Religion by county
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:51:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Religion by county
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Religion by county  (Read 6023 times)
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2005, 01:20:26 PM »

wow, it turns out that some very heavily Democratic counties in Minnesota are FAR more religiou8s than ultra-Republican Scott and Sherburne counties! Now maybe conservative morons will quit claiming Democrats hate Christians.

And maybe silly liberal secularists will stop saying religious folks = conservatives...

...right, BRTD? ;-P
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2005, 01:23:34 PM »

Pretty much the only one here who does is opebo. Sherburne and Scott counties are both full of affluent white collar yuppie folks who I hate as much as the religious right.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2005, 02:04:58 PM »

Pretty much the only one here who does is opebo. Sherburne and Scott counties are both full of affluent white collar yuppie folks who I hate as much as the religious right.

Well, nclib, jfern, and phnkrocket seem to share some of those attitudes. I'm a religious centrist, Al's a religious populist, and you seem to be a religious leftist, so it's pretty clear that being religious doesn't equate to a particular political philosophy.

And yes, I noted in NM that Santa Fe County - yuppie land ho! - as well as Otero County are both not very religious but voted radically different whereas places like San Miguel and Lea counties are both very religious and also voted radically different.

I dislike Yuppies quite a bit, actually...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2005, 02:09:42 PM »

And yes, I noted in NM that Santa Fe County - yuppie land ho! - as well as Otero County are both not very religious but voted radically different whereas places like San Miguel and Lea counties are both very religious and also voted radically different.

San Miguel is the next county I'm profiling... I actually posted it this morning but it got wiped by "connection problems" >:-(

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I hate Yuppies
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2005, 02:12:13 PM »

San Miguel is the next county I'm profiling... I actually posted it this morning but it got wiped by "connection problems" >:-(

Awww. Well, keep up the good work! Kiki

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I hate Yuppies
[/quote]

And Santa Fe is teeming with them...
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2005, 02:17:32 PM »

You ought to notice how low the religious adherent population is in West Virginia.  Interesting compared to social voting patterns.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2005, 02:19:55 PM »

Also interesting:

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2005, 02:58:17 PM »

You ought to notice how low the religious adherent population is in West Virginia. 

I knew that anyway ;-)

There's a deep seated mistrust of priests/preachers/ministers in a lot of the Central part of Appalachia (despite most people there being pretty/very relgious themselves).

It's why the Relgious Right have never made any real inroads into the area :-)
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2005, 03:21:59 PM »

wow, it turns out that some very heavily Democratic counties in Minnesota are FAR more religiou8s than ultra-Republican Scott and Sherburne counties! Now maybe conservative morons will quit claiming Democrats hate Christians.

And maybe silly liberal secularists will stop saying religious folks = conservatives...

...right, BRTD? ;-P
The correlation between Bush and Kerry states vs. religious and non-religious states isn't all that clear, judging by the map.  OH is a case in point: it is one of the less religious states, but pundits after the election repeatedly talked about moral issues winning the race for Bush.

It's funny that El Paso County, CO has a lower adherent rate (<50%) than Pueblo County.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2005, 04:13:44 PM »

Wow!  The presence of Baptits is analmost perfect correlation with general awfullness and bad voting.

Gad, my own state looks so Southern in this map.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2005, 05:02:25 PM »

If its self-defined religous, you won't get anywhere.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2005, 04:37:19 PM »

As per WV and other parts of central Appalachia: IIRC small, unaffiliated, charismatic churches tend to be somewhat undercounted in these surveys (or rather, some of them are counted accurately, others not at all.)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2005, 04:49:39 PM »

As per WV and other parts of central Appalachia: IIRC small, unaffiliated, charismatic churches tend to be somewhat undercounted in these surveys (or rather, some of them are counted accurately, others not at all.)

True. A lot of them aren't *technically* churches as such (which also messes the figures up).
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies