Who gets the bounce?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:28:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Who gets the bounce?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: After the crazy VP debate with some saying its a draw or biden win or ryan win who gets the bounce?
Obama/Biden

Romney/Ryan

No Bounce

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 74

Author Topic: Who gets the bounce?  (Read 1581 times)
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 12, 2012, 12:20:28 AM »

I say Mild 3 point boost for obama
dspNY
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 12:22:40 AM »

Very optimistic...maybe a point or 1.5 pts in our favor. The race is mostly up for grabs and Tuesday's town hall is one of the biggest debates in presidential history, IMO
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 12:22:58 AM »

I think the polls were headed back to Obama+1 on their own. Some might attribute that to the VP debate but it probably was headed that way anyway.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 12:25:04 AM »

I think the polls were headed back to Obama+1 on their own. Some might attribute that to the VP debate but it probably was headed that way anyway.

This.
Jacob
Rookie
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 12:26:08 AM »

I predict that by Monday, Obama will be +3.5 in VA and +7 in OH. National polls will show a tie or a one point Obama lead. If Obama beats Romney on Tuesday in post-debate polls, national polls will move to a +2 Obama lead, and the election will be nearly over.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 12:29:07 AM »

I don't think there's going to be a bounce in terms of vote change - anything will likely be based on increased enthusiasm.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 12:35:13 AM »

There won't really be a "bounce". It might help to halt Romney's surge, although there were already signs of his rise waning pre-debate.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 12:49:13 AM »

There's too little time in between the VP and second Presidential debates to measure any real bounce.  The second Presidential debate is next Tuesday.   The 7-day trackers won't be able to differentiate a post-VP debate bounce from the post-Presidential debate bounce without including pre-VP debate days.  The 3-day trackers will only be all post-VP debate for a day or two, which could just be measuring statistical noise instead of any prolonged bounce.
後援会
koenkai

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 12:57:44 AM »

This.

This, though I'm thinking his lead might be in the decimals, if it exists at all.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 01:23:03 AM »

Nobody got a bounce.
Chaddyr23
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.19, S: -5.83

P P
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 01:45:28 AM »

Agreed
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 01:52:45 AM »

I actually thought this was a horrible debate. I live for this stuff and even I was close to shutting it off. You had Ryan composed, Biden trying to fire up the base and looking like a moron while doing so, and nothing but talking points from both sides. Everytime I wanted to hear Ryan's answer, Biden opened his mouth. I'm sure this negated many from thinking he was the victor.

What is funny is that I felt last week's debate was a much better debate (not just because my favored candidate won) but because Jim Lehrer was a decent moderator, didn't interrupt, and both Romney and Obama gave their cases to the American public, yet I've seen some undecided focus groups say they preferred this debate format.

This debate is what makes people hate politics. Just a constant back and forth. I will say that this now shows how high the stakes are for President Obama next week. If he does what Biden did tonight, he'll come across mean-spirited and unpresidential. However, if he lays off too much, it will be a repeat of his first debate performance.

Overall, I say no bounce, still a close race and either man's to win although Romney probably still has slight momentum.
Jacob
Rookie
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 01:55:31 AM »

I actually thought this was a horrible debate. I live for this stuff and even I was close to shutting it off. You had Ryan composed, Biden trying to fire up the base and looking like a moron while doing so, and nothing but talking points from both sides. Everytime I wanted to hear Ryan's answer, Biden opened his mouth. I'm sure this negated many from thinking he was the victor.

What is funny is that I felt last week's debate was a much better debate (not just because my favored candidate won) but because Jim Lehrer was a decent moderator, didn't interrupt, and both Romney and Obama gave their cases to the American public, yet I've seen some undecided focus groups say they preferred this debate format.

This debate is what makes people hate politics. Just a constant back and forth. I will say that this now shows how high the stakes are for President Obama next week. If he does what Biden did tonight, he'll come across mean-spirited and unpresidential. However, if he lays off too much, it will be a repeat of his first debate performance.

Overall, I say no bounce, still a close race and either man's to win although Romney probably still has slight momentum.

More importantly though, Reagan fan, how do your Democratic family members feel about this? They appear to be real bellwethers so I need to know their inner most thoughts in order to hedge my intrade bets.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 02:34:51 AM »
« Edited: October 12, 2012, 02:38:52 AM by Reaganfan »

More importantly though, Reagan fan, how do your Democratic family members feel about this? They appear to be real bellwethers so I need to know their inner most thoughts in order to hedge my intrade bets.

Let me clear up my family and how they're voting because despite your sarcasm, Ohio voters are critical to this election.

My father and I are loyal Republicans.

My mother voted for Bush in 1988 and 1992, Dole in 1996, and Bush 43 in 2000 and 2004. Then came the 2008 Democratic Primary. I can't tell you the impact the 2008 Democratic Primary had on my sisters and my mother. My sisters went from disliking Hillary Clinton to wishing she had won in June 2008, and my mother disliked Hillary so much she fell into Obamamania. All three of them ended up voting for the Obama/Biden ticket, and my mother claims the only Republican she would have voted for over Obama would have been Rudy Giuliani and I suspect if Giuliani were the nominee right now, she'd be voting for him.

Also, my mother became engaged to a man who tends to vote Democrat in 2007, and clearly he was supporting Obama and helped persuade her.

My older sister is voting for Romney this time with her husband and are more heavily involved in politics than ever before. They even attended a Romney rally in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio this past Tuesday night. She and her husband told me that they voted for Obama, saw things get worse and him not meet expectations, and feel it's time for a new President. It's actually the most simple example of how some Presidents become one-termers.

My younger sister and her husband are voting for Obama because my younger sister worries that Romney will get rid of "Planned Parenthood" and she thinks food stamps will become non-existent, blah blah blah. When I try and explain things to her from my belief, she can't understand them and she thinks I'm "cold-hearted". What's funny is that my younger sister has had drama lately because she refuses to work, literally, and says she would rather her husband stay at home with her and they receive benefits rather than have him work because she "likes him being around". We all, even my Obama voting mother, try and tell her, "It's better to let him work than live off welfare" but she buys into the mindset that if she can get free stuff without working, it's worth it. It is quite sad, and yes, she's voting Obama.

My mother and her husband are voting for Obama because they claim he is the "lesser of two evils" and they think that he's trying and deserves a second chance. They are concerned though over lack of enthusiasm and recent polls. What's funny is they are against gay marriage, against abortion, ect ect and stand with Obama despite his positions. I believe they and many voters vote on personality.

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 02:56:38 AM »

Obama < 1%
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2012, 05:11:00 AM »

No bounce. If there is one, it'll go to Obama-Biden
Cryptic
Shadowlord88

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -6.09

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2012, 05:43:00 AM »
« Edited: October 12, 2012, 05:45:28 AM by Shadowlord88 »

Possibly no bounce.  Possibly slight Obama bounce, mainly due to enthusiasm being restored amongst Democratics.  Either way, no major shifts till the 2nd Presidential debate. 
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2012, 05:43:14 AM »

Perhaps a little one for Obama-Biden. VP debates rarely have that much effect on the polls. Even Dukakis-Bentsen didn't really get a bounce in 1988.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2012, 05:54:31 AM »

What bounce?
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2012, 06:15:08 AM »

No bounce. If there is one, it'll go to Obama-Biden
zorkpolitics
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2012, 06:58:28 AM »

I doubt there will be any bounce, Republican leaning voters were satisfied Ryan acted Presidential, Democratic leaning voters were satisfied Biden was alive.
Based on polling one might expect a small GOP bounce, since most viewers thought Ryan won:

Final CNN poll who won? Ryan 49 Biden 43
NBC poll who won? Ryan 56 to Biden 36
AP poll who won? Ryan 51 to Biden 43

But the media will spin it as a Biden win, so I don't expect any bounce either way
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2012, 07:31:42 AM »

I've already seen the links for the CNN poll, can you link to the others, because I've been looking and can't find them.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2012, 07:35:53 AM »

The AP poll doesn't exist and the CNBC poll is an online poll that later flipped to an advantage for Biden.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2012, 07:39:59 AM »

Yes, I heard rumours that Drudge linked to a fake AP poll, which he subsequently took down...

So the only poll that's vaguely reputable that has a MoE Ryan win, wasn't representative and didn't pretend to be in the small print?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2012, 07:49:22 AM »

There's too little time in between the VP and second Presidential debates to measure any real bounce.  The second Presidential debate is next Tuesday.   The 7-day trackers won't be able to differentiate a post-VP debate bounce from the post-Presidential debate bounce without including pre-VP debate days.  The 3-day trackers will only be all post-VP debate for a day or two, which could just be measuring statistical noise instead of any prolonged bounce.

Sort of like Romney got "no bounce" from the RNC because the DNC was right afterwards and sort of cancelled it out in the tracking polls, yes? Either way, I think there will be some sort of bounce, probably undetected, because I'm assuming Democrats are more energized after last night. Biden did what Obama could not.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies