Philly teacher to student: Romney shirt must come off; it's like a KKK shirt.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:02:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Philly teacher to student: Romney shirt must come off; it's like a KKK shirt.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Philly teacher to student: Romney shirt must come off; it's like a KKK shirt.  (Read 5105 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 04, 2012, 09:25:44 AM »

http://mobile.philly.com/news/?wss=/philly/education&id=172580131

The teacher publicly berated her and asked other teachers and students to bully her. She also stated that the student was at a "Democratic school" and that wearing a Romney shirt would be like a black teacher wearing a KKK shirt. The teacher went on to say that she was "just joking"...then stormed out of the school.

If this doesn't make you sick...
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 09:44:17 AM »

Needs terminated today.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 09:46:59 AM »

no
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 09:48:09 AM »

would the outcry be as vociferous in the case of a teacher who demanded a student recite the Pledge of Allegiance?  this happened to me and I cited WV Board v Barnett, then took to reading the Soviet National Anthem during the pledge reading.  With Stalin our leader, classless and free!
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 09:49:30 AM »

haha also my grandfather - Korean War vet got a flag from the American Legion yesterday.  my response: "the Supreme Court says you can burn those things!"  he still loves me, against all odds.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 09:49:46 AM »

Yeah, I have to agree with you this time. Teachers shouldn't be berating students about politics; they can talk about politics sure, but since teachers are public figures themselves, they need self-control and good manners when talking about politics. The teacher needs to face discipline.

Of course, more context would be nice.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 09:50:00 AM »

does Keystone Phil support Tinker v DeMoines?  Clarence Thomas doesn't.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 10:17:06 AM »

would the outcry be as vociferous in the case of a teacher who demanded a student recite the Pledge of Allegiance? 

Yes, reason being, I support free speech and expression. Obviously there are a few restrictions in schools, but you can't be forced to recite the Pledge of Allegiance and you shouldn't be treated like this for wearing clothing within the school's dress code.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 10:19:35 AM »

would the outcry be as vociferous in the case of a teacher who demanded a student recite the Pledge of Allegiance? 
Yes, reason being, I support free speech and expression. Obviously there are a few restrictions in schools, but you can't be forced to recite the Pledge of Allegiance and you shouldn't be treated like this for wearing clothing within the school's dress code.

of course but once we start talking about disciplining the teacher it becomes a labor & employment issue.

plus let's try to back the right-wingers here into a corner on student free-speech rights, something they've never liked.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 11:07:50 AM »

I would've laughed if I was in that class.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 11:24:57 AM »

Lol Humans.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 11:26:53 AM »

This is why school uniforms are a good idea.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 11:28:32 AM »

You didn't actually click the link, did you? This bizarre incident was caused by school uniforms.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 11:31:11 AM »

You didn't actually click the link, did you? This bizarre incident was caused by school uniforms.

It would happen with far more frequency during the political season if uniforms weren't mandatory. Tongue
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 11:37:30 AM »

It would happen with far more frequency during the political season if uniforms weren't mandatory. Tongue
I doubt that very much. There are established standards on what is okay and what isn't where people wear their everyday clothes to school.

*and in regards to what's worn, most things are. And in regards to how teachers can comment on what's worn, freaking out like this is certainly not.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2012, 11:53:38 AM »

I doubt that very much. There are established standards on what is okay and what isn't where people wear their everyday clothes to school.

*and in regards to what's worn, most things are. And in regards to how teachers can comment on what's worn, freaking out like this is certainly not.

I'm not suggesting that wearing political gear would become standard but there's definitely a greater chance of someone sporting campaign attire when "regular" clothes can be worn every day as opposed to the occasional dress down day.

Also, I'm not suggesting that blow ups like this would occur as frequently but minor issues (things that don't make national news. Maybe just a minor classroom disturbance) would happen more often. Unless they stated from the start that political attire is not permitted...which is just another step towards uniforms, right? Wink
danny
Israel

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2012, 02:32:21 PM »

MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2012, 03:09:28 PM »

Can the teacher.
Link
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2012, 03:35:13 PM »

Doubt it.  You are dealing with people with very selective outrage.

Yeah, I have to agree with you this time. Teachers shouldn't be berating students about politics; they can talk about politics sure, but since teachers are public figures themselves, they need self-control and good manners when talking about politics.

Being a "public figure" has nothing to do with it.  People shouldn't be expressing political opinions to any children except their own.  And really they should only do that sparingly when the children are older teenagers.

This forum stands as a testament to what goes wrong when young people who don't have a clue get deeply involved in politics.  Children should be concentrating on reading, writing, science, math, and REAL history.  95% of what goes on in politics is pure nonsense.  Young people need to be focused on facts and reason... not nonsense.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2012, 03:41:31 PM »

Doubt it.  You are dealing with people with very selective outrage.

Yeah, I have to agree with you this time. Teachers shouldn't be berating students about politics; they can talk about politics sure, but since teachers are public figures themselves, they need self-control and good manners when talking about politics.

Being a "public figure" has nothing to do with it.  People shouldn't be expressing political opinions to any children except their own.  And really they should only do that sparingly when the children are older teenagers.

This forum stands as a testament to what goes wrong when young people who don't have a clue get deeply involved in politics.  Children should be concentrating on reading, writing, science, math, and REAL history.  95% of what goes on in politics is pure nonsense.  Young people need to be focused on facts and reason... not nonsense.

Ever hear of "civics?"
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2012, 03:55:25 PM »

No seriously this is not a joking matter. If a teacher called a student wearing an Obama shirt a supporter of terrorism or whatever, you'd always be calling for the teacher to be publicly executed.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2012, 04:23:59 PM »

I know this is a story because it was a Romney shirt but please, for a moment, take politics out of this. We have a teacher here that asked students and fellow teachers to mock a student after already mocking the girl in class and intimidating her ("This is a Democratic school" Note the irony). Then, after being reprimanded, she blamed the girl by telling the class, "I'm not allowed to joke with you anymore." She then left the building.

This is someone who was trusted with teaching and supervising children. Everyone should be enraged by this behavior.
Link
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2012, 05:04:46 PM »
« Edited: October 04, 2012, 05:09:42 PM by Link »

Doubt it.  You are dealing with people with very selective outrage.

Being a "public figure" has nothing to do with it.  People shouldn't be expressing political opinions to any children except their own.  And really they should only do that sparingly when the children are older teenagers.

This forum stands as a testament to what goes wrong when young people who don't have a clue get deeply involved in politics.  Children should be concentrating on reading, writing, science, math, and REAL history.  95% of what goes on in politics is pure nonsense.  Young people need to be focused on facts and reason... not nonsense.

Ever hear of "civics?"

Once again you know exactly what I mean but have decided to give us your usual retort.

In a classroom you can factually describe the position of Speaker of the House.  You can show where the duties and requirements for the office are laid out in the Constitution.  You can list several recent speakers such as Boehner, Pelosi, and Gingrich.  You can list their legislative accomplishments.  This is all factual.  It is not anyone's opinion.  And as I said when the children start getting older and are in their late teens you can even present quotes from Op Eds, books, radio shows, and television shows.  Again those are other people's opinions.  You can teach the entire class and the students would have no clue who you voted for.  You can present the information in a neutral way and then moderate.  You don't have to go in and start spouting your partisan opinion.  I would never repeat most of what I type on here in front of children.  They deserve to have a chance to live a care free childhood and concentrate on gathering the building blocks they will use once they have more life experience.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2012, 05:14:13 PM »

Teacher had a point.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2012, 07:09:40 PM »

I would pay good money to observe drama like this. I especially enjoyed the part about her leaving the school.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies