paul ryan lost the debate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:42:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  paul ryan lost the debate
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: paul ryan lost the debate  (Read 3832 times)
wan
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 12, 2012, 01:22:21 AM »
« edited: October 12, 2012, 02:02:06 AM by wan »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/12/biden-ryan-debate_n_1960034.html

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1012/82323.html?hp=l1

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50132981n

http://www.aim.org/aim-column/media-to-declare-biden-the-debate-winner/

http://gort42.blogspot.com/2012/10/biden-wins-debate-and-stops-bleeding.html

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/10/laughing-joe-steals-the-show-at-vice-presidential-debate/

http://abcnewsradioonline.com/politics-news/poll-paul-ryan-stalls-on-popularity-but-joe-biden-does-no-be.html
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 01:25:51 AM »

'According to Huffington Post, Ryan lost the debate'
wan
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 01:36:41 AM »

also abc & cbs
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 01:39:24 AM »

also abc & cbs
Yeah, he fired up the Democrat base. Big deal.
wan
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 01:48:36 AM »

also abc & cbs

seems like you just conceded.
President von Cat
captain copernicus

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 01:50:46 AM »

also abc & cbs

Um, actually, yeah it is a big deal. That was exactly what Biden was supposed to do. It gets Democrats enthused after Obama's despondent first debate, and pushes the news cycle onto something else.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 01:50:49 AM »

also abc & cbs

No, he's not winning any undecideds at this point, they're only kept on the fence longer.  How is it that they can comprehend any of the Ryan's 5 points for getting the US back on the track when Biden is constantly interupting and talking over him?
President von Cat
captain copernicus

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 01:52:16 AM »
« Edited: October 12, 2012, 01:54:39 AM by kingthlayer »

also abc & cbs

No, he's not winning any undecideds at this point, they're only kept on the fence longer.

Oh please. There are no true 'undecideds' anymore at this point. Even if you're not set on who to vote for at this point, you have doubtlessly formed some opinion on the budget, foreign policy, taxes, social issues, and so forth by now. So basically if Biden agreed with where you stand on those, you're probably going to sympathize with him regardless of whether or not he is interrupting.

I'm tired of people assuming that 'undecided' or 'independent' voters have no opinion whatsoever on anything, and are forming all of their opinions based on these debates. It is condescending first of all, and a ridiculous assumption second of all.
Jacob
Rookie
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 01:57:29 AM »

also abc & cbs

No, he's not winning any undecideds at this point, they're only kept on the fence longer.  How is it that they can comprehend any of the Ryan's 5 points for getting the US back on the track when Biden is constantly interupting and talking over him?

CBS poll of undecideds gives it to Biden 51-30. After we poll Reaganfan's Democratic family members and their second cousins, we will have a better idea of how the race is shaping up. Please stay tuned.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 01:59:13 AM »

also abc & cbs

No, he's not winning any undecideds at this point, they're only kept on the fence longer.  How is it that they can comprehend any of the Ryan's 5 points for getting the US back on the track when Biden is constantly interupting and talking over him?

CBS poll of undecideds gives it to Biden 51-30. After we poll Reaganfan's Democratic family members and their second cousins, we will have a better idea of how the race is shaping up. Please stay tuned.
The polls that come up is just noise from now until the presidential debates next Tuesday.  Polls with Romney in the lead are leftovers from the last debate.
Orion0
Rookie
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 6.06, S: -5.74

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 02:02:34 AM »

Oh please. There are no true 'undecideds' anymore at this point. Even if you're not set on who to vote for at this point, you have doubtlessly formed some opinion on the budget, foreign policy, taxes, social issues, and so forth by now. So basically if Biden agreed with where you stand on those, you're probably going to sympathize with him regardless of whether or not he is interrupting.

I'm tired of people assuming that 'undecided' or 'independent' voters have no opinion whatsoever on anything, and are forming all of their opinions based on these debates. It is condescending first of all, and a ridiculous assumption second of all.

Maybe undecided is the wrong term. Call it the centre. Those with no preference for either party, feeling they're both essentially two sides of the same coin or vote for the lesser of two evils. These people vote on simple logic and whether or not they like the guy. The same people who got Clinton elected twice, and pushed bush to victory in 2004. and to say that Biden did anything tonight to win those people over is a joke when you look at Paul Ryan's very deliberate pitch to exactly those voters: the centrists. Bidens over the top theatrics and condescension win big with those who already support him but do not really appeal to a broader audience. Exciting the base could be enough though, but Paul Ryan was calm, yes very understated at times, but didn't flub it, and certainly no one walked away worried if he became president one day, which in itself was mission accomplished for the republican ticket.
Jacob
Rookie
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 02:04:26 AM »

also abc & cbs

No, he's not winning any undecideds at this point, they're only kept on the fence longer.  How is it that they can comprehend any of the Ryan's 5 points for getting the US back on the track when Biden is constantly interupting and talking over him?

The polls that come up is just noise from now until the presidential debates next Tuesday.  Polls with Romney in the lead are leftovers from the last debate.

This is why I am waiting on the Reaganfan's much heralded Democratic friends and family poll to draw any further conclusions. It only has an n of 14.5 (the half is the family's cocker spaniel), but its predictive value really cannot be understated.
technical support
thrillr1111
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 02:24:14 AM »

also abc & cbs

This is why I am waiting on the Reaganfan's much heralded Democratic friends and family poll to draw any further conclusions. It only has an n of 14.5 (the half is the family's cocker spaniel), but its predictive value really cannot be understated.

Lol
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 05:25:03 AM »

capitalization lost the op
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 06:48:07 AM »

I beg to differ. That buffoon of a vice president came off as rude and hotheaded. I watched the debate where the majority of the room was filled with independents and they were not impressed by good ole Joe.

Ryan won on both substance and style.
zorkpolitics
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2012, 06:49:31 AM »

Left leaning pundits agree Biden won, what a surprise.
I thought Biden was arrogant, bullying, and obnoxious, and as one focus group participant said, a buffoon.  Ryan was the better candidate.  Apparently most people agree:

Final CNN poll who won? Ryan 49 Biden 43
NBC poll who won? Ryan 56 to Biden 36
AP poll who won? Ryan 51 to Biden 43
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2012, 07:04:19 AM »

I thought Biden was arrogant, bullying, and obnoxious, and as one focus group participant said, a buffoon.  Ryan was the better candidate.  Apparently most people agree:

AmericanNation

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2012, 08:39:46 AM »

Time will erode whatever points Biden's "performance" scored.  Still shots and video of Old, crazy, senile, rude, untrustworthy, hackish politician, unserious, and dangerous mad man doesn't exactly play well with the American people (maybe with democrats).       
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2012, 09:01:06 AM »

also abc & cbs

Firing up the people that will vote for you, when you are behind, is not a win.

This morning:

MSNBC:  Biden jokey, not presidential

CNN:  Libya, with a touch of jiky.

FOX:  Libya.

Ryan won it on style; a focus group member on CNN called Ryan a "buffoon."
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2012, 09:11:36 AM »

Boy the Pubs around here have counterattacked nicely on this thread. I was wondering for a moment whether I had seen a different debate. I call the debate a tie, with Biden very good on Iran and the nukes thing, but his smiles and interrupting hopefully will piss off swing voters. I certainly found it execrable, and I think Ryan's crack about it was well handled. There will be a whole new school of debating about how to deal with someone who interrupts and just won't follow the rules. How do you stop it, when do you start doing it yourself in retaliation like Ryan did, is there any way you can complain to the moderator without seeming weak and whinny and so forth.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2012, 09:32:58 AM »

Time will erode whatever points Biden's "performance" scored.  Still shots and video of Old, crazy, senile, rude, untrustworthy, hackish politician, unserious, and dangerous mad man doesn't exactly play well with the American people (maybe with democrats).       

Obama is going to have answer for a few of Biden's whoppers.

First, there was Afghanistan. In the debate, Biden stated he opposed the war in part because it was charged to the national credit card. This is a substantial revision of history given Biden voted for the authorization of force resolution. It, also, doesn't square with Obama's 2008 campaign position that Afghanistan was the good war in the national interest that Bush let slide to pursue the distraction of Iraq. Obama promised in 2008 to focus on Afghanistan, and surged the conflict while in office. What we have to show for Obama's "surge" in Afghanistan is a Taliban victory, and, of course, a thousand more young men and women being sent home in body bags.

Then there is Libya. On one hand, he piously pledged to get to the bottom of it and punish all those responsible. On the other hand, he claimed to be unaware of the security assessment the next day that clearly identified it as a terrorist attack, or the fact that the embassy had indeed requested additional security.

Not mentioned was the fact that the Obama administration prioritized buying expensive Chevy Volts over embassy security.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2012, 10:08:28 AM »

Boy the Pubs around here have counterattacked nicely on this thread. I was wondering for a moment whether I had seen a different debate. I call the debate a tie, with Biden very good on Iran and the nukes thing, but his smiles and interrupting hopefully will piss off swing voters. I certainly found it execrable, and I think Ryan's crack about it was well handled. There will be a whole new school of debating about how to deal with someone who interrupts and just won't follow the rules. How do you stop it, when do you start doing it yourself in retaliation like Ryan did, is there any way you can complain to the moderator without seeming weak and whinny and so forth.

Libya, which was unfortunately the first question, was a disaster for Obama. 

On terms of substance, I'd give it to Biden; he was stronger on the economy than I expected.  He was weaker on foreign policy (Libya) than I expected, but foreign affairs are secondary to the economy.

In terms of style, if Biden had conducted himself throughout the debate the way he did on the "Catholic Question," he would have won.  He didn't and Biden didn't win it.  He lost it on style points.   

The good news is that it is almost totally irrelevant. 
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2012, 10:33:58 AM »

The CNN poll was 48-44.

The NBC poll was actually a CNBC poll and it was online (not scientific)... and last time I checked it had even switched over into a Biden lead of 53-44!

Where is the AP poll? Is it scientific? If it isn't, I'm sure I could find hundreds more online polls for you where Biden is winning.
Jacob
Rookie
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2012, 11:54:14 AM »

Stop giving us facts, liberal. PS, anyone know how I link my political atlas scores like others display to my account? It says in my settings that I have successfully linked them, but it says the account is disabled.

The CNN poll was 48-44.

The NBC poll was actually a CNBC poll and it was online (not scientific)... and last time I checked it had even switched over into a Biden lead of 53-44!

Where is the AP poll? Is it scientific? If it isn't, I'm sure I could find hundreds more online polls for you where Biden is winning.
Cryptic
Shadowlord88

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -6.09

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2012, 11:54:35 AM »

The CNN poll was 48-44.

The so-called AP poll was actually a poll on the Topeka Capital-Journal's website that was sticked into an AP article.  Now, I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure AP polls, not to mention any scientific polls, aren't hosted by "polldaddy.com."

Here's a link.

http://cjonline.com/news/2012-10-12/analysis-poll-who-had-edge-vp-debate 
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies