Massive movement towards Romney
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:37:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Massive movement towards Romney
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Massive movement towards Romney  (Read 1454 times)
zorkpolitics
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 06, 2012, 05:32:43 PM »

Well considering the country is about 45% Democrat no matter what and 45% Republican no matter what the elections play out in the 10% that are be the swing voters. Thus against a background of a "massive movement".  Before the debates Romney was trailing nationally about 4% and in the swing states by 3 to 7%.  Here are the polls from the last 2 days

Nationally Today
Rasmussen ahead 49-47
Claris ahead 47-46  
Ipsos behind 44-46  (but RV)

And moving ahead in swing states:
Today
Gravis CO ahead 49-46
Wenzel Strategies OH ahead 48-47
PPP WI  behind 49-47 (but Romney was actually ahead of Obama the last day of polling)
Yesterday
We Ask America VA ahead 48-45
We Ask America FL ahead 49-46
We Ask America OH ahead 47-46
Rasmussen VA ahead 49-48
Rasmussen OH behind 49-50
McLaughlin CO ahead 50-46
Gravis NV behind 48-49
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 05:35:41 PM »

I'd like to see some more credible polling firms weigh in, but what I like the most in this is that for just about every poll that's been released, we've seen an improvement for Governor Romney. If the election were today, I think he might win.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 05:43:06 PM »

I'd like to see some more credible polling firms weigh in, but what I like the most in this is that for just about every poll that's been released, we've seen an improvement for Governor Romney. If the election were today, I think he might win.

Or maybe Friday. PPP tweeted just now:

'Other thing I'll say is Saturday interviews we've done for polls across the country look a lot more like our pre-debate than Friday numbers.'

Biden 2024
wolfentoad66
Norfolk Island

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 05:43:31 PM »

You're the first person to notice this.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 05:48:21 PM »

Kerry got a 4 point bump out of his 2004 debate and I suspect we are seeing something similar for Romney and the good news for him is he was only 4 points behind and Kerry was 6 points behind. So Romney may have moved to a tie, but I still think that Obama has an edge in OH, WI and NV and Romney needs to move into +0.5 to 1% to break through one of those. If Romney can win the town hall debate, I think he could win the election.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 05:48:39 PM »

Or maybe Friday. PPP tweeted just now:

'Other thing I'll say is Saturday interviews we've done for polls across the country look a lot more like our pre-debate than Friday numbers.'

Which is quite similar to Reuters response. There had to be a heavy Romney sample on Friday, but today Reuters basically saw no movement for Mitt.

Mitt got a bounce(mainly due to more enthusiasm from the GOP base).....but he didn't shift anything.

If he dominates Obama in the 2nd debate then watch out........
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 05:52:12 PM »

As much as massive movement would please me, I think it's a bit too early for anyone to jump to conclusions.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 05:55:57 PM »

...I still think that Obama has an edge in OH, WI and NV and Romney needs to move into +0.5 to 1% to break through one of those. If Romney can win the town hall debate, I think he could win the election.

Those three are the key, and NV isn't worrisome at all as it is not so very white.  Really Ohio is the scary one.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 06:00:16 PM »

...I still think that Obama has an edge in OH, WI and NV and Romney needs to move into +0.5 to 1% to break through one of those. If Romney can win the town hall debate, I think he could win the election.

Those three are the key, and NV isn't worrisome at all as it is not so very white.  Really Ohio is the scary one.

going to my ignore list. I will just assume all responses are are "racists will sweep Romney into office"
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 06:01:27 PM »

Yeah, opebo racist rant is getting to be as annoying as politico threads.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 06:13:40 PM »

The current situation is not analogous to 2004. In 2004, a strong majority expected Kerry to out-debate Bush, which happened. In contrast, everybody except Winfield and I expected Obama to clean Romney's clocks. The exact opposite happened. CNN's polling dating back to 1984 never showed over 60% of viewers declaring somebody the winner of a debate. Romney achieved 67%. Absolutely devastating for Obama..
Ty440
GoldenBoy
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 06:26:48 PM »

going to my ignore list. I will just assume all responses are are "racists will sweep Romney into office"

Basically that's what all his responses are.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 10:52:33 PM »

It's a really telling measure of how persistently close this race is that a movement of two points one way or the other appears genuinely "massive."
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2012, 11:42:28 PM »

Kerry got a 4 point bump out of his 2004 debate and I suspect we are seeing something similar for Romney and the good news for him is he was only 4 points behind and Kerry was 6 points behind. So Romney may have moved to a tie, but I still think that Obama has an edge in OH, WI and NV and Romney needs to move into +0.5 to 1% to break through one of those. If Romney can win the town hall debate, I think he could win the election.

Considering historically, how horrible Romney is in such formats that aren't "pre-arranged/scripted", a Romney win in such a venue would probably cause significant move for him.

I think that the last debate is most important. Regardless of what happens in the first two on mostly domestic stuff, if Mittens comes off like an idiot who can't be trusted with the nukes, Obama will have this locked up similar to how FDR won 1940 on foriegn policy/national security.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2012, 11:46:06 PM »

On the flipside though, if Romney's performance even polls even with Obama's at that debate, it will not be a good sign for the president. Foreign policy is all he's got.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2012, 11:47:32 PM »

On the flipside though, if Romney's performance even polls even with Obama's at that debate, it will not be a good sign for the president. Foreign policy is all he's got.

Libya will be a problem.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2012, 12:01:21 AM »

Evidence pointing toward a massive movement: some crappy polls, but lots of them, all telling a consistent story.

Evidence pointing toward a modest bounce: a PPP poll that hasn't come yet.

The fact is, guys, we have no means to know what's actually happening. This could go anywhere from Romney +1 to Romney +5.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2012, 12:09:02 AM »

Evidence pointing toward a massive movement: some crappy polls, but lots of them, all telling a consistent story.

Evidence pointing toward a modest bounce: a PPP poll that hasn't come yet.

Well, we have some shifting to Romney on Gallup (weakly) and Rasmussen (strongly).

You must be logged in to read this quote.

We have seen a 5 point shift on PPP  in WI.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2012, 12:23:44 AM »
« Edited: October 07, 2012, 01:36:09 AM by Politico »

Any word yet on Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Oregon?

I had been saying for weeks that the debate would go well, but even I am in awe...
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2012, 12:27:56 AM »
« Edited: October 07, 2012, 01:32:05 AM by Politico »

Libya will be a problem.

Another thing the Democrats are foolishly clinging to: The hope that Romney only prepared for one debate.

The fact of the matter is that Romney spent an unprecedented amount of time and resources preparing for all three debates. Now anything can happen in the next two debates, but I've said it before and I'll say it again (now that it may no longer fall on deaf ears): Romney is a man on a mission. He is, quite simply, the political version of Rambo/Rocky.

The type of dedication to language arts and psychology is impressive enough, especially for a Republican campaign. But, most important of all, the Romney campaign is thinking at the margin every which way possible. They're running myriad econometric models, using linear programming principles with regards to applied resources before and on Election Day, etc.--the types of things that the Chicago guys in the Obama camp could never comprehend, let alone match, even if they spent the next four years studying the work. And Romney is the leader behind it all, the one man that everybody on the team would do anything for...
Hoverbored123
Rookie
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2012, 08:04:00 AM »

Only time will tell what the full effect of the debate is, but it's impossible to deny that Romney did himself some good.  To be fair, part of it may be due to expectations, but after re-watching part of the debate tonight, I've concluded that Romney did a legitimately good job, even if not at the Reagan-in-'80 level.  What impressed me most about it was how effectively he came back from each attack and accusation the president put out, making clear points of his own, not to mention that he was more relaxed and confident.  The president's body language was not at all reassuring; like Jimmy Carter in 1980, he talked like a "loser" (strictly in terms of body language, mind you). 

The strength of Romney's performance was not only style-wise; he made substantive points that viewers seemed to connect with.  He dispelled a lot of hearsay about him being an emotionless plutocrat and proved himself to be a viable alternative to Obama in the minds of viewers.  For this reason, I think the comparison to 1980 is a least somewhat apt.  Also, I don't think this is just a "bounce," personally; with this debate, Romney has fundamentally shifted people's perception of himself in a way that will help him enormously. 

A Romney victory is far from a done deal, but I'm convinced it's more than possible. 
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2012, 08:34:39 AM »

Libya will be a problem.

Another thing the Democrats are foolishly clinging to: The hope that Romney only prepared for one debate.

No -- just some well-polished lies and denials for which nobody can prepare as well as regurgitation of the usual appeals from right-wing groups such as the National Chamber of Commerce. Romney had scrupulously avoided the latter, but he latched onto such a right-wing corporate appeal as 'broaden the base of taxation'. In essence, that is an appeal for a flat tax and probably the repeal of the Earned Income Tax Credit.

He was losing, and badly. Voters were ignoring him. So he put effort into an attempt to change the game. It is a high-risk gamble, and in theory it could work.

Sure, he is a man on a mission. His place in history as rescuer of America from economic, cultural, and political decline. At times the treatment offered is worse than the ailment. 

But is America on his team? Mitt has deep-pocket backers, and they can use econometric models and linear programming to his effort at will because nobody owns those. Somehow I think that President Obama has used those first and has better refined them.   
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2012, 08:46:45 AM »

Obama has dropped from around 87% to around 80% on 538.  That might qualify as massive, but it's nothing to get too worked up over yet.  If the other 3 debates all produce 7 point drops in win probability too, we'll have a real horserace.
Earthling
Netherlands

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2012, 09:48:31 AM »

Obama needs a good second debate to get back to where he was before the first debate. If he does, he will probably win, if he fails, he will probably lose.

I am certain that Obama knows the stakes.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2012, 01:26:51 PM »

Obama has dropped from around 87% to around 80% on 538.  That might qualify as massive, but it's nothing to get too worked up over yet.  If the other 3 debates all produce 7 point drops in win probability too, we'll have a real horserace.

The 538 forecast model, as well-designed as it is, is not really able to grasp sudden and massive trends (that's not what I say, that's what Nate says). It is likely that Obama's position is overestimated right now.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies