Time to play the Mormon card? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 08:34:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Time to play the Mormon card? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Time to play the Mormon card?  (Read 2569 times)
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« on: October 09, 2012, 06:18:22 AM »

In fact, the Church has already gone specifically moderate on quite a few issues; in Utah they intervened to show their support for the moderate immigration proposal called the Utah Compact, and in Arizona, there's rumors that they quietly supported anti-immigrant Mormon Republican Russell Pearce's recall opponent (also a Mormon). They also supported an anti-discrimination law in Salt Lake City. Additionally, Orrin Hatch's political survival may be in part due to the LDS Church's specific admonition over the pulpit that Mormons should go out to vote (which also repeatedly pointed out that "there is truth in all political parties and the Church does not endorse any of them"). More moderate delegates turned out at the Utah GOP convention in 2012 than in 2010. Conversely, the LDS Dems went from being formed in mid-2011 to having over 2,000 members in 2012.

Heck, though they haven't said anything, the LDS Church's move to have more energy-efficient and environmentally-friendly buildings is an obvious move towards moderate environmentalism.

The LDS Church will become more politically moderate, just give it time.

That conclusion is contingent on the assumption that our definitions of "liberal", "moderate", and "conservative" do not change. Which may not necessarily be true. After all, I love the Utah Compact a lot, I dislike SB 1070, and I like Orrin Hatch, but half of this board probably considers me a fascist.

And plus, there's already plenty of Mormon Democrats. Harry Reid, for example. I don't think it's a new phenomenon.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies