Any Other Dems Slightly Scared Now?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:13:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Any Other Dems Slightly Scared Now?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: Any Other Dems Slightly Scared Now?  (Read 5811 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2012, 04:55:29 PM »

As Oakie has often said... the natural state for liberals is 'loserism' ... we see adversities and flee thinking "oh, they've won again... gah" and walk away, well before the battle has actually been lost.

I think Obama's supporters need to hold our nerve.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2012, 05:29:48 PM »

Can we ban Opebo already? He/she doesn't belong here.

Don't be ridiculous.

Opebo has as much right to express his views as anyone else.

If you don't like what he has to say, then don't read it.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2012, 05:43:38 PM »

I'm a Democrat, I'm always scared.
Biden 2024
wolfentoad66
Norfolk Island

« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2012, 05:45:22 PM »

Don't be ridiculous.

I have gained respect for you, Winfield.
Ty440
GoldenBoy
United States

« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2012, 05:48:00 PM »

You upstart!  I've been pointing out the racist voting for well over half a decade, and you want to ban me for what?  Being right?

To quote Rodney King....

Can't we all just get along?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2012, 06:00:56 PM »

This is a very valid question.

Hey, Opebo, if 38 percent of Whites support Obama, and only 4 percent of blacks support Romney, does that mean that whites are actually 900 percent less racist?
[/quote]

100% of black voters before 2008 have voted for white candidates. Plenty of white voters never have, and some of them never will.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2012, 06:07:34 PM »

As Oakie has often said... the natural state for liberals is 'loserism' ... we see adversities and flee thinking "oh, they've won again... gah" and walk away, well before the battle has actually been lost.

But isn't this kind of attitude at least partly a result of our past experiences? I might be wrong, but my gut feeling is that left-wing candidates win less often than right-wing ones in most countries in the world. And in order to win, they have to move to the centre more sharply than right-wing candidates. A major gaffe/scandal, and they're out, while right-wingers are forgiven much more easily. When left-wing prospects seem good in polling numbers, there's always some "shy conservative effect" or some lat minute swing (see Demnark 2011, France 2012, Québec 2012). I know I'm exaggerating but, overall, I have the feeling that, everything else being equal, voters instinctively tend to favor the right.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2012, 06:10:40 PM »

But isn't this kind of attitude at least partly a result of our past experiences? I might be wrong, but my gut feeling is that left-wing candidates win less often than right-wing ones in most countries in the world. And in order to win, they have to move to the centre more sharply than right-wing candidates. A major gaffe/scandal, and they're out, while right-wingers are forgiven much more easily. When left-wing prospects seem good in polling numbers, there's always some "shy conservative effect" or some lat minute swing (see Demnark 2011, France 2012, Québec 2012). I know I'm exaggerating but, overall, I have the feeling that, everything else being equal, voters instinctively tend to favor the right.

It seems the opposite holds in Canada and Britain. 
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2012, 06:18:18 PM »

It seems the opposite holds in Canada and Britain. 

Britain? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_general_election,_1992

I'm not sure for Canada, since after all Harper eventually got his majority. But obviously, there are plenty of exception and not enough data to prove this phenomenon objectively. Still, I really feel there is something in the voters' psychology that makes them more likely to support the right in average conditions, and to hold the left to a significantly higher standard.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2012, 06:21:19 PM »

All I'm going to say is that Democrats need to expect a few days of pretty ugly numbers...
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2012, 06:22:28 PM »

I'm not worried. At least not yet.
Ty440
GoldenBoy
United States

« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2012, 06:23:20 PM »

Hey, Opebo, if 38 percent of Whites support Obama, and only 4 percent of blacks support Romney, does that mean that whites are actually 900 percent less racist?

100% of black voters before 2008 have voted for white candidates. Plenty of white voters never have, and some of them never will.
[/quote]

100% agree
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2012, 06:53:16 PM »

Yeah, we'll see what Romney's bounce is and how long it lasts, but Obama's lead was so massive that Romney could simply bounce up to being 1-2 points behind. Which isn't great, but it's too early to make myself upset about. Ohio is quite a firewall for Obama.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2012, 09:25:12 PM »

Yeah the thing with Romney is he's a runner. You can't pin him down. First, he says A, then you point out what's wrong with A, and he says never mind A, B. And then you start to talk about B, but Romney's already moved onto his new position, C.

The thing is Romney has laid out a plan, the details of which are vague.  Obama hasn't done that.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2012, 09:45:12 PM »

Apparently Romney peaked on Friday, so I'm not sure what to think.

I'll wait until the next debate.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2012, 09:47:28 PM »

I think this has only happened in last three or four decades, that's why right wingers have run off into loony land.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2012, 12:37:02 AM »

Don't be ridiculous.

This.

Winfield is a Freedom Fighter like no other! Win WITH Winfield!
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2012, 02:25:02 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

So I take it you believe a poll with only a democrats on it tells you the strength of voter preference for Republicans?

C'mon, this is a worthless argument. You can do better.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #68 on: October 07, 2012, 02:29:14 AM »

Bullsh**t - racism is racism. You don't believe that hispanics and blacks can be racist to each other?

And yes, the evidence is pretty solidly in favour of whites being the least racist. They are the most likely race to vote for someone not of their race when given a choice between a white person and someone who isn't white.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #69 on: October 07, 2012, 03:49:40 AM »

Bullsh**t - racism is racism. You don't believe that hispanics and blacks can be racist to each other?

And yes, the evidence is pretty solidly in favour of whites being the least racist. They are the most likely race to vote for someone not of their race when given a choice between a white person and someone who isn't white.
As expected, you have totally missed the point. It doesn't matter what the peasant thinks of the lord.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #70 on: October 07, 2012, 04:04:38 AM »

I don't regard Obama as my Lord. Perhaps you do. Tell Lord Obama I said hello. He might only Force Choke you for displeasing him.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #71 on: October 07, 2012, 04:26:45 AM »
« Edited: October 07, 2012, 04:37:47 AM by shua, gm »

It's not 900 percent less than anything - that would be a negative number.
Also, saying that one group or another is less racist doesn't make quantifiable sense - the most you can say is that there are fewer admitted racists in one group than another based on a question that is clearly dependent on racism.
Besides, Obama is the first member of his minority to become President, of a party most blacks tend to support anyway.  The more appropriate comparison would be how many Mormons are supporting Romney.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #72 on: October 07, 2012, 05:47:38 AM »

No.  The jobs numbers negated the debate.  It's over.  Obama loses NC and IN, but wins all his states from '08.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #73 on: October 07, 2012, 05:54:09 AM »
« Edited: October 07, 2012, 05:58:02 AM by AWallTEP81 »

[/quote]

beautiful observation.  If there's one thing in this country I hate is "reverse racism"... the disgusting idea that whites are somehow just as victimized. A pathetic argument by ignorant people.  
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #74 on: October 07, 2012, 07:12:56 AM »

900 percent less likely to be racist.

Sure it does. 4 percent of blacks voting for a white candidate over a black candidate vs 36 percent of whites voting for a black candidate over a white candidate, means that the average white person is 9x more likely to vote for a candidate who is not of their race.

Now, you could make the argument that racism!= voting for someone of the same color as you - but that's the argument that opebo is making. If you are a black person voting for Obama over Romney you are a racist.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies