Romney still can't win the electoral college
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:30:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney still can't win the electoral college
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Romney still can't win the electoral college  (Read 3964 times)
Ty440
GoldenBoy
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2012, 11:29:24 PM »

I agree with the OP.  Romney may actually make this a close election after all, but he won't win simply because he doesn't have the EV's lined up in his direction.  He won't win OH and his chances in FL have been minimal since he announced Ryan as his VP.

Also, I think it's interesting that it's as close as the polls suggest in places like IA, NH, WI and CO.  That'd make one think things were turning Romney's way, but the lack of OH *and* FL will cause Romney to lose.

Most polls suggest he's already flipped Florida, and Ohio is not far off.  Chances are that white working class voters were flirting with voting Obama solely because Romney is so clearly (blatantly even) the epitome of the class which is destroying them, but now that they saw Obama next to him, and Romney was so white (and Obama so black by contrast), they can't help but change.  Obama should never have agreed to appear on TV.

LOL Never knew Obama was the same complexion as Wesley Snipes.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2012, 11:40:03 PM »

Romney can win the electoral college if he swings every state where he was down by 5% or less the day before the first debate.  That means he wouldn't have to win Ohio, but he would have to win Florida, North Carolina, Virginia, Colorado, Iowa and Nevada.  It's possible, but the hill is still pretty steep.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2012, 12:27:19 AM »

It's ironic that opebo predicts a Romney win and J.J. predicts an Obama win.  I wonder if it has anything to do with where they live. 

To the people talking about my home state: you make some very good points.  As for me, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he made a late play for my state.  Unemployment is high, there's news of surging gas prices and even a possible shortage in the next month.  This in and of itself won't necessarily flip the state, but it'll be murder for Democratic enthusiasm.  It seems far-fetched, but as others have noted, Romney is leading among Independents by a good margin, and the relative turnout among the two major parties can make him competitive.  Even if he loses the state, I wouldn't be surprised if he broke 46 or 47 percent. 

I'm sorry, are you talking about CA?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2012, 12:32:24 AM »

I agree with the OP.  Romney may actually make this a close election after all, but he won't win simply because he doesn't have the EV's lined up in his direction.  He won't win OH and his chances in FL have been minimal since he announced Ryan as his VP.

Also, I think it's interesting that it's as close as the polls suggest in places like IA, NH, WI and CO.  That'd make one think things were turning Romney's way, but the lack of OH *and* FL will cause Romney to lose.

Most polls suggest he's already flipped Florida, and Ohio is not far off.  Chances are that white working class voters were flirting with voting Obama solely because Romney is so clearly (blatantly even) the epitome of the class which is destroying them, but now that they saw Obama next to him, and Romney was so white (and Obama so black by contrast), they can't help but change.  Obama should never have agreed to appear on TV.

LOL Never knew Obama was the same complexion as Wesley Snipes.
And I'm sure it was news to the masses that Obama is so black. We live in such a colorblind society, most people had simply never noticed.
Hoverbored123
Rookie
United States

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2012, 03:02:55 AM »

It's ironic that opebo predicts a Romney win and J.J. predicts an Obama win.  I wonder if it has anything to do with where they live. 

To the people talking about my home state: you make some very good points.  As for me, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he made a late play for my state.  Unemployment is high, there's news of surging gas prices and even a possible shortage in the next month.  This in and of itself won't necessarily flip the state, but it'll be murder for Democratic enthusiasm.  It seems far-fetched, but as others have noted, Romney is leading among Independents by a good margin, and the relative turnout among the two major parties can make him competitive.  Even if he loses the state, I wouldn't be surprised if he broke 46 or 47 percent. 

That's right.  Come to think of it, I never mentioned it by name in my post...
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2012, 03:19:06 AM »

That's right.  Come to think of it, I never mentioned it by name in my post...

That's what I thought - the economy might not be great in CA, but Romney would be lucky to crack 41-42%
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies