Israeli General Election 2013
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:09:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israeli General Election 2013
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 21
Author Topic: Israeli General Election 2013  (Read 71196 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: January 04, 2013, 05:45:39 AM »

Lapid has promised not to sit in a right-haredi-Lapid coalition and I think that such a coalition would be unlikely. Then again, politicians don't often keep their promises.
Fixed that for you. Cheesy
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #251 on: January 04, 2013, 08:10:58 AM »

Lapid has promised not to sit in a right-haredi-Lapid coalition and I think that such a coalition would be unlikely. Then again, politicians often don't keep their promises.
Lapid will not survive in opposition. He's not a legislature, nor does he has any agenda he can promote from the opposition's benches, it will only speed up his party's disintegration
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #252 on: January 05, 2013, 12:30:38 PM »

Interesting things happening this weekend:
- After Shelly's declaration that Labour will either form the government or head the opposition, Livni says she'll meet with her and try forming a block against Likud.
- Lapid was anticipated to join but of course he took the cowards way out saying he want's to "moderate the next government"
- Former head of the Shabak (kinda like MI5) gives a huge interview in which he attacks Barak and Netanyahu as unworthy and motivated by narrow motives. He goes on insisting that they are not the individuals Israel can trust in this delicate times with the Iranian nuclear programme and the Palestinian peace talks.
danny
Israel

« Reply #253 on: January 05, 2013, 01:45:14 PM »

Interesting things happening this weekend:
- After Shelly's declaration that Labour will either form the government or head the opposition, Livni says she'll meet with her and try forming a block against Likud.
- Lapid was anticipated to join but of course he took the cowards way out saying he want's to "moderate the next government"
As long as the current coalition combines to over 60 mandates, all this could cause is to force Bibi to continue the current coalition. If Lapid could come in instead of the Haredim, he could change things, so you could call him a coward, but he's not wrong.

- Former head of the Shabak (kinda like MI5) gives a huge interview in which he attacks Barak and Netanyahu as unworthy and motivated by narrow motives. He goes on insisting that they are not the individuals Israel can trust in this delicate times with the Iranian nuclear programme and the Palestinian peace talks.

I expect to see him in the next elections on the list of Labour/some centrist party.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #254 on: January 05, 2013, 03:17:22 PM »

According to Ha'aretz, Lapid's exact phrasing was that he "won't sit with Shas in an extreme-right-wing coalition", before coming right around and saying that it's important to moderate the Netanyahu government. Also he says he'll only sit in government if Livni approves. The logical conclusion is that he wants to join but would like to exclude Shas. Of course, prior to the '09 election, Lieberman also wanted to sit in the coalition, just without Shas, but Shas wormed their way in anyhow.

Anyway, what Lapid wants to see, I think, is Hatnuah+Yesh Atid+Likud Beiteinu+some right-wing parties other than Shas (Bayit Yehudi is the obvious one, but perhaps UTJ as well). In the Jerusalem Post poll, this would add up to 73 seats (68 if you exclude UTJ). Such a coalition would see Netanyahu as ideologically average, so I think this is roughly what he would like to see as well.

Of course, this is Israeli coalition-building, so really anything goes.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #255 on: January 05, 2013, 09:18:06 PM »

Livni isn't going to join Netanyahu. Nor is Lapid going to base his decision on Livni. There's no love lost between them. If there was. He would have joined her list as her number 2. Netanyahu doesn't want a coalition as narrow as Likud-Jewish Home-Shas-UTJ, nor does he want a coalition as narrow as Likud-Jewish Home-Yesh Atid. The final coalition will be Likud-Jewish Home-Shas-Yesh Atid. Lapid's statement that he wouldn't sit with Shas was full of weasel words. He'll end up sitting with such a far right government by claiming his own presence stops it from being far right.
danny
Israel

« Reply #256 on: January 07, 2013, 09:42:13 AM »
« Edited: January 07, 2013, 11:34:56 AM by danny »

Mako poll:

Likud Beitenu: 32
Labour: 16
JH-NU: 16
Shas: 10
Yesh Atid: 10
The Movement: 9
UTJ: 6
Meretz: 5
RAAM-TAAL: 5
Hadash: 4
Otzma: 3
Am Shalem: 2
Balad:2
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #257 on: January 07, 2013, 09:45:02 AM »

Why has Likud been steadily dropping? They started at 40 and are now at 32... pretty soon they'll be back where they started, below 30.
danny
Israel

« Reply #258 on: January 07, 2013, 09:51:54 AM »

Why has Likud been steadily dropping? They started at 40 and are now at 32... pretty soon they'll be back where they started, below 30.
Bibi is running a bad campaign (as usual) while Bennet is running a great one, and is siphoning off all those Likud voters.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #259 on: January 07, 2013, 10:26:19 AM »

Considering that at the last election Likud and YB together had 42 seats, it was 40 smthg where they started. Having 32 seats between the two is pretty damn bad.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #260 on: January 07, 2013, 11:00:54 AM »

Considering that at the last election Likud and YB together had 42 seats, it was 40 smthg where they started. Having 32 seats between the two is pretty damn bad.
Don't forget Lieberman already states that following the election the union is off (so Likud will stay with around 22 seats at best)
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #261 on: January 08, 2013, 06:32:53 AM »

Channel 10 poll from yesterday:

Likud - 35
Labour - 17
JH - 14
Shas - 12
Lapid - 11
Livni - 7
UTJ - 6
Meretz - 5
Ra'am - 4
Balad -4
Hadash - 3
Kadima - 2
danny
Israel

« Reply #262 on: January 10, 2013, 04:32:03 AM »
« Edited: January 10, 2013, 04:48:36 AM by danny »

A poll about opinions rather than voting intentions shows a right wing majority (55%) compared to the centre (21%) and left (17%). Om the economy it's 33% social-democrat, 40% centrist, 22% capitalist. A majority support both a two state solution and keeping the settlements...
A huge majority oppose relinquishing the Golan (84%).

Link in English
danny
Israel

« Reply #263 on: January 10, 2013, 06:09:07 PM »

poll by Mishal Cham:

Likud Beitenu: 35
Labour: 16
JH-NU: 13
Shas: 11
Yesh Atid: 9
The Movement: 8
UTJ: 6
Meretz: 5
Kadima: 3
Otzma: 2
Am Shalem: 2
"Arab parties": 10
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #264 on: January 10, 2013, 06:30:05 PM »

So LB has stabilized, at least for now.
danny
Israel

« Reply #265 on: January 11, 2013, 11:40:11 AM »

Political ads are on TV now, and the one making the biggest noise is this one from Shas, which drew wide ranging condemnation for its perceived  anti Russian racism.

http://youtu.be/A-auotGWUeM
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #266 on: January 11, 2013, 01:13:46 PM »
« Edited: January 11, 2013, 01:20:32 PM by Vosem »

Political ads are on TV now, and the one making the biggest noise is this one from Shas, which drew wide ranging condemnation for its perceived  anti Russian racism.

I find it extremely funny considering most of my acquaintances' first thought of what a stereotypical Russian would look like is me, and I look very much like the dude in that ad...

Of course, we already knew Shas are assholes.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #267 on: January 11, 2013, 02:05:04 PM »

If anyone wants, this person has a channel with ads from different parties subtitled in English:
http://www.youtube.com/user/IsraeliElections2013?feature=watch

Also, it's probably some Israeli thing I'm not aware of, but it looks like the girls at 1:23 in this Hatnuah ad are doing the Gangam Style dance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=RGUE6yW9yjQ#t=82s
XD
danny
Israel

« Reply #268 on: January 11, 2013, 03:00:14 PM »

If anyone wants, this person has a channel with ads from different parties subtitled in English:
http://www.youtube.com/user/IsraeliElections2013?feature=watch

Also, it's probably some Israeli thing I'm not aware of, but it looks like the girls at 1:23 in this Hatnuah ad are doing the Gangam Style dance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=RGUE6yW9yjQ#t=82s
XD

No, that's just Gangnam Style, it's big everywhere.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #269 on: January 12, 2013, 10:10:18 AM »

Political ads are on TV now, and the one making the biggest noise is this one from Shas, which drew wide ranging condemnation for its perceived  anti Russian racism.

I find it extremely funny considering most of my acquaintances' first thought of what a stereotypical Russian would look like is me, and I look very much like the dude in that ad...
He doesn't look Russian... she kind of does, though.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #270 on: January 12, 2013, 10:26:18 AM »

Political ads are on TV now, and the one making the biggest noise is this one from Shas, which drew wide ranging condemnation for its perceived  anti Russian racism.

Wow, that is racist.

If you are willing to move to a tribal state, you should be expecting that your tribal membership might be questioned. I would have been enraged if this were happening in any civilized country, but here it seems hilariously appropriate.
danny
Israel

« Reply #271 on: January 12, 2013, 12:01:15 PM »

Poll from channel 1:

Likud Beitenu- 33
Labour - 16
JH-NU - 15
Shas - 10
Yesh Atid - 10
The Movement - 9
Meretz - 6
UTJ - 5
Raam-Taal - 4
Hadash - 4
Balad -3
Otzma- 3
Kadima - 2
danny
Israel

« Reply #272 on: January 12, 2013, 01:31:47 PM »

Poll from Forbes:

Likud Beitenu- 34
Labour - 17
JH-NU - 14
Yesh Atid - 11
Shas - 9
The Movement - 9
UTJ - 6
Meretz - 5
Raam-Taal - 4
Hadash - 3
Balad -3
Otzma- 3
Kadima - 2
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #273 on: January 12, 2013, 08:26:33 PM »

And Netanyahu is once again ruining Israel's reputation and making most Israelis look bad, showing that the current government has no interest in peace at Bab Al-Shams. I mean, I support Israel generally, but these people are non-violent protestors.
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #274 on: January 12, 2013, 08:30:37 PM »
« Edited: January 12, 2013, 08:32:14 PM by hawkeye59 »

Plus, they were ignoring the Israeli Supreme Court. Also, according to Haaretz, this was private Palestinian land. Danny, as an Israeli, what is your opinion on this?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 21  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies