What's the last movie you've seen?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:57:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What's the last movie you've seen?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 209 210 211 [212]
Author Topic: What's the last movie you've seen?  (Read 623488 times)
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5275 on: October 05, 2012, 10:07:36 PM »

I seen The Perks of Being A Wallflower in downtown Philadelphia tonight. Really enjoyed it. Excellent film.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #5276 on: October 06, 2012, 07:10:54 PM »

The Grateful Dead Movie.

If you can't tell, I am now really into the Grateful Dead.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5277 on: October 07, 2012, 12:42:02 AM »

V/H/S

The premise of this movie worked out a lot better than most do since it doesn't have to be full of filler in between stupid maniacs slaughtering teenagers or bizarre tortures. Kind of a good example of what Paranormal Activity should've been like. All the segments different in quality though, the first was the best, the third also worked pretty well, the second and fourth had some good effects but didn't really make much sense, and the last one had a decent sort of twist and great visual effects for what had to be such a low budget, but was kind of dumb regardless. I think it'd also work better watching it by yourself on DVD instead of in a crowded theater too.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5278 on: October 09, 2012, 03:05:14 PM »

saw The Master a few days ago at the cinema.  thought the plot fell apart about halfway through but the acting still made it watchable.  then I watched Punch-Drunk Love on my computer which I actually liked a lot.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5279 on: October 09, 2012, 03:06:07 PM »

The Master

This was worth watching a lot more for the acting and awesome cinematography than plot or story, it didn't have much of one really, it was kind of just a bunch of vignettes about the interactions of the Hoffman character and the Joaquin Phoenix character. Phoenix really impressed me, Hoffman was up to par but that's expected, Phoenix well exceeded my expectations. It's no There Will Be Blood though but I wasn't expecting that to be topped.

what's your favorite PTA film?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5280 on: October 09, 2012, 04:38:27 PM »

Easily There Will Be Blood. I haven't seen Punch-Drunk Love yet but I can't see an Adam Sandler movie topping that one.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5281 on: October 09, 2012, 04:53:14 PM »

it's a very atypical Sandler performance.  nothing to do with his Billy Madison/Happy Gilmore formula characters.

but no it's not better than TWBB.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #5282 on: October 09, 2012, 06:05:47 PM »

Samsara

Half-Nelson

© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5283 on: October 09, 2012, 06:16:55 PM »

going on a movie run to try to get my attention span back.  just watched My Cousin Vinny.  not terribly good but culturally important to get around to.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5284 on: October 09, 2012, 08:11:58 PM »

The Master - I really wanted to like it, but I am not sure that I can really give a "like or dislike" opinion on it.  On the one hand, the acting was great (Joaquin Phoenix in particular was phenomenal and may well win Best Actor for his performance).  Additionally, there were a number of interesting (if under-explored) themes that each dominated a certain portion of the film (as a result, there were many great scenes in the film even if the film's parts were greater than its whole).  However, the plot lacked a clear sense of direction and I am still not sure what exactly the movie was supposed to be about (it felt like it didn't really commit to any specific theme or themes).  That said, it was always engaging and I am glad that I saw it.  At least between The Master and There Will Be Blood Paul Thomas Anderson seems to be finally delivering on his potential as a film-maker (I thought Boogie Nights was awful and extremely overrated while Magnolia could've been a good movie if Anderson had been able to decide which movie he wanted to make, although it too is rather overrated).  There Will Be Blood is easily Anderson's best work, but I'd give The Master 4 stars out of 5 (though it would be 3 out of five were the acting not so strong).
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5285 on: October 09, 2012, 10:43:08 PM »

Most of PTA's films don't really have "plots" in the traditional sense, they're just stories set around a certain premise or character(s). Even TWBB could be easily summarized as "An oil man's rise and his rivalry with a preacher in the early 20th century." The Master is basically just (minor spoilers ahead but as most reviews have noted, this shouldn't ruin your enjoyment of the film, you can still quit reading here regardless) "A WWII veteran drifter runs into a charismatic cult leader, becomes his trusted associate, then has a falling out and goes back to being a drifter." And his stories never have silly M. Night Shymalayan type twists or anything either, but that's because they don't need them, and are about other things. And it usually works, but it does take some getting used to.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5286 on: October 10, 2012, 12:17:35 AM »

I don't think I'll be watching the Master.  If people who loved TWBB are mixed, then as someone who only appreciated TWBB, I won't be able to see through it.

Did you guys hear Adele's Skyfall song?  That movie's going to be good.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5287 on: October 10, 2012, 12:24:26 AM »

It's obviously not my type of music but it definitely sounds like a Bond theme song. That Jack White/Alicia Keys thing wasn't very Bond-esque at all.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5288 on: October 10, 2012, 12:31:59 AM »

Not that I disagree, but plenty of awful movies have had great songs (for example, Diamonds Are Forever and Moonraker).
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5289 on: October 10, 2012, 12:33:36 AM »

Well, the song helps, but I've been waiting for this since I heard Sam Mendes was going to direct.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5290 on: October 10, 2012, 01:11:55 AM »

Easily There Will Be Blood. I haven't seen Punch-Drunk Love yet but I can't see an Adam Sandler movie topping that one.

It won't top TWBB for you but I really think you'd like it. Sandler is honestly great in it and I'm someone who genuinely can't stand him at all 95% of the time.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #5291 on: October 10, 2012, 01:33:14 AM »

Cabin In The Woods
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5292 on: October 10, 2012, 11:14:13 AM »

It won't top TWBB for you but I really think you'd like it. Sandler is honestly great in it and I'm someone who genuinely can't stand him at all 95% of the time.

goofball actors can sometimes actually act when given the opportunity.  Jim Carrey comes to mind.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5293 on: October 14, 2012, 11:29:50 PM »

Argo.

I'll review it in the other thread.
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

« Reply #5294 on: October 15, 2012, 12:28:08 AM »

Taken 2
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5295 on: October 15, 2012, 11:41:23 PM »

Sinister.

This was better than standard for an American horror movie, which I usually don't like (not a fan of movies that just consist of a crazed maniac murdering people or people getting killed in bizarre torture ways, which makes up most American horror movies), often quite creepy and impressively done in lots of scenes considering how low the budget was, but still had too many horror movie cliches, especially the ending. But miles ahead of any Saw or Hostel type movie or all those Paranormal Activity clones.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #5296 on: October 17, 2012, 08:29:41 PM »

Dave has given soft guidelines to keep threads to about 2,000 replies, as apparently the more replies a thread has, the more burden it puts on the server, so I'm going to lock this and start a new thread.
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 209 210 211 [212]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies