Is it ok for white people....
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:40:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Is it ok for white people....
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Poll
Question: to honor their history and heritage?
(D) - Yes

(D) - No

(R) - Yes

(R) - No

(I) - Yes

(I) - No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 70

Author Topic: Is it ok for white people....  (Read 10301 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2005, 09:18:02 PM »

Uh, I have no problem with it. But I don't see why I would want to be proud of the fact that I'm white over my nationality.

Hungarian?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2005, 09:21:52 PM »

Sigh......

Being proud of your race is just stupid.  Doesn't matter if you're white, black, asian, whatever.  It's just stupid.  Should you be proud that you have brown hair?  Should you be proud that you have blue eyes?  No, because it's ridiculous to be proud of a cosmetic genetic trait.

You should be proud of being smart.  You should be proud of being successful.  You should be proud of having and maintaining a free society.  You should NOT be proud of being born with a particular skin color.

So then, I am wrong to be proud of my Irish heritage?

I don't think so.  It is part of who I am.

Am I to asume then that you take the "modernist" stance on nationalism?
Cashcow

« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2005, 09:23:38 PM »

Uh, I have no problem with it. But I don't see why I would want to be proud of the fact that I'm white over my nationality.

Hungarian?

Yep. Did you know it off-hand or look at the URL? Wink

I like my Hungarian heritage, however, otherwise I agree with KEmperor. One should be most proud of accomplishments.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2005, 09:27:41 PM »

Sigh......

Being proud of your race is just stupid.  Doesn't matter if you're white, black, asian, whatever.  It's just stupid.  Should you be proud that you have brown hair?  Should you be proud that you have blue eyes?  No, because it's ridiculous to be proud of a cosmetic genetic trait.

You should be proud of being smart.  You should be proud of being successful.  You should be proud of having and maintaining a free society.  You should NOT be proud of being born with a particular skin color.

No.  Being proud of your nation is reasonable, if your nation is worthy of being praised.   That's why I included: "You should be proud of having and maintaining a free society."  But do you consider yourself an Irishman or an American?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2005, 09:58:20 PM »

Sigh......

No.  Being proud of your nation is reasonable, if your nation is worthy of being praised.   That's why I included: "You should be proud of having and maintaining a free society."  But do you consider yourself an Irishman or an American?

An American, though I still identify with the Irish.  If, for some reason, the U.S. and Ireland went to war, I would have split feelings over it.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2005, 10:08:18 PM »

Why the  not, all the minorities do it...
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2005, 10:14:13 PM »

Im proud to be english and welsh, theres nothing wrong with it
TexasPatriot2024
TexasPatriot
Rookie

« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2005, 11:02:21 PM »

It's ok to celebrate thier cultural heritage(ie Welsh, Scots, Bavarians), but not thier racial heritage.

I couldn't have put it better myself.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2005, 11:48:57 PM »

Sigh......

Erin go bragh, Soult.  I don't identify with being white really because there is no real common culture or shared heritage.  I suppose it is different in the South because most people's lineage is further back and they have lost quite a bit of their European heritage- Therefore, many identify with the more recent events of the Civil War.  In the Northeast  most white people identify with their ancestry strongly and there are often tremendous rivalries and antagonism between the different white ethnic communities. 
Hitchabrut
republicanjew18

Political Matrix
E: 8.38, S: 7.49

« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2005, 08:17:39 AM »

Not in the conventional sense.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2005, 10:26:37 AM »
« Edited: February 01, 2005, 01:12:43 PM by dazzleman »

Erin go bragh, Soult.  I don't identify with being white really because there is no real common culture or shared heritage.  I suppose it is different in the South because most people's lineage is further back and they have lost quite a bit of their European heritage- Therefore, many identify with the more recent events of the Civil War.  In the Northeast  most white people identify with their ancestry strongly and there are often tremendous rivalries and antagonism between the different white ethnic communities. 

The antagonisms between different white ethnic communities are found mostly in the lower middle class, and tend to go away as people move up the economic ladder.

I think there is a difference between healthy and unhealthy ethnic identification.  I believe that much of the ethnocentrism is being encouraged by politically correct forces today is unhealthy.  Things like the St. Patrick's Day Parade are perfectly healthy.  They celebrate the past in a harmless way (as long as you don't get too hammered at the parade) without limiting or restricting the way a person lives his life in the present or future.

But when ethnic identification forms the core of your identity, alters the way you look at the world, sets you apart from the rest of society, and limits the way in which you live your life, then it is unhealthy.  Politically correct ethnocentrism meets all this criteria, while old-fashioned celebrations of St. Patrick's Day, or the rivalry with St. Joseph's Day, as an example, really do not.

I think that overemphasis on minority status, or even on the results of the civil war, are not healthy because they keep people mired in the conflicts of the past.

I have noticed that there are two types of Irish.  The first kind is still consumed with distaste and hatred for all things English, and can recite the exact dates and times of every 200-300 year old atrocity committed against them by the English.  The other kind, which is more prevalent, has simply dismissed all this as if it never happened, while still retaining the positive parts of the heritage.  Most of my family is in the latter camp, though there were a few of the older generation who were in the first camp.  I think the behavior of those in the latter camp is healthier, and should be emulated by other ethnic groups.  The focus on the past is what helps keep many of these groups in figurative chains, and the sad part is that in part (but not fully, see next paragraph) they are doing it to themselves.

I would also add that those who say that their ethnic heritage within the caucasian race (i.e., Irish, Italian) affects their life more than being white are mistaken.  Being white, as opposed to something else, affects everything, so much so that we often don't realize it.  As an example, when I was looking for a place to live, I didn't have to worry that I wouldn't be wanted in certain desirable neighborhoods because of who I am.  And yet this is a central concern for blacks.  Blacks who are successful, and don't want to live in high-crime ghetto neighborhoods, particularly face this problem, because there are so few higher class neighborhoods with access to good schools that have a significant black presence.  In my general area, I can't think of a single one.  So blacks are forced to choose in many cases to (a) live in an area that offers a lower quality of life, and lower quality of education, than an area where a white person of similar economic status would live, or (b) risk going into an area where they may not be comfortable or accepted.  True, I would not be accepted in a black neighborhood.  But I have a very wide range of choices of nice places to live without even considering a black neighborhood.  Blacks, for the most part, do not have those choices.

This is why I believe in the de-emphasis of ethnic identification, and the judging of people by their behavior instead.  I am not a liberal, but it is not liberal to want to throw away false distinctions among people.  That doesn't mean I am open to anybody living in my neighborhood; if they behave like trash, I don't want them there, and that goes for blacks, whites or anybody else.  But nobody should be considered trash simply because of their color.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2005, 12:04:09 PM »

The antagonisms between different white ethnic communities are found mostly in the lower middle class, and tend to go away as people move up the economic ladder.

I think there is a difference between healthy and unhealthy ethnic identification.  I believe that much of the ethnocentrism is being encouraged by politically correct forces today is unhealthy.  Things like the St. Patrick's Day Parade are perfectly healthy.  They celebrate the past in a harmless way (as long as you don't get too hammered at the parade) without limiting or restricting the way a person lives his life in the present or future.

But when ethnic identification forms the core of your identity, alters the way you look at the world, sets you apart from the rest of society, and limits the way in which you live your life, then it is unhealthy.  Politically correct ethnocentrism meets all this criteria, while old-fashioned celebrations of St. Patrick's Day, or the rivalry with St. Joseph's Day, as an example, really do not.

I think that overemphasis on minority status, or even on the results of the civil war, are not healthy because they keep people mired in the conflicts of the past.

I have noticed that there are two types of Irish.  The first kind is still consumed with distaste and hatred for all things English, and can recite the exact dates and times of every 200-300 year old atrocity committed against them by the English.  The other kind, which is more prevalent, has simply dismissed all this as if it never happened, while still retaining the positive parts of the heritage.  Most of my family is in the latter camp, though there were a few of the older generation who were in the first camp.  I think the behavior of those in the latter camp is healthier, and should be emulated by other ethnic groups.  The focus on the past is what helps keep many of these groups in figurative chains, and the sad part is that in part (but not fully, see next paragraph) they are doing it to themselves.

I would also add that those who say that their ethnic heritage within the caucasian race (i.e., Irish, Italian) affects their life more than being white are mistaken.  Being white, as opposed to something else, affects everything, so much so that we often don't realize it.  As an example, when I was looking for a place to live, I didn't have to worry that I wouldn't be wanted in certain desirable neighborhoods because of who I am.  And yet this is a central concern for blacks.  Blacks who are successful, and don't want to live in high-crime ghetto neighborhoods, particularly face this problem, because there are so few higher class neighborhoods with access to good schools that have a significant black presence.  In my general area, I can't think of a single one.  So blacks are forced to choose in many cases to (a) live in an area that offers a lower quality of life, and lower quality of education, than an area where a white person of similar economic status would live, or (b) risk going into an area where they may not be comfortable or accepted.  True, I would not be accepted in a black neighborhood.  But I have a very wide range of choices of nice places to live without even considering a black neighborhood.  Blacks, for the most part, do not have those choices.

This is why I believe in the de-emphasis of ethnic identification, and the judging of people by their behavior instead.  I am not a liberal, but it is not liberal to want to throw away false distinctions among people.  That doesn't mean I am open to anybody living in my behavior; if they behave like trash, I don't want them there, and that goes for blacks, whites or anybody else.  But nobody should be considered trash because of their color.

profound.  yes, I'm a big fan of the US idea of the "melting pot" rather than the canadian ideal of the "cultural mosaic"  That said, the USA hasn't achieved the melting pot any more than the canadians have achieved its melting pot.  This is often a subject of discussion between myself and my Canadian microbiologist neighbor on our kayaking expeditions in the many streams, rivers, and bayous of the Deep South.  One thing is for sure, balkanization of the US populace has more disadvantages than advantages.  I recognize only one ethnicity in the family of my parents and siblings:  USA.  And when my wife becomes a US citizen, we shall have one ethnicity in my own family:  USA.  Sure, we'll continue to eat salty pork dishes with two sticks, but our ethnicity will be the melted one that is this great nation.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2005, 03:12:35 PM »

I suppose it's "okay", but it's not appropriate nor analogous to other groups celebrating their heritage.

Most minority groups' celebration of their own heritage have to do with overcoming oppression.

That said, cultural pride (Irish, Italian, Jewish) is fine.
Governor PiT
Robert Stark
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -0.87

« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2007, 05:13:05 PM »

Yes, all people's have a right to honor their heritage, no more so than others.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2007, 05:19:17 PM »

What exactly is white people's "History and heritage"?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2007, 05:44:00 PM »

Our founding of civilization perhaps?
Governor PiT
Robert Stark
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -0.87

« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2007, 05:46:22 PM »

includes many cultures but I would say the heritage of western civilization which is being eroded in schools.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2007, 05:47:07 PM »

Well according to the latest archaelogical evidence the first civilisations (Define Civilisation for a start? Here I'm referring just to settled towns) were based around South America and were probably ethnically Mextico.

And should go without that "civilization" has not exactly been without it's bad aspects (how people are now dead in the name of "civilization"?)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: October 05, 2007, 05:49:03 PM »

Well according to the latest archaelogical evidence the first civilisations (Define Civilisation for a start? Here I'm referring just to settled towns) were based around South America and were probably ethnically Mextico.

And should go without that "civilization" has not exactly been without it's bad aspects (how people are now dead in the name of "civilization"?)

How many people are dead in the name of tribal identity? I personally consider any group that doesn't have well defined political borders and no centralized cities as uncivilized.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2007, 05:51:42 PM »

How many people are dead in the name of tribal identity? I personally consider any group that doesn't have well defined political borders and no centralized cities as uncivilized.

So civilization started somewhere around the 1400s-1500s?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: October 05, 2007, 05:55:22 PM »

The Romans had cities. You fail, try again.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2007, 05:57:24 PM »

I personally consider any group that doesn't have well defined political borders and no centralized cities as uncivilized.

How in the world do arbitrary lines on a map make the people within them civilized?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2007, 05:59:42 PM »

I personally consider any group that doesn't have well defined political borders and no centralized cities as uncivilized.

How in the world do arbitrary lines on a map make the people within them civilized?

Which society do you think has more chances of advancing humanity? One society who is relatively settled and stable or a society that is sheltered from its' neighbors and is constantly at war?

Easier still, which society had a better chance of advancing humanity ; Native Americans isolated in North America or Europe/Asia?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2007, 06:00:16 PM »

Of course civilization was not founded by any 'white people'.  Secondly, the history of white people is the successful slaughter and enslavement of both other white people, and particularly non-white people.  Lastly, what business is it of yours to judge whether a group is 'civilized' or not?  Of course what is defined as civilized is in fact he who wins, and thus he who is a better killer and enslaver. 

As in all intellectual efforts we have failed to place enough emphasis on power and violence in our examination of 'civilization'.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #74 on: October 05, 2007, 06:02:48 PM »

The Romans had cities. You fail, try again.

The Babylonians had cities.  You fail, say something germane to the discussion (of "centralized cities").
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies