Philly teacher to student: Romney shirt must come off; it's like a KKK shirt.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:36:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Philly teacher to student: Romney shirt must come off; it's like a KKK shirt.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Philly teacher to student: Romney shirt must come off; it's like a KKK shirt.  (Read 5107 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2012, 06:54:17 PM »

it isn't diversion at all, this is a textbook case re: the right of student speech/expression.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2012, 06:55:59 PM »

it isn't diversion at all, this is a textbook case re: the right of student speech/expression.

Even if the school had the right to prevent the expression of certain political opinions, there's a big difference between asking a student to go change their shirt and the bat-sh**t insane bullying this teacher pulled off.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2012, 06:58:58 PM »

Even if the school had the right to prevent the expression of certain political opinions, there's a big difference between asking a student to go change their shirt and the bat-sh**t insane bullying this teacher pulled off.

the issue either is student speech or it isn't.  if it is instead about how bad it is for teachers to "bully" students, then the underlying reason for the teacher doing so should be of no consequence.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2012, 07:54:52 PM »

This isn't a matter of blocking freedom of expression; it's an issue regarding how the expression was dealt with by a superior. It was completely inappropriate. We're talking about a teacher bullying a student and wanting other students and teachers to join in. Inexcusable.

This is in the news and is an especially hot topic because it is a political shirt in question but this problem runs deeper than that.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2012, 07:55:50 PM »

so then the thread is not about the expression but about the teacher-bullying. why is the Romney shirt mentioned in your thread title?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2012, 09:17:30 PM »

so then the thread is not about the expression but about the teacher-bullying. why is the Romney shirt mentioned in your thread title?

Because it stemmed from a confrontation over a Romney shirt, Tweed. That's part of the story whether we like it or not.

You're really exhausting when you're difficult.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2012, 11:59:28 AM »

Have any kids confirmed this kid's story yet? I wouldn't expect the teacher to be unbiased, but did anyone who isn't named Pawlucy witness the teacher "going into the hallway to get other teachers to bully her"?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2012, 01:48:05 PM »

I know this is a story because it was a Romney shirt but please, for a moment, take politics out of this. We have a teacher here that asked students and fellow teachers to mock a student after already mocking the girl in class and intimidating her ("This is a Democratic school" Note the irony). Then, after being reprimanded, she blamed the girl by telling the class, "I'm not allowed to joke with you anymore." She then left the building.

This is someone who was trusted with teaching and supervising children. Everyone should be enraged by this behavior.

Quoted for truth.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2012, 03:41:31 PM »

Have any kids confirmed this kid's story yet? I wouldn't expect the teacher to be unbiased, but did anyone who isn't named Pawlucy witness the teacher "going into the hallway to get other teachers to bully her"?

Maybe we'll get a few of the kids that shouted obscenities at her parents to say this is just a vast right wing conspiracy conjured up by a high school girl and her parents.

Let's remember: the teacher was reprimanded for her behavior, threw a hissy fit (again) directed at the girl and stormed out of the school. Whoever the member of the administration was that reprimanded the teacher had to have done so after the story was verified especially since this is a "Democratic school."
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2012, 06:36:51 PM »

All I asked was if anyone other than the kid and her parents witnessed this. Has anyone said so?

I'm not alleging a "vast right wing conspiracy", it's just common sense. Maybe it happened the way this girl said, maybe it didn't. You have your reasons for wanting to take it at face value, and I'm sure I have my reasons for wanting verification by someone who isn't her.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2012, 08:41:34 AM »

And a reprimanding by the administration isn't enough verification? The teacher not denying the comments isn't verification?

I don't "want" to take this at face value; I'm just recognizing that this obviously happened. If it didn't, where are the students saying it's a hoax (when they aren't shouting obscenities out of school windows)? Or maybe there is just a cover up by the right wing Republican hack Philadelphia press.

"Maybe this happened, maybe it didn't" is sadly just a stalling tactic by those that enjoy seeing this and other boards filled with stories that make Romney supporters/Republicans look like savages, morons, etc.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2012, 12:52:40 PM »

weird.

I admit that I thought it was a hoax, but I searched and it's real.  The teacher has publicly apologized to the student's family by now, and the school district has issued a statement of regret for the impropriety of the teacher's behavior.  She has also been reprimanded and transferred to another classroom  My guess is that the school board does not want a fight with the teacher's union, so it probably won't attempt to terminate her.  They probably hope this goes away quietly now that the teacher has been transferred to another class.

Clearly this is the sort of bullying that we read about all the time and it often gets out of hand (gay students end up committing suicide, etc.)  Teachers do set poor examples, and this wouldn't be the first time it has happened.  I was reading an interview with Alfons Heck, a former Hitlerjungend member, in the public library yesterday.  He told about how his teachers were always encouraging the students to take it upon themselves help the society cleanse itself of cripples, commies, Jews, and the like.  Closer to home, just last year an elementary school teacher in LA blindfolded 3rd graders and fed them his semen on crackers, yet he still draws an LAUSD paycheck while out on $23 million bail for dozens of felony child molestation charges.

In a world where the grown-ups are acting like Maurice in Lord of the Flies, can we really blame our children for being bullies themselves? 
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2012, 02:07:01 PM »

Closer to home, just last year an elementary school teacher in LA blindfolded 3rd graders and fed them his semen on crackers, yet he still draws an LAUSD paycheck while out on $23 million bail for dozens of felony child molestation charges.

lol, teacher's unions.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2012, 02:19:13 PM »

Closer to home, just last year an elementary school teacher in LA blindfolded 3rd graders and fed them his semen on crackers, yet he still draws an LAUSD paycheck while out on $23 million bail for dozens of felony child molestation charges.

lol, teacher's unions.

$2.3 million.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2012, 02:48:02 PM »

lol, teacher's unions.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2012, 04:45:55 PM »

http://mobile.philly.com/news/?wss=/philly/education&id=172580131

The teacher publicly berated her and asked other teachers and students to bully her. She also stated that the student was at a "Democratic school" and that wearing a Romney shirt would be like a black teacher wearing a KKK shirt. The teacher went on to say that she was "just joking"...then stormed out of the school.

If this doesn't make you sick...
Oh, just ignore the fact that the KKK was founded for Democrats, by Democrats, to terrorize blacks and white Republicans and to stop Republican policies from advancing the rights of blacks. 
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2012, 07:33:19 PM »

This isn't a matter of blocking freedom of expression; it's an issue regarding how the expression was dealt with by a superior. It was completely inappropriate. We're talking about a teacher bullying a student and wanting other students and teachers to join in. Inexcusable.

This is in the news and is an especially hot topic because it is a political shirt in question but this problem runs deeper than that.

Actually, it's both. And on each account the teacher acted totally $hi#y.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #67 on: October 13, 2012, 09:47:29 AM »

Reason to homeschool #5478: A not insignificant proportion of teachers bully their students.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2012, 11:03:40 AM »

The teacher publicly berated her and asked other teachers and students to bully her. She also stated that the student was at a "Democratic school" and that wearing a Romney shirt would be like a black teacher wearing a KKK shirt. The teacher went on to say that she was "just joking"...then stormed out of the school.

Oh, just ignore the fact that the KKK was founded for Democrats, by Democrats, to terrorize blacks and white Republicans and to stop Republican policies from advancing the rights of blacks.  

Since that was true 140 years ago, it's not really relevant to today.

The revived KKK in the north and midwest in the 1920s was a staunch ally and pillar of the Republican Party.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #69 on: October 13, 2012, 12:14:06 PM »

Things that happened 140 years ago is irrelevant but something about 90 years ago? Fair game, baby.

For the record, I find reference to both KKK examples above to be silly.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #70 on: October 13, 2012, 02:51:36 PM »

Things that happened 140 years ago is irrelevant but something about 90 years ago? Fair game, baby.

For the record, I find reference to both KKK examples above to be silly.

Phil, you're smarter than this.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #71 on: October 13, 2012, 06:02:38 PM »

The revived KKK in the north and midwest in the 1920s was a staunch ally and pillar of the Republican Party.
True, but most Klansmen in the South still supported Democrats.  Take Hugo Black, for example. 
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2012, 08:08:37 PM »

True, but most Klansmen in the South still supported Democrats.  Take Hugo Black, for example. 

You make me sad for the state of our education system.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #73 on: October 14, 2012, 11:50:49 AM »

There are extreme idiots on both sides. This isn't news.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #74 on: October 14, 2012, 11:52:03 AM »

There are extreme idiots on both sides. This isn't news.

there are more than two sides my man!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies