who is a good candidate for president that no one's mentioned?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:30:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  who is a good candidate for president that no one's mentioned?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: who is a good candidate for president that no one's mentioned?  (Read 4012 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 06, 2012, 01:40:04 PM »

I think Senator Reed in Rhode Island might be a good candidate. He could definitely excite the net-roots (lifetime ADA rating of 97) without scaring anyone else. As opposed to someone like Warren, he isn't as obnoxious about his views and in 2008, he managed to win about a quarter of all McCain voters. Also, his seat isn't up in 2016 so there would be no worry about giving up his seat to run. Lastly, he might be a decent candidate to win over working class voters given the state he represents.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 03:17:12 PM »

Jim Webb.

War hero: First Lieutenant in Vietnam and was awarded a Navy Cross, a Silver Star, two Bronze Stars, and two Purple Hearts. Awarded the DoD Distinguished Public Service Medal, the Medal of Honor Society's Patriot Award, the American Legion National Commander's Public Service Award, the VFW Media Service Award, the Marine Corps League's Military Order of the Iron Mike Award, the John H. Russell Leadership Award, and the Robert L. Denig Distinguished Service Award.

Experienced: Moderate Democratic Senator from a swing state who formerly served as a staffer on the House Committee on Veterans Affairs. From rural southern Virginia, pro-gun ownership, anti-illegal immigration. In the Senate, served on the committees on Foreign Relations, Veterans' Affairs, and Armed Services. Delivered a strong response to the State of the Union in 2007. Wrote the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008, legislation to prohibit the use of funds for war in Iran without Congress' approval, and legislation to create a committee to reform our criminal justice system/drug policy. Negotiated the release of an imprisoned American in Burma after a meeting with Than Shwe as well as Aung San Suu Kyi.

Reaganite: Served as Secretary of the Navy and Assistant Secretary of Defense for Reserve Affairs, and was praised in a 1985 Reagan address to Annapolis,

Educated: Spend a couple years at USC on a NROTC scholarship before going to Annapolis, and got a JD from Georgetown after the war. Also taught at the Naval Academy and represented veterans pro-bono. Won an Emmy in 1983 and is an author.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 03:45:11 PM »

I think Senator Reed in Rhode Island might be a good candidate. He could definitely excite the net-roots (lifetime ADA rating of 97) without scaring anyone else. As opposed to someone like Warren, he isn't as obnoxious about his views and in 2008, he managed to win about a quarter of all McCain voters. Also, his seat isn't up in 2016 so there would be no worry about giving up his seat to run. Lastly, he might be a decent candidate to win over working class voters given the state he represents.

Jack Reed is a complete scumbag. Terrible, terrible choice. It'll be John Edwards all over.

If we're talking about Democrats, Hickenlooper might be misunderestimated.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 07:52:10 PM »

Is this a serious choice or a I'd-love-Republicans-to-nominate-him-because-he'd-lose-so-badly-it-isn't-even-funny kind?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 09:33:48 PM »

Is this a serious choice or a I'd-love-Republicans-to-nominate-him-because-he'd-lose-so-badly-it-isn't-even-funny kind?

I'm actually serious. I mean, he would easily lose, but he would be a strong Primary contender. Obviously, in the GE, he'd get whipped in a Landslide.

http://www.crewsmostcorrupt.org/mostcorrupt/entry/david-vitter
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 09:35:39 PM »

Tom Coburn.

Over the years, he's become much stronger on fiscal issues. That being said, his social issues views are still outrageously out of the mainstream.

Also Brian Sandoval.

On the democratic side, maybe Ron Wyden would be interesting.

Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 09:45:24 PM »
« Edited: October 06, 2012, 11:48:26 PM by Clinton1996 "Sec. of Explaining Stuff" »

Tom Coburn.

Over the years, he's become much stronger on fiscal issues. That being said, his social issues views are still outrageously out of the mainstream.

Also Brian Sandoval.

On the democratic side, maybe Ron Wyden would be interesting.

Tom Coburn would've been the perfect VP pick for Romney.
Knives
solopop
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 04:58:16 AM »

Colleen Hanabusa or Daniel Akaka.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 02:38:50 PM »

wut. After the Akaka plan. lol. no.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 03:10:01 PM »

morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 07:56:52 PM »

If she wins, Heitkamp maybe.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 08:00:26 PM »

Jim Webb.

War hero: First Lieutenant in Vietnam and was awarded a Navy Cross, a Silver Star, two Bronze Stars, and two Purple Hearts. Awarded the DoD Distinguished Public Service Medal, the Medal of Honor Society's Patriot Award, the American Legion National Commander's Public Service Award, the VFW Media Service Award, the Marine Corps League's Military Order of the Iron Mike Award, the John H. Russell Leadership Award, and the Robert L. Denig Distinguished Service Award.

Experienced: Moderate Democratic Senator from a swing state who formerly served as a staffer on the House Committee on Veterans Affairs. From rural southern Virginia, pro-gun ownership, anti-illegal immigration. In the Senate, served on the committees on Foreign Relations, Veterans' Affairs, and Armed Services. Delivered a strong response to the State of the Union in 2007. Wrote the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008, legislation to prohibit the use of funds for war in Iran without Congress' approval, and legislation to create a committee to reform our criminal justice system/drug policy. Negotiated the release of an imprisoned American in Burma after a meeting with Than Shwe as well as Aung San Suu Kyi.

Reaganite: Served as Secretary of the Navy and Assistant Secretary of Defense for Reserve Affairs, and was praised in a 1985 Reagan address to Annapolis,

Educated: Spend a couple years at USC on a NROTC scholarship before going to Annapolis, and got a JD from Georgetown after the war. Also taught at the Naval Academy and represented veterans pro-bono. Won an Emmy in 1983 and is an author.

Hasn't he had some scandals though?

I do agree he'd be a good choice if he wants it.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 04:53:23 PM »

Jim Webb.

There's one problem with this. Jim Webb has grown to hate politics. He's retiring for a reason.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 04:55:29 PM »

Michael Bennet?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 05:57:57 PM »

Jim Webb.

-Webb did criticize the Clinton administration's handling of the Tailhook scandal.
-There was one time where one of his aides was arrested for carrying Webb's gun in Webb's briefcase through a security checkpoint (Webb's response: "I’m a strong supporter of the Second Amendment; I have had a permit to carry a weapon in Virginia for a long time; I believe that it’s important; it’s important to me personally and to a lot of people in the situation that I’m in to be able to defend myself and my family.").
-Webb also ran a Reagan ad where Reagan praised Webb in a 1985 speech that Nancy Reagan asked them not to run (although the words weren't distorted, out of context, or even repudiated by Reagan). The WaPo said him running the ad was completely okay.
-He wrote an article in '79 opposing women attending the Naval Academy; Webb apologized for any negative effects caused.
-Webb used the term "towel-heads and rednecks -- of which I am one" in discussing the use of ethnic stereotypes as 'easy villains' in movies.
-Fields of Fire, Webb's fiction novel about the Vietnam War, which was on the Commandant of the Marine Corps' reading list for 20+ years and is the most taught piece of literature on college campuses about Vietnam, contained some explicit passages and used the word "n". Other than all that.

Most of the scandals are from his opponent (macaca, Barr Labs, an "ethnic community rally" of mostly white folks, whether or not Allen was Jewish, using terms like "roaches" and "wetbacks", the Sons of Confederate Veterans incident, improper business interests, arrest warrants, his supporters attacking a blogger, and possible attempts at voter suppression).
Knives
solopop
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2012, 12:35:12 AM »

PERDUE!!
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 01:28:28 PM »

Someone from the West could be a good contender; Mark Udall, Michael Bennet, John Hickenlooper... Or a Pacific Coast politician.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2012, 02:17:14 PM »

Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2012, 08:10:49 PM »

Bob Corker seems good on paper.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2012, 11:50:59 PM »

Not after what he did to Harold Ford in 2006, though he hasn't been that bad of a Senator.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2012, 11:54:44 PM »

The tea party would have none of Bob Corkers bullsh**t, I assure you.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2012, 02:34:52 PM »

They did so well stopping the Massachusetts Moderate, didn't they? Wink
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2012, 04:02:17 PM »

I agree with Webb and Reed- now there is a Democratic ticket I'd vote for with pride!
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2012, 05:09:56 PM »

They did so well stopping the Massachusetts Moderate, didn't they? Wink

I think Bob Corker would have less of a chance though, because Mitt Romney had gigantic resources and a previous presidential run.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2012, 07:53:53 PM »

Leon Panetta is a dark horse.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to: