Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 25, 2014, 06:18:25 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  International General Discussion (Moderators: Peter, afleitch)
| | |-+  Is the papacy an elective monarchy or a presidency for life?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Poll
Question: Is the papacy an elective monarchy or a presidency for life?
Elective monarchy   -25 (78.1%)
Presidency for life   -7 (21.9%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: Is the papacy an elective monarchy or a presidency for life?  (Read 749 times)
Simfan34
YaBB God
Ghana

View Profile
« on: October 05, 2012, 10:58:47 pm »
Ignore

Of course, the proper answer is "neither- it's a sui generis post", but if you had to compare to something, would it be one or the other? Yes, the pope might have worn a crown, robes, and carries an ordinal, but if Obama wore a crown and was known as "His Elective Majesty, President Barack I", would it really be any different. The papacy today is a post elected from one's fellows, many of which come from ordinary backgrounds and rose to their position through a process accessible by any man, not through heredity as many other elective monarchies are/were (HRE, Malaysia). The pope today is far more "presidential" in his role- leading an organization actively- than most monarchs.

Scottish Robb Stark
Antonio V
YaBB God
France

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 12:25:58 am »
Ignore

The difference is in their moral status. The President is a magistrate chosen by a group of people to perform duties on their behalf. The Monarch is considered as an individual placed above the others by a transcendent legitimacy. Thus, papacy clearly falls into the monarchic category.

Robb of the House Stark, First of his Name, Lord of Winterfell and King in the North

Quote from: IRC
22:15   ComradeSibboleth   this is all extremely terrible and in all respects absolutely fycking dire.

"A reformist is someone who realizes that, when you bang your head on a wall, it's the head that breaks rather than the wall."

Peppino, from the movie Baaria
politicus
YaBB God
Denmark

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 02:07:22 pm »
Ignore

The difference is in their moral status. The President is a magistrate chosen by a group of people to perform duties on their behalf. The Monarch is considered as an individual placed above the others by a transcendent legitimacy. Thus, papacy clearly falls into the monarchic category.
This

Every time I see Denmark I just want to punch it in the face...
Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 06:38:01 pm »
Ignore

Yes, the pope might have worn a crown, robes, and carries an ordinal, but if Obama wore a crown and was known as "His Elective Majesty, President Barack I", would it really be any different.

In that case, he would be a monarch.

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 06:45:19 pm »
Ignore

While like other royals it has allowed itself surprisingly(?) comfortably into the contemporary epoch, the papacy still fundamentally remains a medieval and renaissance-epoch institution in its vision of sovereignty (though out of politics it has to quiet down that universalism stuff) so therefore unsurprisingly it can't be remotely considered republican in any way. One only has to look at the ridiculous way (with the ceremony included too) the pope is selected to see that.

Quote from: DarqWolff
I'm kind of tired of citing these examples and I'm guessing you're getting tired of reading them... In closing, the people who know me in real life all respect me, as do a great many people in the Reddit brony community

Keith R Laws ‏@Keith_Laws  Feb 4
As I have noted before 'paradigm shift' is an anagram of 'grasp dim faith'
Simfan34
YaBB God
Ghana

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 08:15:13 pm »
Ignore

Yes, the pope might have worn a crown, robes, and carries an ordinal, but if Obama wore a crown and was known as "His Elective Majesty, President Barack I", would it really be any different.

In that case, he would be a monarch.

But are those just not just superficial trappings? Nicolae Ceausescu carried a sceptre. Did that mean Ceausescu was a monarch?

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 08:18:39 pm »
Ignore

A form of elective monarchy for life, elected by the College of Cardinals, closer to an absolute monarch than a constitutional monarch.

WORST PRESIDENT SINCE WORLD WAR II
MooMooMoo
Angry_Weasel
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 12:38:44 pm »
Ignore

How does the Office of the Papacy actually compare to the  office of the Holy Roman Emperor?
Wasn't the Holy Roman Emperor basically elected by a peerage to be some sort of divine arbiter of power?

the result is a sense that we were told to attend a lavish dinner party that was going to be wonderful and by the time we got there, all the lobster and steak had been eaten, a fight had broken out, the police had been called and all that was left was warm beer and chips.
[/quot
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout