Any Other Dems Slightly Scared Now?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:20:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Any Other Dems Slightly Scared Now?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Any Other Dems Slightly Scared Now?  (Read 5817 times)
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2012, 03:24:17 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sig material.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2012, 03:27:09 PM »

It's important to remember that regardless what lead Obama has had during the campaign whether it's level with Romney, up 2 points or up 5 he has always outperformed Romney in the swing states. His national lead may have bounced up and down in August/September but didn't really affect his lead in states like Ohio which had been scarily constant. His electoral college numbers also remained constant. When Rasmussen had him down 2 points to Romney last month he still performed well in the state polls.

However we've had some interesting post debate polls that suggest his lead in Florida and Virginia have been eliminated and in danger in Ohio. Those would be worrying signs, but they are 'snapshot' polls so we need more out of these states to be sure.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2012, 03:29:36 PM »

I am tad bit more worried now then lets say after the DNC.

But, I think will be ok.
This is the first time that the Old Dominion has moved Romney into the lead in a while and that's a bellweather.

I agree that I am worried for Obama.  However, I think that if you agree with Obama on policy, there are many reasons you don't want to be the incumbent for 2012-16, so it might be a short run loss and a long run win. 
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2012, 03:31:04 PM »

This is a very valid question.

Hey, Opebo, if 38 percent of Whites support Obama, and only 4 percent of blacks support Romney, does that mean that whites are actually 900 percent less racist?

Not to say that there aren't plenty of black racists, but that's not a good metric or comparison, since the main variable there is Democratic ID and not race.  The vast majority of blacks would vote for a white Democrat over a black Republican, as we've seen a handful of times.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2012, 03:34:20 PM »

I'm worried, yeah. I think that nearly everything could happen: it could prove totally inconsequential, with the jobs numbers erasing all Romney's gains

This is not going to happen. It would take 17 years of 114,000 jobs per month to create 23 million jobs. Some folks in the media can spin numbers to push their hidden agenda, but the American public is not THAT stupid.

Who wants four more years of the last four years? Not many people, which is why Obama's ONLY hope was convincing a majority that Romney is a monster, a risky gambit. Obama failed to do this, which is why he will lose.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2012, 03:36:26 PM »

The debate made this a Horserace, and I'm fine with that. We all know the media was getting tired of the "Romney is Toast" plot point. But the thing I'm most afraid of, is that Romney tricked voters into thinking he's a viable "Moderate" alternative.

Nahh just chill man. I think Obama will win. I think he wantes to get a feel of how Mittens debates so he stood back and watched him. now he knows so next debate Obama will win.

Talk about spin for a debate that clearly showed Obama as a high school debater against a true professional.

Except that Mitt Romney won by  methods that would not be tolerated in a high-school or college debate -- like bullying the moderator.   

Barack Obama would never bully the moderator. Except that time he cut off Lehrer to chide him that he had 5 seconds left before he was interrupted. And then went on to speak for 2 minutes after that.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2012, 03:39:20 PM »

I'm worried, yeah. I think that nearly everything could happen: it could prove totally inconsequential, with the jobs numbers erasing all Romney's gains

This is not going to happen. It would take 17 years of 114,000 jobs per month to create 23 million jobs. Some folks in the media can spin numbers to push their hidden agenda, but the American public is not THAT stupid.

Who wants four more years of the last four years? Not many people, which is why Obama's ONLY hope was convincing a majority that Romney is a monster, a risky gambit. Obama failed to do this, which is why he will lose.

Well it can't be that hard to create a lot more jobs.  After all, Romney has repeatedly promised to average 500K/month over his term if he wins.  All I can say is good luck with that.
JFK-Democrat
Rookie
United States

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2012, 03:44:42 PM »

I am concerned but not scared, I think there was/ is a backup plan if Obama white support among SWING VOTERS craters, which is the group most at risk from his lackluster performance. Honestly the election was heading for a route and he messed it up with a lackluster (not a poor). Die hard Democrats (including minorities) are going to support Obama regardless.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2012, 04:06:15 PM »

Concerned, but still optimisitic. We still have another month to go and two more debates. It's guranteed that Obama will step up his game, and Romney has never been a good retail politician and has a poor grasp on foreign policy which I think will be pretty obvious in the next two debates. Also, I think Biden's chances in the VP debate are being underestimated.

Plus, the unemployment number dropping below 8% is helpful.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2012, 04:08:28 PM »

More than "slightly concerned." I felt a little better yesterday, when it looked like the polls were holding steady and the media was rightly reporting less on Romney's "victory" and more on his numerous lies and ridiculous statements. But Obama's collapse in the polling today is very bad news. I fear there might not be time to turn things around. The best we can hope for now is a very narrow victory.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2012, 04:08:54 PM »

Romney's pledge to reform taxes in such a way that they do not add to the deficit nor do they raise taxes on anybody is the pledge he is committed to.

If he's so committed to it, why doesn't he have a plan that adds up? Have you ever had a goal that you wanted badly, that you were determined to achieve and did? If so, did you make a plan to achieve it? Or did you just tell people you were going to do it while relying on others to do the heavy lifting? Romney said that Congress is going to make his implausible numbers add up. The same Comgress that can't even agree to a plan to cut the existing deficit by $4 trillion over 10 years is supposed to make Romneys additional $4.8 trillion in revenue loss budget neutral. There is no plan there, neither with Congress nor Romney. His confidence is unjustified. You need more than empty promises.

Are you saying that Romney is lying when he promises to cut rates 20 percent across the board? Has he walked that back yet, or is he still telling people that's what he's going to do?

Actually Romney would repeal the measure that prevents discrimination based on on; existing conditions. Don't believe me, politico has an article detailing his position. It basically makes some minor tweaks to existing law, and may or may not give some more money to states. But Romney won't commit to doing this latter part, and he can't come up of any examples of what states might do with the money. There's no plan there. And what you're talking about is not just rising costs for the already hard hit middle class on top of the cost increases that already occurred, it's the collapse of the health insurance market.

Actually those banks have given about 2 to 1 Romney. Dodd Frank has increased protections for consumers and strengthened the banks. Since it was passed, just about every kind of mortgage or credit card delinquency, and consumer debt, has fallen. And there have been fewer bank failures each year. Before it was passed, all those horrendous metrics were skyrocketing. Look at the results.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2012, 04:17:12 PM »

Romney is the greatest champion of free market economics since Reagan. On the social front, he has a moderate temperament but is a tolerant conservative, if you will.

No, there are people more resolute in their belief that the market should be free to do anything that it can to anyone vulnerable.

He sold out to the Religious Right so that he could be nominated, and if he ignores them now, then (1) his support among them falters, and (2) few moderates believe him.  

Two hours in five months since Romney had the nomination all but wrapped up?

How would you know? This was all consistent with what Romney had said and done while campaigning.

So he will say anything to shore up a constituency, even if he knows that he can't deliver on the promise. Such is a false oath. The part of the Bible (Exodus 20) that contains the Ten Commandments, valid in Judaism and all branches of Christianity (that includes Mormonism) , clearly enumerates the making of an oath in vane as a serious breach of ethics not to be made.

"Twenty percent reduction in taxes"? The bulk of the benefit actually goes to those who pay federal income taxes. But big tax cuts imply revenue losses, and eventually the government has to find ways to raise taxes. If the rich-and-powerful are able to prevent any return to higher tax rates, then we might get stuck  a national sales tax on all goods and services, including food, rent, and interest? Maybe that would be one way to support a national health service, but all in all most people would pay more in taxes with no increase in services. Right-wingers who cast President Obama as a 'deficit monster' reply upon a ludicrous interpretation of the long-debunked Laffer curve that holds that somewhere around 15% taxes, reductions in income destroy the tax base.  

President Obama put Dubya's wars for profit on the budget instead of concealing them, and of course any economic downturn implies bigger spending by government and reduced tax revenues. Such was held against FDR.  

About all that Romney would retain is the mandate that people buy overpriced health insurance from a tight cartel that can gouge at will.

Want to repeal and replace Obamacare? Then offer something better while Barack Obama is still President -- like Medicare for all.

Glass-Steagall does need to be reimposed.

Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2012, 04:25:27 PM »
« Edited: October 06, 2012, 04:29:55 PM by Former President Polnut »

Scared? Not really... concerned? yes.

I'm avoiding being biased to the best that I can, often my work requires me to advocate things I don't support, so I'm relatively good at detaching myself...

I'm not surprised Romney got a bump, but I am surprised at the immediate scale of it we can perceive so far. It strikes me as disproportional to the debate we saw, Obama was certainly unimpressive and Romney 'looked' more stable and confident (accuracy issues aside) ... but I didn't see anything that would have justified such a swing... it's almost a kind of hysterical reaction...

We'll see how things sit mid-week...
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2012, 04:27:30 PM »

No. The fundamentals of Mitt Romney are strong.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2012, 04:29:19 PM »

Sig material.
Only majority and/or people with power can be racist. (South Africa and a couple other countries in it's vicinity are examples of minority racists).
sg0508
United States

« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2012, 04:32:07 PM »

Big swings in all the key states is what I saw.  Like I'm thinking, OH is the state that Obama MUST hold.  It appears that FL, CO, NC, and VA may actually slip away.

I didn't think the debate would move the key states like they appear to have, but the big movement scares me.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2012, 04:32:45 PM »

Sig material.
Only majority and/or people with power can be racist. (South Africa and a couple other countries in it's vicinity are examples of minority racists).

Precisely.  I wasn't going to bother to explain it to him, as he couldn't understand, but I'm glad someone did.  

In the context of America, only whites can be racist.  This is also generally true of the world as a whole, but obviously not everywhere.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2012, 04:33:15 PM »

I think the race is still Obama's to lose. Romney might have gotten a decent number of undecides to break for him (of which I don't think there is any evidence so far) but I doubt he took much of anything from Obama. And since Obama was basically at a majority already he's still favored.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2012, 04:34:39 PM »

Big swings in all the key states is what I saw.  Like I'm thinking, OH is the state that Obama MUST hold.  It appears that FL, CO, NC, and VA may actually slip away.

I didn't think the debate would move the key states like they appear to have, but the big movement scares me.

You have to understand the deep, profound desire to move in that way which was existing previous to the debate, among white swing voters.  The debate was a trigger or an excuse to look past Romney's class-enemy status and focus instead on his whiteness.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2012, 04:36:56 PM »

As I said before, this really seems like a disproportional and hysterical reaction to the debate... it's possible the polling is a result of Obama losing the expectations game so badly, on top of not being especially good...

But again, we'll need to wait to see...
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2012, 04:40:14 PM »

Lets see some other polls in the Old Dominion before taking the normally biased Rasmussen as truth
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2012, 04:42:24 PM »

Sig material.

I'm sorry, that makes absolutely no sense. Anybody can be racist, and there is absolutely no reason to assume that African-Americans are just as prejudiced against other ethnic groups as whites are.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2012, 04:46:40 PM »

Sig material.

I'm sorry, that makes absolutely no sense. Anybody can be racist, and there is absolutely no reason to assume that African-Americans are just as prejudiced against other ethnic groups as whites are.

I believe he's talking about 'racism' as something having a substantive effect - a material effect on the real world - rather than just the irrelevant personal peccadilloes of powerless peons.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2012, 04:49:46 PM »

Can we ban Opebo already? He/she doesn't belong here.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2012, 04:52:41 PM »

Can we ban Opebo already? He/she doesn't belong here.

You upstart!  I've been pointing out the racist voting for well over half a decade, and you want to ban me for what?  Being right?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies