Poirot for Senate(s)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:38:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Poirot for Senate(s)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 28
Poll
Question: Should Poirot avoid running for office
Yes
No
Don't care
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Poirot for Senate(s)  (Read 54346 times)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: April 16, 2015, 04:48:30 PM »

Poirot left Belgium for England during the first world war (he later moved to Atlasia).

Mr. Poirot, do you expect to live through your term if elected, seeing as you are over 100 years old?
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #451 on: April 16, 2015, 04:56:08 PM »
« Edited: April 16, 2015, 04:59:37 PM by Pacific Speaker Türkisblau »

Poirot left Belgium for England during the first world war (he later moved to Atlasia).

Mr. Poirot, do you expect to live through your term if elected, seeing as you are over 100 years old?

I believe Yankee has reached or is surpassing Strom Thurmond levels as well.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #452 on: April 16, 2015, 10:21:05 PM »

I have good genetics. An amateur genealogist has told me I am related to Yoda. I have also used cryonics during the course of my life to stay refreshed.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #453 on: April 16, 2015, 10:22:57 PM »

I have good genetics. An amateur genealogist has told me I am related to Yoda. I have also used cryonics during the course of my life to stay refreshed.

Disturbing deeply.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #454 on: April 16, 2015, 10:29:32 PM »
« Edited: April 16, 2015, 10:37:50 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

I believe Yankee has reached or is surpassing Strom Thurmond levels as well.

bgwah has held office almsot continously since 2006. Pacific Governor 2006 - Oct 2008,  Preisdent Oct 2008- June 2009, Attorney General June 2009- Feb 2010. Senator Feb 2010-Feb 2012 and Supreme Court Justice 2012-2013, Chief Justice 2013- The only break was in early 2012.

The only difference besides him being here since 2004 (I came in Dec 2008) and having held office since 2006 (compared to 2009 for me), is he had much more variety in his record.

And Oakvale has been here about as long as I have minus I think ten months. Polnut, Bacon King, Lief, Duke, PiT, Al, Xahar, Fritz, Griffin, Earl and many others were all here before I was.

So lay off the selective age standard, Young Turks. Tongue We get it, you don't like anyone over 35. Never pegged you for much of a hippy but whatever.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #455 on: April 19, 2015, 11:37:12 PM »

Hello

As the day progressed it became more obvious that the numbers were simply not there and voters were not going to select me for the Senate. I congratulate the other candidates for their victories. When the number of candidates dropped to six I thought there could be an opening for me. I think even if I was last in first preferences the surplus from candidates over quota would be distributed and I could move ahead of someone if I got high preferences on their ballots. I was hoping there was animosity between political parties and I would benefit of that. The dream scenario didn't materialize.

I proposed some things I had in the past but in this campaign I also tried to propose original ideas to be more bold. The Games idea has not given me the gold medal. My goal was to bring more fun and games. It might have given me the most Senate candidacies or the most Senate losses so perhaps my name will still be on the record book but not for the good reasons. I have campaigned only in cities that hosted the Olympics in Atlasia or Canada, or in cities that share the name of world Olympic cities. It was a great tour.

I spent many days in the Pacific even if my security was at risk because it is important to meet the voters and I have little support in the Pacific and I tried to improve the situation. I didn't do well with Pacific voters so my efforts were not successful. I got arrested and it was talked about in the media and among the population. It was an unxepected event that disturbed my campaign. The spotlight was on me for the wrong reasons. I want to thank the people who have sided with me in this judicial matter, in public or in polls. I hope my arrest didn't affect the vote or the opinion of people. I don't think so. I hope by now people know me and that I am not a criminal and the newer citizens see the ludicrous nature of the charges.

My campaign manager did a good job of finding replacements to take my place in the campaign because I was stuck in the Pacific, had to deal with judicial charges, got sick and weak in detention and from the stress this caused me. I was even considering if I should drop out of the race if voters were never vote for someone who just had been charged. I want to thank my friends who came to campaign for me on short notice: Mrs. Oliver, Miss Marple and Captain Hastings. Thank you also to the various Inspectors who let me use their costume and identity while I was on Pacific soil and to the IOC for letting me use their logo and material.

The last week has been difficult. I am exhausted and need to rest. I'm sad because this could be the last At-Large Senate race. If they disappear I will miss them, the great number of candidates in the same race, the national audience for them, the great territory you need to cover in the campaign.

I have received many high preference so I want to thank the voters who gave me second and third preference and especially those who trusted me enough to award me their first preference. I will end this Games campaign in the spirit of Pierre de Coubertin. The most important thing is not to win but to take part.

Thank you kindly.

Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #456 on: April 20, 2015, 07:47:32 AM »

Sorry that you couldn't breakthrough this time.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #457 on: April 20, 2015, 07:57:45 AM »

Sorry that you couldn't breakthrough this time.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #458 on: April 20, 2015, 12:43:28 PM »

I love your persistence. Keep running. I know it'll pay off for you sometime.
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #459 on: April 20, 2015, 10:15:29 PM »

Please Poirot, keep on trying, I really want to see you win Smiley
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #460 on: July 01, 2015, 06:08:46 PM »

I am a candidate in the the special At-Large Senate election, this time in July 2015. My campaign story theme is based on a fairy tale. In another thread I spoke of pumpkin and there was a picture posted of Poirot with a pumpkin. When the special election was called it took me some time to realize this could be a Cinderella story.

Over the last months some mean stepbrothers produced defamatory attack ads against me and put me in jail. One day a special Senate election was called and I received an invitation to the elections ball.
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I make myself pretty to woo the voters. They have their political opinions and they try the different candidates to find who fits them best. The elections ball will end Sunday at midnight (or 1 am depending what time is used) and the votes will be counted. If I get the most votes my pumpkin ride will transform into a black limo to drive me to Nyman and I will have secret service to protect me.

It is Halloween in July.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #461 on: July 01, 2015, 06:09:54 PM »

endorsed
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #462 on: July 01, 2015, 08:19:18 PM »

Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #463 on: July 01, 2015, 08:53:14 PM »

Now I am presenting my official campaign material. The official banner features the pumpkin carriage (reference to fairy tale explained in my previous post).

The official campaign song is Strong from Cinderella movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY_IscGn9nc

"I believe in you and me
We are strong"

The official campaign food is Cinderella inspired decorated cupcakes. 

Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #464 on: July 01, 2015, 09:46:31 PM »

I love Halloween.

Very high preference man, very high preference. Smiley
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #465 on: July 02, 2015, 12:34:22 PM »

I will give my opinion on some of the issues of the day.

I don't mind the creation of a archivist role to keep the wiki updated. I think it now falls to the assistant Attorney General to archive the laws. So if there is a new office created I would hope in the future we don't have an assistant GM if we have an archivist. If there is creation of a new office the Senate should have signs there will be some people applying for the job first.

Looking at a poll on devolution it looks like a formal devolution would be difficult to pass. I think we should have a national discussion to at least clarify the jurisdiction of the regional government and the Senate. If the country is not ready to have more exclusive jurisdiction to the regions, we could determine what topics should me mostly regional debated. For example education is one area that is often mentioned as being regional so the Senate should try to keep away from legislating too much in this. If it is more clear what level of government legislates on what it will get legislators more focus. Candidates who are interested in Senate domain can run for Senate and when they are interested in regional domains they can run in regional government.

I am against very long sentences by the court system. Banning someone for one year for example is like stopping someone from participating in the game. After a year the person could likely lose interest. We don't need less people participating, we need more people enjoying the game.

If two regions share a common regional government it is like merge without the name. In this situation I would find it fitting that there is one senator for the common region.

For the rest of the Senate mandate if I can introduce something it will be on rail safety to tighten reglementation with the objective of increasing security. 
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #466 on: July 02, 2015, 12:51:03 PM »

I will give my opinion on some of the issues of the day.

I don't mind the creation of a archivist role to keep the wiki updated. I think it now falls to the assistant Attorney General to archive the laws. So if there is a new office created I would hope in the future we don't have an assistant GM if we have an archivist. If there is creation of a new office the Senate should have signs there will be some people applying for the job first.

Did you mean an assistant AG?
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #467 on: July 02, 2015, 03:17:34 PM »

Sorry. Yes I did not write the correct letters. AG not GM.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #468 on: July 04, 2015, 03:19:46 PM »

Citizens who have the right to vote have more than a day left to exercise their democratic right.

The clock is ticking. After the end of voting we will know who is elected. I need votes to pimp my ride and get a black limo.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #469 on: July 05, 2015, 01:01:43 PM »

Poirot,
What is your opinion on a constitutional convention??
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #470 on: July 05, 2015, 01:32:46 PM »

First I want to say that I declared as a candidate to serve the traditional role of Senator and not to pull the plug on the game.

A constitutional convention has the merit of being a way to change some fundamental aspects of the game. I imagine people will be able to make different suggestions. It could be hard to agree because I have read posts in threads and people identify different problems. What someone wants to be fixed is not something another thinks needs to be fixed.

A convention could be an occasion to see among citizens who want to move forward what game they could be interested in playing. I'm concerned that rewriting the constitution from sracth is a herculean task.

I find it unfortunate that many citizens who have held important office and for a long time have decided the game should stop or decide not to participate anymore now that they have done their thing and they don't seem to be bothered by giving newer players a chance to play.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #471 on: July 05, 2015, 01:42:02 PM »

First I want to say that I declared as a candidate to serve the traditional role of Senator and not to pull the plug on the game.

A constitutional convention has the merit of being a way to change some fundamental aspects of the game. I imagine people will be able to make different suggestions. It could be hard to agree because I have read posts in threads and people identify different problems. What someone wants to be fixed is not something another thinks needs to be fixed.

A convention could be an occasion to see among citizens who want to move forward what game they could be interested in playing. I'm concerned that rewriting the constitution from sracth is a herculean task.

I find it unfortunate that many citizens who have held important office and for a long time have decided the game should stop or decide not to participate anymore now that they have done their thing and they don't seem to be bothered by giving newer players a chance to play.
Thank you for responding!!!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #472 on: July 06, 2015, 07:26:47 AM »

Well, Poirot, this was perhaps your strongest performance so far and I'm impressed Smiley People like you who don't give up, regardless of the obstacles, are truly the strength of this game.

Hope you will carry on.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #473 on: July 06, 2015, 03:28:41 PM »

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Congratulations on a race well run: I hope to see you in office sometime in the future.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #474 on: July 06, 2015, 09:45:04 PM »

My little pumpkins,

The clock has passes the deadline. There was no transformation resulting in a Senator's black limousine. I have had to walk and my feet hurt.

I have had probably my highest support recorded in pre-election polls. It made it look like I would be competitive with the other candidates. I received good support but still finished in fourth place. I want to thank all the voters who took the time to see if I fitted Senators' shoes and sincere thanks to people who found the shoe fits and voted for me. I have received support from a diversity of political affiliations and that makes me happy.

I congratulate Kalwejt for winning and all the candidates for their campaigns. The campaign period was short but every candidate was active and talked about issues in their thread. I have noticed all the candidates had campaign banners which is great. All my opponents are qualified and dedicated people and it was an honor to be in a race with them.

Thank you kindly.
Poirot
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 28  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies