Re: Arkansas GOPer: Slavery was a blessing in disguise for blacks (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:28:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Re: Arkansas GOPer: Slavery was a blessing in disguise for blacks (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Re: Arkansas GOPer: Slavery was a blessing in disguise for blacks  (Read 6785 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: October 09, 2012, 09:58:20 AM »

From that guy's Wikipedia article:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

What the...
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 06:53:31 PM »

Please name a former segregationist who is both still 1-alive and 2-of any influence whatsoever in the modern day Democratic Party.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 09:30:51 PM »

Never mind that Lincoln was a Republican, or that it was Republicans who fought to end slavery and grant citizenship to blacks...

Oh Gawd.  Every single time with these right wing shills.  Seriously you have to go all the way back to the 1800s to find a Republican platform that is semicivilized?

Never mind indeed. These people are Republicans today. They wouldn't have been a hundred years ago, of course, but that was a hundred years ago.
George Wallace...

Mmmm... George Wallace is dead.  Furthermore how are you so well versed about what was going on in Lincoln's day but have no clue about the 70s?  Just to get you up to speed...

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

How on earth do you not know this?  What are they teaching in schools these days?  Or are you a victim of home schooling?
I did know that, but he stayed a Democrat even after that.  Those guys may be dead and gone, but doesn't it still matter that they were Democrats (and never became Republicans)?  I bet you wouldn't be excusing unsavory figures in the GOP by saying "those people are dead."

Actually yes I would. I would consider it absurd to argue that someone should not vote Republican because it was the party of Joe McCarthy. Even Jesse Helms would be irrelevant today. I can think of hordes of living and still relevant people in the GOP that are the reason I would advise someone to never vote Republican and why I never would, just as you can no doubt name many modern Democrats you strongly dislike and would never vote for. And that's the only thing that should matter in modern day context. What you are talking about is about as logical as trying to organize boycotts of Germany because of WWII and the Holocaust. Modern day Germany bears as much resemblance to Nazi Germany as the modern day Democratic Party does to the party in the 19th century or the guys you are raving about.

Please name a former segregationist who is both still 1-alive and 2-of any influence whatsoever in the modern day Democratic Party.

Jimmy Carter

The guy who declared in his inaugural speech when elected Governor that the era of segregation was over and he would do everything to prevent racial discrimination and appointed many blacks to offices? He might've been a State Senator for a couple years before the Civil Rights Act but he obviously wasn't someone out arguing and fighting for segregation like the guys Oldiesfreak keeps bringing up.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 11:48:02 PM »

For the record the "Confederate Jesus" guy looks like his district might've voted for Gore, so he's likely done. The state party's already disowned him and announced he's not getting any money (along with the other two clowns who made the news lately, though I'm not as familiar with their districts.)
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 10:17:31 AM »

I've never seen anyone cite Joe McCarthy as a reason to not support the modern GOP.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 12:10:24 PM »

If someone wanted to argue the Republican party is corrupt and scheming because of Nixon, I'd consider that absurd. There's hordes of modern examples though. Now can you name any active segregationists in the Democratic Party?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 05:29:58 PM »

And before you say that that was in the past: would you give the same grace to Republicans for some of the nativists in the party back in the late 19th century?

Yes.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 06:35:02 PM »

Oldiesfreak, do you believe the modern day German state and government is responsible for the actions of Germany in the past? Would you agree with someone boycotting Germany because of WWII?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 11:14:39 PM »

Oldiesfreak, do you believe the modern day German state and government is responsible for the actions of Germany in the past? Would you agree with someone boycotting Germany because of WWII?
Does it not matter to you that Germany under the Nazis committed atrocities against Jews, Gypsies, homosexuals, and other "inferior" or "unwanted" groups during the Holocaust?

Does it matter, yes. Does it matter when judging modern Germany, no.

Exactly. And I seriously don't know where this guy is going from in saying that people hold the same standard toward Republicans, I have never heard anyone say the main reason they are a Democrat is the 19th century Republican nativists, or because of Joe McCarthy or Richard Nixon. With the hordes of reasons there are to vote against the modern day GOP I'd find anyone citing THOSE as reasons to be rather comical.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies