This is actually looking somewhat similar to the 1980 "final week"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:01:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  This is actually looking somewhat similar to the 1980 "final week"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: This is actually looking somewhat similar to the 1980 "final week"  (Read 1614 times)
renegadedemocrat
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2012, 01:54:48 PM »

The comparisons to 1980 are weak and not accurate. As was previously stated, with Obama's approval ratings at a modest range and with a growing economy, as shown by the jobs report, it's not 1980. Plus, Romney isn't as likable as Reagan. Reagan could win over voters with his personality and ability to connect, in contrast to Romney, who is still out-of-touch, and doesn't really have a likable personality. This race will be tighter, but the President will win.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2012, 01:58:57 PM »

Mondale - too incompetent being part of Carter's presidency
Dole - too old and not viable
Kerry - came the closest, but still seen by midwest Americans as an out-of-touch weak flip-flopping northeast liberal.

Also, GW Bush had a strong floor of voters at 51%.  These are the voters that supported Bush in 2000.

I agree with this. Many of the ones who voted for Bush in 2004 who did not vote for Bush in 2000 were swayed by the last-minute DUI revelation, which convinced them to stay home. Some others had a hard time voting against Gore simply because of the obvious economic successes of the Clinton/Gore years. However, the race was going to be lopsided landslide for Bush until the DUI came out.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Actually, Gore was really a center or center-right Democrat on every issue other than the environment. And he totally downplayed his environmentalism in 2000.

Yeah, Obama is in a world of trouble. It is hard to see him beating the Republicans at the turnout operation. Anything is possible, especially when you consider the Chicago Way being "vote early and vote often."
And get the dead vote out.

As for the 1980 comparisons, they're not entirely unfounded, but I have some words of caution: the electoral map is much more favorable to Dems than in 1980.  Illinois was a swing state in the 80s but is solidly Democrat at the national level now; likewise, California was similar (maybe even leaning Republican) but is now solidly Democrat in national elections.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2012, 02:04:23 PM »
« Edited: October 07, 2012, 02:08:12 PM by Politico »

The comparisons to 1980 are weak and not accurate. As was previously stated, with Obama's approval ratings at a modest range and with a growing economy, as shown by the jobs report, it's not 1980

It's either 1976 or 1980. We have yet to see which.

Missed the debate, I take it? Romney even beat Obama on likeability among viewers of the debate...

Without his teleprompter, Obama is a hopeless beggar of change...
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2012, 02:17:43 PM »

Guys, some racists voted for Obama in 2008 - that's why he won.  He got well over 40% of the white vote.  Obviously quite a lot of those are racist (to be honest I've never met a white who wasn't at least somewhat racist), and now that they've forgotten about what Republicans do to the economy they're a'comin' home to the GOP. 

Are you racist then, opebo? You've said yourself that you're white.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2012, 07:05:23 AM »

Guys, some racists voted for Obama in 2008 - that's why he won.  He got well over 40% of the white vote.  Obviously quite a lot of those are racist (to be honest I've never met a white who wasn't at least somewhat racist), and now that they've forgotten about what Republicans do to the economy they're a'comin' home to the GOP. 

Are you racist then, opebo? You've said yourself that you're white.

Good lord yes!  I'm full of faults, but none of them are 'my fault'.
Hoverbored123
Rookie
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2012, 10:24:35 AM »

To be honest, Obama has enough strength in the big cities that he can rely on New York, California and Illinois to go his way.  The beauty of it (from a Republican standpoint) is that he can still lose big even with these states on his side.  For all I know it could be a nail-biter or a total rout.  There are too many unknowns to say for sure how it'll turn out. 
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2012, 12:09:51 PM »

To be honest, Obama has enough strength in the big cities that he can rely on New York, California and Illinois to go his way. 
For all I know it could be a nail-biter or a total rout.  There are too many unknowns to say for sure how it'll turn out. 

Well duh  you answered your own questoin - a total rout for Obama, given Romney's racist campaign and Obama's assailed-minority floor, is not at all likely.

The beauty of it (from a Republican standpoint) is that he can still lose big even with these states on his side.

Is the right-wing design and intent of the electoral college news to you?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies