How does one become a moderator?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:23:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  How does one become a moderator?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: How does one become a moderator?  (Read 1257 times)
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 15, 2012, 04:08:25 PM »

How does one become a moderator? I've always fellt I would be a good forum moderator, but I could be very very wrong.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 04:09:35 PM »

In general, people that want to be moderators are usually not good moderators.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 04:12:03 PM »

Yeah at least replace the mods that aren't active with active ones.

In general, people that want to be moderators are usually not good moderators.

Like me!
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 04:17:04 PM »

You don't become a moderator, as the struggled to get Torie on the mod team has proved.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 04:26:32 PM »

It's a bit like trying to get a teaching post in a humanities department at a German university.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 04:28:31 PM »

It's a bit like trying to get a teaching post in a humanities department at a German university.

LOL Cheesy
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 04:50:37 PM »

Oh well. Sounded like it could be fun at times.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 05:45:39 PM »

sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 05:48:36 PM »

How am I brown nosing? It's not like I'm writing a diatribe on how Bacon King is the most amazing moderator ever.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 06:00:03 PM »

I think reading some Sartre or perhaps Beckett will give you  a good handle on how one becomes or departs the moderator position.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 06:12:04 PM »

How am I brown nosing? It's not like I'm writing a diatribe on how Bacon King is the most amazing moderator ever.

I think that was meant more to answer the question, 'How does one become a moderator?'.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 06:45:23 PM »

I think that was meant more to answer the question, 'How does one become a moderator?'.

Ah, that makes sense.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 07:15:25 PM »

It's impossible to do now, because Dave has stopped responding to any emails about moderation, even from Nym.  Even when Dave created the 2016 board, he just copied over the existing moderators from the 2012 board, without asking any of us if we wanted to mod the new board.  All existing mods thus appear to have lifetime appointments, with no possibility of additions or subtractions, whether we like it or not.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 10:42:49 PM »

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 11:03:48 PM »

It's impossible to do now, because Dave has stopped responding to any emails about moderation, even from Nym.  Even when Dave created the 2016 board, he just copied over the existing moderators from the 2012 board, without asking any of us if we wanted to mod the new board.  All existing mods thus appear to have lifetime appointments, with no possibility of additions or subtractions, whether we like it or not.

To follow up on this, someone should do a "what if" timeline about some kind of post-apocalyptic Atlas future, in which, 10 years from now, Nym has quit, most of the other current moderators have moved on to other things and never visit Atlas anymore, and there are only a couple of mods left who still come here, but they have control of just a few boards.  The rest of Atlas continues on without any moderation, but Dave is oblivious and doesn't realize that most of his moderators are gone.  The remaining mods live in hiding, in fear of some kind of cyber attack from the dozens of Atheist2006 socks who patrol the forum.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2012, 11:17:43 PM »

To follow up on this, someone should do a "what if" timeline about some kind of post-apocalyptic Atlas future, in which, 10 years from now, Nym has quit, most of the other current moderators have moved on to other things and never visit Atlas anymore, and there are only a couple of mods left who still come here, but they have control of just a few boards.  The rest of Atlas continues on without any moderation, but Dave is oblivious and doesn't realize that most of his moderators are gone.  The remaining mods live in hiding, in fear of some kind of cyber attack from the dozens of Atheist2006 socks who patrol the forum.

We really do need to give more control to multiple people.  There should honestly probably be a second Modadmin, and they should be given additional powers, such as making people mods, approving members, creation of boards.  Basically everything short of shutting down the site.  Lunar would have been a good candidate.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2012, 12:21:35 AM »

We really do need to give more control to multiple people.  There should honestly probably be a second Modadmin, and they should be given additional powers, such as making people mods, approving members, creation of boards.  Basically everything short of shutting down the site.  Lunar would have been a good candidate.

Only Dave can give what you suggest, and he's not even responding to requests for routine changes in moderator staff.  How on Earth would we get him to go along with the above?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2012, 12:23:15 AM »

Moderatorship is thrust upon you by Dave.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2012, 12:36:39 AM »

Only Dave can give what you suggest, and he's not even responding to requests for routine changes in moderator staff.  How on Earth would we get him to go along with the above?

Probably an e-mail from the mod team detailing our concerns.  This is something to do post-election.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2012, 01:04:16 AM »

Probably an e-mail from the mod team detailing our concerns.  This is something to do post-election.

Yes, Dave is so responsive to email:

I should mention that I've emailed Dave a couple times about adding Torie has a mod to Individual Politics.

So Dave never responded on this?

No, and I sent him about 5 or 6 emails...
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2012, 01:07:29 AM »

QUOTES FROM THE MODERATOR BOARD!!
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2012, 01:19:16 AM »

Remember that time Bushie PM'd Dave once about being a mod and he made him a mod?

God's great.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2012, 01:40:34 AM »

What?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2012, 01:41:23 AM »

But that was before the election.  He'll have more time after the election.  At least that's my hope.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2012, 02:06:28 AM »

He'll have less time after the election, actually, but the philosophy basically seems to be "If it ain't broke".

As I've said before, there are only two or three forums I'd happily moderate, and they already have excellent moderators.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies