Who will win the V.P Debate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:49:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Who will win the V.P Debate?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Who will come out on top?
Joe Biden

Paul Ryan

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 67

Author Topic: Who will win the V.P Debate?  (Read 1780 times)
Averroës Nix
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2012, 11:36:28 PM »

Despite my confidence in Biden as a debater, I'm beginning to worry that Ryan will win this by confidently stating made-up numbers.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2012, 11:38:43 PM »

Despite my confidence in Biden as a debater, I'm beginning to worry that Ryan will win this by confidently stating made-up numbers.

Well, one level of similarity between Romney and Ryan that has developed during this campaign is that they have no shame in just outright lying... not 'creative interpretations' which are normal from both sides in campaigns... but flat-out falsehoods...
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2012, 11:44:36 PM »

Ryan probably. The biggest bullet the Democrats need to dodge is Biden not making some egregious gaffe.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2012, 11:53:27 PM »

CNN poll shows 55% pick Ryan to win, 39% pick Biden to win.

Ryan will look young yet sound experienced, vigorous, attractive, and sound knowledgeable and in control of the facts.  A fresh face.

Ryan wins.

I read some where that Young women are often late deciders.  I think Paul Ryan can win a few % of under-35 women voters if he shows of his awesome abs!  But I think Edwards proved you need more than a pretty face and that Paul needs to sound smart and calm. 

For God's sake, why don't you just shut the f**k up?
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2012, 01:08:53 AM »

Ryan will look young yet sound experienced, vigorous, attractive, and sound knowledgeable and in control of the facts.  A fresh face.

Ryan wins.

I read some where that Young women are often late deciders.  I think Paul Ryan can win a few % of under-35 women voters if he shows of his awesome abs!  But I think Edwards proved you need more than a pretty face and that Paul needs to sound smart and calm. 

Don't forget about Biden's Scranton Cannons:

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2012/07/08/opinion/sunday/the-strip.html#1
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2012, 01:12:27 AM »

Biden will win this, because he can go very aggressively after Mitt Romney's lies from the first minute of the debate, since he doesn't have the potential race implications that could haunt Obama.
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2012, 04:38:56 AM »

Option 3: even.

Because they are so different, each of them will be declared the winner thanks to one apsect or the other of the debate.

And because VPs and VP debates are almost useless in a presidential election...
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2012, 05:19:16 AM »

Ryan, duh.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2012, 05:22:19 AM »

Objectively on content? Biden without any doubt.
In the opinion polls afterwards? Dunno. Maybe Biden if he can show how full of s**t Ryan is and avoid gaffes.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2012, 05:34:15 AM »

Ryan on content, Biden on style... Ryan must show due respect to Biden to avoid appearing a brat
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2012, 05:46:07 AM »

I am far more competent in Joe Biden's ability to win a debate than Barack Obamas.

I think you mean 'confident', n'est-ce pas?

I'm thinking that Biden will seem more likeable.  About the 'debate' who knows, I doubt that content is important.
milhouse24
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2012, 12:12:31 PM »

Ryan wins.

For God's sake, why don't you just shut the f**k up?

Why don't you just ban yourself, you vulger Obama hack troll.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2012, 12:14:49 PM »

I am far more competent in Joe Biden's ability to win a debate than Barack Obamas.

I think you mean 'confident', n'est-ce pas?

I'm thinking that Biden will seem more likeable.  About the 'debate' who knows, I doubt that content is important.

You're right, content probably isn't the most important thing......the golden rule of cause no harm is priority #1 for both of these guys.  It's just harder for Biden because he can't STFU......
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2012, 12:24:47 PM »

Sure he'll sound knowledgeable, but he'll be lying through his sculpted abs and biceps.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2012, 12:39:24 PM »

Sure he'll sound knowledgeable, but he'll be lying through his sculpted abs and biceps.

Is he actually muscular?  He just looks like a skinny, pale twerp with five-o'clock shadow on TV.  Biden's an enormously more handsome man.
Cobbler
United States

« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2012, 01:10:59 PM »

Biden will win this one. The pressure will be on him to make up for the last debate, so he's going to try to perform at his peak. Also, unlike Obama, Biden is actually a good debater, and is able to be aggressive and come up with zingers against his opponents better than the President. I also get the sense that Ryan, if facing an aggressive Biden, will get flustered when trying to defend some of the less accurate parts of his argument. When Chris Wallace pressed him on things in the plan, he struggled. I don't think he's used to being challenged, and Biden will definitely challenge him.

Also, Biden is honestly more likeable than Ryan. He comes off as a straight shooter and is much more passionate sounding than Romney, Obama, and Ryan.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2012, 04:18:31 PM »

Ryan, but it's dangerous.  Biden is a pretty bad fit for an opponent because he doesn't purport to be much of an intellectual in the first place.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2012, 04:41:47 PM »

Ryan will win, but Biden will exceed expectations, so it'll pretty much be a wash.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2012, 05:04:53 PM »

I have faith in Biden. He's a much better debater than Obama (or Romney for that matter).

I actually think there's a pretty good chance he could win decisively. Although it's kind of hard to predict how well Ryan will actually perform, so we'll see.

Biden has definitely already won the expectations game too, which is a big plus (thanks to the media's portrayal of him as a bigmouth goofball and their portrayal of Ryan as some kind of boy genius).
milhouse24
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2012, 05:09:59 PM »

I actually think Ryan should just not say much, and just let Biden talk the WHOLE time.  The more Biden speaks, the more likely he will make a huge mistake, and he might also sound like a BULLY.  Which would hurt Obama worse.  Biden may come off as more desperate, to keep Obama's campaign from losing.  Biden will attack Romney hard, and I'm sure many voters will take notice and doubt their vote for Romney. 

Ryan will need to remind voters about how the "Middle Class has been crushed the last 4 years" and how awful the Obama presidency has been.  He might not be skilled enough to make this point across. 

But the best strategy would be to just let Biden talk and talk and talk. 
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2012, 05:11:15 PM »

I know that usually VP debates have no real effect on the polls, but in this case a strong Biden showing could help Obama, as he is very white and and has a common touch - really just the sort who might help to bridge the gap to those now-Romney leaning working class white swing voters.  I'm quite sure most of them will never swing back, but if even a very few did, the racist strategy would be defeated.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2012, 05:14:03 PM »

Both of them have traps to avoid: Biden has to avoid gaffes, Ryan can't get too wonky and defensive about his own plans. Both of them will to a certain extent be aiming at the other man's running mate and not each other.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2012, 05:54:51 PM »

Ryan will clean Biden's clock easily.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies