Who will win the V.P Debate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:38:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Who will win the V.P Debate?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Who will come out on top?
Joe Biden

Paul Ryan

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 67

Author Topic: Who will win the V.P Debate?  (Read 1776 times)
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 05, 2012, 05:40:55 PM »

Biden may pull this off because he was in office for a long time. since Ryan was in diapers!
Svensson
NVTownsend

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 05:45:32 PM »

Easily Ryan, and it doesn't even matter much your opinion of the man. Biden is a bumbling gaffe on legs and has been for a very long time.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 05:47:09 PM »

Biden will.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 06:47:11 PM »

I think it'll be a wash. We already know Ryan is way faster on his feet than Biden, but that's the issue. Everyone knows.

Biden isn't as embarrassingly incompetent as some people suspect. Woodward's new book even painted a picture of a VP who was significantly more competent than his president

Ryan will probably 'win', but Biden will very likely exceed expectations, so I'm thinking a wash. A lot like the 2008 VP debate in reverse.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 06:48:17 PM »

Ryan will probably 'win', but Biden will very likely exceed expectations, so I'm thinking a wash. A lot like the 2008 VP debate in reverse.
^
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 08:51:31 PM »

Probably Ryan, though Biden has the potential to trip him up.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 09:03:43 PM »

Ryan, but it will have little effect.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 09:04:52 PM »

Probably Ryan, though Biden has the potential to trip him up.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 09:09:15 PM »

I am far more competent in Joe Biden's ability to win a debate than Barack Obamas.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 09:10:12 PM »

Weren't there some reports that Joe is considering 2016? If there's even a glimmer of truth to that, that'd give him more motivation to show up.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 09:13:56 PM »

Based on his convention speech, my guess is that Ryan will look like the apparent winner immediately after the debate ... and then the fact-checking will start.
milhouse24
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 02:05:43 PM »

I think Angry Joe Biden will come out Guns Blazing.  He's a loud speaker, and he will win the Headlines with his attacks on Romney.  He'll attack Romney for being rich and out of touch.  Biden has no qualms about using the 47% line.  He'll attack Bain. 

But the worse thing Biden can do is have a senior senile moment, and say something completely Crazy or Incorrect, that can also doom the Obama campaign.  But basically, Biden is practicing his Zingers like "verb, noun, and 9-11" and his bad or awful jokes. 

All Ryan needs to do is focus on being calm, smart, and a supporter of the unemployed Middle Class.
As long as Ryan doesn't say anything about cutting Medicare, Social Security, or anything in the Ryan budget and just run away from the Ryan budget, then he will have done enough to keep the supporters for Romney. 

All Ryan needs to do is present himself as a working-class Catholic guy from the midwest.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012, 02:09:17 PM »

I think Angry Joe Biden will come out Guns Blazing.  He's a loud speaker, and he will win the Headlines with his attacks on Romney.  He'll attack Romney for being rich and out of touch.  Biden has no qualms about using the 47% line.  He'll attack Bain. 

But the worse thing Biden can do is have a senior senile moment, and say something completely Crazy or Incorrect, that can also doom the Obama campaign.  But basically, Biden is practicing his Zingers like "verb, noun, and 9-11" and his bad or awful jokes. 

All Ryan needs to do is focus on being calm, smart, and a supporter of the unemployed Middle Class.
As long as Ryan doesn't say anything about cutting Medicare, Social Security, or anything in the Ryan budget and just run away from the Ryan budget, then he will have done enough to keep the supporters for Romney. 

All Ryan needs to do is present himself as a working-class Catholic guy from the midwest.
So all he has to do is abandon all of his life's work and not be Paul Ryan and he'll win?
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2012, 02:12:51 PM »

So all he has to do is abandon all of his life's work and not be Paul Ryan and he'll win?

And Biden needs to avoid strange-sounding gaffes.

So the conclusion reached in this thread is that both candidates need to try as hard as possible to be different people. Not hard in politics.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2012, 02:17:45 PM »

Biden will 'win'. Debates are more than anything about expectations and everyone expects Ryan to wipe the floor with Biden. But he won't because Biden the debater is much better than Biden the campaigner.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2012, 02:18:14 PM »

I predicted Romney would win the first debate (although I didnt think Obama would do so badly). He had tons of prep and challengers generally do well. I predict Biden will win VP. In this case there is a generational thing with the elder statesman schooling the kid like Bentson v Quayle and Cheney v Edwards.  Also Biden showed game in 2008 Dem primary debates and he just has more experience speaking to a general audience (Ryan hasn't even had to run statewide and has mostly been in the conservative media bubble).

But I dont think it will be a blowout and it wont really effect the race, more just entertainment.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2012, 04:12:25 PM »

And Biden needs to avoid strange-sounding gaffes.

So the conclusion reached in this thread is that both candidates need to try as hard as possible to be different people. Not hard in politics.
Rooney
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2012, 04:27:24 PM »

If Biden can make it through the debate without saying the "F" word or insulting an ethnic group he will win. Thus, Ryan will win the debate.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2012, 04:32:10 PM »

I heart Joe Biden, but Ryan will.....I do hope Joe drops an F bomb.....
renegadedemocrat
Rookie

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2012, 05:17:05 PM »

It's Biden's to lose. If it's a pure debate, Biden's going to win, but if one of his gaffes come up, then Ryan will win.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2012, 08:39:54 PM »

CNN poll shows 55% pick Ryan to win, 39% pick Biden to win.

Ryan will look young yet sound experienced, vigorous, attractive, and sound knowledgeable and in control of the facts.  A fresh face.

Ryan wins.

milhouse24
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2012, 08:56:17 PM »

CNN poll shows 55% pick Ryan to win, 39% pick Biden to win.

Ryan will look young yet sound experienced, vigorous, attractive, and sound knowledgeable and in control of the facts.  A fresh face.

Ryan wins.

I read some where that Young women are often late deciders.  I think Paul Ryan can win a few % of under-35 women voters if he shows of his awesome abs!  But I think Edwards proved you need more than a pretty face and that Paul needs to sound smart and calm. 
milhouse24
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2012, 11:28:08 PM »

Yeah, that's politics you have to be willing to change to popular policies sometimes.  But Paul Ryan is running with Mitt Romney's vision, not his own.  He doesn't want to appear to be an extremist and scare away voters.  Didn't Obama claim to be a "new bipartisan politician", LOL.  Instead he decided to pursue left-wing policies and voters rejected those Democrat proposals in the 2010 election.  We'll have to see if voters will again reject the left-wing policies in 2012. 
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2012, 11:30:26 PM »
« Edited: October 07, 2012, 11:32:52 PM by Former President Polnut »

Romney had the advantage of being so slippery and having no shame, that he can easily apply the etch-a-sketch.... Ryan has a MUCH harder time in doing that, he's utterly tied to his record, and since Romney had tied himself to Ryan's Budget... it's going to be a very hard... and I doubt Biden is going to be as soft on Ryan as Obama was on Romney.
milhouse24
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2012, 11:34:40 PM »

It's Biden's to lose. If it's a pure debate, Biden's going to win, but if one of his gaffes come up, then Ryan will win.

I'm more interested in seeing debates as PR vehicles for candidates to talk directly to voters.  

I'm not interested in seeing a combative debate meant to "score points."  Master Debaters who appear too aggressive will be seen as mean and unlikeable.  I think Biden can appear buffoonish but he won't be attacking Ryan, he'll be attacking an invisible Romney; and Ryan will be forced to defend Romney's policies and history.  But then again, Ryan can attack Obama.

But Ryan's main goal will be to talk about helping the forgotten Middle class.  

It will be interesting to see how it plays out and which will receive more headlines:
"Biden's repetitive attacks on Romney" or "Paul Ryan's compassion for Middle Class Americans"  

Paul Ryan is newer, so the Media might be willing to focus on whatever he says, just as long as he doesn't make a mistake.  
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies