Poirot for Senate(s)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 04:54:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Poirot for Senate(s)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 28
Poll
Question: Should Poirot avoid running for office
Yes
No
Don't care
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Poirot for Senate(s)  (Read 54380 times)
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: August 18, 2014, 05:48:35 PM »

It looks like my negative numbers have gone up, in the Northeast the most so I go back in that region. The morale in the campaign is low but we have to continue. I will be showing up at the Little League World series in Williamsport Pennsylvania.

Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #276 on: August 19, 2014, 12:54:56 PM »

I'm in Beaverton, Oregon in the Pacific region. I'm at a company making cardboard boxes.

Why am I surrounded by little boxes? to talk of moving. To suggest moving the Senate and Protest analysis thread to the Elections Fantasy Board. There are probably less people visiting the government boad (a supposition. Being on the Elections board would give the Senate protest thread better visibility. Maybe more people would follow what is going on there. The Senate bills threads would not be for citizens intervention. they could be allowed to post a notice of making an intervention in the Senate protest thread (or another specific thread if they foresee a long debate between people) with a link if they want. The risk is less people would venture on the government board and not follow regional goverments either. 

Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #277 on: August 19, 2014, 07:46:01 PM »

Tonight I am still in the Pacific region but I have moved to Palo Alto, California.

Equity crowdfunding is a new way to raise capital for projects or small businesses. While it has some advantages like cutting middleman by doing it directly on the internet and help start ups, we need to protect small non-professional investors. It would be risky to invest all your savings into a small venture. Ordinary people would be limited to invest a maximum of $2,500 (per project or business) to limit the loss risk because they are risky ventures. Also to reduce the risk of fraud, those seeking funds will be required to use a portal registered with the securities regulator.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #278 on: August 20, 2014, 04:29:33 PM »

You must vacate the region within 24 hours or you will be detained on executive order.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #279 on: August 20, 2014, 04:33:16 PM »

on what grounds Pacific Governor?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #280 on: August 20, 2014, 04:49:19 PM »

Pony-ism, so on health grounds.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #281 on: August 20, 2014, 06:07:11 PM »

My camapign was leaving the Pacific region anyway. I won't spend any more money in the region.
I didn't know using the pony would cause negative reaction like this, weird considering Atlasia is very tolerant for almost anything. The campaign stop was in the Midwest and not the Pacific.

If this is about using the pony image in a campaign event, this is how it came about and justification. It has the word little in it. It was in the Midwest where I think some are appreciative of pony. I was in Amity state. I found pony uses the phrase friendship is magic. I made the event at a ranch. The Midwest has a regional assembly that seems to work fine even with different parties.

The image also bring vivid colors. As for the substance of the pony event, I tried to have over romantic view as much as I could in saying it but the main message is I understand there is to be some rivalry but sometimes I find some things go too far. I don't want things to become big conflicts, or have hurtful personal insults. Where is the fun in being in a very negative atmosphere? What is the point in hurting people? That could leave to more people leaving and less active people. Or maybe I'm too sensitive or people involved in conflicts don't take it seriously.

Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #282 on: August 20, 2014, 09:52:16 PM »

After leaving the Pacific I flew to Houston in Texas (IDS). I had a fundraiser event. The little couple were guest speakers. 

We also had a discussion. What I got out of this is that when you face obstacles there are ways to go over them. Others will judge you but you don't have to let them stop you, you need to carry on. Everyone has a right to big dreams, set your sights on what you desire. Everyone in life is not dealt the same cards but it's how you play them that makes you a winner.

Thank you to the little couple for addressing the little people campaign.   
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #283 on: August 20, 2014, 10:07:35 PM »

The election is fast approaching. I am proud to have a new program: make a pledge get a call.

It is a reminder to cast your vote. If you are a decided voter for Poirot and are afraid you might miss the vote this weekend because you will be busy, don't visit the site every day or whatever reason, you can send me a message. After at least half the election time has passed (so Saturday afternoon or evening) I will go through the list of votes and if I don't see you have voted I will contact you to remind you to vote. If you need transportation, I will get you to the voting booth. All information given will be kept very confidential.

This is another way for the Poirot campaign to take care of its voters.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #284 on: August 21, 2014, 07:43:12 PM »

We are a few hours away from the vote. I encourage people to go vote this weekend.

Of course I hope you vote Poirot for the little people. Like the superhero on my campaign sign I am ready to come flying to the rescue of little people. I am proposing little measures to protect them. Protection from railway accidents. Protection of service for those without knowledge or access to new technologies. Protection for little investors.

I want to bring these topics of legislation because I hope the Senate could reach broad agreement on these bills and not create division.

My campaign will have an elections night soirée and I've been told there will be Little Richard songs played.

Let me use my little grey cells for the benefit of all. Vote Poirot for the little people.

Thank you kindly.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #285 on: August 23, 2014, 11:19:53 AM »

At the half way of voting period. I think I have one 1st prefernece and one 2nd. I need more top preferences. All those giving me a top 3 preference get a signed thank you note. A memorabilia that could increase in value over time.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #286 on: August 26, 2014, 10:12:14 PM »

I will have to do a post-election analysis to find out what went wrong. My little campaign didn't succeed. Perhaps voters didn't identify with little people, they prefer to think of themselves as big. It is common for humans to overstate their importance. Perhaps voters like big policies and not my little focused proposals. One thing my little campaign did is received little votes.

I want to congratulate all the winners. You ran strong campaigns. To those who did not win, I'm sorry. There is always next time. It was fun being part of an election with so many candidates.

I wish good luck to all officeholders and people in power. Try to act and make decisions for the good of Atlasia. Try to avois big personal conflict. Try to make the game fun and enjoyable for everyone. If people don't enjoy their experience, they could become inactive or leave and the country will be worse. 
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #287 on: September 29, 2014, 03:57:03 PM »

I'm making a semi-announcement from Belle Fourche, Vitality in the Midwest region. The geographic center of Atlasia is near here.

My announcement is semi and not formal because I don't have all it takes to make one yet. I would like to form a presidential ticket for the October 2014 election. A ticket needs two people and I don't have that yet. I will propose a ticket philosophy, start the campaign and hopefully someone in the next two weeks will accept to be on the ticket.

The theme of this presidential campaign is Hands Off. The sub-theme is satisfaction.

Hands off refers to the President's style of management. This campaign is not about proposing many policies to implement. The President will not intervene much on the legislative function. The Senate will do its thing, the regions will do their thing. The goal is to have players more satisfied and feel like they can make a difference.     

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #288 on: September 29, 2014, 05:17:45 PM »

Welcome to the race, Poirot!
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #289 on: September 29, 2014, 05:27:22 PM »

Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #290 on: September 29, 2014, 05:30:59 PM »

This would certainly be different from my presidency. I'm sure I was too involved during many legislative sessions. Tongue
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #291 on: September 29, 2014, 05:37:31 PM »

Thank you both for the welcome.

I'm not officially a candidate yet. A ticket needs two people. And about the ticket, I wanted to leave positions open in case someone is interested in Presidential candidate but it's probably easier to find someone who accepts to put his name for vice-president candidate, so even if the ticket is not formed I will act like I am the presidential candidate looking for a VP.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #292 on: September 30, 2014, 09:55:57 PM »

Today I have met supporters at campaign activities. I can't talk about it right now. I can't disclosed the location. I will tell when I'm back, maybe tomorrow.   
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #293 on: October 01, 2014, 06:57:52 PM »

Now it is safe for me to report on my events. Last month while I was campaining in the Pacific region I was ordered to leave. It was important for me to visit the Pacific like every other region but I didn't want to risk detention so I had to keep my travel schedule secret.

Near the Los Angeles airport I met a few chosen supporters. I told them that in the current atmosphere, now more than ever, Atlasia would need more pony.

Then I flew to Oceania. I met local officials who discussed the importance of tourism for their state economy and their concerns with direct air routes to mainland Atlasia cities and the high cost of fuel for airplanes.   

Before leaving many people performed the song Hands Up with the choreography.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqUWc0aeVF0

Hands up, baby, hands up,
Gimme your heart, gimme, gimme your heart
Gimme gimme

It filled me with joy and happiness. Alas I had to return to mainland Atlasia where the atmosphere is less joyful. I didn't want to tell them that my theme is Hands Off and not Hands Up because it was so great. Maybe there was a miscommunication or people of Oceania speak a dialect. My trip was worth the risk of being in the Pacific.   
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #294 on: October 01, 2014, 07:11:23 PM »

You are an outlaw in direct contravention to executive order and will be re-detained and appropriately charged upon re-entry into the Pacific Region.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #295 on: October 02, 2014, 06:56:14 PM »

Now that I don't need to campaign underground, I visit Cincinnati Ohio in the Mideast to talk about Hands off approach with the Senate and the regions.

In regards to legislation, ideally during a Hands off mandate the President will not introduce legislation in the Senate for domestic affairs. The Senate will have more autonomy. It is composed of people from various parties and opinions and these people will have the responsibility to get a majority to agree. They will be more careful of the bills they write since there will not be sending a bill back and forth between the Senate and President. That doesn't mean the President is absent or doesn't care. If he wants to intervene about legislation, make a suggestion, express concerns or speak in opposition, he will do so in the bill discussion thread or the Senate protest thread like every other citizens can do.

Bills that get a majority in the Senate will get signed. So more autonomy and responsability for Senate in crafting bills. That will remove a reason for conflict with the President and everyone will be happier and more satisfied. I said ideally the President will not introduce legislation. Sometimes unexpected things happen and I could be forced to do it. There could be an emergency or crisis or if there is no bills in the queue left I could introduce one inspired by topics I discussed in my Senate campaigns.

The Hands Off approach with the regions is a respect for the regions. Autonomy in regions will make the regional assemblies feel empowered. It will be more interesting to craft regional bills. Regional politics will matter more. Each region can have its distinct flavor. I will not let the federal government override a regional bill just because some people don't like it and want to strip a region of its decision. If a citizen feel a regional bill is against the law he can ask the appropriate court to rule on it but I don't want the federal level to follow the regions and outlaw what they have done if it's legal just because other people or regions don't agree with something.   

Hands off the senate and regions to give more autonomy to the Senate and regions.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #296 on: October 02, 2014, 07:23:24 PM »

What if a majority in the Senate votes to take autonomy from the regions?  Would you sign such a bill?
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #297 on: October 02, 2014, 08:41:22 PM »

Now that I don't need to campaign underground, I visit Cincinnati Ohio in the Mideast to talk about Hands off approach with the Senate and the regions.

In regards to legislation, ideally during a Hands off mandate the President will not introduce legislation in the Senate for domestic affairs. The Senate will have more autonomy. It is composed of people from various parties and opinions and these people will have the responsibility to get a majority to agree. They will be more careful of the bills they write since there will not be sending a bill back and forth between the Senate and President. That doesn't mean the President is absent or doesn't care. If he wants to intervene about legislation, make a suggestion, express concerns or speak in opposition, he will do so in the bill discussion thread or the Senate protest thread like every other citizens can do.

Bills that get a majority in the Senate will get signed. So more autonomy and responsability for Senate in crafting bills. That will remove a reason for conflict with the President and everyone will be happier and more satisfied. I said ideally the President will not introduce legislation. Sometimes unexpected things happen and I could be forced to do it. There could be an emergency or crisis or if there is no bills in the queue left I could introduce one inspired by topics I discussed in my Senate campaigns.

The Hands Off approach with the regions is a respect for the regions. Autonomy in regions will make the regional assemblies feel empowered. It will be more interesting to craft regional bills. Regional politics will matter more. Each region can have its distinct flavor. I will not let the federal government override a regional bill just because some people don't like it and want to strip a region of its decision. If a citizen feel a regional bill is against the law he can ask the appropriate court to rule on it but I don't want the federal level to follow the regions and outlaw what they have done if it's legal just because other people or regions don't agree with something.   

Hands off the senate and regions to give more autonomy to the Senate and regions.

So, let me get this straight...you will sign any bill that the senate sends you, veto nothing, and play no part in the legislative process whatsoever.  Is that right?
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #298 on: October 02, 2014, 09:20:24 PM »

What if a majority in the Senate votes to take autonomy from the regions?  Would you sign such a bill?

I wouldn't sign a bill usurping autonomy of regions because autonomy of regions is an explicit part of my campaign promises. I said ideally I wouldn't intervene in Senate legislating but I know I could have to in special circumstances. Taking away autonomy from regions would be one, also if the Senators passing a very crazy bill just because they think I would not veto anything and test me, or some emergency situations or crisis.

I want a general Hands Off policy philosophy but I'm not tying my hands behind my back either.     
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #299 on: October 02, 2014, 10:06:40 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Thank you for the question. It shows me that I was not very clear.

I should have mentioned the veto also at the beginning when I said ideally the President will not introduce legislation on domestic policy. Ideally the President would not veto reasonable legislation that was passed by a majority of Senators.

The word is ideally. I am not pledging to never use a veto. If the Senate starts to act crazy like decide to nuke a country I would veto it. Taking away region's autonomy would be vetoed. So no I would not sign any bill sent.

I hope I don't have to intervene in the legislative process as President (besides signing bills) formally. I can still give my opinion and input on bills when they are discussed in the appropriate thread or in the Senate protest thread like citizens do.

I want to empower the Senators with their legislative work. I am not going to rewrite bills so they better do thoughtful work when they debate bills and amend them. The Senators will have the responsibility to write good bills. The Senate has usually enough bills waiting that they will be able to concentrate on them and I would probably not add to their work load.

We have a diverse Senate and if they pass a bill after serious work I will sign it unless there is a special circumstance.

I want the Senate body to be satisfied with its work. I don't want them to be unhappy because I would veto everything I don't personally like. I don't want to be in conflict with the Senate. Senators can have conflicts between themselves if they want but I will not be a source of conflict. The legislative spotlight will be on Senators and voters will have to be more attentive at Senate elections.

I'm not claiming the Hands Off approach is what must be done in Atlasia for every President or forever. It's my proposal for this presidential campaign only. I don't mind a less prominent role to give more autonomy to the Senate. At the same time they won't be able to fight with me about legislation so I hope to boost their work satisfaction and improve the atmosphere.     

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 28  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies