In an electoral tie with a Democratic sentate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:58:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  In an electoral tie with a Democratic sentate
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: In an electoral tie with a Democratic sentate  (Read 1150 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2012, 10:54:11 PM »

I can see some 'For the Good of America and Our National Security' calls for the Senate to elect Ryan -- especially if Romney wins the PV

I wouldn't count on it.  If there is a 269-269, we will most assuredly have a Romney/Biden administration.  Dems won't back down, and hey, why should they?

it may only take 1 or 2 defectors.

Perhaps 1 or 2 defectors will then lead to a tie......with Biden casting the deciding vote for himself!
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2012, 10:54:53 PM »

I can see some 'For the Good of America and Our National Security' calls for the Senate to elect Ryan -- especially if Romney wins the PV

I wouldn't count on it.  If there is a 269-269, we will most assuredly have a Romney/Biden administration.  Dems won't back down, and hey, why should they?

Perhaps 1 or 2 defectors will then lead to a tie......with Biden casting the deciding vote for himself!

they only defect if they know it will be decisive of course.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2012, 11:02:36 PM »

Because there are a number of the up for election in 2014. 
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2012, 11:16:13 PM »

Yeah, and imagine yourself in Joe Manchin's shoes in this scenario, especially if Romney wins the popular vote. 

If Biden was effectively frozen out of the Romney administration, I wonder who Romney would delegate all the usual veep business to. One of the cabinet members? Or would he appoint someone (possibly keeping Ryan on) to be a "special adviser" to the president, basically acting as an unofficial VP.

If 269-269 ever happens, the electoral college will likely be removed soon thereafter.

This.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2012, 11:39:04 PM »

Well, if there's a 50-50 tie in the Senate, Biden can break the tie for for the tie for himself.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2012, 12:24:05 AM »

If Biden was effectively frozen out of the Romney administration, I wonder who Romney would delegate all the usual veep business to.

There isn't really such a thing as "usual veep business".  For much of American history, the VP didn't really do anything, and no on cared.  If we went for a while without a vice president, would the country even notice?
Kalimantan
Indonesia

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -1.74

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2012, 12:34:21 AM »

If a tie happened the winner of the PV would be claiming legitimacy, which would create a big argument in either the house for Obama or in the senate for Ryan. Would be messy as hell
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2012, 12:40:49 AM »

Well, if there's a 50-50 tie in the Senate, Biden can break the tie for for the tie for himself.
Actually no, I don't think he can.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2012, 12:55:13 AM »

Actually no, I don't think he can.

Yes, he can.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2012, 09:25:52 AM »

This is a detailed argument, Tongue, but I have to agree with the poster formally known as JFern.  Biden will be in office when the vote is certified.  He is part of "the Senate."

The Republicans could prevent a quorum, however.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2012, 09:28:29 AM »

If a tie happened the winner of the PV would be claiming legitimacy, which would create a big argument in either the house for Obama or in the senate for Ryan. Would be messy as hell

And which party do you think is more likely to give up "for the good of the country"? I think we all know...
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2012, 04:21:16 AM »

Keep in mind also that an electoral tie would most likely happen in a scenario where Ohio, Iowa, and Nevada are all so close that there will have been weeks, if not months, of recounts, and months of litigation.  The whole thing would likely be at least as controversial as the 2000 recounts.  When that part finishes, and we're left with an electoral tie and the fight moves to Congress, whichever side has "lost" the recounts will be extremely bitter, and reluctant to give up the vice presidency (or for that matter the presidency!) just "for the good of the country".
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2012, 05:43:59 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised if in a tie with a clear (ie Gore like) PV winner there would be a faithless elector supporting the winner before it reached the house. If it really is close, then it would get awfully messy.
Spanish Moss
United States

« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2012, 05:52:24 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised if in a tie with a clear (ie Gore like) PV winner there would be a faithless elector supporting the winner before it reached the house. If it really is close, then it would get awfully messy.

You can bet both major campaigns would be vying hard for the faithless electors.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2012, 08:04:54 AM »

Romney is already in danger of losing a couple of electors to Paul:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=159150.15

So in a "tie" scenario, a single defector from the Obama column still might not be enough for him to reach 270.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2012, 08:30:58 AM »

Yeah, and imagine yourself in Joe Manchin's shoes in this scenario, especially if Romney wins the popular vote. 

If Biden was effectively frozen out of the Romney administration, I wonder who Romney would delegate all the usual veep business to. One of the cabinet members? Or would he appoint someone (possibly keeping Ryan on) to be a "special adviser" to the president, basically acting as an unofficial VP.

If 269-269 ever happens, the electoral college will likely be removed soon thereafter.

This.

That would be an interesting/weird role for Ryan. 

Scenarios:
Ryan keeps his house seat... would they make him speaker?

If Biden is considered "disabled" could he be removed from office ? 

A lame duck Senate could vote Biden in as VP and then the new Republican majority could vote on impeachment to remove him from office. 
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2012, 08:50:11 AM »

This.

That would be an interesting/weird role for Ryan. 

Scenarios:
Ryan keeps his house seat... would they make him speaker?

If Biden is considered "disabled" could he be removed from office ? 

A lame duck Senate could vote Biden in as VP and then the new Republican majority could vote on impeachment to remove him from office. 

The new congress votes.  You need 51 votes to elect your party's VP.  50-50 is a deadlock until someone crosses party lines. 

If it comes down to Angus King, he will vote for whichever VP would make his vote decisive for the next two years (i.e. Ryan if 50D-49R and Biden if 50R-49D).
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies