Is Chris Christie to "heavy' to be president?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:00:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Is Chris Christie to "heavy' to be president?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Is Chris Christie to "heavy' to be president?  (Read 7478 times)
M

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2012, 09:35:47 AM »

It's really not hard to lose some weight when you have that much to lose. You don't have to be able to run 5 miles - a slight change in diet goes a long way. I feel very little sympathy.

Only the genetically trim can make this sort of statement.

Roll Eyes Research on the "fat gene," found that its effects were easily surmountable. We have a fat population due to a variety of reasons, with the primary driver being subsidized corn. Cut the soda, the fast food, the butter, and start working out and the pounds will drop like the Dow on Black Tuesday.

We live in a society that things obesity is genetic and that homosexuality is a choice. It's time to turn that tragic conventional wisdom around.

I'm going to go ahead and guess that you want to make it easier to smoke marijuana and harder to smoke tobacco, and somehow believe that this is philosophically consistent.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2012, 09:52:43 AM »

Fat people aren't just statistics, and losing weight isn't as easy as following a three-step plan.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2012, 10:30:24 AM »

It's really not hard to lose some weight when you have that much to lose. You don't have to be able to run 5 miles - a slight change in diet goes a long way. I feel very little sympathy.

Roll Eyes Research on the "fat gene," found that its effects were easily surmountable. We have a fat population due to a variety of reasons, with the primary driver being subsidized corn. Cut the soda, the fast food, the butter, and start working out and the pounds will drop like the Dow on Black Tuesday.

We live in a society that things obesity is genetic and that homosexuality is a choice. It's time to turn that tragic conventional wisdom around.

I'm going to go ahead and guess that you want to make it easier to smoke marijuana and harder to smoke tobacco, and somehow believe that this is philosophically consistent.
Changing the subject are we?

Both are net harms to your health, but one is illegal due to social taboo and the other is legal due to social acceptance. They should both be legal and taxed heavily or both be illegal. Which do you think is the more likely possibility? Taxing both allows us to recoup the medical costs these users will create down the line.

It disgusts me how the left is literally trying to say that Christie is inept to be President because of his weight. Anyone could suffer a heart attack and f[inks]ing die while serving because it's a stressful job.

Christie is a fine politician, but the critique is valid, as are Obama's smoking habits. He is not just simply overweight here: he is morbidly obese, which only exacerbates the stress of the highest office. If he can lose the weight, all is well (hell, he could even lose it on the campaign trail like Huck).

Fat people aren't just statistics, and losing weight isn't as easy as following a three-step plan.

1. Examine your diet.
2. Immediately cut all fast food, restaurants, soda, alcohol, greasy food, junk food, friend food, and saturated fats out of your diet. Dramatically reduce red meat.
3. Supplement those foods with vitamins and healthier alternatives.
4. Reduce overall food/calorie intake.
5. Start exercising. Start slow. 3 20-minute power walks a week may be all you can do, but it will work wonders. Ramp up intensity as the fat drops and muscle builds.

You're right, it's not a 3-step plan. It's 5! I'll admit, it's not as easy as it appears on paper. It isn't that hard, either. The biggest reason the fatties can't drop the pounds is lack of will-power (which is typically rationalized as "Well I don't have the time/money!"). You can have a healthier diet and adequate exercise on a budget and busy schedule.

BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2012, 01:43:05 PM »

I actually think Christie is one of the more interesting and tolerable Republicans being discussed as a presidential hopeful, but his weight is cause for concern and he is definitely NOT that big and unhealthy genetically.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2012, 01:54:16 PM »

Where's Clarence to defend fats?
FloridaRepublican
justrhyno
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2012, 02:36:42 PM »

Just like Cleveland and Taft were too "fat" to be president? And neither of them died in office. Or maybe Taft was too "fat" to be Chief Justice for nine years? I can't believe this is even being talked about. If the parties were reversed, this would not be an issue.
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2012, 03:37:29 PM »

He needs a bypass.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2012, 06:43:41 PM »

Just like Cleveland and Taft were too "fat" to be president? And neither of them died in office. Or maybe Taft was too "fat" to be Chief Justice for nine years? I can't believe this is even being talked about. If the parties were reversed, this would not be an issue.

Let's make a very important fact clear: the responsibilities and activities conducted by the office of the Presidency have increased dramatically since Cleveland and Taft's time. The President has a vested role in domestic, economic, and foreign affairs; much more than the 1880s or 1910s.

Taft suffered from hypertension and sleep apnea. The first is a result of his weight, the second is possibly (but not necessarily the case) caused by his weight. It's amazing that he lived as long as he did. Granted, he would not shy away from hiking or other strenuous physical activity, so he was better than the average obese America.

Another thing: Christie himself has admitted that his weight is a problem and he needs to drop the pounds. He suffers a common cause of persistent obesity: he eats too much and what he does eat is bad for him. He should hire a staffer whose only job is to feed him, and will provide him with smaller portions and healthier options.
solarstorm
solarstorm2012
United States
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2012, 01:04:53 AM »

It depends on which party you're a member of:

If you're a fat Republican, you are said to be such a successful and rich lover of freedom that you can afford all the food you'd like to eat. You live the American dream.

If you are an overweight Democrat, however, they say that you are uneducated, ill-disciplined, and disgusting. You are unworthy of food stamps.
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2012, 08:21:57 PM »

Changing the subject are we?

Both are net harms to your health, but one is illegal due to social taboo and the other is legal due to social acceptance. They should both be legal and taxed heavily or both be illegal. Which do you think is the more likely possibility? Taxing both allows us to recoup the medical costs these users will create down the line.

It disgusts me how the left is literally trying to say that Christie is inept to be President because of his weight. Anyone could suffer a heart attack and f[inks]ing die while serving because it's a stressful job.

Christie is a fine politician, but the critique is valid, as are Obama's smoking habits. He is not just simply overweight here: he is morbidly obese, which only exacerbates the stress of the highest office. If he can lose the weight, all is well (hell, he could even lose it on the campaign trail like Huck).

1. Examine your diet.
2. Immediately cut all fast food, restaurants, soda, alcohol, greasy food, junk food, friend food, and saturated fats out of your diet. Dramatically reduce red meat.
3. Supplement those foods with vitamins and healthier alternatives.
4. Reduce overall food/calorie intake.
5. Start exercising. Start slow. 3 20-minute power walks a week may be all you can do, but it will work wonders. Ramp up intensity as the fat drops and muscle builds.

You're right, it's not a 3-step plan. It's 5! I'll admit, it's not as easy as it appears on paper. It isn't that hard, either. The biggest reason the fatties can't drop the pounds is lack of will-power (which is typically rationalized as "Well I don't have the time/money!"). You can have a healthier diet and adequate exercise on a budget and busy schedule.

What are "friend foods"?

Right on! Although it was more acceptable (and less common) to be fat then, wasn't it? Personally, I hope I don't end up like Christie, although he should only lose the pounds if HE wants to.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2012, 01:17:07 AM »

There might be health questions, but no candidate competing with him would dare go superficial. It would be "legitimate rape" redux to do so. However if he runs, his campaign will probably have him package a physical and subsequent statement from his Dr along with his financial disclosure during the primaries, making it a non-issue by the general.
milhouse24
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2012, 11:15:47 AM »

Christie doesn't look that bad behind a podium, and he speaks pretty well. 

I don't think weight will be that bad since there won't be many shots of him walking around.  He just needs to stand behind a podium and deliver great speeches, its worked for other Presidents. 
Bluegrassball
Rookie

« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2012, 01:44:24 PM »
« Edited: November 08, 2012, 01:48:59 PM by Bluegrassball »

In my view Christie's weight will weigh on the minds of voters much in the same way age does. Yes, "anybody can die in office" as somebody mentioned, but that is simply ignoring the reality that older and unhealthier people have a much higher risk.

IF Biden runs in '16 he will have to address the age issue, and nobody will question the legitimacy of that. However for the same reasons Christie will have to address his health, and no matter how many doctors he trots out to say he is fine (which he may be at that moment), his VP choice, like Biden's, will be VERY important in voters minds.

So save me the Republican victimhood crap.

What we essentially have people here is people arguing that one's health has nothing to do with their ability to serve as POTUS. That is a completely illogical and blind stance to have, however you are driven there simply because you support his candidacy. Are you even thinking about what you are saying?

Why can't you guys just say "yeah, he needs to lose weight or it could be a problem."?

The cognitive dissonance is stinking up the whole thread...

fwiw, as an Obama supporter I will go on record: Smoking is bad, and he needs to stop or it could become a problem.

See how easy that was?
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2012, 03:56:15 PM »

I think if he actually focused and lost a ton (a la Huckabee), it'd add a pretty great narrative to an otherwise very electable candidate.
dspNY
United States

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2012, 10:27:15 PM »

Christie has to drop the weight, the man is in VERY poor health. He had to be rushed to the hospital at least once last year for chest pains
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2012, 04:33:23 AM »

I think if he actually focused and lost a ton (a la Huckabee), it'd add a pretty great narrative to an otherwise very electable candidate.
Very true. If he committed to losing the weight and actually did it, it could actually greatly enhance his already good chances in 2016. Worth much more than the millions of dollars spent on advertising.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies