1st Presidential Debate Live Commentary Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:32:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  1st Presidential Debate Live Commentary Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17]
Author Topic: 1st Presidential Debate Live Commentary Thread  (Read 23603 times)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: October 04, 2012, 08:04:45 AM »

Romney lies all during the debate, Obama tells the truth but doesn't attack Romney...Romney wins? oh silly america....

It's the "narrative" that matters in American presidential elections. It's barf worthy. Right after the debate was over, the media told us there was now a horse race. There was no fact checking, nothing of the sort, just endless compliments for Romney because he acted "presidential". Personally, I think he acted like a narcissist with not a bone of integrity in his body.

I watched the debate, and honestly, I think most of these pundits had their talking points ready before the debate. And it's pretty awful to see many members of this forum, many liberal Democrats, parrot the media's narrative. I thought Obama was on point last night. He didn't act like the debate was a schoolyard fight, but rather a meeting of the minds between two presidential candidates.

I agree..the funny thing Is that America is one of the only countries that would vote for Romney.

"Funny" is not exactly the word I would use.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #401 on: October 04, 2012, 08:05:37 AM »

FTR I liked what Obama said and that seemed to not only know his stuff, but be thoughtful about it, and to be honest I thought Romney was often too overbearing and the constant smirk... ugh! And don't get me started on avoiding specifics ... but I got angry that Romney gave Obama sooooooo many openings that he just let pass.

But I knew from before the debate that Romney would be declared the winner, baring a breakdown... But after about 10 mins in it was clear the media had a new storyline
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #402 on: October 04, 2012, 08:19:57 AM »

"Jobless?"  What was I thinking?

I should have gone with "middle" as my drinking word.  In his second segment, which lasted two minutes and nineteen seconds, Romney used the phrase "middle income" six times, if I counted correctly.  In his response, which lasted about the same amount of time, Obama used the phrase "middle class" six times.

I did hear something unusual.  "I like Big Bird.  I like you too, Jim."  That was totally unexpected, and I'd never heard Big Bird mentioned in a debate before, so I took a big swig for that.

A perusal of the on-line dailies this morning suggests that Romney is viewed to have "won" the debate.  Dana Milbank of WaPo says that Romney "seized" the debate and writes that "His attacks on the president were respectful but deft."  Fox News calls Romney "feisty."  CNN's flash poll puts it at Romney 67% to Obama 25%.  I haven't picked up hardcopy of the Lancaster Intelligencer-Journal yet today, but the Phila Inquirer on-line says that "The GOP challenger came on strong in a debate heavy on statistics. The President seemed less on his game."

NYTimes was the odd paper out, saying that it was disappointed with both candidates and that the debate was "unhelpful."

I didn't really get any of that while I watched.  First, I thought it was helpful in that the candidates were clearly different and that I had a choice between different legislative agendas.  Secondly, I didn't not feel that Romney "won" the debate.  I guess it's an expectations game.  I figured Romney, who was tested and practiced from a grueling primary season, would be masterful, and that Obama, who has been president and hasn't had to debate anyone like this for four years, would be a little rusty and aloof, but in command of facts and figures.  I was not disappointed.  Romney was feisty, and Obama was professorial.  My expectations were met, the only surprise was a reference to Big Bird, and, at least to me, there wasn't a clear winner.

Just my two cents.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #403 on: October 04, 2012, 09:30:14 AM »

Obama needed to aggressively point out it didn't work with Bush and it won't work this time either.

It is beyond obvious to everybody outside of the staunchest Democratic circles that this does not work. Romney is clearly not Bush, and Obama needs to take responsibility for at least the last year or two.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #404 on: October 04, 2012, 09:34:02 AM »

Heh, I go to bed thinking "well that was boring", thinking Romney did pretty well and that the media would spin it as the comeback narrative they've been wanting to write for ages, and come on here to see everyone freaking out. Calm down, people.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #405 on: October 04, 2012, 09:49:53 AM »
« Edited: October 04, 2012, 09:52:07 AM by 5280 »

Some of the Romney supporters outside DU yesterday.

Courtesy of Katie Pavlich from townhall.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB9m9BAoECw&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz_22XvQ1_A&feature=player_embedded

Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #406 on: October 04, 2012, 10:20:19 AM »

With 50% of college graduates being unable to find a job in the Obama Economy, no wonder we're starting to see this.

Obama has done to young workers what Carter did to young workers in the late 1970s.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #407 on: October 04, 2012, 10:26:42 AM »

Poor fools Sad
Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
Kenya

« Reply #408 on: October 04, 2012, 10:33:20 AM »

LiberalJunkie
LiberalJunkie99
Canada

« Reply #409 on: October 04, 2012, 10:34:28 AM »

Romney lies all during the debate, Obama tells the truth but doesn't attack Romney...Romney wins? oh silly america....

It's the "narrative" that matters in American presidential elections. It's barf worthy. Right after the debate was over, the media told us there was now a horse race. There was no fact checking, nothing of the sort, just endless compliments for Romney because he acted "presidential". Personally, I think he acted like a narcissist with not a bone of integrity in his body.

I watched the debate, and honestly, I think most of these pundits had their talking points ready before the debate. And it's pretty awful to see many members of this forum, many liberal Democrats, parrot the media's narrative. I thought Obama was on point last night. He didn't act like the debate was a schoolyard fight, but rather a meeting of the minds between two presidential candidates.

I agree..the funny thing Is that America is one of the only countries that would vote for Romney.

"Funny" is not exactly the word I would use.

Ya more like sad...
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #410 on: October 04, 2012, 12:19:02 PM »

Obama needed to aggressively point out it didn't work with Bush and it won't work this time either.

It is beyond obvious to everybody outside of the staunchest Democratic circles that this does not work. Romney is clearly not Bush, and Obama needs to take responsibility for at least the last year or two.

It's the policies we are talking about here, not the person.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #411 on: October 04, 2012, 04:33:54 PM »

It was Obama caught by the lies he's told the American people the past 5 years or so. I'm not a Romney supporter but he blew Obama out of the water. I've went from writing in Ron Paul to toss up between Paul and Mitt.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #412 on: October 04, 2012, 04:42:12 PM »

I think Obama just wanted to be with his wife.

What makes you think the feeling is mutual?

I think it is fairly obvious Michelle and Barrack really do love each other.

Well, after that performance, neither of them might be in the mood.  Wink

Actually, there have suggestions of tension in marriage.  Hey, look at Al and Tipper.

Don't be a creep...

You never saw Being There, did you.  "This never happened when you were a senator."  Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies