Romney enters the debate "equipped with a bunch of zingers"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 05:49:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney enters the debate "equipped with a bunch of zingers"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Romney enters the debate "equipped with a bunch of zingers"  (Read 1404 times)
Mister Twister

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 03, 2012, 06:36:56 AM »

Will Barack Obama be able to withstand the barrage of zingers that Mitt Romney plans to unleash on him?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/oct/01/mitt-romney-zingers-rehearsedelection-2012
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 06:44:45 AM »

Obama will crumble under Mitt's legendary wit and flawless comic timing, but what man wouldn't?
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 06:58:07 AM »
« Edited: October 03, 2012, 07:14:25 AM by Politico »

The amount of thought and planning that has gone into this is unprecedented. I am supremely confident we will lay a "check" upon Obama tonight.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 06:59:47 AM »

The amount of thought and planning that has gone into this is unprecedented.

Which shows how scared they are...
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 07:15:58 AM »
« Edited: October 03, 2012, 07:18:37 AM by Politico »

To use a chess analogy, I am supremely confident we will lay a "check" upon Obama tonight, and only now will the Obama campaign start to realize what has been happening (i.e., we sacrificed a few pieces, something every chess master has to do to eventually win, but it was necessary in order to corner Team Obama with a "checkmate" in late October/early November; congratulations on "winning" September!).
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 07:20:25 AM »

The amount of thought and planning that has gone into this is unprecedented. I am supremely confident we will lay a "check" upon Obama tonight.
You are very poor at managing expectations. You risk losing your job as the Romney spokesperson on this forum. ;-)
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 07:34:42 AM »

Stop being a leftist hack, Politico. Romney has been ahead this entire campaign.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 07:41:52 AM »

Does anyone remember the episode of Community where Pierce is invited to watch a movie with Abed, Troy, Shirley and Seņor Chang, but he's not as funny as they are. So he gets the sketch club to write him some good jokes for the next movie they watch, and he says them all at once, really quickly and robotically? That's how I think Mitt will be tonight.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 08:20:31 AM »

You are very poor at managing expectations. You risk losing your job as the Romney spokesperson on this forum. ;-)

To be fair, I concede that Obama has to cement the image of Romney as a monster like his ads have portrayed. If Obama fails to do so, he's finished because almost nobody wants four more years of the last four years. Obama either manages to convince everybody that Romney is a monster, or Obama is in a world of trouble tomorrow morning.
ajb
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 08:28:55 AM »

The strategy Politico sketches for Romney, of cleverly winning in November by strategically losing in January-September, reminds me of Giuliani's equally clever strategy of winning the Republican nomination in 2008 by losing badly in the first four primaries.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 08:38:34 AM »

The strategy Politico sketches for Romney, of cleverly winning in November by strategically losing in January-September, reminds me of Giuliani's equally clever strategy of winning the Republican nomination in 2008 by losing badly in the first four primaries.

It is more akin to Clinton's clever strategy of avoiding Iowa in order to triumph with a "comeback" second place finish in New Hampshire that leads to more wins down the road, and ultimately the nomination.
LiberalJunkie
LiberalJunkie99
Canada

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 08:40:50 AM »

Oh i can't wait for these "zingers" (gaffes) from romney tonight.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 08:42:40 AM »

This could very well play out like the RNC/DNC, with Romney throwing out a lot of generalizations and then Obama coming in with the facts.
ajb
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 08:42:40 AM »

It is more akin to Clinton's clever strategy of avoiding Iowa in order to triumph with a "comeback" second place finish in New Hampshire that leads to more wins down the road, and ultimately the nomination.
Worked really well for the next Clinton to try it, right?
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 09:29:14 AM »

Worked really well for the next Clinton to try it, right?

Clinton tried in Iowa. She lost because Edwards beat her at retail politicking, and Obama had a better turnout operation due to his Chicago boys.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 09:30:51 AM »

Where are the "initiate_zinger.exe" references?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2012, 09:34:17 AM »

So the debate is going to be like an even more awful 'Tonight Show'?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2012, 10:46:40 AM »

It's probably to Romney's good that he's scripted his zingers in advance unless his infamous $10,000 bet was a scripted zinger instead of the botched attempt at humor most people think it was.  However, Romney's displayed sense of comedic timing leaves me doubtful he can deploy them appropriately.  He also can't use too many zingers or people will think he's running for Comedian-in-Chief instead of Commander-in-Chief.
Earthling
Netherlands

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2012, 11:07:06 AM »

Talking about your zingers before the debate is not wise. Now, people will be watching for them and may be disappointed when and how they are used (if they are even used at all).

Romney should stay serious. A joke is always welcome, but trying to be funny too much and it will backfire for sure.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2012, 11:14:55 AM »
« Edited: October 03, 2012, 11:22:23 AM by Nathan »

The problem with this is that zingers, in order to be effective, have to be used with an ear for context and timing. Not only is there no indication that Romney has any sense of the latter, the former seems to be pretty alien to him as well. If he does this once or twice he could get some positive spin out of it and do better in the polls. If he does it a bunch of times he doesn't create a better image for himself, just a slightly different bad one.

Anyway, my official debate prediction is 'a hot mess', and I'll stand by that.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2012, 12:49:34 PM »

Obama will crumble under Mitt's legendary wit and flawless comic timing, but what man wouldn't?

ZING

ZING

Oh i can't wait for these "zingers" (gaffes) from romney tonight.

ZING

ZING

So the debate is going to be like an even more awful 'Tonight Show'?

ZING
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2012, 12:58:29 PM »

Please, Romney has no idea how to check someone that doesn't involve firing them.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2012, 01:44:11 PM »

I think one of the problem with Team Romney's notion of zingers is that they still act like they are in the bubble of the GOP primary. It appears the "we built that" thing they thought was a huge winner is a fizzle. Same is true with the gotcha "redistrubiton" tape they floated. Whenever they think they really nailed Obama it was only something that works with fellow conservatives.  So while FOX, Limbaugh, etc might cheer some of these zingers, the rest of the country (including the swing voters) may just go "meh" or even WTF?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2012, 01:46:38 PM »

Lehrer: Governor Romney, how do you respond?

Romney:
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2012, 01:51:16 PM »

Zingers work for the charming types such as Clinton and Reagan. I could see Romney using one at an awkward moment and everyone cringing.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies