Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 30, 2014, 09:15:11 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Forum Community
| |-+  Off-topic Board (Moderators: Torie, The Mikado, Badger)
| | |-+  Sports Athletes and Steroids
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Poll
Question: Whenever you watch a game, do you automatically assume the players are doping to improve their performance, or do you think they really are talented at what they do?
Assume the players are using steroids   -4 (40%)
Assume the players are genuinely talented, and are 'clean'   -6 (60%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 10

Author Topic: Sports Athletes and Steroids  (Read 309 times)
Frodo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« on: October 10, 2012, 06:00:11 pm »
Ignore

Since we are in the midst of football season...  
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 06:02:28 pm by Frodo »Logged

tweed
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.52, S: -8.00

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 06:05:12 pm »
Ignore

neither, don't care that much
tweed
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 06:05:58 pm »
Ignore

genuinely talented / using steroids are not mutually exclusive
GM Napoleon
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 06:06:55 pm »
Ignore

What Tweed said.

When I was in the third grade, I thought that I was Jewish
Because I could count, my nose was big, and I kept my bank account fullish
I told my mom, tears blurring my vision
He said, "Mort, you've loved God since before circumcision"
Frodo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 06:08:08 pm »
Ignore

If you think you need drugs to improve your performance on the field, you must not be as good as everyone thinks you are.  

A real athlete doesn't need steroids.  

tweed
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 06:12:47 pm »
Ignore

If you think you need drugs to improve your performance on the field, you must not be as good as everyone thinks you are. 

much like the capitalists, a great athlete is never content with a certain level of performance, no matter how high that level is.  they're indoctrinated to be ultra-competitive from very very young ages and drugs are used as a tool to reach the even greater heights: Bonds 2001-2004 as a perfect example.
Platypus
hughento
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 06:31:09 pm »
Ignore

If I'm watching cycling, it's all a bit more complex, but generally when I watch sport I assume the athletes are clean. That said, I only really watch tennis and footy with regularity, and neither is really steroid-friendly.

patrick1
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 10:04:22 pm »
Ignore

much like the capitalists, a great athlete is never content with a certain level of performance, no matter how high that level is.  they're indoctrinated to be ultra-competitive from very very young ages and drugs are used as a tool to reach the even greater heights: Bonds 2001-2004 as a perfect example.

Agree with everything Tweed has said essentially but it should be noted that most of these athletes are capitalists as well.  In most cases, there is also. monetary reward component to the decision making process to use.
Frodo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 10:17:55 pm »
Ignore

So it doesn't bother anyone here that those sports athletes we watch on television or in a stadium are on steroids?  It doesn't detract from your enjoyment of the game -even if you spent a small fortune for those tickets to watch two teams of dopers battle it out?  

dead0man
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -4.52

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 11:01:44 pm »
Ignore

I assume the average athlete in team sport is clean.

Quote from:   Martha Gellhorn for The Atlantic 1961
The unique misfortune of the Palestinian refugees is that they are a weapon in what seems to be a permanent war...today, in the Middle East, you get a repeated sinking sensation about the Palestinian refugees: they are only a beginning, not an end. Their function is to hang around and be constantly useful as a goad. The ultimate aim is not such humane small potatoes as repatriating refugees.
tweed
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 07:03:42 am »
Ignore

much like the capitalists, a great athlete is never content with a certain level of performance, no matter how high that level is.  they're indoctrinated to be ultra-competitive from very very young ages and drugs are used as a tool to reach the even greater heights: Bonds 2001-2004 as a perfect example.

Agree with everything Tweed has said essentially but it should be noted that most of these athletes are capitalists as well.

no, they're highly-paid workers.
Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 09:54:51 am »
Ignore

This isn't an issue that has any bearing on my life.

So it doesn't bother anyone here that those sports athletes we watch on television or in a stadium are on steroids?  It doesn't detract from your enjoyment of the game -even if you spent a small fortune for those tickets to watch two teams of dopers battle it out? 

After paying a small fortune, wouldn't one want to see the best play possible?

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
fezzyfestoon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 09:57:13 am »
Ignore

Yeah, pretty much what Tweed said. A lot of times when steroid use has supplanted talent, it kind of takes care of itself anyway ie. Shawne Merriman.
London Man
Silent Hunter
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 11:53:44 am »
Ignore

Clean, unless they're a woman who looks like a man.

patrick1
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 04:49:57 pm »
Ignore

much like the capitalists, a great athlete is never content with a certain level of performance, no matter how high that level is.  they're indoctrinated to be ultra-competitive from very very young ages and drugs are used as a tool to reach the even greater heights: Bonds 2001-2004 as a perfect example.

Agree with everything Tweed has said essentially but it should be noted that most of these athletes are capitalists as well.

no, they're highly-paid workers.

By that definition you can include many CEO's and CFO's under some conditions.
tweed
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2012, 09:21:41 pm »
Ignore

before the stock-option revolution, yeah, sure.
Harry
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2012, 08:42:48 am »
Ignore

Nowadays, I think they're mostly clean and support severe punishment of anyone who cheats.

In the late 90s, early 00s, I think almost everyone cheated, pitchers and hitters, and thus must support amnesty for everyone.  It's disappointing, sure, but it's the only fair solution.
only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2012, 10:13:22 am »
Ignore

They can't be particularly "talented" if they chose a sport where steroids make much of an impact, ie a sport that relies overly much on brute force. (Or even pure endurance as in cycling, though that wouldn't be steroids.)

Of course, it's a bit of an open secret that FIFA's drug controllers keep well away from players recuperating from a long injury break but not playing or even practicing with the team yet... which happens to be the one time in football that steroids should really, really help a lot.

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2012, 11:03:10 pm »
Ignore

I believe in the whole "innocent until proven guilty" thing. So I assume they're clean until proof says otherwise.

"Weezy F Baby and the F is for Phenomenal" - Lil' Wayne

"Look at this photograph/Every time I do it makes me laugh/How did our eyes get so red?/And what the hell is on Joey's head?" - Nickelback
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout