Time to play the Mormon card? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 08:49:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Time to play the Mormon card? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Time to play the Mormon card?  (Read 2571 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« on: October 08, 2012, 02:17:12 AM »

I think so. With Obama in freefall in the polls, the Democrats have no choice

I know this is a troll thread, but whatever.

It would have been a better tactic to use during the primaries to get someone like Santorum and Gingrich nominated, making the general a cakewalk. It's too volatile to try that route in October. Now, if Obama were down by 5-7 points in Ohio...

I think there's a valid case within progressive politics to criticize Mormonism. It heavily involves itself with affecting the outcome in elections and policy, with a dedicated, effective group that actively attempts and has succeeded in some cases in implementing their agenda. Seeing as how their worldview is being brought into politics and seeing how it is pretty antithetical to progressive politics, I think it becomes a valid target. Mitt Romney, in turn, is definitely one of the biggest - if not the biggest - individual contributor to the Mormon Church, which then uses that money in part to fund their moral beliefs that just so happen to be shared in many aspect by Mitt Romney.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 09:37:30 PM »

I am disappointed that some one as reasonable as you could support attacking a man over his faith... I bet you would've been outraged has McCain gone after Rev Wright

It's not that I personally support going after random religions, but rather I am addressing it from a strategic point of campaigning. If they were going to do such a thing, then it should have been done in primary season so as to avoid as much potential backlash as possible.

I do, however, think that if a church or religious group engages in overt and official political action, funneling their money and manpower into campaigns in order to affect the result (most notably, Proposition 8 in California), then that group could hypothetically be viewed as more of a political entity than a religious one. It is at that point - and particularly when you consider that the religious/moral elements are being woven into the political dialogue - that criticism of the values and actions of the Mormon Church can be legitimately discussed in political terms.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 10:08:46 PM »

Even though the Mormons aren't on your side at the moment, they may not be so antithetical to progressives in the long run. After all their church does believe in a constant revelation such that their beliefs could change dramatically at some point in the future with very little ramifications. It's much easier for Mormonism to adapt than most Christian sects with a less fluid concept of morality.

This could be true. While your point is made sincerely, I also noticed some parallels:

Even though the Mormons aren't Mitt Romney isn't on your side at the moment, they he may not be so antithetical to progressives in the long run. After all their church he does believe in a constant revelation such that their his beliefs could change dramatically at some point in the future with very little ramifications. It's much easier for Mormonism Romney to adapt than most Christian sects Republicans with a less fluid concept of morality.

Perhaps he has been receiving constant revelations on the campaign trail?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 10:27:06 PM »

Even though the Mormons aren't Mitt Romney isn't on your side at the moment, they he may not be so antithetical to progressives in the long run. After all their church he does believe in a constant revelation such that their his beliefs could change dramatically at some point in the future with very little ramifications. It's much easier for Mormonism Romney to adapt than most Christian sects Republicans with a less fluid concept of morality.

Perhaps he has been receiving constant revelations on the campaign trail?

Oh please, Obama's positions have 'evolved' an awful lot over the years too. Anyone remember "most transparent president ever"? Someone clearly forgot to tell Rahm Emmanuel that before he goes into the congressional showers.

To be quite honest I have neither the time nor desire to get into a stupid hackfest against you for the remainder of the evening.

I wasn't attempting to argue with you. Certainly you wouldn't try to compare the frequency of Romney's "pivots" to those of Obama's and expect them to be equal in this regard?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies