Does anyone else feel similar to this guy?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:29:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Does anyone else feel similar to this guy?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Does anyone else feel similar to this guy?  (Read 348 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 09, 2012, 10:18:01 PM »

Ran into him at a show about a week ago. The conversation we had reminded me of a lot of people on this forum's attitudes:

Guy: Uh, hey. Have I seen you before? You sure look familiar.
Me: Other shows around here? I go to a lot...
Guy: No it was definitely from something else. Did you go to the U?
Me: No I graduated from Mankato and have never spent much time around there.
Guy: Oh wait it was Rybak! Yeah Rybak's gubernatorial campaign in 2010! I remember you as the only other person there who know what grindcore was!
Me: Oh yes, now I remember!
Guy: So you going to *band band show shows upcoming*?
Me: Yeah I'll try to check those out. What else are you up to? I kind of want to get involved in the whole anti-amendment campaign since Obama seems to have Minnesota locked up and there aren't interesting state races...
Guy: Haha, I completely fell out of that stuff. I was doing jobs and internships for the DFL in 2010 but now I've only been focused on my band and going to shows. I haven't done any political stuff in over a year.
Me: So did you even vote in the primary?
Guy: Nah. Obviously I'll vote for Obama and against the amendments in November but I'm kind of burnt out on that stuff and not too interested in getting involved again.

And I couldn't blame him. Honestly I feel kind of the same way. 2006 and 2008 were epic battles that I had to dedicate myself to, and 2010 was also something I had to fight for because of what we were facing but now? Bleh. I think I know how uninspired people were in 1996 and 1998 now.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 10:41:55 PM »

Face it BRTD. You are getting less political. You have more other interests to compete.  Sorry to say it, since I never wanted to grow up, and still fight it, but you are growing up. Deal with it. 
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 10:44:33 PM »

Face it BRTD. You are getting less political. You have more other interests to compete.  Sorry to say it, since I never wanted to grow up, and still fight it, but you are growing up. Deal with it. 

Well if it's only because of aging you'd kind of expect shows to go before politics. Tongue
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 11:04:19 PM »

Face it BRTD. You are getting less political. You have more other interests to compete.  Sorry to say it, since I never wanted to grow up, and still fight it, but you are growing up. Deal with it.  

Well if it's only because of aging you'd kind of expect shows to go before politics. Tongue

Not in my case. Going wild is grand! I still love politics of course, but well, I have other interests. Frankly given the way things are going (and how the political class is handling it), if you didn't have other interests, and found politics all consuming, then if you had some sense of reality, you would get into heavy drugs, be depressed, be an angry nutter, and/or worse.
Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 07:35:59 AM »

No, not at all. I'm 10x more interested in politics now than I was in 08.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 07:59:07 AM »

BRTD's case is different from yours - he's a poor and will be very badly effected by the Romney adminstration.  Obviously your situation is rather ideal barring the revolution.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 08:31:29 AM »

I had already largely lost interest in that stuff by 2010; this year certainly hasn't done much to reawaken it.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 09:35:06 AM »

I had already largely lost interest in that stuff by 201008; this year certainly hasn't done much to reawaken it.

This. Though apply it more generally for this non-American.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 12:38:06 PM »

No, not at all. I'm 10x more interested in politics now than I was in 08.

You were like, 10.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 01:27:12 PM »

this scares me. the thought of not having an interest in politics is mortifying. i am an econ poli sci major. i am making this my career, i want a job i love- shall i find that it is a prison? i am a "nerd", in the sense my academic interests and my personal interests are one and the same- why i go to lectures in my free time. this is very scary, torie.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 02:12:13 PM »

^ Yep. It's a good thing, really - I've never been as hugely invested in politics as some people on here - I never got up at 6AM or whatever to check polls like Tender does Tongue - but my interest in politics even as a passing hobby has waned greatly in the last few years. I really can't relate to the kind of enthusiasm some people have for the theatre of politics, especially American politics - like (bad example) Bushie being all excited to watch the conventions. I'm certainly apathetic about my own country's politics, and if Mitt Romney becomes President the sheer disgust of that event might be the thing that makes me lose interest in the insane spectacle that is American politics once and for all. That might not be such a bad thing.

I worry about some of the teenagers here who seem so invested in becoming a Senator in 2032 or whatever. Tongue

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies