Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 26, 2014, 04:08:17 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections
| |-+  Atlas Fantasy Government
| | |-+  Regional Governments (Moderator: Gustaf)
| | | |-+  MA: Unnamed Bill #1 of the 26th Assembly (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: MA: Unnamed Bill #1 of the 26th Assembly (Failed)  (Read 272 times)
Assemblyman & Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 1.48

P P P

View Profile WWW
« on: October 09, 2012, 11:05:35 pm »
Ignore

1. In order to commemorate some of the Mideast's greatest leaders, the states of the best region in Atlasia shall be renamed as follows: Illinois shall henceforth be known as Lincoln. Indiana shall henceforth be known as Debs. Kentucky shall henceforth be known as Clay. Maryland shall henceforth be known as Marshall. Michigan shall henceforth be known as Ford. Missouri shall henceforth be known as Truman. Ohio shall henceforth be known as Taft. Virginia shall henceforth be known as Jefferson. West Virginia shall henceforth be known as Byrd. Wisconsin shall henceforth be known as La Follette.
Sponsor: Gass3268
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 12:04:21 am by Assemblyman & Queen Mum Inks.LWC »Logged
tmthforu94
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 12:09:36 am »
Ignore

I have a slight issue with this - Mainly, none of these folks exist in Atlasia - to Atlasians, they're all foreign.

However, if I'm outnumbered by a veto-proof majority, all I request is that Indiana be changed to Lugar, even Bayh if it comes down to it. But Debs? Please no.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives."
-Jackie Robinson
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 01:40:58 am »
Ignore

I'm opposed to this.  It causes confusion.
The Roose is Loose
jdb
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 11:33:07 am »
Ignore

I have a slight issue with this - Mainly, none of these folks exist in Atlasia - to Atlasians, they're all foreign.

However, if I'm outnumbered by a veto-proof majority, all I request is that Indiana be changed to Lugar, even Bayh if it comes down to it. But Debs? Please no.

As long as Ohio can be changed from Taft to Johnson (Cleveland Mayor Tom Johnson).  I think speak for most Ohioans when I say that I am strongly opposed to calling our state Taft.  That name is pretty much dead to the state after Bob Taft's tenure.

Cool Grin Tongue Smiley Sad Huh Angry Wink Roll Eyes Undecided Cheesy
Shocked Lips sealed

Gass3268
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 12:15:30 pm »
Ignore

I thought the idea of Atlasia was that it was a continuation/reboot/improvement of the United States since 2004?

While I'd rather name the states after leaders that have passed on, I would be cool with naming Indiana Lugar if you are willing to approve the bill.

As long as Ohio can be changed from Taft to Johnson (Cleveland Mayor Tom Johnson).  I think speak for most Ohioans when I say that I am strongly opposed to calling our state Taft.  That name is pretty much dead to the state after Bob Taft's tenure.

What about Grant or Sherman? For Grant, I am thinking more of his Civil War service then his 2 terms as President.
The Roose is Loose
jdb
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 12:55:41 pm »
Ignore

I thought the idea of Atlasia was that it was a continuation/reboot/improvement of the United States since 2004?

While I'd rather name the states after leaders that have passed on, I would be cool with naming Indiana Lugar if you are willing to approve the bill.

What about Grant or Sherman? For Grant, I am thinking more of his Civil War service then his 2 terms as President.

I don't think either could be called "great leaders."  Great generals to be sure, but not great political leaders.

Shocked Lips sealed

Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 04:09:09 pm »
Ignore

What exactly is it that this bill does?  Is it legally changing the names?
Gass3268
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 06:19:52 pm »
Ignore

Yeah, Michigan would from now on be called Ford, Virginia would be called Jefferson, etc.
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 01:42:40 am »
Ignore

But if we're legally changing the name, that would have to be a constitutional amendment, and it may even conflict with federal law.
R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.55, S: -7.91

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 07:01:34 am »
Ignore

Like I said, only the Midwest gets to have different state names. For us to try and copy that would look asinine, to be honest.

shua
YaBB God
Russian Federation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 11:37:05 am »
Ignore

Missouri should be called Danforth.

R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 12:34:24 pm »
Ignore

Missouri should be called Danforth.

It should be called Missouri.

Gass3268
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 02:24:38 pm »
Ignore

But if we're legally changing the name, that would have to be a constitutional amendment, and it may even conflict with federal law.

The Midwest already did it with just a regular law, why cant't we. 

Like I said, only the Midwest gets to have different state names. For us to try and copy that would look asinine, to be honest.

I don't see the problem with the Mideast trying something similar but different.
R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 03:26:48 pm »
Ignore

I don't see the problem with the Mideast trying something similar but different.

It's confusing and superfluous.

Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 11:48:56 am »
Ignore

Seeing no futher debate, this is brought to a final vote.  Members will vote AYE, NAY, or ABSTAIN.  This will be a 48-hour vote.
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2012, 12:29:54 pm »
Ignore

NAY
R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2012, 04:31:28 pm »
Ignore

Nay

Gass3268
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2012, 05:33:16 pm »
Ignore

AYE!
The Roose is Loose
jdb
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2012, 09:26:44 am »
Ignore

Aye

Shocked Lips sealed

Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2012, 12:34:51 am »
Ignore

Voting is now closed.  The AYEs are 2, and the NAYs are 2, with 1 not voting.  The AYEs not having a majority, the bill has failed.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout