Livid at The Media after debate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 05:39:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Livid at The Media after debate
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Livid at The Media after debate  (Read 2197 times)
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 08, 2012, 10:18:13 AM »

I am absolutely livid at The Media.

I watched the debate last week, and frankly I think Obama won hands-down. Romney proved himself to be a bully who wants to cancel 'Sesame Street'. Obama seemed above the fray.

But ever since, The Media has repeated nonstop the meme about Obama "losing" the debate. They don't just report it as a matter of what people think, but as a matter of undisputed fact. Instead of saying "a debate that many felt Obama lost", they say "a debate Obama lost", as if it's not even a matter of opinion.

A lot more people felt Obama won until The Media kept claiming he lost. This is such a clear case of manipulating public opinion that frankly it's inexcusable.

Are media outlets receiving Romney superPAC money to report in his favor? After the Citizens United ruling, they can do this now. I am almost 100% certain that this has been going on. If superPAC's can do this, why wouldn't they?
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 10:21:57 AM »

Most do believe Obama lost and that is a good narrative and the media love a good narrative. Same thing happened to Bush after his first debate. Many of his supporters thought he won and attacked the media for calling it for Kerry.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 10:25:32 AM »

I don't like politicians who are bullies.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 10:26:10 AM »

Romney won literally every aspect of the debate.  The "bullying the moderator thing" is not just weak, but wrong.  Most people don't think the moderator should do much of anything except keep time, which Obama spoke for 4 minutes more than Romney, and Jim tried to help Obama several times (he didn't try to help Romney).  

If you can't call the biggest beat down in over 25 years a win or a loss than you can't speak.  

Bush won some aspects of the debate with Kerry, Obama really didn't win anything.     
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 10:27:52 AM »

Obama lost the debate. He got in some good lines, and it wasn't a complete disaster, but if you compare Obama's performance in this last debate to any of his three debates versus McCain in '08, he was clearly not on top of his game. If you look at his stump speeches since, it's clear that even he knows it. He'd better improve in the next two, or else Etch-a-sketch Mitt is going to be sworn in on January 20.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 10:29:24 AM »

Obama's not the guy who brang up the Big Bird crap.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 10:38:32 AM »

Romney won literally every aspect of the debate.  The "bullying the moderator thing" is not just weak, but wrong.  Most people don't think the moderator should do much of anything except keep time, which Obama spoke for 4 minutes more than Romney, and Jim tried to help Obama several times (he didn't try to help Romney).  

If you can't call the biggest beat down in over 25 years a win or a loss than you can't speak.  

Bush won some aspects of the debate with Kerry, Obama really didn't win anything.     

Bush won no aspects of the debate with Kerry. If we're talking about "beat downs", that's a much better candidate to be called one.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 10:40:13 AM »

brought
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 10:42:02 AM »

He is from Kentucky. Tongue
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 10:42:58 AM »

Romney wins on the Big Bird comment, that's why the lefties are going crazy trying to demonize it. 
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 10:44:28 AM »

Hahaha. No.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 10:49:13 AM »

Big Bird doesn't need a subsidy, he is profitable on his own, we are wasting borrowed money for no reason. 
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 10:52:07 AM »

Big Bird doesn't need a subsidy, he is profitable on his own, we are wasting borrowed money for no reason. 

The purpose of 'Sesame Street' isn't to be profitable.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 10:58:21 AM »

I am equally as livid at their biased spin over the last job numbers. For shame, for shame.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2012, 10:59:07 AM »

Wow. Four ignored posts in a row.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2012, 11:00:42 AM »

Their is a lot of profit in Non-profits.  I guess you think medical care and education should be "free" as well.      
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2012, 11:04:02 AM »
« Edited: October 08, 2012, 11:21:54 AM by Clinton1996 "Sec. of Explaining Stuff" »

Their is a lot of profit in Non-profits.  I guess you think medical care and education should be "free" as well.       
How exactly would being profitable with Sesame Street help close the deficit. O ahead and put Big Bird and Elmo in the unemployment line, but you'll face a steep price. A child's scorn. The Republican Party will lose the majority for a generation, or at least til they hit puberty.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2012, 11:05:28 AM »

Their is a lot of profit in Non-profits.  I guess you think medical care and education should be "free" as well.      
How exactly would being profitable with Sesame Street help close the deficit. O ahead and put Big Bird and Elmo in the unemployment line, but you'll face a steep price. A child's scorn. The Republican Party will lose the majority for a generation.

What? same to better service and less inherited debt will enrage children for what reason?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2012, 11:25:55 AM »
« Edited: October 08, 2012, 11:35:40 AM by Beet »

I'm trying to watch the debate now. I read the transcript on election night, but now I'm watching the video to get the human cues. I'm only 20 minutes in, through the first segment, now. It became too painful to watch so I had to turn it off and come on here.

The first thing I noticed is how uncomfortable Obama is. You actually see his jaw dropping during one of Romney's responses, and another time you can see him visibly wincing. When Romney's talking about how the middle class got crushed under him you see him slouching and looking down at his feet. Kind of like when you caught a kid with his hand in the proverbial cookie jar, and he knows you know he's guilty. And to top it all off, at the end of the segment, he doesn't respond to it. He could have easily said a million things. He said nothing.

On the other hand, Romney at one point says, "It's fun, isn't it?" You can tell he's having fun, and the President isn't. The President is just trying to get through it. Whatever else happened in that debate, that's the difference. I have a feel the same dynamic will play out for the rest of the debate.

I will say that I think Obama won that first segment on logic-- Romney never rebutted Obama's charge that his plan didn't add up when you do the math (well, unless you count "there's all sorts of studies", which effectively muddled the issue, esp. since Obama didn't respond). He just sort of repeated his promises but never responded to the substance of what Obama said, even though Obama repeated it two or three times.

I'll have to finish this but first I think I'm going to need lunch... and a drink.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2012, 11:29:25 AM »

You actually see his jaw dropping during one of Romney's responses

That's because Romney is jaw-droppingly bad.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2012, 12:06:36 PM »

Bandit, you should know that the corporate media is right-wing and thus little more than propagandists - as any 'privately owned' media must be.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2012, 12:19:12 PM »

So, you don't think Obama should have gotten those extra four minutes?
rockhound
Rookie

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2012, 12:48:31 PM »

I didn't think Opama particularly underperformed.  When I watched the debate, he was pretty much what I expected.

I think though that the liberal media had painted this god-like view of him that they'd forgotten two important things:  1.  He's not very bright and 2. He's not a good off-the cuff speaker.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2012, 12:49:17 PM »

So, you don't think Obama should have gotten those extra four minutes?

I don't think it's fair.  I believe in equal opportunity, Obama bullied and stole that extra time.  He should stop oppressing people and stealing natural resources.    
Cobbler
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2012, 12:59:47 PM »

Come on, guys. Both candidates pushed Lehrer around for time. Anyone who watches presidential debates shouldn't be surprised that the candidates try to get in as many words as possible.

Obama has never been a great debater, which I think might have surprised some people since they see his skills as an orator and just assume he is a great debater. However, its clear that it wasn't his best debate either, judging from his debates in 2008. I fully expect him to improve for the next one, but I'm still not expecting him to crush Romney in it either. It will be closer next time.

Seriously, the hysteria coming from some people on this board is laughable.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies