Are Republicans seriously claiming Romney was right on Obama's Libya comment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:14:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Are Republicans seriously claiming Romney was right on Obama's Libya comment
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Are Republicans seriously claiming Romney was right on Obama's Libya comment  (Read 6831 times)
Cryptic
Shadowlord88

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2012, 11:50:22 PM »
« edited: October 17, 2012, 12:02:37 AM by Shadowlord88 »

lol, he was referring to 911, read the transcript, he wouldn't confirm it was an act of terror on the View.  Took 14 days, but go ahead and believe him none of the other lies have stopped you.

Let's look at that section of the transcript, shall we. 

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Used Fox so no one can accuse me of only using liberal sources or something.  Also, the link was on hand cause a Facebook friend had it, but let's get into it.   

In the transcript, Obama clearly refers to the attack in Benghazi in the same paragraph as 9/11.  He talks about 9/11 and says "AND THEN last night we learned the news of this attack in Benghazi."  He tied 9/11 back to Benghazi in the very text of the transcript.  The "acts of terror" line applies to the attack on Benghazi just as much as 9/11.

Are you really going to try and argue that line only refers to 9/11 when he brought Benghazi up in the same paragraph in a clear comparison to 9/11 and doesn't switch the topic back to 9/11 before referring to "acts of terror?" 
M

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2012, 11:53:10 PM »

http://dailycaller.com/2012/10/16/crowley-was-out-of-line/
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2012, 11:57:22 PM »

This is seriously, seriously reaching... again, if that's the best you got...

Cryptic
Shadowlord88

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -6.09

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2012, 11:59:01 PM »

I'll add that blaming the moderator never helps historically, especially in Presidential races. 
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2012, 12:00:30 AM »

I think in the context, where Rice and the Press Secretary said it was a (nonexistent) mob, after Obama's comment, it clearly wasn't regarded as an "act of terror," and certainly not a terrorist attack.

That said, I think someone screwed up, and I can't for the life of me figure out why they kept the story going for two weeks, why Biden gave his statement in his debate and why Obama just didn't use a Bay of Pigs line (and this was no where nearly as serious as the Bay of Pigs).
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2012, 12:01:43 AM »

Next up, are Republicans going to argue that 2+2=5 when it comes to Romney's tax plan?
AmericanNation

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2012, 12:06:11 AM »

She walked back her mess up short of admitting she was wrong.  For her, that quickly, is basically admitting wrongdoing though.  This Obama screw up will dominate the news the next few days.  Even if he said Bengazi was a organized terror attack on 9.12, he and his administration than lied for the next 14 days which is worse than not saying it on 9.12 in some ways.    

I think in the context, where Rice and the Press Secretary said it was a (nonexistent) mob, after Obama's comment, it clearly wasn't regarded as an "act of terror," and certainly not a terrorist attack.

That said, I think someone screwed up, and I can't for the life of me figure out why they kept the story going for two weeks, why Biden gave his statement in his debate and why Obama just didn't use a Bay of Pigs line (and this was no where nearly as serious as the Bay of Pigs).

exactly, even their cover up/ screw up is epically bad. 
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2012, 12:08:07 AM »

You think arguing about the placement of a phrase in a statement... is going to be the story tomorrow?

Ah, ha.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2012, 12:11:12 AM »

You think arguing about the placement of a phrase in a statement... is going to be the story tomorrow?

Ah, ha.

Have you been awake the last month?  Romney went from 5 down to 5 up and this story has been going the entire time.  Add an epic lie by the president in front of a national audience and you think it will go away???  why would it go away?
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2012, 12:14:04 AM »

I think the story will the GOP whining about the moderator... and even if the specific story gets a lot of exposure - they play the video of Obama's speech, which wraps Benghazi VERY clearly into the 9/11 discussion.

There was no epic lie.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2012, 12:21:46 AM »

I think the story will the GOP whining about the moderator... and even if the specific story gets a lot of exposure - they play the video of Obama's speech, which wraps Benghazi VERY clearly into the 9/11 discussion.

There was no epic lie.
than 14 days completely contradicting your narrative,  Joe Biden's comments last week.  You lose three ways and you aren't even making an argument 1 way effectively. 
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2012, 12:26:23 AM »

Romney was wrong, but the spirit of what he was saying is pretty legitimate.

Obama called it an act of terror for rhetorical flourish, and then completely backtracked for two weeks.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2012, 12:30:36 AM »

While I'm hurt by your intellectual superiority... you haven't made a comment that discredits the president's story.

The president referred to Libya as 'an act of terror', but if you don't realise that there is a huge difference between 'an act of terror' and a planned act undertaken by a specific organised terrorist cell. An act of terror doesn't have to be undertaken by an organised terrorist cell.

It took 14 days to confirm it as a clear act perpetrated by a terrorist cell, as opposed to what they mistakenly thought was an act of terror brought about by incitement from the video and related to the video....

They are different...
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2012, 06:41:26 AM »

When Obama screws up, Democrats get a "woe is me" attitude and magnify it.  When Romney screws up, Republicans never, ever, EVER acknowledge it and insist that technically he was still right somehow.

Democrats could learn something from Republicans...
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2012, 06:44:46 AM »

It will be very easy for Obama to make an ad of this clip from the debate, and of the clip from him clearly labeling it an act of terror in the Rose Garden.  Too easy almost.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2012, 06:50:07 AM »

Romney went from 5 down to 5 up and this story has been going the entire time.

What the heck - you actually think something about Libya moved the polls?  Dude,those polls were move by racism (or even if we accept the right-wing version, Romney's 'acceptability', proven by debate success), certainly not some minor foreign policy detail that almost no swing voters understand or even know about at all.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2012, 08:15:54 AM »

Is there a specific reason why we're talking about this?
Wiz in Wis

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2012, 08:40:30 AM »

Am I the only one here who see's a disturbing underlying assumption on Romney's part that "strength" is "I will say strong things - like, 'Putin's a jerk, gosh darn it!'" I mean, is that all he's got.

Obama kills bin Laden, uses drones to decimate Al Qaeda, successfully removes our troops from harms way in Iraq, AND overthrow's Qaddafi, but the Republicans want him to give better speeches?!

The depths of the GOP fall on foreign policy are pretty amazing.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2012, 08:44:19 AM »

Is there a specific reason why we're talking about this?

Because Romney got caught lying but republicans are trying to keep lying their way out of it.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2012, 08:45:47 AM »

Kudos to Crowley on calling out the inaccuracy there.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2012, 09:51:13 AM »

While I'm hurt by your intellectual superiority... you haven't made a comment that discredits the president's story.

The president referred to Libya as 'an act of terror', but if you don't realise that there is a huge difference between 'an act of terror' and a planned act undertaken by a specific organised terrorist cell. An act of terror doesn't have to be undertaken by an organised terrorist cell.

It took 14 days to confirm it as a clear act perpetrated by a terrorist cell, as opposed to what they mistakenly thought was an act of terror brought about by incitement from the video and related to the video....

They are different...

The administration might adopt that story today, I don't know they've changed 20 times in the last month.  They might change to something else before the day is over. 

It will be very easy for Obama to make an ad of this clip from the debate, and of the clip from him clearly labeling it an act of terror in the Rose Garden.  Too easy almost.

Actually that would be extremely hard to do and will draw attention to this disaster for the president that I'm sure they want to "just go away". 
The truth writes ads much more easily:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFf0dUH3OtU&feature=related

Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2012, 11:41:04 AM »

Yes, it's called the plane of 'Reality'.
rwoy
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2012, 11:55:19 AM »

The amazing thing is the Republican reaction.  It is so pathetic.  Everyone makes mistakes.  The American people are more willing to accept it if Romney says "I made a mistake" and moves on than if he doubles down and tries to spin.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2012, 11:56:27 AM »

"you can't win but there are alternatives to fighting"

It's like dems all know this deep down and will never (overwhelmingly) engage in logic or facts or reality.  They are always reaching for an alternative to truth.   
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2012, 12:06:24 PM »

Obama indisputably called it an act of terror the next day. You lose.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies