The Koch Brothers do what Westgate did....
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:12:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  The Koch Brothers do what Westgate did....
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Koch Brothers do what Westgate did....  (Read 1143 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 14, 2012, 04:43:24 PM »

Only they are a lot bigger
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 04:50:30 PM »

If you can't get the Wall Street candidate elected by funneling millions through SuperPACs, I suppose holding the nation's economy for ransom is the second best way to do it!
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 04:58:50 PM »

This has been a trick of the far-right for quite a while. When William Jennings Bryan became a clear threat to the northern industrialist establishment, employees were threatened with layoffs if they voted for the candidate who supported a government of the people instead of a government of the robber barons. Of course, Romney is a robber baron himself, not just a puppet of them, making him a double threat.
wan
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 05:18:39 PM »

I'm starting to think these polls that have Romney leading by a few points are way off and Romney is not leading. If Romney was beating Obama fair and square why all Romney buddies are threatening there employees and Ohio attorney general trying to change the voting rules ect. The koch bros. must know Romney is really losing
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 05:20:46 PM »

Please, please tell me this isn't legal... and even if it is, this is a sure sign of desperation from the far right. Problem is, this sort of voter intimidation, combined with other forms of voter intimidation (ie stringent voter ID requirements that the poor can't meet, armed Tea Party "election monitors" at the polls, etc.) just might work.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 05:25:37 PM »

Is it just me or has Mitt Romney inspired the super rich of this country to act like 19th century robber barons. These 'job creators' are threatening to fire their employees, forcing them to stand up as props for Romeny commercials, even threatening to raise the price of Pizza.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 05:48:12 PM »

I think I would be free to tell my clients, "Hey, if Obama is reelected, my taxes are going up, so I will have to charge you more."  Now, in all fairness, that is probably not the case and I wouldn't do it, but if it were, I think that would be perfectly legal.

As Obama said, "Elections have consequences."
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 06:06:34 PM »

This doesn't make any sense at all.  Business owners who do this to prove a political point are just buying a one way ticket to poverty.  Obama's more progressive tax code is going to hurt them initially sure, but it's always going to give consumers more spending money which will increase demand and thus require a supply of more employees---whom they fired, are bitter, are more skilled, and could probably form competitive small businesses that would eat away at their potential profit margins.

I can't see this ending well for them.  Surely the Koch Brothers are just posturing and aren't seriously considering letting their competitors swoop up their skilled workers just 'cause.

I think I would be free to tell my clients, "Hey, if Obama is reelected, my taxes are going up, so I will have to charge you more."  Now, in all fairness, that is probably not the case and I wouldn't do it, but if it were, I think that would be perfectly legal.

As Obama said, "Elections have consequences."

What is it you do again J.J.?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 06:34:06 PM »

Maybe Warren Buffet can counter by hiring 25,000,000 part time workers to work from October 20 to November 10th, cause a record jobs report, and end the recession for Election Day.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 06:37:46 PM »

I do some consulting.  It is strictly non partisan, though I do work for political people at times.  I do a limited amount, largely due to health reasons. 
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 07:32:24 PM »

The Kochs are just pathetic. I can understand why a self-made guy like David Siegel wants to fight tooth and nail to minimize his tax burden and views all the people of similarly humble origins who didn't make it big with disdain. But Charles and David Koch got a major company handed to them on a silver platter that their daddy built. If they had come out of a uterus that didn't belong to Mrs. Koch, they'd be middle managers making $50K a year and going to Tea Party rallies thinking they're John Galt.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 08:11:33 PM »

This has been a trick of the far-right for quite a while. When William Jennings Bryan became a clear threat to the northern industrialist establishment, employees were threatened with layoffs if they voted for the candidate who supported a government of the people instead of a government of the robber barons. Of course, Romney is a robber baron himself, not just a puppet of them, making him a double threat.

The robber barons are definitely on the upswing as Western Tradition Partnership, Inc. v. Attorney General of Montana showed.
milhouse24
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 08:54:26 PM »

Aren't some restaurant chains already minimizing work hours and making more workers part-time in order to avoid the Obama-care fines? 

Beleive it or not, Businesses have to determine how Obama-care will affect their budgets, and if they don't want to pay the Health Care fines, then they will simply fire more employees. 

We don't really need unemployment numbers to go down, especially if the unemployed and poor can get affordable health care with the government, and other benefits.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2012, 10:39:21 PM »

Aren't some restaurant chains already minimizing work hours and making more workers part-time in order to avoid the Obama-care fines? 

Olive Garden and Red Lobster are, but at the same time, they'll still need the same amount of total hours in their restaurants a week, so they'll hire even more people in the end and those with hours cut will end up working at restaurants who also cut their hours to part time and need more workers.

In the end, this could lower the unemployment rate majorly.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2012, 11:31:33 PM »

Please, please tell me this isn't legal... and even if it is, this is a sure sign of desperation from the far right. Problem is, this sort of voter intimidation, combined with other forms of voter intimidation (ie stringent voter ID requirements that the poor can't meet, armed Tea Party "election monitors" at the polls, etc.) just might work.

It is the sort of thing that will be legalized after the fact of a smashing R victory that establishes a Christian and Corporate State. The thralldom of a once-free and once-prosperous people offers tremendous opportunities for profit. Of course it is up to us to protect American democracy from the inside so that we don't become the favorite right-wing bromide of a "republic not a democracy". Like Greece under the colonels or Chile under Pinochet. No freedom, but no king!
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2012, 11:34:21 PM »

It is the sort of thing that will be legalized after the fact of a smashing R victory that establishes a Christian and Corporate State. The thralldom of a once-free and once-prosperous people offers tremendous opportunities for profit. Of course it is up to us to protect American democracy from the inside so that we don't become the favorite right-wing bromide of a "republic not a democracy". Like Greece under the colonels or Chile under Pinochet. No freedom, but no king!

I really wouldn't want to use Greece as a model right now.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2012, 10:18:10 AM »

So I wonder if the Koch's and Westgate will follow through?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies