by the obligatory motion to table... Sorry, but I'm still not familiar with all these procedures.

Also, I'm waiting on some of Marokia's suggestions.

If I were to change this to an amendment, could it be done in the same thread? Also, can the title be amended, or would that imply scrapping the legislation altogether and starting from scratch (only because whatever changes we make might not even involve an election do-over)?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 03:38:32 PM »

Obligatory Motion to Table, to illustrate this means business. Since the perpetrator responded so soon after the violation became effective, no seconds will be necessary. Tongue

Mind sharing?

By "elegant" solution, I mean a non-Senate related one. I think Napoleon's executive order mandating a ballot be made 24 hours+ before the election is opened will help prevent ballot mistakes, I don't think mandating election restarts is something we should get into the habit of doing, a lot of voters find it annoying enough voting once. Tongue
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 10:36:06 PM »

So is Napoleon's executive action enough to ensure the ballot is put up 24 hours before the vote all the time or should we pass a law just to be safe? This particular bill is not necessary.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2012, 02:19:34 AM »

I didn't really get what you meant by the obligatory motion to table... Sorry, but I'm still not familiar with all these procedures.

Also, I'm waiting on some of Marokia's suggestions.

If I were to change this to an amendment, could it be done in the same thread? Also, can the title be amended, or would that imply scrapping the legislation altogether and starting from scratch (only because whatever changes we make might not even involve an election do-over)?

At the start of each bill, I give 24 hours for the sponsor to speak about the bill in substance ( popping in and talking some nonsense won't suffice). When that gets blown past, I motion to table. It is baked into the pie. Whether or not someone else seconds is dependent on how fast sponsor gets his sh**t together. Since yours was just a few hours later, I requested that no one second it. Of course, someone still could as a dillatory tactic, but I have a solution for that too, if we ever come to that.

Remember, Marokai amended his Kill the SoIA bill into an Amendment to the Constitution. Yes titles can be amended.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 01:29:35 AM »

Well what is the story here? Is it going to be amended, or is this done?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2012, 11:18:18 AM »

No answer will cause me to motion to table when I get on tonight.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2012, 05:13:33 PM »

The president never explained why he thought it was unconstitutional. My reading of the constitution leads me to believe that the senate does have the power to allow for do-overs:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

While earlier sections of the constitution do stipulate the date and time of elections, the constitution itself seems to negate those specifics in the above section. If "the exact time at which a given election or vote shall begin may be determined by the voting booth administrator subject to such restrictions as may be imposed by law," it seems to me that this bill would be a suitable restriction. I'd be interested in hearing the president's thoughts.

Sbane, I don't believe the executive order does enough: It is not legally binding. If homely didn't post the ballot ahead of time, the president could choose to fire homely over it or the president could do nothing at all. Napoleon would certainly take action, but a future president who's unfamiliar with his executive order might not, and then there'd still be no way of fixing the election error.

Do people not see the need for this bill?

Also, do y'all believe this really needs to become an amendment?

I kind of want to hear everyone out before I "amend it to an amendment," because the legislation will be significantly more difficult to pass in that state.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2012, 12:48:22 AM »

Hagrid, we can't stay here forever. What is it going to be?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2012, 01:56:59 PM »

Well, no one is saying anything. And at this rate, I doubt we'd even get seven people in here to vote, let alone vote "aye." So making it an amendment seems futile.

When is the soonest this bill could be brought to a final vote in its current form? I still want something like this to pass, and if the Court finds it unconstitutional, so be it. It'll give them something to do. Or the bill just might not pass to begin with. Either way, I'd like to give it a chance.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2012, 12:03:43 AM »

Just ask for it, I doubt someone will talk about the contents of this bill prior to me seeing your request, considering how little people have been concerned with it.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2012, 12:28:24 AM »

All right then. Consider it asked for.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2012, 12:35:57 AM »

Senators, this bill is now at final vote, please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2012, 03:39:48 AM »
« Edited: October 13, 2012, 03:43:20 AM by Senator Franzl »

Abstain
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2012, 07:17:37 AM »