Congressman: "Evolution, Big Bang Theory, lies straight from the pit of hell!"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:05:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Congressman: "Evolution, Big Bang Theory, lies straight from the pit of hell!"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Congressman: "Evolution, Big Bang Theory, lies straight from the pit of hell!"  (Read 2635 times)
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2012, 11:18:57 PM »

I think Republicans should be banned from the Science Committee.

Let's not get carried away. Sad
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2012, 11:22:16 PM »

I don't know about that, but maybe a litmus test on evolution/women's anatomy/climate change views should be considered.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2012, 11:53:21 PM »
« Edited: October 06, 2012, 11:38:00 AM by Madisonian for Mittens! »

I don't know about that, but maybe a litmus test on evolution/women's anatomy/climate change views should be considered.

Perhaps if we can add a litmus test on genetically modified organisms and nuclear energy.

Edit: Typo fixed Tongue
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2012, 12:04:23 AM »

I'm actually quite happy I endorsed this guy in 2007, in addition to actually occasionally being right on an issue (like medical marijuana) he's also been incredibly entertaining otherwise (like now). His opponent would just be a generic right wing backbencher who'd be wrong on everything and very boring.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2012, 04:58:50 AM »

Yeah, this guy is in Congress in large part due to Democratic votes in his first R vs R, special election.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2012, 06:44:58 AM »

Perhaps have the science committee comprised of the members of the House who gained the highest scores on the SAT Subject Tests in Biology, Chemistry, and Physics.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2012, 10:26:22 AM »

Perhaps if we can add a litmus test on generically modified organisms and nuclear energy.

Should I be worried that I initially read that reply as referring to a litmus test on "genetically modified orgasms"?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2012, 11:28:16 AM »

Perhaps if we can add a litmus test on generically modified organisms and nuclear energy.

Should I be worried that I initially read that reply as referring to a litmus test on "genetically modified orgasms"?

No, I did the same. That's probably what he meant anyways. The r key is right next to the t on they keyboard, so likely a typo.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2012, 11:35:33 AM »

That's not the only change Ernie made. -_-
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2012, 11:47:53 AM »
« Edited: October 06, 2012, 11:50:40 AM by Torie »

To be fair, The Big Bang Theory is awful.

Really?  Why do you think that?  It seems to be the leading theory these days, with substantial evidence backing it up. I just got a refresher course went I went to watch a program at the Griffith Park Planetarium in LA a few months ago.

The "problem" of course for these folks is that they resent it when science gets in the way of a literalist interpretation of the Bible. They simply won't stand for that. And it is totally futile to try to persuade them otherwise. You just need to bounce them from Congress. They are incorrigible, and not rehabilitatable, and thus need to be kicked off the island.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2012, 11:57:28 AM »

Let's not get carried away. Sad

Muon is an example that a man of science can be a Republican. Unfortunately, his party colleagues tend to primary those.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2012, 01:17:34 PM »
« Edited: October 06, 2012, 02:25:05 PM by memphis »

Really?  Why do you think that?  It seems to be the leading theory these days, with substantial evidence backing it up. I just got a refresher course went I went to watch a program at the Griffith Park Planetarium in LA a few months ago.

The "problem" of course for these folks is that they resent it when science gets in the way of a literalist interpretation of the Bible. They simply won't stand for that. And it is totally futile to try to persuade them otherwise. You just need to bounce them from Congress. They are incorrigible, and not rehabilitatable, and thus need to be kicked off the island.

Careful. I received death points for questioning religion. The mod squad deemed it "inappropriate."
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2012, 03:01:50 PM »

Although I live elsewhere for school I'm sadly still registered to vote in Broun's district Sad Remember, this is also the guy that compared Obama to Hitler and claimed the Committee on American-Islamic Relations was a group of terrorist-sympathizers and spies.

Yeah, this guy is in Congress in large part due to Democratic votes in his first R vs R, special election.

To be fair, that really didn't have much to do with Broun personally. Most Democrats in the district were centered in the college town of Athens, which was Broun's hometown (his opponent Jim Whitehead lived two hours away in the Augusta suburbs). Broun won 90% of the vote in Athens because he was a local, because Whitehead called the University of Georgia "a liberal bastion, and all of it except the football team should be eliminated," and because Broun's dad (Paul Broun Sr.) was a Democratic State Senator who represented Athens for like forty years.

Really?  Why do you think that?  It seems to be the leading theory these days, with substantial evidence backing it up. I just got a refresher course went I went to watch a program at the Griffith Park Planetarium in LA a few months ago.

I believe Xahar is talking about this:

Tongue
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2012, 03:28:23 PM »

He's talking about the sitcom of the same name.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2012, 04:09:30 PM »

Oh. Never heard of it.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2012, 04:10:58 PM »

Careful. I received death points for questioning religion. The mod squad deemed it "inappropriate."

The mods don't give the Torie man death points. Tongue  Anyway, what I stated is factual. Cheers.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2012, 04:17:47 PM »

Oh. Never heard of it.

Sign of a good man.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2012, 04:27:20 PM »

You just need to bounce them from Congress.

You're dreaming, Torie.  These gents are bouncing your sort from Congress.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2012, 04:39:57 PM »

You know what?  If I had run for and won a City Council seat after serving on the planning commission or something, I bet if I were willing to shave my net worth by a fair amount, I could both win the primary and the general in my CD if the seat were open. Yes, that sounds egomaniacal, but that is what I really think. You help to shape public opinion, and in all events, even if folks disagree with you on this or that, if you show you are strong on some things that matter, and might actually make a difference in Congress, they will respect you, and give you a bye if you deviate from the mantra on this or that.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2012, 04:44:00 PM »

You know what?  If I had run for and won a City Council seat after serving on the planning commission or something, I bet if I were willing to shave my net worth by a fair amount, I could both win the primary and the general in my CD if the seat were open. Yes, that sounds egomaniacal, but that is what I really think. You help to shape public opinion, and in all events, even if folks disagree with you on this or that, if you show you are strong on some things that matter, and might actually make a difference in Congress, they will respect you, and give you a bye if you deviate from the mantra on this or that.

Well I didn't mean you literally, rather just the sort of congressman you might prefer, who have been rapidly disappearing from your chosen party.  But good for you for considering getting involved.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2012, 03:47:07 AM »

Read between the lines: Torie just explained why he can stay in these people's party. They are strong on the things that really matter - ie their economic thinking is on the same intellectual level as their scientific thinking, which will make him even richer - and therefore he respects them and gives them a bye even though they deviate from his mantra on everything else.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2012, 04:02:07 PM »

Read between the lines: Torie just explained why he can stay in these people's party. They are strong on the things that really matter - ie their economic thinking is on the same intellectual level as their scientific thinking, which will make him even richer - and therefore he respects them and gives them a bye even though they deviate from his mantra on everything else.

Somewhere along the line your post went off the rails a bit. Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2012, 01:02:25 PM »

Somewhere along the line your post went off the rails a bit. Smiley
Oh no. I'm seeing right through you. Grin
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2012, 02:15:48 PM »

Oh. Never heard of it.

Now you have.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2012, 04:07:15 PM »

Why is it even called Science Committee anyway ? Wouldn't those kind of Republicans have wanted to change that name at any point ? Like the "Religion, Science and other theories Committee" ?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies