Republican voters need to be educated. Obama can't work with these people.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:40:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Republican voters need to be educated. Obama can't work with these people.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Republican voters need to be educated. Obama can't work with these people.  (Read 1579 times)
User157088589849
BlondeArtisit

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 06, 2012, 05:46:11 PM »

Todd Akin wins the Missouri primary.
Mitt Romney is the Republican nominee

And now we have Paul Broun...in 2012 its totally unacceptable for people with his views to be in Congress.

http://news.yahoo.com/congressman-calls-evolution-lie-pit-hell-175514039.html

The earth is not 9000 years old
Evolution is not made up.

What is wrong with the communities that elect these people. Something is fundamentally wrong with the educational system that in 2012 we have people who believe in total hogwash.

No wonder Obama can't work with Republicans they are all insane.
User157088589849
BlondeArtisit

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 05:55:57 PM »

Here is another

Jon Hubbard of Arkansas saying slavery was a blessing.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/05/jon-hubbard-arkansas-slavery-book_n_1943661.html
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 06:03:24 PM »

Are you seriously comparing Akin, Broun, and Hubbard to Romney?
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 06:04:27 PM »

That's not true at all.

They worked together to pass the excellent Budget Control Act.
Ty440
GoldenBoy
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 06:46:03 PM »

Both parties have their extremes and nut cases. Look at Maxine (the CIA planted drugs in the ghetto) Waters. Or Robert( KKK) Byrd.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 07:42:08 PM »

Both parties have their extremes and nut cases. Look at Maxine (the CIA planted drugs in the ghetto) Waters. Or Robert( KKK) Byrd.

Certainly, but it is nowhere near a 1:1 ratio.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 10:05:38 PM »

The OP mentioned something about communities who elect such representatives.  And that brought to mind something a friend told me a few months ago, not exactly about this but about a related topic, but his point I think was a good one, especially given my memories of growing up in the relatively small community that I did.  His point basically was that often it's not so much a question about what one believes, but about who one believes.  Communities are a collection of relationships between people, and when one grows up, as I did, in a small community, where maintaining good relationships is particularly important, one's default assumption is that the people around you have, for the most part, your best interests at heart.  So, when they tell you something, you are more likely to believe what they say precisely because of the weight the relationship carries.  By contrast, if you hear someone who is a complete stranger who claims things about truth and reality and whatnot that contravene what the people around you are saying, then, absent any independent way to assess the evidence, there is really no good reason for you to believe the stranger instead of the people in the community, since you don't know what sorts of intentions the stranger has in telling you what they do.  Separating oneself from all that is hard, it was certainly difficult for me--why exactly ought I to believe, for example, someone I've never met whose claims I'm reading rather than my own dad?  Reasons to believe are often very abstruse sorts of things, trust that one already has in intimates and community members one has long known is often far, far more compelling.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 11:48:31 PM »
« Edited: October 06, 2012, 11:51:20 PM by Politico »

When it comes to matters of economics and business, most Democrats are about as clueless as many Republicans are with regards to evolution. Which is worse?

For the record, I am a disillusioned Democrat who believes in free market economics, God, and evolution. Above all, I am an individual.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 02:26:10 AM »

Right - like Obama said that Catholics have no right to practice their faith in America and reject contraception. It's all the other people's fault and not Obama. :rolleyes:
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 03:48:07 AM »

When it comes to matters of economics and business, most Democrats are about as clueless as many Republicans are with regards to evolution. Which is worse?

For the record, I am a disillusioned Democrat who believes in free market economics, God, and evolution. Above all, I am an individual.
Well, actually nearly all members of both parties need to be educated about economics.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 08:59:52 AM »

is this nomorelies? 
Link
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 10:04:45 AM »
« Edited: October 07, 2012, 10:11:21 AM by Link »

Two things.

One Maxine Waters is not a PHYSICIAN on the SCIENCE COMMITTEE and Robert Byrd endorse the first black president during the primary against his southern white opponent.  Robert Byrd is extreme for the KKK... but not in the way you think.

As far as Republicans are concerned if we want to talk about old guys in the Senate...  Strom Thurmond raped is parent's house keeper and then kept his black love child a secret his entire adult life while he railed against the "n race."  Now do you see a difference?

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Link.

What I find interesting about these types of threads is there is an endless stream of Republicans that pop up saying completely insane/racist things.  The Republican rebuttals always recycle the same handful of names... and usually in reference to something that was uttered decades ago.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012, 11:37:27 AM »

I need to be educated on evolution?
Problem Solved

And if that doesn't work, don't blame me. I have never linked to the middle of a Youtube video before and I don't have time to test it right now. Tongue

Seriously, this OP of this thread is just ridiculous. The presumptive nature of it is appalling and the degreading, stereotypical bias shown against all those the thread creator disagrees with is disturbing to say the least. I learned about Evolution from Walter Cronkite's four part series on the subject that ran on the History Channel back when that still actually meant something (Pre-Ice Road Truckers, Bible/Da Vinci Code/Conspiracy Theory dwelling that began in mid 2000's) and have been fascinated by the subject ever since. I think Evolution is undeniable, but I still think Obama and his ideas are dreadful. Evolution is still looking pretty solid, but your theory on why Republican's don't want to work with him, isn't doing so well.

"The other side? oh, they are just dumb, ignorant hicks" is part of the reasons why we are so partisan and you can find similar things that Republicans rely on to belittle and delegitimize the oppostion. I think this attitude displayed in this very thread, is exemplifying a problem that is more at fault for our gridlock in Washington, then alleged, massive ignorance on the part of one side or the other.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2012, 11:56:23 AM »

For the record, I am a disillusioned Democrat who believes in free market economics, God

Why do you believe in that nonsense?  Just to annoy reasonables?
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2012, 09:11:25 PM »

Things have never been worse for the GOP base. Not only are they spiraling off a cliff politically by going way further to the right than most modern voters are comfortable with, they're also willfully blind to the world around them.

Case in point: Those who believe the polls are "lying," and that there's a conspiracy to make the election look in the bag for Obama. The lemmings are frighteningly willing to believe anything spoon fed to them.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2012, 05:21:59 PM »

Right - like Obama said that Catholics have no right to practice their faith in America and reject contraception. It's all the other people's fault and not Obama. :rolleyes:

I would support Obama rounding up the Catholics who are against birth control into secret camps.  Those hundreds of people wouldn't be missed.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2012, 10:49:13 PM »
« Edited: October 08, 2012, 10:52:20 PM by Skill and Chance »

So where are the crazy Dems at then?  Let's think of what the Dem equivalent of Todd Akin or Sharon Angle, or Christine O'Donnell would be:

1. An openly atheist lawyer who wants public schools to actively convert children away from religious faith and offer free anonymous abortions to minors.  He/she was also caught on tape denouncing Christians as irrational idiots.

2. An environmental activist who pledges to ban the sale of gasoline, impose a $50,000 fine on families with more than 2 children and amend the Constitution to give ecosystems equal protection rights.

3.  A Huey Long style rabid populist who wants to effectively abolish private property, reduce the role of states to filing paperwork, repeal the 2nd Amendment, and have the federal government seize outright all private estates worth more than $10 million.

If liberal Dems are so radical, why aren't these people winning statewide primaries in swing states and red states?  The only Democratic nominee this cycle who even comes close to a Tea Party level of out there is Elizabeth Warren, and she is running in what is probably the bluest state in the country.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2012, 11:21:34 PM »

I would support Obama rounding up the Catholics who are against birth control into secret camps.  Those hundreds of people wouldn't be missed.

what the ?
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2012, 03:20:35 AM »

I need to be educated on evolution?
Problem Solved

And if that doesn't work, don't blame me. I have never linked to the middle of a Youtube video before and I don't have time to test it right now. Tongue

Seriously, this OP of this thread is just ridiculous. The presumptive nature of it is appalling and the degreading, stereotypical bias shown against all those the thread creator disagrees with is disturbing to say the least. I learned about Evolution from Walter Cronkite's four part series on the subject that ran on the History Channel back when that still actually meant something (Pre-Ice Road Truckers, Bible/Da Vinci Code/Conspiracy Theory dwelling that began in mid 2000's) and have been fascinated by the subject ever since. I think Evolution is undeniable, but I still think Obama and his ideas are dreadful. Evolution is still looking pretty solid, but your theory on why Republican's don't want to work with him, isn't doing so well.

"The other side? oh, they are just dumb, ignorant hicks" is part of the reasons why we are so partisan and you can find similar things that Republicans rely on to belittle and delegitimize the oppostion. I think this attitude displayed in this very thread, is exemplifying a problem that is more at fault for our gridlock in Washington, then alleged, massive ignorance on the part of one side or the other.

Yes and no.  The "extremists on both sides" argument requires that you compare Democrats in near unanimous partisan districts with Republicans in swing seats and hold them on equal footing.  If Bill Maher moves to Tennessee and defeats Phil Bredesen in the senate primary, we'll talk.  That would be the Democratic answer to Christine O'Donnell.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2012, 06:46:52 PM »

Sieg heil, mein Führer!
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2012, 04:48:15 PM »

what the ?

Shocked
Link
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2012, 04:53:42 PM »

what the ?

Shocked

It's a joke pointing out the obvious and the hypocrisy.  The country has 330+ million people.  And people who are Catholic and truly are against birth control is really only a few hundred.  Ninety whatever percent of Catholic women who have been sexual active have used birth control.  So for this to some how be some big huge issue with Catholics is a joke... and deserves a joke.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2012, 12:54:11 PM »

Regardless of one's views on the matter, 'joking' about rounding up people into camps is hardly an appropriate way of expressing it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies