Is Barack Obama a Tory?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:35:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is Barack Obama a Tory?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is Barack Obama a Tory?  (Read 1316 times)
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 24, 2012, 09:55:51 AM »

I thought this article in the Spectator might interest you guys.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Spanish Moss
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 02:41:07 PM »

I've been saying this all along.  Which is why it's bewildering to me that some say he's "far left."
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 03:50:48 PM »

I've been saying this all along.  Which is why it's bewildering to me that some say he's "far left."

The center is further to the right in America. In America, supporting UHC at all is considered left-wing. Is Obama far-left? No. But he's pretty clearly left by our standards.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 04:00:32 PM »

The center is further to the right in America. In America, supporting UHC at all is considered left-wing. Is Obama far-left? No. But he's pretty clearly left by our standards.

The fact that you're right speaks quite poorly of American society.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 04:04:18 PM »

He's probably of the One Nation kind, i.e. Macmillan, Heath, etc.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 04:26:25 PM »

Are societies now judged by how much government intrusion into the economy is considered mainstream?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 04:37:48 PM »

Are societies now judged by how much government intrusion into the economy is considered mainstream?

Societies should certainly be judged by basic criteria such whether the poor have access to adequate healthcare, of course.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 04:45:32 PM »

Societies should certainly be judged by basic criteria such whether the poor have access to adequate healthcare, of course.

So the larger the state, the better the country? What a wonderful metric...
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 04:49:34 PM »

No, that's not what I said.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 05:51:48 PM »

More and cheaper coverage does not mean more and larger government intervention.  Just look at the Bismark model.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 08:26:58 PM »

Nothing much new here, but the health care bill was actually a negative for the insurance companies. It's only a good deal for them if you think that a more ambitious bill could have gotten through Congress, and it could not have. The insurance companies' stock prices took significant hits on the morning the SCOTUS decision upholding the bill was announced.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 10:00:49 PM »

Yeah, basically. The "change" administration has focused on implementing the least politically, socially, economically disruptive policies possible.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 11:21:03 AM »

kind of a bizarre claim as a majority of the population in the US has favored some sort of a universal system for decades.  this is true even after the propaganda onslaught of the past 3 years.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 11:31:16 AM »

Yeah, basically. The "change" administration has focused on implementing the least politically, socially, economically disruptive policies possible.

Nicely put.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 05:21:36 PM »
« Edited: September 25, 2012, 05:24:26 PM by Biased Hack Progressive Realist »

I've been saying this all along.  Which is why it's bewildering to me that some say he's "far left."

No, the political class in America is further to the right, not the population as a whole. A lot of this has to do with the remarkable power of businesses/corporations in America, and their outsized influence on an already extremely conservative political and electoral system. Also, the higher you go in terms of economic and social status, the higher the participation rates and influence of the people in those upper strata.

When you factor into that essentially all of America's mainstream media is controlled under a very few conglomerates,  you have an aggressively reactionary political mainstream.

Like Tweed indicated,  a sizable majority of Americans like or want public schools, universal health care, "entitlement" programs, more federal spending on the poor, and less money in politics. But because the Democrats are, at best, a milquetoast center-right party, and with the Republicans getting more dogmatic and extreme....well, it's not much of a wonder why a good half of Americans don't bother to vote at all, and why many more vote, but don't care to actively participate.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2012, 10:06:33 PM »

Nicely put.

It's pretty much the standard for the party today. I expect it to be similar for the next Democratic president (say Hillary or Cuomo winning the nomination/election in 2016).
Spanish Moss
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2012, 10:59:47 AM »

Is Obama far-left? No. But he's pretty clearly left by our standards.

Right, which means our political spectrum of what is accepted in mainstream politicians is shifted far to the right of the mainstream of the first world.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2012, 11:01:43 AM »

Is Obama far-left? No. But he's pretty clearly left by our standards.

Right, which means our political spectrum of what is accepted in mainstream politicians is shifted far to the right of the mainstream of the first world.

you're preaching to the strange choir -- Vosem has already proudly proclaimed this from the rooftops.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2012, 11:41:08 AM »

Interesting argument so pretty left-wing in USA mean adopting UHC model made and pushed by conservatives (as in members of the Republican party) under 10 years ago? Pretty left-wing means continue conservative policies even when his base hates them? Pretty left-wing means to trying to cut and balancing the federal budget?

Obama anno 2012 would be fully at home in the Republican party anno 2000, well  even in 2007 his policies would be fully acceptable by most Republicans. So if he isn't centre-right it's because  the Republicans has changed from a conservative party to revolutionary extremists.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2012, 01:25:09 PM »

opebo's been saying it longer than that.....but he's not going to support Romney, regardless.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2012, 02:23:19 PM »

I'm pretty sure if Barack was a Brit he would be one of those slippery Lib Dems who likes to make progressive noices while appearing on TV all the time (He would be a TV darling, of course) praising the "tough decisions" and "resolve" that Nick Clegg has so far shown and explaining how everything will be okay at the end in some indeterminable future.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2012, 06:51:41 PM »

I'm pretty sure if Barack was a Brit he would be one of those slippery Lib Dems who likes to make progressive noices while appearing on TV all the time (He would be a TV darling, of course) praising the "tough decisions" and "resolve" that Nick Clegg has so far shown and explaining how everything will be okay at the end in some indeterminable future.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2012, 06:47:33 PM »

There is the center, the right and the far left.  Obama is the center which represents bailing out banks and auto unions and amnesty for illegals aliens and then u have the Mike Moore left which represent a disdain for that and then you have the right which agrees with Obama for bailouts but believe in Corporations hiring illegals and tax give aways to the rich. Clinton triangulation changed Democrats from left to center.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2012, 06:13:12 PM »

He is either a New Labour-guy or a Tory.  Same thing, basically. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies