In an electoral tie with a Democratic sentate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:22:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  In an electoral tie with a Democratic sentate
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: In an electoral tie with a Democratic sentate  (Read 1149 times)
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 15, 2012, 06:46:14 PM »

Lets say we get a 269-269 tie and the house puts Romney forward as president. Would the senate democrats HAVE to put Biden forward? Could they put forward Obama or someone else instead as VP? I see people mention that Romney/Biden would be the result of a tie but I'm not sure the senate would choose Biden; its not like he's the most articulate advocate of Democratic policies.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 06:48:32 PM »

The VP has little real power anyway, but Biden has many friends in the chamber, owing to his long service there. Most likely in the event of a tie, Romney would be stuck with Biden as Vice President.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 06:56:29 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if the Republicans tried to use the filibuster in this scenario. Tongue
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 06:57:59 PM »

Would be the funnest 4 years of Biden's life. Come in at 10, call President Romney a moron, take a 90 minute lunch, surf the web, go home at 2.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 07:01:47 PM »

A Romney/Biden administration will be ultimate gridlock, and nothing will get done.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 07:11:50 PM »

Romney/Biden sounds like a fun exercise. 'specially since Romney will have all the real power.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 07:13:28 PM »

Lets say we get a 269-269 tie and the house puts Romney forward as president. Would the senate democrats HAVE to put Biden forward? Could they put forward Obama or someone else instead as VP? I see people mention that Romney/Biden would be the result of a tie but I'm not sure the senate would choose Biden; its not like he's the most articulate advocate of Democratic policies.

If I remember correctly, the constitution specifies that the senate must choose from the top two recipients of the Electoral Vote, so the choice is between Biden and Ryan.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 07:13:39 PM »

It would probably go something like this:

Truly, a great time to be American.  Unfortunately, too few Americans would appreciate it's beauty.

As crazy as it sounds, in this scenario, midterms might actually become a referendum on which one should be impeached.  Democrats promising to move forward with President Biden and Republicans campaigning for Romney and a Republican to finish out the term.  If gridlock happens, that election might be closer than you'd think.  

That would be a very tumultuous time for America.  Let's hope it doesn't happen.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 07:15:34 PM »

Actually, if I were Democrats, knowing Obama has lost in the House, in this situation I'd go hard and tell all my electors to cast their ballot for Biden for President and Obama for Vice President and then the Senate would make Obama the Vice President.   That would make the prospect of a midterm referendum about continuing with Romney or returning to Obama very compelling.
Kalimantan
Indonesia

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -1.74

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 07:18:39 PM »

All rather depends on the PV winner I think as to who has legitimacy. Romney wins, a lot of pressure on Biden to stand aside and let Ryan take it. Obama wins the PV, Biden is almost obliged to stand in.

Of course if Obama wins PV, there will be huge pressure on house to elect him President
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 07:22:12 PM »

Of course if Obama wins PV, there will be huge pressure on house to elect him President

That would require about 25 Republicans who have no plans to run for re-election.
Chaddyr23
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.19, S: -5.83

P P
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 07:36:14 PM »

A Romney/Biden administration will be ultimate gridlock, and nothing will get done.

Hey if Republicans want to claim they are bipartisan let them prove it here!
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 07:56:14 PM »

The 12th amendment says that the Senate has to pick from the two people with the most electoral votes for Vice President, so Ryan and Biden would be the only options.

Unless this...
Actually, if I were Democrats, knowing Obama has lost in the House, in this situation I'd go hard and tell all my electors to cast their ballot for Biden for President and Obama for Vice President and then the Senate would make Obama the Vice President.

That's theoretically possible, but you'd have to coordinate that with the electors and basically concede the House election before the electoral votes are even cast. More importantly, it'd look like political gamesmanship at a time when both parties would be trying to get their guy elected while still making the process look as legit to the public as possible.

If Romney won the popular vote, Biden might just decide to step aside and request that the Senate elect Ryan. One or two Democratic Senators might also be under pressure to defect and choose Ryan, so I'm not sure how likely a Romney/Biden administration really is.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 08:01:44 PM »

If a Romney/Biden administration were to happen, does Biden run a 3rd term during Romney's reelection campaign in 2016?
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 08:07:36 PM »

If a Romney/Biden administration were to happen, does Biden run a 3rd term during Romney's reelection campaign in 2016?

That would indeed make 2016 awkward. The Democratic nominee would have to decide whether or not to pick someone other than the sitting Vice President as their running mate.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2012, 09:10:56 PM »
« Edited: October 15, 2012, 09:24:44 PM by Malia Obama »

That's theoretically possible, but you'd have to coordinate that with the electors and basically concede the House election before the electoral votes are even cast. More importantly, it'd look like political gamesmanship at a time when both parties would be trying to get their guy elected while still making the process look as legit to the public as possible.

Looking it up, it appears the House can actually vote amongst the Top 3 for President, but the Senate can vote only amongst the Top 2.   So all they would need to do is coordinate 135 votes for Biden-Obama and 134 votes for Obama-Biden, and they would still able to campaign both Obama for President or Vice President as compromise.  

Of course, Romney-Ryan could split themselves, too.  Depending on how that goes down and the scheming could create all sorts of fun such as Ryan, Biden, and Romney being the Presidential vote with Romney and Obama as the Vice Presidential vote.  At which the Congress would be faced with a Catch-22: elect a President Ryan or Biden, whom not a single voter cast a ballot for and face the unpopular consequences, or give the election to Romney, which leaves Obama as the only the Vice Presidential ballot candidate eligible to be elected.  Or vice versa if Obama 3rd and Romney 4th.

If 269-269 ever happens, the electoral college will likely be removed soon thereafter.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2012, 09:18:03 PM »

Guys, Romney as president and Biden as VP would hardly qualify as a "Romney/Biden administration".  There's no law that says that the president has to include the vice president in any Cabinet meetings, or meet with him in any capacity, ever.

If Biden became VP in this scenario, he'd spend all his time on Capitol Hill presiding over the Senate, and acting as the "101st Senator".  Reid would try to find a way to include him in the caucus somehow, even though he wouldn't legally be a senator.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2012, 09:32:03 PM »

Not to worry.

In this extremely unlikely scenario, President Romney would be sending Vice President Biden on extended overseas missions.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2012, 09:39:40 PM »

Not to worry.

In this extremely unlikely scenario, President Romney would be sending Vice President Biden on extended overseas missions.
Or maybe he'll make Biden do all the dishes in the Whitehouse kitchen for a month or two.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2012, 10:08:07 PM »

You can forget about Obama.

From the 12th Amendment:

The person having the greatest number of votes as Vice-President, shall be the Vice-President, if such number be a majority of the whole number of Electors appointed, and if no person have a majority, then from the two highest numbers on the list, the Senate shall choose the Vice-President; a quorum for the purpose shall consist of two-thirds of the whole number of Senators, and a majority of the whole number shall be necessary to a choice. But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States.

If it were Romney/Biden, I would not be too surprised if there would be no office for him in the White House.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2012, 10:13:42 PM »

You can forget about Obama.

From the 12th Amendment:

The person having the greatest number of votes as Vice-President, shall be the Vice-President, if such number be a majority of the whole number of Electors appointed, and if no person have a majority, then from the two highest numbers on the list, the Senate shall choose the Vice-President; a quorum for the purpose shall consist of two-thirds of the whole number of Senators, and a majority of the whole number shall be necessary to a choice. But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States.

If it were Romney/Biden, I would not be too surprised if there would be no office for him in the White House.
More like, Biden's only office is the outhouse.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2012, 10:18:48 PM »

Oh, come on now, they gotta let Joe have his White House office, don't they?  Or they will look petty.

Probably won't get invited to cabinet meetings, though.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2012, 10:32:47 PM »

I can see some 'For the Good of America and Our National Security' calls for the Senate to elect Ryan -- especially if Romney wins the PV
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2012, 10:45:39 PM »

I can see some 'For the Good of America and Our National Security' calls for the Senate to elect Ryan -- especially if Romney wins the PV

I wouldn't count on it.  If there is a 269-269, we will most assuredly have a Romney/Biden administration.  Dems won't back down, and hey, why should they?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2012, 10:52:12 PM »

I wouldn't count on it.  If there is a 269-269, we will most assuredly have a Romney/Biden administration.  Dems won't back down, and hey, why should they?

it may only take 1 or 2 defectors.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies