Should Obama just drop out and let Hillary Clinton take over?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:01:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Should Obama just drop out and let Hillary Clinton take over?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Should Obama just drop out and let Hillary Clinton take over?  (Read 2291 times)
gotapresent
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2012, 05:58:06 PM »

A couple weeks ago everyone was declaring the race over because of the 47% video, and talking about how Romney would go down as the worst nominee in modern history. Now Obama gives one bad debate performance and people are declaring the race over again. Both are complete overreactions. The fact is, Romney was a big underdog before the debate. Now he's a moderate underdog. The fundamentals of the race still favor Obama.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2012, 06:04:39 PM »

Problem is, Romney has zero foreign policy experience and he showed that when he smiled about what happened in Libya during that press conference.

And Obama's is, in Libya, at best a muddle, followed by a campaign trip to Las Vegas, party central west.
renegadedemocrat
Rookie

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2012, 06:07:34 PM »

Obama will come back in the next two debates. Plus, Obama has a strong side on foreign policy and I think he'll show up to be quite dominant.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2012, 06:32:09 PM »

I will say this: if Obama loses the second debate, he's in a bad place.  If he loses all three debates, he's as good as finished.

If he loses the debate on foreign policy, he might as well just resign.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2012, 07:03:10 PM »

Obama did not just lose; it is becoming increasingly clear that he was defeated like no president since George H.W. Bush, if not Jimmy Carter. The image they built up about Romney, telling everybody for months that Romney is some kind of risky monster--well, that image was destroyed once and for all (it was merely a figment of Democrats' wild imaginations). As a result, Team Obama has ZERO credibility with Independents now. These Independents were expecting to see Donald Trump versus "Hope and Change." Instead, they saw Reagan Vs. Carter set in 2012. They are startled that they were fooled so badly by Obama's Hype Machine.

To summarize: One, Independents will not be fooled again. Most of them are pretty much lost to Romney moving forward. Two, I do not see how Democrats can get as fired up as Republicans are right now, especially when you consider that there are only four weeks to go. I mean, it's not like Obama's pro-gay marriage plank would legalize gay marriage across the nation, and there's really nothing else there to fire up Democrats moving forward (And Biden killed that momentum tactic back in May). Three, I have never seen Republicans so fired up before, 1980/1984/1994/2004/2010 included.

Bottomline: In the next debate, Obama needs to somehow match or surpass what Romney accomplished in the first debate. He needs THE performance of his entire career. If he fails to do this, the question on everybody's mind will start becoming "how badly will Obama lose?" not "can Obama bounce back?"

So where is Romney's big bounce? Why hasn't he taken the lead yet?

According to Rasmussen, he is in the lead now. Gallup has it as a statistical tie that is trending towards Romney.

All signs point towards a shift, not a bounce, that may last the rest of the campaign.
Ichabod
Kierkegaard
Rookie
Chile

« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2012, 07:09:00 PM »

Rasmussen has had this race closed almost in every time (they had Obama +2, when Gallup had Obama +6).
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2012, 07:52:57 PM »

Yes but not for another 4 years.  Post-debate, Obama is leading every swing state polled by a credible pollster.   Romney's running out of time.
milhouse24
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2012, 08:48:40 PM »

Obama will come back in the next two debates. Plus, Obama has a strong side on foreign policy and I think he'll show up to be quite dominant.

I don't think anyone cares about Foreign policy.

The only way that debate will matter is if Romney says something complete incorrect or stupid. 

Obama is pretty much done, unless he is super-high on charisma in the next debate. 
milhouse24
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2012, 08:51:53 PM »

A couple weeks ago everyone was declaring the race over because of the 47% video, and talking about how Romney would go down as the worst nominee in modern history. Now Obama gives one bad debate performance and people are declaring the race over again. Both are complete overreactions. The fact is, Romney was a big underdog before the debate. Now he's a moderate underdog. The fundamentals of the race still favor Obama.

I think the "real polls" always showed a tight race with even Romney leading a few times over the past few months.  The mainstream media PR really propped up Obama after the DNC and helped his poll numbers, but that was an Obama bubble.  Romney has a very good chance at winning, even if its a close win like in 2000. 
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2012, 09:06:49 PM »

In all fairness, one weekend does not show a trend.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2012, 09:14:08 PM »

Wait, even better idea! Hillary will barge onto the stage of the second debate just as the candidates are walking up, and she pushes Obama away from the podium, quickly and loudly announcing herself as the true Democratic candidate. She announces that she legally changed her name to "Barack Hussein Obama, Jr." in January 2009, and due to some arcane technicality in Constitution she's actually been the President and the Democratic nominee all along. The debate is momentarily put on hold as reporters and fact-checkers verify the claims. She turns out to be correct; Barack Obama burst out in rage and attempts to strangle her, being forcefully removed by security agents. He would later be found guilty for unduly occupying the Oval Office and attempting to murder the President.

The bewildered Mitt loses the debate in a rout due to Hillary's charisma and sheer feminine persuasiveness. The sound clip of the night is Romney confusingly stating, "well- yes, I suppose if- I guess that when you uh- put it that way, Mrs. Clinton, I think I really am a greedy, poor-hating robber baron." This unprecedented defeat leaves Romney trailing badly in the polls; "Mrs Obama"'s lead becomes further intensified after the VP debates where Ryan accidentally says "And Hillary, honest to God, she's even better than JFK" in the middle of a response regarding Biden's Senate record.

Unable to face the transformative and desicive leadership of the Future Leader of the Free World, Republicans nationwide succumb to Hillary's Energy: the Dems ride Hillary's massive coattails to supermajority control of Congress, where they immediately amend the Constitution to make Hillary Clinton president for life.

And thus began the greatest era of freedom and prosperity America will ever know.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2012, 09:18:20 PM »

Newt Gingrich vs. Hillary Clinton 2016!
Hoverbored123
Rookie
United States

« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2012, 11:00:53 PM »

Don't scare me like that! Wink
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2012, 11:08:35 PM »

I think the "real polls" always showed a tight race with even Romney leading a few times over the past few months.  The mainstream media PR really propped up Obama after the DNC and helped his poll numbers, but that was an Obama bubble.  Romney has a very good chance at winning, even if its a close win like in 2000. 

Considering how the media assisted in the hysterical reaction to the debate... it shows what they want is a story... and either candidate imploding is as much a story as a close race...

But, on point, I can't wait until you allege the media being Obama's pocket because they share dealers.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies