Philly teacher to student: Romney shirt must come off; it's like a KKK shirt.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 08:58:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Philly teacher to student: Romney shirt must come off; it's like a KKK shirt.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Philly teacher to student: Romney shirt must come off; it's like a KKK shirt.  (Read 5100 times)
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2012, 07:27:04 PM »

The teacher shouldn't have said that, but it's one of those things that comes off as funny.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2012, 07:37:51 PM »

Wow, that's a bit of a **** of a teacher.

Also, I'm surprised this thread wasn't created by krazen.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2012, 09:27:00 PM »

If a teacher had ever tried to do that with me ... well you just guess.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2012, 09:43:46 PM »

My teachers are too aware of what my reaction would be to try that with me...

Charming little fycker, aren't you?
Link
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2012, 09:44:39 PM »

Where are people going to school where they have to worry about contingency plans for this situation?  I've lived for decades in a country with hundreds of millions of people and this is the first time I've ever heard about something this extreme.
Link
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2012, 10:59:44 PM »

High schoolers do not have strong opinions about economics or foreign policy (as opposed to social policy like abortion or gay marriage) and are therefore very willing to listen to someone they trust who does, like me. When politics is discussed in my clique, it usually comes down to me saying something and everyone agreeing. I am a rather persuasive person in real life (I recall a rather heated argument about Libya with my English teacher, where I was actually against intervention and she was for it, where I managed to convince the entire class that Gaddafi was preferable to the rebels, and f**k the mainstream media).

So you think you convinced a bunch of disinterested adolescents.

And a busy English teacher moved on from your protracted political speech.  You know Vosem sometimes when adults just keep quiet and let you finish saying what you are saying and then move on it is not because you convinced them.  Sometimes they just want to get on with their work so they humor the most talkative person.  Once that person is satisfied they have convinced everyone in the room then the adult is free to move on with their day.

I generally don't initiate political conversations at work.  And if someone else engages me I never tell them my true feelings until I've ascertained theirs and I have some level of comfort they aren't going to blab my opinion all over the place.  Even then most of stuff I say on this forum stays in my head.  Most of the time when the extremists engage me in screwball conversations at work I just furrow my brow and say things like "that's very interesting" and "I really need to look into that."  They walk away thinking they converted me to a Fox Noise acolyte and I can get on with my day.

I'm pretty sure most of the people at my work vote.  Only about three of them have come out and had ridiculous off the wall political conversations with me that made zero factual sense.  Two of the conversations were particularly disappointing.  One person I like a lot.  I really enjoy spending time with them.  Another one I have the utmost respect for as far as work.  They are awesome.  They probably all think I agree with them since I get along with them.  Anyway it keeps the peace and lets me be around people I can learn a lot from.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2012, 12:52:04 PM »

It gets worse - Pawlucy's parents went to the school today for a meeting. They were met with obscenities being shouted by the students from school windows - http://mobile.philly.com/news/?wss=/philly/news&id=172845481
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2012, 01:22:26 PM »

Once again you know exactly what I mean but have decided to give us your usual retort.

In a classroom you can factually describe the position of Speaker of the House.  You can show where the duties and requirements for the office are laid out in the Constitution.  You can list several recent speakers such as Boehner, Pelosi, and Gingrich.  You can list their legislative accomplishments.  This is all factual.  It is not anyone's opinion.  And as I said when the children start getting older and are in their late teens you can even present quotes from Op Eds, books, radio shows, and television shows.  Again those are other people's opinions.  You can teach the entire class and the students would have no clue who you voted for.  You can present the information in a neutral way and then moderate.  You don't have to go in and start spouting your partisan opinion.  I would never repeat most of what I type on here in front of children.  They deserve to have a chance to live a care free childhood and concentrate on gathering the building blocks they will use once they have more life experience.

And you can encourage people to take part in the democratic process.  The teacher might present material in a neutral manner, but the expression of the student need not be neutral.  The teacher "spouted" her "partisan opinion," needlessly.  And yes, if this had been a student wearing an Obama tee shirt, I would have said the same thing.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2012, 01:30:55 PM »

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2012, 01:53:21 PM »
« Edited: October 05, 2012, 01:56:36 PM by Minion of Midas »

This is why school uniforms are a good idea.
You didn't actually click the link, did you? This bizarre incident was caused by school uniforms.

It would happen with far more frequency during the political season if uniforms weren't mandatory. Tongue
I doubt that very much. There are established standards on what is okay and what isn't where people wear their everyday clothes to school.

*and in regards to what's worn, most things are. And in regards to how teachers can comment on what's worn, freaking out like this is certainly not.

I'm not suggesting that wearing political gear would become standard but there's definitely a greater chance of someone sporting campaign attire when "regular" clothes can be worn every day as opposed to the occasional dress down day.
I wore t-shirts such as this one
 and this one  regularly to school. That's a lot more objectionable (in a straightforward, mainstream media sense. In another sense, perhaps no) than a t shirt for a mainstream election candidate.

No teacher has a right to get angry about it. Of course that was back in the nineties. There was a story recently about a female teacher here reacting somewhat similar, if not *quite* as badly, over a 14-year old girl's (apparently very, on that particular day) skimpy attire - and that brought memories back to what some of the girls in my class sometimes wore on summer days (and of a shocked exclamation by a student, though this must have been at age 16 or 17, directed at another student, "wait, are you actually sitting there topless?" She wasn't, but it was hard to tell from the back.) No one would have considered it appropriate for a teacher to get angry at that back in the 90s either.

Teacher in this new case ended up paying a criminal fine, so all's well. -_-
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2012, 01:57:00 PM »

My teachers are too aware of what my reaction would be to try that with me...

Charming little fycker, aren't you?

Well, I don't like to be immodest, but...

When politics is discussed in my clique, it usually comes down to me saying something and everyone agreeing. I am a rather persuasive person in real life (I recall a rather heated argument about Libya with my English teacher, where I was actually against intervention and she was for it, where I managed to convince the entire class that Gaddafi was preferable to the rebels, and f**k the mainstream media).

Hadn't really noticed you until now. Thanks for letting me know you're an immodest little twat, though. You remind me of my high school... it was full of sheltered, spoiled and rich Republican brats who thought they knew everything when in fact they knew nothing.

Ignored.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2012, 02:03:40 PM »

^ Ignore everyone I don't like! Everyone who opposes us is just part of an echo-chamber. Yaargggh!

God, some people are just such twats.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2012, 02:38:01 PM »

^ Ignore everyone I don't like! Everyone who opposes us is just part of an echo-chamber. Yaargggh!

Please read Vosem's quote and see how insufferable it was before making judgements.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2012, 02:41:46 PM »

Not cool, teach. NOT cool.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2012, 02:43:05 PM »

Please read Vosem's quote and see how insufferable it was before making judgements.

To be quite fair, almost all of us are quite persuasive in real life. Because the vast majority of people have better things to do than research the minute details of political issues. If I had a car and it broke, I'm pretty sure anyone with any kind of background in mechanics would immediately become the most persuasive person on Earth.

That being said, I found the reaction far far more insufferable than what prompted it. Snooty and still butthurt/resentful of silly high school things.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2012, 02:44:41 PM »

I think "on ignore" should be the default setting on this forum. -_-
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2012, 04:07:19 PM »

Haha, cute. And where did I mention an echo chamber? Or that I ignore people I don't like? Oh, that's right... Can't win an argument? Then just make sh**t up!
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2012, 04:22:21 PM »

I think "on ignore" should be the default setting on this forum. -_-

There's an idea.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2012, 04:32:19 PM »

Wonder if she scratched a backwards B on the child's cheek also.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2012, 04:40:58 PM »

can we get an answer on this?

does Keystone Phil support Tinker v DeMoines?  Clarence Thomas doesn't.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2012, 04:41:59 PM »

Haha, cute. And where did I mention an echo chamber? Or that I ignore people I don't like? Oh, that's right... Can't win an argument? Then just make sh**t up!

I'd be willing to bet that virtually no left-winger on here has Torie, Smid, Cathcon, RogueBeaver , Inks, dead0man or clarence on ignore.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2012, 05:57:45 PM »

High schoolers do not have strong opinions about economics or foreign policy (as opposed to social policy like abortion or gay marriage) and are therefore very willing to listen to someone they trust who does, like me. When politics is discussed in my clique, it usually comes down to me saying something and everyone agreeing. I am a rather persuasive person in real life (I recall a rather heated argument about Libya with my English teacher, where I was actually against intervention and she was for it, where I managed to convince the entire class that Gaddafi was preferable to the rebels, and f**k the mainstream media).

So you think you convinced a bunch of disinterested adolescents.

And a busy English teacher moved on from your protracted political speech.

If spending the rest of the period (30 minutes) discussing it and then moving on the next day (although the subject did periodically recur), then she certainly did, and if I only imagined people in the class repeating my talking points, then it was just a figment of my imagination.

You know Vosem sometimes when adults just keep quiet and let you finish saying what you are saying and then move on it is not because you convinced them.

Sometimes that is the case, but it was clearly not the case this time.

I generally don't initiate political conversations at work.  And if someone else engages me I never tell them my true feelings until I've ascertained theirs and I have some level of comfort they aren't going to blab my opinion all over the place.  Even then most of stuff I say on this forum stays in my head.  Most of the time when the extremists engage me in screwball conversations at work I just furrow my brow and say things like "that's very interesting" and "I really need to look into that."  They walk away thinking they converted me to a Fox Noise acolyte and I can get on with my day.

I'm pretty sure most of the people at my work vote.  Only about three of them have come out and had ridiculous off the wall political conversations with me that made zero factual sense.  Two of the conversations were particularly disappointing.  One person I like a lot.  I really enjoy spending time with them.  Another one I have the utmost respect for as far as work.  They are awesome.  They probably all think I agree with them since I get along with them.  Anyway it keeps the peace and lets me be around people I can learn a lot from.

OK...
rob in cal
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2012, 06:24:23 PM »

A side issue to this ridiculous teacher is that the teacher is sending out an incorrect political message.  Perhaps if the girl wore a Virgil Goode t-shirt, or something from the League of the South, or "we should have picked our own cotton", the KKK comparison would hit closer to home. (I mention Goode just because his support for much  lower immigration makes him the candidate that the Klan might very well support over the pro-mass immigration Romney).

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2012, 06:45:29 PM »

Wonder if she scratched a backwards B on the child's cheek also.

Really mature. A girl was bullied by a teacher. Her teacher told other students and teachers to bully her. But let's dismiss it as a hoax because you don't want to admit classlessness on your side.

Some of the responses here are predictable. They're a part of an act or general trolling. For anyone that doesn't fit in those two groups, let's imagine if a black student was told by a white teacher in...oh...Mississippi that the student was in a "Republican school" and that her Obama shirt. Imagine the national attention. Imagine the hysteria here.

Thank you to the classy people here that called out this teacher for being a disgrace. This shouldn't be about one's political stance; it should be about defending a student against bullying and general ignorance.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2012, 06:47:09 PM »

Yes, absolutely you can get an answer: I'm not going to state my opinion as part of your diversion tactic.

Hope that helped.  Smiley
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies