Romney shamed out of using Navy SEAL he couldn't remember as political prop
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:21:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney shamed out of using Navy SEAL he couldn't remember as political prop
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Romney shamed out of using Navy SEAL he couldn't remember as political prop  (Read 1134 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 11, 2012, 12:00:17 AM »
« edited: October 11, 2012, 12:28:12 AM by IDS Legislator Griffin »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mckaycoppins/mother-of-slain-seal-tells-romney-to-stop-talking
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/10/mitt-romney-glen-doherty_n_1954925.html?utm_hp_ref=elections-2012

Audio interview with friend: http://mynorthwest.com/108/1353861/Romneys-emotional-story-remembered-very-differently-by-friend-of-fallen-SEAL
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 12:01:37 AM »

Not a good look...
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 12:09:27 AM »

I highly doubt the accuracy of what you bolded.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 12:13:17 AM »

I heard the radio interview with the friend... and I take you've never dealt with politicians before. Most go on some sort of auto-pilot. So even taking Mitt's 'people-issues' away... I can completely believe this.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 12:16:41 AM »

Then listen to it yourself:

http://mynorthwest.com/108/1353861/Romneys-emotional-story-remembered-very-differently-by-friend-of-fallen-SEAL
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 12:20:35 AM »

The Navy SEAL's mom has also repeatedly told Mitt Romney to stop using her son's death as a political prop.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 12:27:25 AM »

Thanks for the link, but I still don't trust it.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 12:33:40 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqi5n8d4s3A
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 12:37:38 AM »

Oh dear...
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 12:41:50 AM »

I remember hearing Romney's story on TV yesterday and thinking it sounded like a bunch of BS. Not surprised to see that confirmed. He is scum, after all.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 12:52:00 AM »

He said that he'd "met" him, and stopped using the story when the next of kin complained.  I don't see a problem.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 12:56:17 AM »
« Edited: October 11, 2012, 01:00:37 AM by HagridOfTheDeep »

When the guy comes out against Romney saying nice things about his friend, it's fair to say that the guy is probably coming from a politically biased place. This encounter between Romney and Doherty happened years ago. Even if you accept that Doherty got into all these details about the encounter with his friend (I don't), the idea that his friend would remember them so specifically is a bit of a stretch. I'm sure they might have talked about it in passing, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that this guy is now conveniently filling in the blanks. It fits too well into the Obama narrative.

So yeah, I'm skeptical. Call me whatever you want.

Calling on Romney to stop using the story would have been enough. Adding the extra details reveals a political motivation. Either way, Romney will be decent enough to stop using the anecdote.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 12:59:38 AM »

I think the issue JJ is that he said he met him and had a conversation with him... is able to remember and recite the conversation... whereas his friend remembers being told that Romney re-introduced himself and didn't remember talking to him...

Now, as someone who deals with politicians regularly, I'm not being as hard on Romney as some. I know in group environments they tend to go onto auto-pilot and generally don't take in what's going on around them.

I don't see this as an 'issue'... but I still it wasn't a good look... but there are MUCH bigger Romney fish to fry.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 01:00:07 AM »

When the guy comes out against Romney saying nice things about his friend, it's fair to say that the guy is probably coming from a politically biased place. This encounter between Romney and Doherty happened years ago. Even if you accept that Doherty got into all these details about the encounter to his friend (I don't), the idea that his friend would remember them so specifically is a bit of a stretch. I'm sure they might have talked about it in passing, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that this guy is now conveniently filling in the blanks. It fits too well into the Obama narrative.

Calling on Romney to stop using the story would have been enough. Adding the extra details reveals a political motivation. Either way, Romney will be decent enough to stop using the anecdote.

You do understand that he was friends with the guy, right? Would you go on the radio to talk about your friend killed in action so that you could score a cheap political strike? Honestly?

I think this response is indicative of conservative ideology: "the guy must be taking advantage of his dead friend to score political points because, obviously, we would do the same".
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 01:01:24 AM »

When the guy comes out against Romney saying nice things about his friend, it's fair to say that the guy is probably coming from a politically biased place. This encounter between Romney and Doherty happened years ago. Even if you accept that Doherty got into all these details about the encounter to his friend (I don't), the idea that his friend would remember them so specifically is a bit of a stretch. I'm sure they might have talked about it in passing, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that this guy is now conveniently filling in the blanks. It fits too well into the Obama narrative.

Um... considering the guy thinks Romney is using his dead friend, I think the reaction is perfectly reasonable.

Also, have you read the mother's statement... there's a political twinge there too... have at it.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2012, 01:24:49 AM »

Not consciously. But if I'm an Obama-lover who's bought into his narrative all summer, and someone asked me about the interaction my friend had with Mitt Romney, I'd probably find it difficult to remember the details but give a clear and emotionally-charged response anyway. "I don't like Mitt Romney and I think my friend said something about the guy introducing himself multiple times—therefore Romney was stiff, pathetic, robotic, and comical."

Yep. What do you want me to say? That she wouldn't have made this statement had Obama been the one evoking her son's memory in stump speeches? Cuz yeah—I believe that. She agreed with Obama's "bumps in the road" statement but now decires Romney for calling her son a hero. It's interesting. Meanwhile, Doherty's sister has said that "what Mitt Romney said about [her] brother is true" and that "being an American hero can be completely bipartisan."

It's impossible for people to completely separate themselves from their political views. Forgive me for being suspicious and not taking a story at face value.
Mister Twister

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 02:37:57 AM »

Stories don't matter. Neither does the 47% remark, the foreign trip gaffes, the rampant flip-flops or the off-shore accounts and tax evasion. All that matters is that Obama looked sleepy at his debate
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2012, 05:04:09 AM »

Oh boy. Romney is a terrible, terrible person.

I guess that's hardly news at this point though.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2012, 07:20:57 AM »

And this all could have been avoided if Mitt and Ann hadn't Salahied their way into these people's Christmas party that one time.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2012, 08:15:41 AM »

I think the issue JJ is that he said he met him and had a conversation with him... is able to remember and recite the conversation... whereas his friend remembers being told that Romney re-introduced himself and didn't remember talking to him...

Well, I'm not certain that the friend is accurate.  It is clear that Romney didn't talk about as being his BFF. 

Romney accurately remembered this meeting after, what, 7-9 years?  Unless Romney was taking notes of everyone he was shaking hands with, and had the list digitized so he could search it, I think it was something more. 

AmericanNation

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2012, 08:59:36 AM »
« Edited: October 11, 2012, 09:02:36 AM by AmericanNation »

Romney said he met and was impressed with a "young man".                Romney +
Romney said he was shocked to learn Doherty was killed in Benghazi.   Romney +
Romney points out that this story is an example of great American character Romney ++
Romney shows genuine emotion about how hes effected by this event  Romney+++
Dems try to somehow contort a family request into some large negative  Dems - - -
Dems attack Romney for no reason                                                            Dems - - -

Dems ignore the hypocrisy/weirdness they display by attacking Romney for honoring a request while they refuse to honor the request to stop using Big Bird.     Dems - - - -

Dems ignore how they invented details with the 'haircut' story that the family had to demand they stop doing.                                                                                         Dems -

Romney +7  
Dems     -11

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2012, 09:15:29 AM »

Stories don't matter. Neither does the 47% remark, the foreign trip gaffes, the rampant flip-flops or the off-shore accounts and tax evasion. All that matters is that Obama looked sleepy at his debate is a Black

I just modified that a little bit, as I thought it might be informative and amusing.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2012, 09:21:59 AM »

Stories don't matter. Neither does the 47% remark, the foreign trip gaffes, the rampant flip-flops or the off-shore accounts and tax evasion. All that matters is that Obama looked sleepy at his debate is a Black

I just modified that a little bit, as I thought it might be informative and amusing.

Thats pretty funny actually
Jacob
Rookie
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2012, 10:10:26 AM »

As if Mitt is any more believable. Mitt has a documented record of lying. Even after being called out for specific lies, he repeats them with glee. Do you dispute his record? If not, you are foolish to dismiss the account of someone who knew the deceased well.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2012, 10:34:05 AM »

As if Mitt is any more believable. Mitt has a documented record of lying. Even after being called out for specific lies, he repeats them with glee. Do you dispute his record? If not, you are foolish to dismiss the account of someone who knew the deceased well.

lie
fallacy
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies