Will America ever elect another Episcopalian president?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:37:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Will America ever elect another Episcopalian president?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will America ever elect another Episcopalian president?  (Read 2949 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 07, 2012, 04:24:33 PM »

Episcopalians used to be ubiquitous in the halls of American political power (and they're still overrepresented in Congress). More presidents have been Episcopalians than any other denomination. But as their numbers in both politics and the general population decline, will George H. W. Bush be the last one in the White House?

Looking at the current and up-and-coming power players in both parties, I can't find a single Episcopalian.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 04:25:50 PM »
« Edited: October 07, 2012, 06:24:39 PM by IDS Legislator SJoyceFla »

Yes. President SJoyceFla.

In all seriousness:

Democrats: Sen. Bill Nelson (D-FL), Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI), Gov. Neil Abercrombie (D-HI), Gov. Beverly Perdue (D-NC), Gov. Mike Beebe (D-AR)

Repubs: Sen. Saxby Chambliss (R-GA), Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-TX), Gov. Matt Mead (R-WY).

Indies: Sen-to-be. Angus King (I-ME), Gov. Lincoln Chafee (I-RI).

So not a deep bench, but saying we'll NEVER elect another is extremely broad.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 07:02:52 PM »
« Edited: October 07, 2012, 07:04:31 PM by cope1989 »

There will if I ever decide to run. (proud Episcopalian here)

But in all seriousness, probably at some point. The only thing that may become an issue in the future is the fact that the image of the Episcopal church has shifted from blue blood aristocrats to one of staunchly progressive Christians. A Republican Episcopalian running in the next decade may be asked whether he or she agrees with the Church's pro gay stance. If they say yes, it might turn off some of his or her supporters.

So I'm betting that our next Episcopal president will more likely be a Democrat.

How about another Catholic president? We've had a 50 year dry spell.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 07:10:31 PM »

There will if I ever decide to run. (proud Episcopalian here)

But in all seriousness, probably at some point. The only thing that may become an issue in the future is the fact that the image of the Episcopal church has shifted from blue blood aristocrats to one of staunchly progressive Christians. A Republican Episcopalian running in the next decade may be asked whether he or she agrees with the Church's pro gay stance. If they say yes, it might turn off some of his or her supporters.

So I'm betting that our next Episcopal president will more likely be a Democrat.

How about another Catholic president? We've had a 50 year dry spell.
Well, a Catholic is pretty likely for 2016.(If Obama wins).
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 07:18:07 PM »
« Edited: October 07, 2012, 07:21:32 PM by IDS Legislator SJoyceFla »

Not if they want me to not move halfway across the world.

What's wrong with Episcopalians (and by extension Washington and Roosevelt)? Unless you're someone like this guy.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 07:50:15 PM »

Honestly, I don't believe the USA will. The Episcopal church is shrinking at a rapid rate. All these politicians you've mentioned have one thing in common - they're all kind of old. And none of them are presidential  material. Membership in the church has taken a nose dive and it continues to drop rapidly.

Episcopals will continue to be overrepresented in politics, but as their membership continues to drop, there's only so much over-representation can do for you.
Knives
solopop
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 10:19:01 PM »

Bev Perdue, duh!
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 11:39:28 AM »

Huh?

Regarding the OP, I don't see why not, although I suspect they will become less influential.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 07:43:00 PM »

I certainly, really hope so!
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 04:18:50 PM »

Honestly, I don't believe the USA will. The Episcopal church is shrinking at a rapid rate. All these politicians you've mentioned have one thing in common - they're all kind of old. And none of them are presidential  material. Membership in the church has taken a nose dive and it continues to drop rapidly.

Episcopals will continue to be overrepresented in politics, but as their membership continues to drop, there's only so much over-representation can do for you.

In many ways, there is no longer an Episcopal Church.  There are two wings barely within the Anglican Communion.  The Diocese of Pittsburgh, to which I have numerous ties, basically left the church.  It is stunning to think that the church where my parents met, where my father served as an alter boy, where my uncle sang in the choir, is no longer technically an Episcopal Church.

Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 05:59:57 PM »

In many ways, there is no longer an Episcopal Church.  There are two wings barely within the Anglican Communion.  The Diocese of Pittsburgh, to which I have numerous ties, basically left the church.  It is stunning to think that the church where my parents met, where my father served as an alter boy, where my uncle sang in the choir, is no longer technically an Episcopal Church.

Just because Pittsburgh, San Joaquin, Fort Worth, and Quincy (as well as the ACNA folks) have decided to affiliate with the Southern Cone over the Church becoming more tolerant and allowing same-sex unions and an openly gay bishop doesn't mean that the church is no longer in existence; the vast bulk of dioceses and members are still part of the ECUSA.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 12:26:56 AM »

Just because Pittsburgh, San Joaquin, Fort Worth, and Quincy (as well as the ACNA folks) have decided to affiliate with the Southern Cone over the Church becoming more tolerant and allowing same-sex unions and an openly gay bishop doesn't mean that the church is no longer in existence; the vast bulk of dioceses and members are still part of the ECUSA.

And Pittsburgh.  Then there are the people who started attending someplace else.  The Church, as a whole has become more fragmented.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 08:39:36 AM »

No, it'll be Mormen from here on out.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 11:12:55 AM »

And Pittsburgh.  Then there are the people who started attending someplace else.  The Church, as a whole has become more fragmented.

I've been an Episcopalian all my life and that's really not accurate. There was a brief period of dissent a few years back when a few dioceses left the church, but I would hardly call it fragmented- even if that doesn't fit the narrative you're trying to push.

I think most people know what the Episcopal church is about, and the acceptance of gay and lesbian clergy is fine with most members, and in fact draws in a lot of liberal Christians who might otherwise have trouble finding a church that suits their progressive views.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 01:15:21 PM »

Probably not. I'd bet on the future being full of Catholic and nonreligious Presidents.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2012, 02:49:28 PM »

Or the Assemblies of God finally getting the Oval Office. Sorry Anglicans but your time in power is fast nearing its end. It's time for Evangelicals and pentacostals to have run of the place. If only Palin were VP.....
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2012, 01:07:30 AM »

I've been an Episcopalian all my life and that's really not accurate. There was a brief period of dissent a few years back when a few dioceses left the church, but I would hardly call it fragmented- even if that doesn't fit the narrative you're trying to push.

I think most people know what the Episcopal church is about, and the acceptance of gay and lesbian clergy is fine with most members, and in fact draws in a lot of liberal Christians who might otherwise have trouble finding a church that suits their progressive views.

I think it is more than that.  Some people are "voting with their feet."  We've lost 38% of our membership since the 1960's.  If frankly think that most Christians don't share those views.  The Methodists are down 28% from the same period, so I would call that a big difference.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2012, 06:50:16 PM »

Don't forget South Carolina.  The Diocese of South Carolina (which actually is just the lower half of the State) will be holding a convention this Saturday to ratify leaving the ECUSA.
Chartist
Rookie

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2012, 09:50:06 PM »

What's wrong with Episcopalians (and by extension Washington and Roosevelt)? Unless you're someone like this guy.

Episcopacy is the tool of of the Antichrist! We had a civil war over this issue, you know.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2012, 10:27:17 PM »

It's likely. Since Protestants are big majority in U.S. Politics.

I'd like to see an Agnostic President or a non-practicing member of a religion in my lifetime though.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2012, 02:34:16 PM »

Episcopacy is the tool of of the Antichrist! We had a civil war over this issue, you know.

And how many Americans know/care?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies