Who won the Debate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:31:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Who won the Debate?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8
Poll
Question: Who won it?
Biden

Ryan

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 177

Author Topic: Who won the Debate?  (Read 14927 times)
BigSkyBob

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: October 12, 2012, 10:37:53 AM »

Nah, the third debate is usually the least watched and most people who are "undecided" make up their minds by then. The second debate this year will be crucial merely because how poorly Obama did in the first debate. People will tune in to see if he can rebound and if Romney can continue his momentum.

What about Reagan vs. Carter last debate? Reagan vs. Dukakis last debate? Or W. vs. Kerry last debate(where at least W. stopped the bleeding).

Going into next debate I think the overwhelming odds are for next debate that it will be a tie. The reasons include:
3) The fact that responses are directed to the audience with the candidate standing instead of directing it more to the other candidate will mean that Romney's ability to be somewhat combative will be muted.

Then, again, the multi-millionaire technocrat will have the opportunity to empathize with Middle-America when he speaks directly to audience. Medium family income fell about $4,000 during Obama's reign. He doesn't need to ask, "Are you better off than you were four years ago?" because it is simply a fact that they aren't. He merely has to show that he is a viable alternative.
Wonkish1

« Reply #151 on: October 12, 2012, 10:42:28 AM »

Nah, the third debate is usually the least watched and most people who are "undecided" make up their minds by then. The second debate this year will be crucial merely because how poorly Obama did in the first debate. People will tune in to see if he can rebound and if Romney can continue his momentum.

What about Reagan vs. Carter last debate? Reagan vs. Dukakis last debate? Or W. vs. Kerry last debate(where at least W. stopped the bleeding).

Going into next debate I think the overwhelming odds are for next debate that it will be a tie. The reasons include:
3) The fact that responses are directed to the audience with the candidate standing instead of directing it more to the other candidate will mean that Romney's ability to be somewhat combative will be muted.

Then, again, the multi-millionaire technocrat will have the opportunity to empathize with Middle-America when he speaks directly to audience. Medium family income fell about $4,000 during Obama's reign. He doesn't need to ask, "Are you better off than you were four years ago?" because it is simply a fact that they aren't. He merely has to show that he is a viable alternative.

Yeah and he did that so well at the RNC (rolls eyes). Don't laugh Dems Obama was even worse.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

« Reply #152 on: October 12, 2012, 10:59:33 AM »

Biden wins: democrats, some men who don't care about the debate. 
Ryan wins : women, independents, young people

...clearly a Biden win, LOL. 
Cryptic
Shadowlord88

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -6.09

« Reply #153 on: October 12, 2012, 12:05:19 PM »

Its amazing to me how many people see what they want to see, and can somehow say Biden won?

I thought Biden was arrogant, bullying, and obnoxious, and as one focus group participant said, a buffoon.  Ryan was the better candidate.  Outside of the CBS poll three polls show Ryan won:

Final CNN poll who won? Ryan 49 Biden 43
NBC poll who won? Ryan 56 to Biden 36
AP poll who won? Ryan 51 to Biden 43

That CNBC poll is an online poll that now only shows them apart by 2. 

http://www.cnbc.com/id/49327648

Also, that AP poll was an online poll on the Topeka Capital Journal website that was sticked into an AP article.  I'm pretty sure AP wouldn't use "Polldaddy.com" as a host for their poll.  Here's a link to it. 

http://cjonline.com/news/2012-10-12/analysis-poll-who-had-edge-vp-debate
Jacob
Rookie
United States

« Reply #154 on: October 12, 2012, 12:13:18 PM »

What about Reagan vs. Carter last debate? Reagan vs. Mondale last debate? Or W. vs. Kerry last debate(where at least W. stopped the bleeding).

1) Obama will feel more comfortable in a town hall setting
2) But he still will not be able to get over his excessively long time to gather his thoughts while he drops his 'umms', Romney will still be able to get in more words per minute.

The big mistake for Obama: Is to try to overcompensate for his last debate performance and try to direct tougher hits toward Romney instead of engage in the audience. Town hall style is not a place to go after the other guy. Remember the moment where Gore got up and tried to 'intimidate' Bush in 2000. It didn't work well.

The big mistake for Romney: Interruptions. While it seems that a few(but not many) interruptions in a podium debate is a net positive, I find it hard to believe that could ever go well in a town hall debate. First of all, you have to physically stand up to pull off the interruption and that isn't a good visual.

You lose then. If the next two debates are ties then Romney-Ryan lose narrowly, a la 2004.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #155 on: October 12, 2012, 12:39:42 PM »

Why on earth would Ryan win women or young people?  Certainly nearly all young people vote Democrat or don't vote anyway, n'est-ce pas?
Wonkish1

« Reply #156 on: October 12, 2012, 12:44:40 PM »
« Edited: October 12, 2012, 12:49:31 PM by Wonkish1 »

What about Reagan vs. Carter last debate? Reagan vs. Mondale last debate? Or W. vs. Kerry last debate(where at least W. stopped the bleeding).

1) Obama will feel more comfortable in a town hall setting
2) But he still will not be able to get over his excessively long time to gather his thoughts while he drops his 'umms', Romney will still be able to get in more words per minute.

The big mistake for Obama: Is to try to overcompensate for his last debate performance and try to direct tougher hits toward Romney instead of engage in the audience. Town hall style is not a place to go after the other guy. Remember the moment where Gore got up and tried to 'intimidate' Bush in 2000. It didn't work well.

The big mistake for Romney: Interruptions. While it seems that a few(but not many) interruptions in a podium debate is a net positive, I find it hard to believe that could ever go well in a town hall debate. First of all, you have to physically stand up to pull off the interruption and that isn't a good visual.

You lose then. If the next two debates are ties then Romney-Ryan lose narrowly, a la 2004.

Where did I say the last debate will be a tie? I said that the next debate will be a tie. Once we return to the podiums Obama is going to have a rough night again although not as bad of a rough night as last time because this time he'll be smiling instead of ticked off.

People aren't matching up the raw skills of these 2 people when they judge debates. It's really weird. Instead they matching up the images and narratives of these 2 people. They aren't the same thing.

1) Obama can't move and adjust on the fly mid debate like Romney can. I.e. if the opponents strategy is different than you thought Romney will adapt quickly, Obama wont
2) Romney will respond with substantially more points per minute than Obama can which means that Romney will have points that go unanswered.
3) The public assigns the label of confidence to the person that can speak fluidly off the cuff with answers that pertain exactly to the subject matter. Going off the question entirely(which neither of them do, but something that people like W., Palin, and Kerry do) or struggling to frame your response comes off as a lack of confidence in what your saying.

I could go on and on. The reason why Obama is going to tie the next debate is because they're not going head to head at the town hall. Instead they take turns making small speeches to the audience with no real ability to interject themselves onto the other. Once they go back to the debates Obama wont even be able to tie.

Watch the old videos of Obama's debates and Romney's debates and you'll see how Obama's debate performance last week was almost identical in style to all of his old debates with the exception of facial expressions. The only other difference is that Romney is now very good and McCain is a terrible debater who speaks slower than molasses.

There is a degree of a strong performance by one person makes the other look worse by comparison. Had you thrown McCain into the debate last week the media and the viewers would have judged it a tie, I guarantee it.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #157 on: October 12, 2012, 01:16:47 PM »

Guys, the vice presidential candidate is suppoused to be an attack dog, firing up the base, which allows his partner to focus on swing voters. The most classic example was perhaps Eisenhower/Nixon.

This debate probably won't have much effect. Democratic hacks loves Biden, Republican hacks loves Ryan. In my opinion Biden won, but it was an unessesary overkill.

Also, lol at Ryan attempting to make an "intelligent face" all the time. Guy is so full of s**t.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

« Reply #158 on: October 12, 2012, 01:22:12 PM »

Why on earth would Ryan win women or young people?  Certainly nearly all young people vote Democrat or don't vote anyway, n'est-ce pas?

Women liked Ryan a ton (the looks help) and they hated Biden (weird ass impression).  Ryan also wins the coolness factor with youngs.  Rs aren't going to win youngs, but they're gaining a lot of ground (net) that Obama can't afford to lose. 
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #159 on: October 12, 2012, 01:45:23 PM »

Women liked Ryan a ton (the looks help) and they hated Biden (weird ass impression).  Ryan also wins the coolness factor with youngs.  Rs aren't going to win youngs, but they're gaining a lot of ground (net) that Obama can't afford to lose. 

Surely you must be joking. How can a Republican be 'cool'?  And do you have any survey statistics to back up the claim that women liked the look of that awkward geek next to the elder statesman?
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #160 on: October 12, 2012, 02:22:53 PM »

Guys, the vice presidential candidate is suppoused to be an attack dog, firing up the base, which allows his partner to focus on swing voters. The most classic example was perhaps Eisenhower/Nixon.

What? The classic example is clearly Nixon/Agnew. Nattering nabobs of negativity bro.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #161 on: October 12, 2012, 02:34:46 PM »

its becoming clear the debate was an elaborate rorschach test
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #162 on: October 12, 2012, 02:50:46 PM »

On a lighter note, an Emergency Amber Alert just screeched across my midnight television. I now have to change my underwear.

Why? To hide the evidence?

[/horriblytastelessjoketotallyjustkiddingpleasedon'tinfractmeIjustcouldn'tresist] Tongue
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #163 on: October 12, 2012, 02:57:40 PM »

Women liked Ryan a ton (the looks help)

Saying things like this won't help you get girls.

(Or their votes.)
Wonkish1

« Reply #164 on: October 12, 2012, 03:05:05 PM »

Strangely enough I agreed with Ezra Klein before the debate; when pointing to an article about how Ryan's team was admitting that they were trying to cut back on his 'wonky-ness' he said that was likely a mistake.

The worry of Paul Ryan 'Coming off as a young know it all' is way overblown when your running for President or Vice president of the United States. Bill Clinton proved that. Yet some idiot staffers get him to water down both his RNC speech and his debate performance.

He should have been the 'explainer in chief' last night. I would have rather had him bore people to sleep than what he did last night. Because at least when things go over their head they'll be thinking 'damn that guys smart'. Instead all we got a $hit load of rapid fire memorized statistics and talk about 'mixed signals' in the Middle East. That means a net zero gain on any key competency. Thank God Biden was an "A-hole" otherwise this would have been a rough night for us.

Biden gave him opportunities what he should have done was:
1) In response to Biden claiming that they received bad intelligence. Ryan should have fired back with, "So are you calling *Hillary Clinton's state department* a liar because they said the opposite? There is no good way for Biden to answer that. It's either implicitly or explicitly throw Hillary under the bus or dodge, duck, hide and hope he doesn't fire another follow up.

2) He should have asked him where Biden got the number that 97% of all businesses don't pay the highest tax rate. Besides the fact that Biden was wrong about that number(Obama usually says that '97% of *small* businesses are below which could be true because it all rests on what you define as small) all you need to do is ask the question and immediately the public gets the idea in their head that Biden is full of it without you even have to say that's he's 'full of stuff'

3) He should have pointed out that if you take into account those that have literally given up on finding a job unemployment has steadily gone up.

4) Hell he should have even gone all wonky on how the larger supply of labor than demand has been what as aggravated inequality.

5) He should have had a populist response to the moderator when she decided to go back to foreign policy(something I've never seen before in any debate where the primary subject was sandwiched between the less important subject) by saying something like, "Well you can do what you want, but I don't think your doing the American people any service only spending a few minutes on their most important topic. I came here to talk about what Americans care about.

6) Should have asked Biden to explain how tax cuts could possibly result in a housing crash 'because to me that just sounds like terrible rhetoric that in reality falls on its face."

7) The list goes on and on.

I would have rather had Ryan use the debate to just explain how the world worked instead of relying on memorized data.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #165 on: October 12, 2012, 03:26:11 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And this is uh, quite likely why Biden performed poorly among women.

Honestly, if he had cut down on the smirks and laughing and just took a step back from interrupting, he probably would have had a real victory.
Wonkish1

« Reply #166 on: October 12, 2012, 03:34:41 PM »

And this is uh, quite likely why Biden performed poorly among women.

Honestly, if he had cut down on the smirks and laughing and just took a step back from interrupting, he probably would have had a real victory.

No $hit! Biden being an A-Hole saved our @$$ today.
Gregory House
Call of Duty
« Reply #167 on: October 12, 2012, 03:53:37 PM »

Of Biden, it was once said:

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #168 on: October 12, 2012, 03:58:04 PM »

Of Biden, it was once said:

Oh man, stop it - you're making me positively fall in love with the guy.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #169 on: October 12, 2012, 09:09:18 PM »

Reuters poll has Biden winning debate 42 to 35

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/13/us-usa-campaign-debate-poll-idUSBRE89B1AK20121013
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #170 on: October 12, 2012, 09:12:02 PM »

I'd be very worried that the "win" will drive down poll numbers.  From what I'm hearing, women are not too happy with that performance.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #171 on: October 12, 2012, 09:12:54 PM »

I love it when J.J. "hears" things.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #172 on: October 12, 2012, 09:44:53 PM »

This forum is obviously not reflective of real America.

CNN poll of who won the debate, Ryan 48% Biden 44%.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #173 on: October 12, 2012, 09:53:34 PM »

This forum is obviously not reflective of real America.

CNN poll of who won the debate, Ryan 48% Biden 44%.

The CNN poll that wasn't reflective at all... and ignoring the CBS poll, what a shock.
renegadedemocrat
Rookie

« Reply #174 on: October 12, 2012, 10:46:00 PM »

Biden.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies