Should Obama just drop out and let Hillary Clinton take over?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:10:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Should Obama just drop out and let Hillary Clinton take over?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Should Obama just drop out and let Hillary Clinton take over?  (Read 2296 times)
Mister Twister

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 07, 2012, 09:38:42 AM »

Romney is surging and I don't see how Obama is going to perform any better at the next two debates.
Earthling
Netherlands

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 09:41:57 AM »

Why not? He may not be the best debater but he is certainly better than he showed last Wednesday.

I am confident he will be back for the second debate. He knows he screwed up.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 10:30:01 AM »

Lmao.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 10:32:02 AM »

CALM DOWN.
Hoverbored123
Rookie
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 10:37:56 AM »

I know Democrats are discouraged, but let's not lose our heads... Wink
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 10:49:25 AM »

Romney is surging and I don't see how Obama is going to perform any better at the next two debates.

Since when is +2 "surging?"

Hoverbored123
Rookie
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 10:55:12 AM »

I will say this: if Obama loses the second debate, he's in a bad place.  If he loses all three debates, he's as good as finished.
wan
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 10:59:24 AM »

Romney still has a electoral-disadvantage. Swing states are called swing states for a reason romney could be up today. And next week we could be writing something different.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 11:19:15 AM »

Hahaha are you crazy? I've always thought you're Rhodie/KenyanObama/Dixie pretending you are a democrat. I'm almost sure now Tongue
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 11:29:00 AM »

Yes
wan
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 11:32:39 AM »

/
Hahaha are you crazy? I've always thought you're Rhodie/KenyanObama/Dixie pretending you are a democrat. I'm almost sure now Tongue

Are you referring to me??Sorry if i confused you. I am a independent obama supporter. How am i crazy?? I was saying that polls change everyday in swing states since the republicans thank romney has this in the bag. They just better hope obama don't retake the lead because if he does it's over. I hope joe biden wins the next debate
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 12:08:36 PM »

Ugh. Go away, BritishDixie.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012, 12:25:57 PM »

Romney is surging? I wasn't aware.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2012, 12:40:25 PM »

LOL at this thread and the thread creator. 
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2012, 01:41:50 PM »

/

Are you referring to me??Sorry if i confused you. I am a independent obama supporter. How am i crazy?? I was saying that polls change everyday in swing states since the republicans thank romney has this in the bag. They just better hope obama don't retake the lead because if he does it's over. I hope joe biden wins the next debate

No, he was referring to the OP. Unless your post is quoted, you shouldn't assume the poster after you is necessarily referring to you.
Biden 2024
wolfentoad66
Norfolk Island

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2012, 02:17:11 PM »

Troll question. Not applicable 30 days before the election. 200 days, maybe. 30, no.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2012, 03:15:45 PM »

This question is dumb, but in fairness when I watched the Democratic Primary process in 2008 Hillary was clearly a better debater.  Because Obama was clearly better at giving speeches than Hillary, this seemed to be overlooked.

To my eye, it looked like Obama fell into the same debate trap that has snared so many incumbent presidents -- distracted by his day job, rusty debate skills and a sheltered life inside the presidential bubble.  George Condon has a good article about why incumbent presidents fall flat in their first reelection debate.  It was written on Oct. 1, before the debate, and was quite prescient in suggesting why Obama was likely to lose.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/magazine/why-incumbents-lose-presidential-debates-20120927

Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2012, 03:20:17 PM »

Only if Romney drops out as well and endorses Gary Johnson.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2012, 03:36:02 PM »

Last week was the best debate model for Romney. Foreign policy usually favors the incumbent (especially when that incumbent got Bin Laden), and the third debate is a town hall-style, which is also not in Romney's favor.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2012, 03:48:17 PM »

Last week was the best debate model for Romney. Foreign policy usually favors the incumbent (especially when that incumbent got Bin Laden), and the third debate is a town hall-style, which is also not in Romney's favor.

Two problems:

1.  Libya.

2.  The Arab Spring/now Late summer.

I also would not discount Romney's abilities in a town hall.  He's been doing a lot of that.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2012, 03:50:22 PM »

Problem is, Romney has zero foreign policy experience and he showed that when he smiled about what happened in Libya during that press conference.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2012, 03:54:24 PM »
« Edited: October 07, 2012, 04:58:56 PM by Politico »

Obama did not just lose; it is becoming increasingly clear that he was defeated like no president since George H.W. Bush, if not Jimmy Carter. The image they built up about Romney, telling everybody for months that Romney is some kind of risky monster--well, that image was destroyed once and for all (it was merely a figment of Democrats' wild imaginations). As a result, Team Obama has ZERO credibility with Independents now. These Independents were expecting to see Donald Trump versus "Hope and Change." Instead, they saw Reagan Vs. Carter set in 2012. They are startled that they were fooled so badly by Obama's Hype Machine.

To summarize: One, Independents will not be fooled again. Most of them are pretty much lost to Romney moving forward. Two, I do not see how Democrats can get as fired up as Republicans are right now, especially when you consider that there are only four weeks to go. I mean, it's not like Obama's pro-gay marriage plank would legalize gay marriage across the nation, and there's really nothing else there to fire up Democrats moving forward (And Biden killed that momentum tactic back in May). Three, I have never seen Republicans so fired up before, 1980/1984/1994/2004/2010 included.

Bottomline: In the next debate, Obama needs to somehow match or surpass what Romney accomplished in the first debate. He needs THE performance of his entire career. If he fails to do this, the question on everybody's mind will start becoming "how badly will Obama lose?" not "can Obama bounce back?"
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2012, 04:28:08 PM »

LOL. Romney has had dozens of these "bad moments" in the campaign. I think Obama's allowed one without being written off.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2012, 05:18:37 PM »

Obama did not just lose; it is becoming increasingly clear that he was defeated like no president since George H.W. Bush, if not Jimmy Carter. The image they built up about Romney, telling everybody for months that Romney is some kind of risky monster--well, that image was destroyed once and for all (it was merely a figment of Democrats' wild imaginations). As a result, Team Obama has ZERO credibility with Independents now. These Independents were expecting to see Donald Trump versus "Hope and Change." Instead, they saw Reagan Vs. Carter set in 2012. They are startled that they were fooled so badly by Obama's Hype Machine.

To summarize: One, Independents will not be fooled again. Most of them are pretty much lost to Romney moving forward. Two, I do not see how Democrats can get as fired up as Republicans are right now, especially when you consider that there are only four weeks to go. I mean, it's not like Obama's pro-gay marriage plank would legalize gay marriage across the nation, and there's really nothing else there to fire up Democrats moving forward (And Biden killed that momentum tactic back in May). Three, I have never seen Republicans so fired up before, 1980/1984/1994/2004/2010 included.

Bottomline: In the next debate, Obama needs to somehow match or surpass what Romney accomplished in the first debate. He needs THE performance of his entire career. If he fails to do this, the question on everybody's mind will start becoming "how badly will Obama lose?" not "can Obama bounce back?"

So where is Romney's big bounce? Why hasn't he taken the lead yet?
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2012, 05:32:53 PM »

/

I was referring to the OP, as Antonio said: You're a great poster Wink
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies